The Sweetest of Hearts.1| T.S

By PeakyB003

If anyone in Birmingham had asked Polly Gray when the ice around Thomas Shelby's heart had started to melt, s... More

The sweetest of hearts.
Original Characters.
•Birmingham.
•Secrets out.
•To a fresh start.
•Bonfire.
•Trust.
•Truly something.
•Billy Kimber.
•The Cheltenham races.
•Hand grenade.
•The Boogeyman.
•A Gypsy wedding.
•A boy.
•Now you've seen me.
•Dead man's heart.
•Worcester race.
•Paddies.
•Expansion into London.
•Sabini.
•A visitor.
•The baker.
•Polly's never wrong.
•Two files.
•Grand reopening.
•Digbeth Kid.
•Quarter-Arab.
•Mr. Thomas Shelby.
•I do bad things.
•Like flies.
•Business first.
•Tommy always has a plan.
•Business is done.
•Maude Florence Shelby.
•In more ways now.
•English tea.
•Compromise.
•Sapphires.
•Mourning me.
•Won't break.
•A woman in Whales.
•Driven crazy with longing.
•Good Friday.
•A little early this year.
•The wandering Jew.
•Someone took him.
•I need to know who spoke.
•The sweetest of hearts.
The end.
Book 2.

•I love you.

6.9K 194 7
By PeakyB003

XVI. I love you.

At Polly's house, Ada was asleep on the living room couch, the best sleep she had gotten since her son was born. Polly and Maude were in the kitchen, Polly making tea while Maude cradled baby Karl in her arm, gently swaying him as he stared up at her with big and fascinated eyes.

Polly eyes Maude as she stirred the tea she had made, a soft and adoring smile on her face. "You are good with him." She commented as she placed a cup of tea in front of Maude before taking a seat by the table with her own cup of tea.

"He's an easy baby," Maude said softly as she looked down at Karl with an adoring smile, gently reaching out to run her fingers tips over his soft and chubby cheek.

Polly continued to watch her, remembering the look Tommy had gotten when he saw Maude holding the baby in the shop. She silently took a few sips of her tea before looking at Maude with a quirked eyebrow."Do you want children one day?"She asked.

Maude slowly nodded her head as she looked up at Polly."Yes, three or four of them." She replied with a soft smile.

"It's good to have plans for your future, Maude."Polly insisted with a nod of her head as the stared at the girl in front of her. "I think you will be good for Tommy."She added as a knowing smile tugged at her lips.

Maude looked at Polly with slightly wide eyes as her lips parted."Me and Tommy-" She began to explain, wanting to tell the older woman the relationship had barely begun, and neither of them had discussed it so far yet, although they both wanted a future together.

"I know my dear."Polly cut Maude off with an assuring smile. She took a few more sips of her tea, her gaze diverting down to the table. "He's been different since you arrived."She said softly as her eyes met Maude's again. "I'm glad he has you."

Maude smiled again, lowering her gaze for a second before turning back to Polly."What was he like before the war?" She asked softly as her head tilted to the side, curious of the man he was before France had stripped him from the warmth in his heart.

"He smiled and he laughed. He had a good heart. He enjoyed things."Polly replied softly as a sad smile tugged at her lips, her heart aching for the man Tommy used to be. Her eyes turned to Maude. "I've seen little bits of the old Thomas in the last few months."She added as her smile grew. "Ever since he met you." She insisted.

Maude silently stared at Polly for a second, pursing her lips and taking a deep breath before she spoke up, barely above a whisper, but still, Polly heard her. "I think I love him." She admitted as her gaze fell down to the table.

"I think he loves you as well," Polly revealed with a knowing smile when Maude's gaze shot toward her.

The front door of the house slammed open, making both Polly and Maude frown. "Ada! Wake up!" Tommy called out. "You and the baby, get into the bullring where there's lots of people," he ordered his sister before calling out for Maude with panic in his voice. "Maude, where are you?"

Maude and Polly shared a concerned look before getting up and rushing into the living room where Tommy stood. "What's going on?" Maude asked as she looked at Tommy with furrowed eyebrows, watching as he paced up and down the living room.

"We've been fucking betrayed," he informed them and Maude's heart sank as her eyes widened. "Someone let slip. Kimber's men are on their way here." He added and Maude's eyes went wider as she glanced at Polly.

"Yeah, but you can handle them, Tommy." Polly insisted as she stared at Tommy, her eyes wide as well as she looked between Maude and Ada.

