32. the final masquerade

32 | "Checkmate

32 | "Checkmate."

Yuri opens her eyes as I get out of my car, picking her up for prom

Yuri opens her eyes as I get out of my car, picking her up for prom. "Oh, em, gee, Hayoon!" She squeals, grabbing my hands in a hurry and jumping up and down in heels. I applaud her for the excitement and the bravery she has jumping in those 3-inch heels. "You look so good. Heeseung is going to love your outfit. I can't believe you didn't show him it–he would've been drooling over you."

"That's what I was afraid of," I chuckle. "Speaking of which, where is Heeseung?"

"He left to go pick up his friends," I nod, opening the passenger seat door so she could enter. Yuri and I wear polar opposite dresses–she was wearing a maroon red and I wore night black. Our masks were the same design but match the dress. Under her dress were heels, but under mine was a pair of sneakers. I guess that's the cute difference between us. "Bye Mom, bye Dad! I know you won't miss me because you'll be going on a date, but I'll miss you anyway!"

"Always spouting our business like that..." Mrs. Lee trails off, giving me a hug as I awaited her arms. "Be safe on the road and at the party, okay? I want all of you to come back in one piece."

"Yes, ma'am, I will make sure my group is safe," I smile, leaving her grasp. "Enjoy your date night!"

"Gosh, you two–we will!" She rolls her eyes, beckoning for us to leave. So, quickly, as I get into the car and play our favorite song, we begin jamming down the road to our academy.

"We~ are never, ever, ever getting back together!" Yuri screams her heart out as if it had been broken, dancing in her chair as we sit together at a stoplight. Quickly, she faces me, grinning. "Say, won't this be a magical night for you and my older brother? Your first and last dance before going to college together... it will be a topic brought up at your wedding one day!"

"You must want a wedding so bad. Have your own," I scold, hands tapping against the wheel. "Is Heeseung wearing the right clothing? He followed the theme, right?"

"Secret~" She put a finger over her lips, giggling like an immature teen. "Oh, come on, I know you want to know since you're the one who's following the theme, but you kept it from him. It's only right that I keep it for him."