Just Like the Movies

By JordanLynde

Maisie Knowles has hidden her identity and lies to everyone she knows to follow her dreams of becoming a succ... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen (Missing)
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twelve

931 91 49
By JordanLynde

"Right now?" I repeated, whipping my head up at Theo, who simply shut the door in my face. I waited until he got into the back before twisting in my seat to face him, clutching the headrest. "I'm not prepared."

"Aren't you?" he responded, putting on his seat belt. "You have your disguise on."

"No, I mean, what do I even say to them?"

Rowan turned the car on, pulling out onto the street. "Maybe 'hello, nice to meet you'?"

I threw a sarcastic look her way. "I know that much."

Her lip twitched. "Just checking."

"Just act like yourself," Theo said, looking too calm for my liking. "My parents are easy to get along with. We're meeting them at a café near the venue so it'll be low pressure."

"What about our back story?" I asked. "How should we say we met? How long have we known each other? Is it our first date? Don't we need to cover these things?"

Theo furrowed his eyebrows. "Why are you overthinking this? We don't need to create a story. You're my date. We can just be honest."

Be honest. I hadn't even considered it. It wasn't something I was good at, nor was it my first instinct. "Is that okay?"

"Why wouldn't it be?"

"I...just hope your parents find me acceptable," I said, lowering my gaze, suddenly apprehensive.

"I know they will," he replied without even a second of hesitance.

I looked back up at him, meeting his unwavering gaze. He appeared relaxed and unconcerned. How could he say that so confidently? He barely knew me. Were his parents really that chill? I couldn't imagine my mom meeting Theo and not drilling him with a thousand questions. I let the topic drop, though, not wanting to sound too self-conscious.

Instead, I sat ramrod straight in my seat, internally panicking. No matter how much I told myself it would be fine, or how many times Theo said it, my anxiety simply would not listen. As we approached Hollywood Boulevard though, my anxiety only increased—from both Rowan's now janky driving, and knowing I was only moments away from having to execute our plan.

I reminded myself I was in disguise—I could do this. I didn't need to be nervous. Yet, my stomach rolled as shop after shop swept by outside the window. Rowan pulled into the parking garage and shut off the car, tossing a pair of sunglasses back to Theo. I numbly got out, hearing my heart pounding in my ears, feeling like I wasn't really seeing what was in front of me.

"If you're worried about Theo being recognized, I'm sure all the attention is on the venue. The preshow has already started," Rowan told me, frowning. "I doubt anyone would bother us here."

"It's not really that..."

"Listen, if Theo's parents like me, they're going to like you. Like Theo said earlier, just be yourself. You don't need to fake anything."

Theo joined us, sunglasses covering his eyes. "Let's go."

I trudged behind Theo and Rowan as we made our way out of the parking garage, but some of my nerves had dissipated, taking over by marvel at Rowan giving me a pep talk. Albeit short, I felt like that was a rare occurrence. Maybe the reason I felt so nervous about this was because I didn't ever get to be myself. I always lied, I always hid.

Earlier, I'd felt better being in disguise so I could be who I really was for once. That was who I'd show to Theo's parents.

We made it to the café without incident and settled into a private corner, Rowan going to the counter to order us some drinks. Theo took off his sunglasses, and I immediately could tell from his expression that he was concerned about something, worry lines etched into his forehead. "What's wrong?" I asked.

"My parents aren't really ones to be late," he answered, taking out his phone. "In fact, they're usually the type to arrive half an hour beforehand."

"Maybe you should call them?" I suggested but figured that was what he was already doing.

He didn't answer, putting his phone to his ear. "Dad?" he said after a moment. "Where are you guys? I'm at the café now." A second passed by as Theo waited for a response, his posture tensing. "Is she okay?"

My stomach lurched into my throat. She? His mom? Had something happened? I glanced at Rowan, who still stood in line waiting to order, oblivious to the conversation.