Tommy shook his head as he ran a hand through his hair. " It's just us. All the Lees are on their way to Worcester, we're outnumbered." He informed them before slamming his hand down on the cabinet near the fireplace. "Fuck!" He yelled as he lowered his head, gripping onto the cabinet.

"Who else knew today was the day you were moving on Kimber?" Polly asked him before looking over at Maude, by now knowing Maude knew more than the rest of Tommy's family. "You said you kept it a secret. Who else did you tell?" She asked as she glanced between the two.

Realization hit Maude hard. "It's not who he told, it's who listened when he spoke." Maude insisted as she looked at Polly before turning towards the man in front of her. "Grace, Tommy." She told him firmly. "Harry told me this morning she conveniently left before the coppers showed up at the Garrison and she insisted a phone be installed. He said she often called her family, the same ones she told me she ran from." She explained as she stared at the back of Tommy's head. "I told you, barmaids fucking listen, Tommy."

"But how could she have known of this day?" Polly asked, her eyebrows deeply furrowing as she glanced between Tommy and Maude.

"Because she was working the bar when Tommy told me in the snug. She came in to serve me drinks while I had the dairies open." Maude explained, sighing deeply as she looked over at Polly before slowly turning to Tommy. "I think she's the one who told the coppers of the guns." She informed him, and he pushed himself away from the cabinet, turning to face her. "That's what I wanted to talk to you about when you got back...I didn't think she'd go this far."

Polly glanced at Tommy, seeing in his eyes that he was on the same page as Maude as he nodded his head. "I'll deal with Grace." She insisted as she glanced between Tommy and Maude with pursed lips.

"If you set eyes on her again, you might kill her." She said as her gaze landed on Tommy for a second before she turned around and rushed off.

"You stay here with Ada and the baby." Tommy insisted as he grabbed Maude's face between his hands, giving her a stern look that silently warned and begged her not to defy him on this. He'd let her defy him on anything, but not her safety. Never her safety.

"Please be careful." She begged him as she placed her hands on top of his, staring up at him with frightened eyes. Tommy nodded his head, pressing a soft and warm kiss to her lips before he pulled away from her.

"Ada, Freddie's back." He informed his sister before making his way towards the front door and leaving the home, leaving Maude and Ada to share confused and shocked looks.

The two girls stayed at the house, waiting for Polly to come back from her talk with Grace before they'd go to the bullring as Tommy had instructed them. Maude was sitting on the couch, arms crossed over her chest and foot tapping rapidly against Polly's hardwood floor. She listened as Ada went through Polly's room, searching for something, doing something.

Ada returned a few minutes after wandering off, dressed in one of Polly's black church dresses, a veil covering her face. "Here, put these on." She instructed as she handed Maude a black dress with a matching black veil.

Maude stared at Ada with furrowed eyebrows, confusion clear in her deep blue eyes. "Ada, what are you wearing? "She asked as she raised her eyebrows at the girl.

"Those men are out there, getting ready to kill each other. My brothers are out there, and so are yours. The man I love is out there, and so is the man you love." Ada explained as she pointed towards the front door of the home, her voice shaking with all her pent-up emotions. "We have to stop them."

"By making a fashion statement?" Maude asked as she glanced between Ada and the dress she had been given

Ada shook her head as a huff slipped from her lips. "By showing them how they will be mourned." She explained as she crossed her arms over her chest.

"What of Karl?" Maude asked as she glanced at the baby who slept soundly in his bassinet, unaware and unbothered by all the chaos that surrounded him.

Ada was silent for a second as she stared back at Maude, inhaling sharply as she shook her head. "They won't shoot if he's with us." She reasoned with the older girl as she shrugged her shoulders.

Maude was silent, her eyes wide and her lips parted as she stared at Ada in shock. "I sometimes forget all Shelbys are fucking insane." She muttered softly as she slowly shook her head, looking at the Shelby sister like she was completely delusional.

"Get dressed." Ada insisted with a firm look in her eyes as she pointed down at the dress and veil she had given Maude

Reluctantly Maude complied, knowing if Kimber or his men didn't kill her, either Tommy or her brothers would. She tried reasoning with Ada as she got dressed in Polly's church dress, but the brunette didn't listen, she refused to.

When Maude was dressed, Ada put Karl in his stroller and forced Maude out the door. She had one hand on Karl's stroller and one hand on Maude's arm, dragging them both into her dangerous and crazy idea in an attempt to stop the war.

