checkmate. | 희승 √

By eerials

To be fair, the school council was as competitive as it gets. With a president and vice president fighting fo... More

00. foreword
01. i'll take it from here
02. darling, there are rumors
03. the shame council
04. weary excitement
05. apologies, apologies
06. suspicions start to swallow me
07. a very merry event
08. friends? again?
09. persimmon picking
10. anger management
11. student council controversy
12. take me far away
13. two-sided vice
14. what's wrong with us?
15. to you
16. doubtful + delusional = denial
17. the trademark brother
18. a secret unknown (obvious)
19. the good, and somehow, the bad
20. to be yours
21. the beginning of obstacles
22. ends as it begins
23. see it in her eyes
24. you can't please everyone
25. confronting the past
26. prom planning and after-effects
27. in fact, not fate?
28. head-on collision
29. prom-failures and prep
30. the seal of forgiveness
31. re-dinner
32. the final masquerade

epil. an eternal love

2.3K 125 85
By eerials

EPILOGUE | "You've loved me ever since we were young, right?"

"Yeah, since the kids are coming, we should probably set up the toys by the fantasy books," I say to the other volunteer, making him nod. "Oh, and we should set up comfortable seating, right? I mean, moms and their kids are going to want to bond."

"You make a pretty good point, Hayoon," The other volunteer, Dohyun, smiles at me. He places a hand on my shoulder to compliment me, nodding. "I guess you've grown up well under good care. Most of us wouldn't be that considerate."

"It's only because my love for kids grows beyond just meeting them," I laugh it off, not wanting to take such a kind compliment. "You guys work equally as hard."

"Oh come on, not as much as you do!" Dohyun comments, rubbing my shoulder. Of course, I was a bit skeptical and looked past him for a moment. There, I could see my boyfriend in his striped search, drinking the iced coffee I bought him. However, his grip on it was tight, and he was practically staring daggers into the back of Dohyun's head. "Anyway, Hayoon, are you busy to—"

"Sorry, let's talk later," I apologize, shrugging off Dohyun's hand and jogging behind him. Heeseung places his coffee on the library counter, arms open as I collide with him. Quickly, he spares a glance toward Dohyun, grabbing my face and smothering me with kisses. I laugh, trying to swat him away. "What are you doing here? Don't you have math class?"

"I always come to support my girlfriend in her volunteering endeavors. And, my class got canceled," He purses his lips, grabbing my hand as we leave the library together. "You didn't forget that we were going on a date today, right?"

"Of course not," I say proudly, my free hand placed on my hip in confidence. "I should ask you a question: You didn't forget today was our one-year anniversary, right?!"

Suddenly he stops in his tracks, making my heart stop. No way. Heeseung slowly turns my way, mouth agape, letting go of my hand. "Heeseung..." I warn him carefully, pointing at him. Finally, he cheeses, a big beam on his face, bringing me in by the shoulder Dohyun touched.

"I'm just joking, darling," It may have been a year since he first called me that, but I can't deny the butterflies that still resurface by the name. "You know that out of all people, I would remember. I'm surprised that you remember with all the knowledge you cram into your head every day."

"Hey! Our relationship is just as important as my studies. I weigh my priorities fairly well," I swing our hands as we walk down the corridor and into the open campus. "Also, how's Yuri doing? I haven't called her in a bit because I've been busy with the mom-kid event."

"She says she's doing fine and that she misses you more than me. Although I am bitter, I suppose that you guys have a better relationship. She also added that she quote-on-quote bagged that boy from prom," Good job, Yuri! Following in my footsteps, I see. Have men trip over you! "Jaeyun, right? Yeah. Good for her."

I raise an eyebrow. "Are you not mad that your sister has a potential boyfriend?"

"Of course I am. My sister being in another man's grasp is odd because she's never been the type to commit," He complains, glad she's not here to hear him. "But, I have another woman to look after, considering that she's such a bright light that attracts other men. Speaking of other men, if Dohyun touches you like that again, just know he's going to get a fist in his face. Doesn't he know you have a boyfriend!?"

"Now he does after you purposely kissed me in front of him," I tease, elbowing him. "Don't worry about him, though. You know I'm always going to run back to you."

"You guys are so~ gross," I hear, making me turn around. Sunghoon smiles, waving. "Can't you do private displays of affection instead of public? We, single people, can't handle it."

"You'll live," Heeseung hisses, but Sunghoon splits us up by driving through the middle and putting his arms around our shoulders. Heeseung grabs my hand behind Sunghoon, caressing my thumb in the process. "Anyway, how was the chemistry test? Was it super hard?"

"Ask the future biochemist," Heeseung beckons to me. "I found it hard."

"Hah, losers. It was easy," I smirk proudly, making the two men groan. "Don't be mad that you failed!"

"We'll see," Sunghoon checks his watch by bringing Heeseung closer. "Shoot, I have to head to choir club. See you guys!"

He lets go of the both of us, dashing toward the music department. Heeseung and I face each other, shaking our heads.

"Busybody..."

"Wow," Heeseung holds a bouquet of flowers, all of the arranged colors and different types. He hands it to me just as we hug, one arm around my waist as the other cups my cheek. "I'm speechless every time I see you dressed up. Wow. I can't believe how good you look."

I close my car door, locking it. "Sometimes I think that you're just saying it to egg me on," I reply, making him shake his head furiously in denial. He kisses my cheek in hopes to prove his point, but all I do is smile. "Whatever. Since it was your turn to plan our date, thankfully, on our one-year anniversary, I am following your lead."

"Great!" He exclaims, letting go of me and turning to his car. "Our anniversary date will be... here! In this parking lot!"