"No, take your time. It's fine. We can meet up during the show or after. Mom's health is more important. Let her rest for a bit first," Theo continued, and I let out a small breath of relief. "Text Rowan when you get there. I'll probably be with my publicist, but she'll meet up with you. Yeah. See you soon."

I waited for Theo to speak first as he put his phone down on the table, frowning. "She's just feeling a little nauseous," he said. "They won't be coming to the café. Sorry to prolong your anxiety."

I sat up straighter, shaking my head. "Oh, no. Don't worry about it. I hope your mom feels better. I actually managed to gather my nerves, anyway. I'm ready for it whenever now."

Theo's eyebrows rose just the slightest bit. "You gathered your nerves in just these past few minutes?"

"Might not last, but I'm hoping it will."

"You'll have a lot to be distracted by at the show. You might meet my parents without me, but Rowan will be here. I'll try not to let that happen though. I just don't know when they'll show up."

Although I'd steeled myself, I hadn't steeled myself to meet them alone. Rowan being there wasn't exactly that calming. The redhead herself returned to the table at that moment, drinks in her hands, placing mine on the top of my head. I didn't think she'd actually let go of it, but she did, and my hands shot to the top of my head to grab it before it spilled all over me.

Theo gave her a look as she sat down, a cheeky smile on her face. "What?" she asked. "I wasn't going to let it fall. Just wanted to see her sweat."

"I was already sweating before," I snapped, taking a sip of my drink, and immediately losing my annoyance as the flavor hit my tongue. I'd never had such a good watermelon lemonade.

"My parents are running late," Theo told Rowan. "They'll text you when they show up."

"Sure," Rowan responded. "Then should we head over now that we have time? I'm sure the pre-show would love an interview."

Theo sat back in his seat. "No. I'll go last minute so I don't have to stay around long. That way I fulfill my contractual obligations while keeping the interviews to a minimum."

"Whatever. I guess that's better than just paying the fee like you usually do. Micah must be so proud of you."

Theo gave Rowan a sarcastic look and didn't answer, taking a long drink of his coffee. It was light in color, which surprised me. Theo seemed like the type to drink black coffee. Although I had no real reason for thinking that. I just felt like it fit him more.

We dallied in the café for a while more, Rowan and Theo talking about the event more, and their plan of meeting up after the red carpet. I hadn't realized we'd be separated right away— although I was now remembering Theo's publicist had told me the main red carpet was only for A-listers while a second, smaller red carpet was for everyone else.

When it was finally time to go, I swear everything happened in the blink of an eye. I hadn't even had time for the nerves to arrive. We arrived at the venue, Rowan drove up to the line of cars dropping off their occupants, and then Theo and I were stepping out into the crowd of people dressed in the most beautiful gowns and the most luxurious suits. The sound of cameras snapping and paparazzi calling different celebrities names overtook my senses, and I didn't notice Theo holding his hand out to me for a full minute.

"Maisie," he urged, closer to me now, hand still out-stretched.

I took it without thought, completely overwhelmed, but also excited. The thrill in the air welled up in me with every step I took, but I held Theo's hand tightly, afraid of being swept away. People were calling his name, everyone's heads turned when he walked by, interviewers tried to wave him down, but Theo just pressed forward, ignoring them.

I glanced up at him, expecting to see his usual impassive expression, but to my surprise, he was smiling, and waving with his free hand. I couldn't stop looking at him— I hadn't seen him smile like that before. He was almost unbearably handsome. From my angle, I could see the perfect outline of his jaw, his straight teeth, and the little bead of sweat at his hairline.

Suddenly something slammed heavily into my side, sending me jolting forward. Theo's grip on my hand immediately tightened, using his strength to keep me upright, but pulling me a little too hard. I fell back into his chest, and he wrapped his arm around my waist, keeping me steady.

"Sorry," a burly man in a black suit said, holding his arm out as an actress who I recognized, but whose name escaped me, passed us.