Maude followed after Ada as they pushed through Kimber's men. "Move!" Ada demanded harshly, pushing at them with Karl's stroller so that they would get out of her way.

"What are you doing?" Freddie called out to his wife, staring at her with furrowed eyebrows as she and Maude pushed past Kimber's men and made their way between the two groups.

"Maude?" Henry called out as he lowered his gun, staring at his sister with wide eyes. Maude avoided his gaze as she stood with Ada, avoiding everyone's gaze because she could only imagine the glare Tommy was giving her.

"I believe you boys call this no man's land." She said as she looked between the two groups of men.

"Ada! " Freddie called out to her again.

"Shut up and listen." She demanded.

"Have you lost your mind?" He asked her, eyebrows furrowing in concern as he looked between her and Maude.

" I said shut up!" Ada yelled as she held up a finger to silence him, and all the men shifted uncomfortable as they looked at her with furrowed eyebrows. "Now, most of you were in France. So you all know what happens next." She began as she looked between the two groups of men. "I've got brothers and a husband here, she's got brothers here," She said as she pointed towards Maude. "But you've all got somebody waiting for you." She insisted as she took off her hat and veil. "Now, we're wearing black in preparation." She said before her eyes landed on Freddie who glanced away from her. "I want you to look at us." She insisted, but he didn't look back at her. "I want you all to look at us!" She yelled and hesitantly Freddie looked at her. "Who'll be wearing black for you?" She asked them. "Think about them. Think about them right now, and fight if you want to, but that baby ain't moving anywhere. Neither is she. And neither am I." She demanded.

Everything was silent for a second before Kimber spoke up. "She's right, you know." He agreed with Ada as he nodded his head before pointing towards his men as well as the Peaky Blinders. "Why should all you men die?" He asked before pulling out his gun. "It should just be them whose caused it!" He demanded before a hot at Tommy.

Maude gasped as she backed away, placing her hands over her ears as Danny Whizzbang screamed and rushed at Kimber, two more shots were fired and then Danny was laying lifeless on the ground. Her eyes were wide as she stared at Danny before glancing at Tommy, her heart sinking to the pit of her stomach when she saw him hunched over with a hand pressed to his chest.

The seconds ticked by slowly as Tommy pulled out his gun and pointed it towards Kimber who laughed at Danny's lifeless body. When Kimber's gaze landed on Tommy, his smile was wiped away. Tommy pulled the trigger, shooting Kimber right between his eyes. Kimber stumbled backward before falling to the ground, as lifeless as the man he mocked a mere second ago.

"Enough!" Tommy yelled as he clutched onto his chest. "Kimber and me fought this battle one-on-one. It's over." He insisted as he looked at Kimber's men who slowly lowered their weapons. "Go home to your families." He demanded before turning towards his men, pointing at Danny. "Scudboat, Curly, pick him up," He ordered.

Maude rushed to Tommy's side, grabbing onto his hunched-over body and peeling back his coat, gasping when she saw the dark red stain on his shirt, blood seeping from his chest. "Tommy, you're bleeding." She whispered in a shaky voice as her heart clenched and her eyes grew teary. She glanced at her brothers who stood nearby. "Get him to the Garrison." She instructed.

Daniel and Henry stood on either side of Tommy, slinging his arms around their shoulders and supporting all his weight as they helped him to the Garrison, Maude following them as she stared at Tommy's bloody shirt with frightened eyes. Tommy's brothers and Jerimiah followed as well.

Tommy looked at her with deeply furrowed eyebrows as they rushed him into the Garrison, sitting him down on one of the chairs. "What were you thinking, Maude?" He asked, eyes following her as she rushed around the pub, grabbing a bottle of whiskey and the first aid kid behind the bar.

"Your sister is very persuasive." She informed him with a soft huff as she poured a glass of whiskey and gave it to Tommy, forcing him to gulp everything down before she ripped open his button-up shirt, pulling off his undershirt as he grunted in pain. Her eyes widened at the wound too close to his heart. "Hold him down." She instructed the men as she pulled a tweezer from the first aid kit.

She dug into his chest with the tweezers as he screamed in pain, his brothers holding him down and coaxing him through the pain. The bullet was dug out and tossed into an empty glass on one of the tables. Another string of screams left Tommy as Maude grabbed the whiskey bottle and poured some of the liquid over his wound before stitching him up.

After she had wrapped Tommy's chest securely with gauze, everyone made their way into the snug where Danny Whizzbang's body lay on the table. Polly and Finn had joined them and even Ada and Maude stayed to pay their respects to the man.