My expression falls. "Heeseung. We're in a damn parking lot. You can't be serious."

"Wait, wait, hear me out for a minute, okay?" He hisses, lifting the rear door. As it goes all the way up, it reveals a fairy-light-lit trunk, a picnic blanket, and some food. Proudly, he faces me again, hands on his hips. "And from this spot, we can watch the stars. I know you hate crowded places, so tonight, it's me and you."

"How sweet," I cave, moving the dessert over to sit on the blanket. He joins me under soft-orange light, already beginning to stare. "You know, every date you plan, you outdo yourself."

"But nothing beats the beach date," We synchronize, making us laugh. He replies, "I try to make it fun for you without having to go the extra mile. Dad actually gave me this idea because Mom said that her dream date when she was in college was a car picnic, and when he took her on it, she told him she loved him for the first time."

"That sounds a lot like your parents," I nod, leaning back against the other car seat. Heeseung places his arms through the loop, resting it on my shoulders. "College is a bit scary, isn't it? We're going to the same one, inseparable, but time is scary. What if something bad happens to us?"

"It's only the first year of college. The only thing we've experienced is going to an underage drinking party," Heeseung rolls his eyes. "But, we've gone through the biggest issue and made it out alive. The only thing we need to do is communicate."

"You're bad at that."

"I am not!" He defends, looking at me before moving to rest on the side of the trunk. "Or maybe I am. That's why I have you, who does it for both of us. That's why you have me, who's patient for the both of us."

I'm silent, simply staring at the stars. "The stars are beautiful tonight," I comment, changing the subject. I hope that we're looking at the same sky, but when I turn to him, he's still staring.

"Yeah, beautiful," I could feel my face heating up, so I quickly grab a piece of chicken and put it in my mouth. "Hayoon, be honest- do you think about us breaking up?"

"In my nightmares, yeah," I say, muffled. "But I guess when we have small arguments, I'm always overthinking. I know we're argument-prone, but we've been working on it, and I feel like it still sucks going through that."

Heeseung smiles. "But we're putting in the effort."

I nod, repeating, "But, we are putting in the effort."

It's silent as I continue staring at the stars. "I think my mom is watching over us tonight," I add. "One of the stars is blinking at me."

"You should go say hello," I nod, scooting out of the car trunk and standing in front of her. I place my hands together, praying a secret to her.

Hi, mom. I hope you're doing okay up there. My other mom has been treating me well, filling in your space better than anyone else could. I've been doing well, so I hope you are too. These days, I will continue holding up so that I can graduate, and that you can see me be happy. I know you've met Heeseung already, but sometimes, I wish you could meet him in person. You probably saw him when he was young, but see how grown up he is. Now, we're dating, and it's been a ride. Thank you- perhaps you were the one who tied us together.

I owe you everything. Thank you for always watching over me, and loving me even if you're a star in the sky. I'll make you proud, and my eternal love will be dedicated to you.

Stay safe and happy, ma. You deserve the world.

I feel something cold brush over my collar. I open my eyes, put down my hands, and look down my neck. It was a small, silver-chained necklace that had a chess pawn hanging on it. As I turn the small detail over, it had our initials engraved in it. "I also forgot to tell you that my father gave my mother a ring," I widen my eyes, turning around as he let it hang. "But, since we always talked about marriage as a joke, I decided you might be reluctant, and mistake a promise ring for a wedding ring. So, here's your gift."

I admire it for a moment, his hands resting on my hips. "Is this the queen piece?"

"Yeah," He nods. "Because you're my queen. Duh."

"Stupid," I punch him in the shoulder, making him fake hiss. "You're so stupid. I should've brought a gift. I thought we were going to have another normal date! Hey, say, you've loved me since we were young, right?"

He blushes, clearing his throat. "We were enemies. I don't think so."

"Hey... your dad told me everything!"

He kisses my cheek. "Don't bring it up, please... And, we are having a normal date, I just enjoy spoiling you," Heeseung teases, giving me a chaste kiss on my cheek. "You already gave me the best gift, by the way- spending 365 days with the love of my life. What gets better than that?"

"You're so embarrassing, Heeseung. I swear, one day, this attitude will get you punched for real!"

"Remember what I said a long~ time ago? You're always right~"

"Heeseung!" I exclaim, but he sends me a kiss on my lips. Again, he presses his lips on mine, for a little longer, dragging his hands around my back. "You're so..."

"So...?" He trails off, tilting his head. I won't continue, turning my head. He chuckles softly, bringing me closer to his embrace. "I love you. Happy one-year anniversary, Moon."

I smile against his chest. "Happy one-year anniversary, Lee," I reply. "And I think we should start a new game of chess."

He furrows his eyebrows, leaning back to search my face. "What?"

"The chess game of love."

"You should just say checkmate," Heeseung rolls his eyes. "I already lost."

"God, Heeseung, you're so boring! Stop being in love with me!"

"I'm already falling for you again."

"Stop!"

this is officially the end :)
leave any comments about the book here, 
and i'll read them all + reply as much as
I can :) thank you for sticking around!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 121 18
"you serve no purpose in the student council. you're a failure for a vice president." "yes, mr president." she's his student council vice president...
26.8K 1.1K 21
♡︎-𝙅𝙚𝙖𝙡𝙤𝙪𝙨𝙮; heeseung x sunghoon ❛❛So, it all happened just because of your jealous ass?❜❜ ↳ The combination of an introvert and a school hea...
282K 11.5K 53
"I don't want to win against the world. I just want to win against you because you are my world." Two people, one competition, both of them fighting...
42.3K 1.6K 17
Who says they don't teach romance in hell? "I am here for something that your precious heart wishes the most." He lowers his voice an octave. "Let me...