The sound of cameras going off had me moving away from them and a blush spreading across my cheeks. "It's okay," I said, although my pulse took off. Had that been caught on camera? Would someone report on it? Would my face be everywhere? Would this embarrass Theo?

The actress glanced over at us, then she did a double-take as her eyes landed on Theo. "Theo Park! Wow! I'm a big fan!"

"You should ask your security to watch where they're going," Theo responded, a polite smile on his face. "It's a crowded area."

"Oh, sorry about that. I'm running late. Wanted to get the publicity in. You know how it is," she said before waving one more time and then disappearing into the crowd ahead, her security guard following closely behind.

Theo turned to me, lips flattening. "You okay?"

"Yeah, it's fine," I said quickly, giving him a quick smile. "Let's go."

We'd only taken one step when Theo's name was called again and we turned to see a slim man around our age hurrying up to us, badges with lanyards in his hand. His hair was styled with a short fade and high-top locs, he had rich brown skin, and was dressed in all black. "Sorry I'm late," he said, trying to catch his breath. "I should have known parking would be annoying."

"You're right on time," Theo told him before turning his attention to me. "Maisie, this is Micah, my publicist."

"Nice meeting you in person," Micah said, holding his hand out to me.

I released Theo's hand to shake Micah's. "Nice to meet you, too. Thanks again for the tips."

"I'm here for you too, today, so just wave me down if you need anything," he responded, a warm smile on his face "We really need to get through security and get some interviews in, though. Come on."

Security was a surprisingly painless process, mainly thanks to Micah's knowledge, and then things started to move fast again. Rowan managed to catch up with us just as Theo and Micah broke off to go to the main red carpet. We threw our badges on and Rowan instructed me to stay by her side and we headed toward the side carpet, which was still as crowded as the main one, just with a lot fewer photographers and interviewers.

"How come you don't stay by Theo's side?" I asked Rowan, barely able to make Theo out in the throngs of bodies across the way. I appreciated that this side was calmer. I could take everything in more easily now.

"He doesn't really need me there. The venue has security everywhere and the photographers don't want anyone in the shot but celebrities if they can help it," she explained. "Micah goes to help set up the interviews and photographs. I get to relax a bit here. Want me to take any photos of you?"

"Can we do that?"

"Yup. Take a look around you. We're on the casual side."

"Then... if you don't mind," I said, smiling a little. "Just to make some memories for myself."

Rowan took my phone and I posed here and there, feeling awkward, but trying not to let it bother me. Everyone was taking selfies and photos around me. I wasn't standing out. A few people glanced in my direction, as if trying to place me from somewhere, even though I knew no one would. This image of myself didn't actually exist.

It was strange. Usually, people staring at me would make me panic, but not now. The disguise felt so secure. I finished taking my photos and then forced Rowan to let me take some of her, although I knew she'd probably done things like this a hundred times already. She posed effortlessly and stunningly, gathering more attention than anyone around. I would have mistaken her for a celebrity too, had I not known better.

We made our way further down as Theo finished up one interview and went to the next station. "Oh my god!" I gasped, my hand going to my mouth. "Is that Halle Bailey? Is Theo talking to her?"

"He is," Rowan responded, sounding amused. "Is she the only person you recognize?"

"I'm not good with celebrities, but I'm excited about The Little Mermaid," I explained, still staring in awe. "I wish I could take a picture with her..."

"Theo could introduce you later."

I waved my hands, eyes wide. "Oh, no. That's okay. I'm happy looking from a distance."

"I think Timothee Chalamet is over there, too."

"Who's that?" I asked. "From Spiderman?"

Rowan laughed. "Uh, no. Close, though. You might want to do some studying if you ever need to go to another award show. Fortunately, this one is one of the smaller ones."

This was one of the smaller ones? It still seemed extravagant to me, but I supposed it was no Grammy's.

My gaze followed Theo as best it could as he moved to the next section, his interviews only lasting minutes at best. Eventually, though, Rowan pulled me away, and we headed inside the venue finally.

"Nothing from Theo's parents?" I asked as we made our way to our seats.