"Now we can bury him properly, in the grave we dug for him," John spoke up softly, hands clasped together in front of him and head lowered as he stared at his fallen comrade.

"Yeah." Tommy agreed softly as he nodded his head. " It's high on a hill. He'll like that." He insisted and a few men who knew Danny well hummed in agreement. He lifted a bottle of whiskey in his hand. "To Danny Whizz-Bang. May we all die twice." He said before taking a drink from the bottle and passing it on. Out of respect for the man, everyone had a drink in his honor and the bottle made its rounds between them. After everyone was done it went quiet until Tommy spoke again. "Come on. The day is ours. Let's celebrate." He insisted before leaving the snug and everyone else followed.

Maude and Tommy sat alone in one of the booths at the Garrison, watching their families celebrate the war they had won, the death of Kimber, and the beginning of a new start for them, family together again. Most were already drunk, drinking the Garrison's stock at an alarming pace. They chatted and laughed, claiming their win.

Tommy stared at the woman who sat next to him, a displeased frown tugged at his lips. "What you did today was dangerous." He informed her, his voice rough and frustration with her, was clear.

"I must have learned that from you." She replied as she looked at him with a quirked eyebrow. Tommy stared at her with a scowl, visibly very upset with her actions of the day. She huffed at him as she shook her head. "Don't look at me that way when you are the one with a bullet wound." She muttered as her eyebrows furrowed and Tommy sighed softly. Her gaze drifted down to the bandage wrapped over his chest, only his jacket shielding his naked torso from everyone's eyes. "How bad does it hurt?" She asked softly.

"I will survive." He assured softly as he pulled out his cigarettes and matches, and she took the matches from him, helping him light his cigarette. Tommy stared at the table as he took a drag of his cigarette. "Now you have seen it all, Maude." He whispered before slowly turning his gaze toward her. "Do you still want to stay?" He asked hesitantly, afraid of her answer.

"Without a single doubt in my heart, yes." She replied without hesitation as she nodded her head, turning her body towards Tommy and reaching out to cup his cheeks with her hands. "Tommy, I told you I'm in love with you, but I lied." She whispered as she shook her head, and Tommy's heart dropped as fast as his face fell. "It's not as simple as just being in love." She continued and his eyebrows furrowed. "I love you." She admitted softly as she stared deeply into his eyes.

"And I love you." He replied softly as his hand reached up, cupping the side of her face. Maude's heart skipped a beat at his word, a relieved smile tugging at her lips as she stared at him with so much love and adoration in her eyes. "Let's go home, ey?" He insisted.

"Your home or my home?" Maude asked him as they slit out of the booth, slipping out of the pub before either one of their family members could notice them leaving.

"Maybe one day, we'll get to call somewhere, our home," Tommy said as he threw his half-smoked cigarette on the ground before letting Maude hook her arm in with his, walking side by side down Garrison Lane.

"That sounds nice." She replied as she smiled up at him, her heart fluttering in her chest for a second as she leaned in closer to his side. They walked in silence for a second before she spoke up again. "Did you hear about Grace?" She asked as she raised her eyebrow at him.

Tommy nodded his head, having been told everything by his aunt just as Maude was. "She was Inspector Campbell's spy." He muttered bitterly as a huff slipped from his lips.

"I wonder why she told Kimber about today," Maude muttered softly as Tommy lead her in the direction of her house, deeming it to be the better option as it would be emptier for longer by the way her brothers were drinking back at the Garrison.

"It's over now," Tommy replied as he shook his head, giving her an assuring look as they made their way into her house, holding their own celebration with her brothers' liquor cabinet and the privacy of her bedroom.

As they lay silently in her bed that night, the house quiet and their naked bodies warm against each other, Maude found herself thanking whoever in the universe had carved her lives path so that she would end up at that moment, wrapped in the arms of the first man she ever found herself loving. And the only man, she'd ever love. Until she took her last breath.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

141K 4.3K 65
On a train arrives a young woman. She's naive, she's kind, she's everything the city begs her not to be. When she meets Thomas Shelby, he is unlike a...
5.4K 105 10
Ainsley and Thomas Shelby, are madly, no, insatiably in love with each other. Ever since they were children. They went from fighting away bullies to...
492K 16.2K 22
"I have heard many rumours about you, Mr Shelby." "Anything of interest?" "I could write a whole book about you, Mr Shelby." The smog ridden city had...