"Not yet," Rowan answered, following the instructions from the staff as we made our way to the mezzanine level.

From our vantage point, I could see all the camera crews and production teams scurrying around the grand stage, getting last-minute prep in. A crowd of people stood around, too, and I wondered if they were the people who filled seats while celebrities were away. I'd thought that might be fun to do, but I was worried I'd miss out on Theo's acceptance speech had I not been needed in a seat at that moment.

Rowan and I made it to our seats with ease, sitting with the others who were already settled in. I was starting to get giddy again, taking in the commanding presence of the polished stage and the majestic red curtains framing it, large red arches with gold detailing. On either side were box seats, starting from the lower level, then rising, all with yellow lights glowing beautifully even in the lit theater.

People kept pouring in, celebrities, viewers, crew, and the like. I kept my eyes peeled for Theo. Rowan said he'd be sitting in the front row— which made sense since he was one of the top nominees. I had to resist swinging my legs like a child, feeling the hype thrumming in the air.

Rowan suddenly sat alert in her seat, nudging me. I followed her gaze down to Theo who'd finally entered the theater. He was walking with an actress who I again could recognize but didn't know the name of. She laughed and touched his shoulder. Rowan swore under her breath at that, startling me. Theo had seemed to tense up too, briefly coming to a halt, but only for a split-second. A handsome smile was still on his face, and he walked the actress to her seat before he took his own.

I wondered if Rowan felt jealous. I peeked at her, but she was just frowning, not overtly showing any emotion. I couldn't blame her if she did feel jealous, though. I had to admit I did, too. So many beautiful people surrounded Theo.

No, I scolded myself. I couldn't care who was around Theo. I needed to gather myself.

When the lights went down, I knew the show was beginning. I tried to remember all the instructions from Micah. I'd never know when a camera could focus on me, so I needed to be prepared for it at any time. They'd be mostly focused on celebrities, but I still liked the idea of being prepared to be filmed at any moment. It was like a game.

The chair of the board of the academy came out to speak first, giving a speech about coming together, and the different achievements of the actors who were nominated, and the casts and members who worked hard to produce the films. I was engrossed, listening to every word with bated breath. And then the first nominees came.

I clapped when I was supposed to, laughed at all the jokes, and tried to recognize any celebrity I could, but mainly just recognized the movies and T.V. shows they acted in. My hands were getting numb the longer the show continued, and I regretted drinking the lemonade earlier because I was getting the overwhelming urge to pee.

When the first commercial break came, Rowan sprung from her seat, her phone in her hand. "I'll be right back."

"Sure," I said, letting her pass by, wondering where she was going, but deciding not to ask.

I couldn't see Theo anymore. People had gotten up and began to stretch and move around and converse with each other. I sat for as long as I could before making the decision to go to the bathroom, hurrying out of my seat, and trying to hunt the bathroom down. People were scurrying about, and I had to ask a staff member where the restrooms were and struggled to make it through the sea of people over to them.

The line was huge and moved slowly. The closer I got, the more I had to pee. People were rushing out by the time I made it in, heading right for a stall. I let myself appreciate how luxurious and clean the bathroom was as I exited and washed my hands, studying the embellishments on the mirror. There were other women fixing their make-up leisurely, making sure their lipstick hadn't smudged. I felt my phone vibrate in my pockets as I dried my hands, checking my own reflection in the mirror. My make-up hadn't budged. A testament to Kaila's skill, I was sure.

When I finished, I pulled out my phone to see a text from Rowan.

Where are you?! You won't be allowed back to your seat, Maisie!

My heart dropped. I rushed out of the bathroom, seeing a pair of the venue's security guards standing at the now-closed doors that led back into the theater. I walked up to them, my hand gripping my phone tighter. "Is the commercial break over?" I asked.

One of the security guards standing in front of the door frowned at me. "Yes. You'll have to wait for the next commercial break to enter again."

I deflated. "Okay."

"It'll be in about thirty minutes."

I could hear the music beyond the doors fading, and then the voice of whoever the next presenter was gearing up to announce the next award and the nominations for it. I waited to make sure it wasn't Theo's award before slinking back over to the bathrooms, finding standing near the security awkward. It was a bit of a comfort to see there were quite a few other people who were stuck out as well, and I decided to follow a pair of women to a crowded waiting area.

I moved off to the side of the room, pulling out my phone to text Rowan back, and let her know of my situation.

"Didn't make it back in, either?" a voice spoke from beside me, startling me.

I nearly dropped my phone, snatching it at the last second, looking over to see an older woman with white skin and shoulder-length brown hair smiling at me. She wore a beautiful, floor-length black dress with a darted bodice and plunging V-neck. "Yeah, I somehow forgot that was a thing."

"First time at an awards show?" she asked.

Was it that obvious? Just because of that? I grimaced. "Yeah."

"If it makes you feel better, this isn't my first, and I also made the same mistake. It's been a while since I've come to one. My son is a bit...reclusive."

"Is he an actor?" I asked.

Her face lit up, as if excited at the chance to talk about him. "Yes. One of the best. And I'm just not saying that just because he's my son. He's very talented. And very handsome. You'd be surprised if you met him. He got his looks from his dad, though."

I smiled. She sounded very proud of her son. "I wouldn't discredit yourself. You're very beautiful."

"That's sweet of you to say," she responded with a laugh. "But this is a wig."

"I wasn't talking about your hair, though."

Her lips curved up, eyes crinkling at the edges. "Thank you."

I almost my mouth to tell her I was wearing a wig, too, but caught myself last second. I couldn't slip up, and her reasons for wearing one could be different than mine. "So, your son," I began, trying to change the topic. "I'm wondering if I've seen him in something."

"He's Theodore Park," she told me, her voice swelling with pride. "He's up for Best Actor tonight."

My heart skipped a beat, and it took everything in me to not outwardly react. This was Theo's mom? I almost couldn't believe it. I knew he was half-Korean and his mother was white, but he'd said his mother was sick, and the woman in front of me didn't appear sick in any way. Her cheeks were flush with color, she maybe was on the thinner side, but not too much so.

And what were the odds I ran into her out of all the people here? Especially when I was all alone?

I didn't know what to say. Did I reveal my identity to her? Did I wait until later when Theo was around? Would that be weird? She'd obviously recognize me later. Would she think it was weird I didn't say anything?

"I'd promise to introduce you to him, but he wouldn't be very happy with that. Oops," she said, her hand going to her mouth. "Maybe I shouldn't say that. He's always kind to his fans. But he doesn't do well in social settings."

Now was my chance to introduce myself to her properly. "Even though he's an actor?" I asked instead.

"There is a reason behind it, but that's private to him," she said, her gaze falling to the ground. "But that's why I worry about him. This career is so hard already. He has to meet so many people, go to so many appearances, and really put himself out there, and he does it all alone. I'm worried it'll be too much for him to handle, but he doesn't listen to me when I tell him this. Ever since his last girlfriend—" She cut herself off, looking up at me again with wide eyes. "Oh, I'm sorry. I really shouldn't be saying this to you."

"It's okay," I said, waving her off.

She winced, putting a hand on her forehead. "I'm telling my son's personal information to a stranger."

"Um, I'm Maisie," I said, feeling my pulse start to pick up again. I'd just introduce myself right now and get it over with. "I'm—"

"Maisie?" Theo's mom repeated, eyebrows rising. "That's Theo's girlfriend's name."

My mouth snapped shut. Girlfriend? Girlfriend?

I could tell Theo's mom connected the dots as I had earlier by the way her mouth fell open. "Don't tell me—is that you?"

I froze up. Why wasn't Theo here? He'd said he told her I was just his date! What was this girlfriend business? Did he trick me? I could feel myself starting to panic. Theo's mom stared at me, waiting for my answer, and I swallowed.

I'd just have to figure this out later.

"It's me," I told her, hoping my face didn't show how anxious I felt. "It's nice to meet you, um, officially."

Her expression morphed into pure joy, and she reached for my hands, clasping them in hers. "Wow! This is such a coincidence! It's nice to meet you, too! Theo has told me so much about you!"

"He has?"

"Yes! And you're just as pretty as he said you were!"

I could feel my cheeks flush. He'd said that about me?

His mom continued beaming at me. "Oh, but let me properly introduce myself. I'm Evelynn. My husband is inside, but you two can meet once the show is over. Sorry, I missed our meeting earlier. I'm sure Theo told you, but I wasn't feeling well."

"Oh, no, it's okay," I told her. "Are you feeling better now?"

"Yeah," she responded, flexing her arm to make her point in an adorable way. "I just had to take some medicine. But enough about me. Theo said you two met on set. You're an assistant script supervisor, right?"

I nodded. "Yeah, I kind of make sure everything makes sense as we're filming and that there are no inconsistencies in dialogue and things like that. But I'm only the assistant."

"Did you write any of the script?" she asked. "Theo really enjoyed it. It's been a while since I've seen him so excited about a script."

Had he really been that excited? It gave me a stupid, warm, fuzzy feeling. I knew he'd enjoyed it because he'd said so before, but being excited to be on the project? "I didn't really work on the script," I lied, trying to shove the warm feeling away. "Although if there were to be changes as we're filming, I'd overlook it."

"It sounds like a cool job, still. I've always thought it'd be fun to write a script," Evelynn said, folding her arms over her chest. "I've spent most of my life cooped up in labs, but I was really interested in writing when I was younger."

"Really?" I responded, my interest peaking. "Do you not write now?"

"Not really, no. My career kept me busy, but I've had free time recently, and I've looked at old things I've written. I don't know if I could get back into it. I barely remember anything."

"I'm sure you could," I encouraged her. "Even if you just get back into it little by little. Just look over your old stuff and see if you get inspired."

She considered this, tilting her head to the side. "I really should... You know, you sound interested in writing."

"Uh..." I trailed off, a lie failing to form on my tongue.

Theo's voice echoed in my head. Just be yourself.

"Yeah, I like to write," I said, my hands unconsciously forming fists, and my head lowering.

"I love that!" Evelynn said excitedly. "What do you like to write? Scripts, I'm assuming?"

Her positive response to my admission took me aback. She didn't care? She was excited? Even though it was her son's girlfriend saying that? "I like to write books," I told her hesitantly.

"That's awesome! What genre?"

"Um, romance," I answered, feeling embarrassed for some reason.

She clasped her hands together. "Oh, I'm a sucker for romance books. Only with happy endings though."

"I only write happy endings," I told her. "A book actually isn't romance if there isn't a happy or happy-for-now ending. It's a condition to the genre."

"Tell that to the dramas Theo's dad got me addicted to." She sighed. "But it sounds like your books wouldn't do that to me. Do you have any published? I'd love to buy one!"

That warm feeling was back, but in a different way now. She didn't even know I had a book published and a movie being filmed, but she was so enthusiastic about my writing. There was no judgment. No concerned looks. No, and what about a real job?

I wished I could tell her I did have a book published. I wish I could tell her Theo's current project was mine.

But I was more than content with what I had. "I'm not published, but I'd like to be," I ended up saying, smiling a bit.

"I'm sure you'll get there," she replied. "This is so great. I'm glad Theo found someone as creative as him. And I'm glad you do something good with your writing."

Something good? What was that supposed to mean? I waited for her to continue, but she didn't, seemingly lost in thought, staring off into the distance. "Everything okay?" I asked.

She blinked, facing me again. "Sorry. I distracted myself. Theo's last girlfriend was a writer, too."

The mention of Theo's ex-girlfriend had a rock settling in my stomach. She was a writer, too? Why did I hate that so much? Writing didn't make me special.

Nor do I want to be special, I reminded myself firmly.

"I was really worried after he broke up with her. I thought he'd never open himself up to someone again. She really betrayed him," Evelynn continued, her forehead wrinkling. "He became a different person. He never lets his guard down and is very withdrawn. It changed him so much. I hope he's not like that with you."

I felt like she was telling me things Theo wouldn't want me to know. I didn't want to ask more, to invade Theo's privacy, but curiosity bit at me. I hadn't realized he'd broken up with her. I'd assumed she'd broken up with him. "Theo isn't like that with me," I assured Evelynn. "He's really nice, and goes out of his way to help me."

"Yes, that sounds like how Theo used to be. I'm glad to hear he's healing. It must be because of you," she said, smiling at me again, and I swear I saw wetness in her eyes.

The first smidge of guilt started building inside of me, but I reminded myself what I'd said wasn't even a lie. Theo was surprisingly kindhearted. "I've never been in another relationship, but I know it can take time for someone to heal from a past one. Theo will get there when he gets there. Don't worry too much about it. Rowan and I are there for him. He'll go at his own pace."

"We just met, yet I feel like I can trust you when you say that, Maisie." Evelynn's lips curved up again. "Especially if Rowan likes you. She's a good judge of character. She never liked Mackenzie."

I pretended to get distracted by tucking a strand of my wig behind my ear, giving myself a moment to think of how to change the topic. Theo had been right in preparing me for the fact his mother would talk about his ex, but I still didn't want to hear anything from her. It was Theo's business. "You know, I'm not so sure Rowan likes me yet."

Evelynn laughed. "You'd know if Rowan didn't like you, trust me."

Was that so? I pressed my lips together, debating. Sometimes I did think Rowan got along fine with me, but other times not so much, but maybe she just enjoyed teasing me. "I'll take your word for it."

"How has filming been going? Theo doesn't talk much about it, but I'm interested to learn about it from your side."

I spent the remaining time before the next commercial break talking about my job on set and how interesting it was to watch the film being made. It was nice to fall into that conversation and it flowed easily between us. Evelynn seemed like someone easy to get along with, which made me even more curious about how she ended up not liking Theo's ex-girlfriend at the end.

When the doors finally opened again, I helped her to the door that led to her seat, and a tall, handsome older man came up the stairs to us. I instantly knew it was Theo's father. They shared the same black hair and deep brown eyes, but his father's skin was a little tanner than Theo's, and he was slimmer.

Already comfortable with Evelynn, I managed to keep my anxiety at bay as Evelynn introduced us. "Honey, this is Maisie, Theo's girlfriend. We ran into each other out there. Isn't that funny?"

"It's nice to meet you, Maisie," he said, holding out his hand. "I'm Theo's father, Young Jin."

"It's nice to meet you, too," I replied, carefully placing my right hand in his, placing my left on my stomach, and bowing my head a little.

This caused him to smile slightly. "We can talk more later, but I'd suggest hurrying to your seat before you are locked out again."

"Right," I responded, cheeks burning. "I don't want to miss Theo's speech, either. I'll see you two later?"

"Yes, see you later Maisie!" Evelynn said brightly.

I hurried back to my seat after that, feeling proud of myself for handling that situation by myself. I didn't think I made any mess-ups— if I excluded the fact I didn't deny the girlfriend thing. I'd done what was best in that situation. I could only hope Theo agreed.

Rowan totally judged me as I made my way back to my seat, her lips pursed, and eyebrows raised. "Really, Maisie?"

"Listen," I started, shooting her a look. "It was an accident. But guess who I met out there?"

I quickly filled her in about our conversation, trying to gauge how she reacted to the news about them thinking I was Theo's girlfriend. If she had feelings for him, I couldn't imagine it was a nice thing to hear. But she didn't seem that bothered, simply shrugging. "We'll figure it out with Theo later. Stay up for the rest of the night, though."

As always with Rowan, the last part was unnecessary, but I begrudgingly and silently agreed with her. I didn't want to get caught out somewhere again or get lost.

"Thank you all," Theo began, holding his award to his chest. "It's an honor to receive the Best Actor award, and while my publicist and most magazine outlets would beg to differ, I am actually grateful to be standing on this stage right now to accept it. I don't avoid all events."

The audience broke out into scattered laughter, and from out of the corner of my eye I saw Rowan smirking. Probably because we both knew he actually didn't want to come to this.

What an actor.

"But back to being serious, I'd like to thank my parents, who are both here tonight," Theo continued, looking out into the crowd. "Mom, Dad, thank you for letting me follow my dreams. What I started back home in South Korea has only continued and evolved because of your continuous encouragement, and the sacrifices you've made to support my dreams."

Two figures closer to the front on the lower level stood up and waved, causing the audience to break out into applause.

Theo waved back, a warm, handsome smile on his face. "I love you."

A lump formed in my throat. But I wasn't sure if it was because it was sweet to see him so open about his affection for his parents or if because when I imagined myself in this scenario, I didn't even imagine my parents being there.

"I'd also like to acknowledge my fellow cast members and all the crew who made the filming possible. The director for giving a not-so-well-known actor a chance, and also the viewers who made Love on Cue become one of the biggest box office hits. Thank you."

More applause filled the theater, and I clapped along. I'd thoroughly enjoyed Love on Cue and knew just how much it'd launched Theo into popularity.

"But before I end this speech, I'd like to also acknowledge all the contributions Asian Americans make to the world of film. Let's continue to pursue and celebrate diversity and representation. And as we do so, I'd also like to see the day when we follow suit of other academies and eliminate gendered categories for awards. Let's embrace fair representation and as Sam Smith said, celebrate everyone regardless of gender, race, age, ability, sexuality, and class. Thank you."

Rowan stood to applaud and I followed suit, clapping as hard as I could, my eyes never leaving Theo's form as he exited the stage. Right before he stepped off, he glanced up toward Rowan and I, holding up a hand. I waved back at him with both of mine.

The director of the academy came back on stage to give a closing speech and before I knew it, it was over. Rowan ushered me out of my seat, and we made our way through the swarms of people leaving the theater. I followed her lead, trying not to trip in my heels again as she moved at a rate too quick for my Bambi legs. Eventually, we made it back outside, and Rowan took us around the crowd of paparazzi and award-goers crowding the red carpet and street in front of the building.

We walked for about five more minutes before we finally made it back to Theo's car where, to my surprise, Theo was already waiting, leaning against the passenger door, half hidden in the dark, half lit up by the glow of a lamp post. I blinked at him. "How did you get here so fast?"

His hair lay flatter than earlier in the day and he ran a hand through it, pushing it up and out of his face as he turned to look at me, his eyes locking onto mine. "Secret."

"Must have some secret celebrity exit," I said, taking in his slightly haggard appearance. He'd unbuttoned the top three buttons of his shirt, letting his skin show through. "That was a great speech, by the way."

"Did you have fun?" he asked, gesturing for Rowan to unlock the car.

"Yeah, I did. I, um, met your parents."

Theo stared at me, eyebrows furrowing. "What?"

"I got locked out during a commercial break and ran into your mom. Funnily enough though, she thought I was your girlfriend," I told him, rocking on the balls of my feet, trying to keep my tone casual.

He put his hand to his forehead, sighing. "She said that? Why did she think that? I specifically said you were my date. She's probably assuming all worst-case scenarios now about why you denied it."

"I told her I was your girlfriend."

His hand dropped to his side. "What?"

Author's Note:

I have to admit, this book is a bit of a struggle to write right now. When I started it, I had no idea my mom would be diagnosed with cancer, and now writing a book with a sick mom...is kind of triggering to me lol. I'm trying to work past it. My mom is going okay, but it feels to on the nose right now...

In other, though, more fun news!! Look! Art of Theo and Maisie! Created by ALilYushka on Instagram!!

Continue Reading