Cosmo || Doctor Who

By blink_and_youre_dead

where a boy meets an alien and travels the universe Book 1 of the Spaceman Series. 334,926 Words Part One... More

Cosmo
Volume One
1 : Back Chat
2 : Jealousy
3 : Action This Day
4 : Save Me
5 : Leaving Home Ain't Easy
6 : Machines (Or Back To Humans)
7 : Keep Yourself Alive
8 : If You Can't Beat Them
9 : A Human Body
10 : Was It All Worth It
11 : Father To Son
12 : Don't Lose Your Head
14 : These Are The Days Of Our Lives
15 : The Night Comes Down
16 : Sleeping On The Sidewalk
17 : Dreamer's Ball
18 : The Miracle
19 : You Can't Fool Me
20 : Let Me Live
21 : Play The Game
22 : Fight From The Inside
23 : Too Much Love Will Kill You
24 : My Life Has Been Saved
Volume Two
25 : Transformations
26 : A Skeleton Of Something More
27 : Bright Sadness
28 : Ill Equipped
29 : Touch
30 : Body
31 : Wilderness
32 : In Her Honour
33 : The Writer
34 : Enabling Environment
35 : Clockwork
36 : Heart
37 : Parallels
38 : All This To Say
39 : Tension & Thrill
40 : Night Must End
41 : Son
42 : Almost Idyllic
43 : Today Has Been OK
44 : Image Of A Black Hole
45 : Awake
46 : The Great Conjunction
47 : Mission Complete
48 : Earth
49 : The Ink From Books
50 : Daughter
51 : Tethered
52 : Divine Creation
53 : Ghosts
54 : I'll Keep You Safe
55 : Uneven Odds
56 : Heaven Breaks
Volume Three
57 : Kick Off
58 : At Least We Made It This Far
59 : Part Of It
60 : A Hurt Like That
61 : If You Want It
62 : Everything Will Be
63 : Let It All Out
64 : Pressing On
65 : There Was No Thief
66 : Empty House
67 : Can't Complain
68 : The Scene And Herd
69 : Forward Motion
70 : Detestation and Reform
71 : Softer To Me
72 : The Vinyl Countdown

13 : Dead On Time

664 41 26
By blink_and_youre_dead

𝔏𝔬𝔫𝔡𝔬𝔫, 𝔈𝔫𝔤𝔩𝔞𝔫𝔡, 𝔈𝔞𝔯𝔱𝔥
𝔑𝔬𝔳𝔢𝔪𝔟𝔢𝔯 1986

Everything has its time, and everything must come to an end. There was only so long that the inevitable could be avoided for, and EJ knew that his tenancy in denial was running close to finish.

They had found Rose in no time at all as the Doctor raced ahead to see her just standing in the street like nothing was wrong. She didn't exactly blend into the wedding party by the church, but she didn't seem to mind. It didn't seem fair that they were doing all of the hard work and she had caused it.

She didn't understand yet, but she would. Just because it hadn't effected her yet, didn't mean that she would be left untouched. There had to be a consequence to her actions.

EJ's legs had never moved so fast in all of his life. As much as he was mad, he didn't want to see Rose hurt. They were friends. He loved his friends, and that meant he loved her too. When she was in sight, unharmed, he was able to breathe a sigh of relief.

"Rose!" The Doctor cried panicked as he ran.

She turned to face them with a smug grin on her face. It was the sort that EJ would have slapped straight off a bully. Her arms were folded as she waited, expectantly, for some sort of apology.

"Get in the church!"

They could see the immediate change on her face, a frown creeping up on her. EJ called. "Go!"

Just as they began to close in, and Rose almost started to move in the direction of the church, something formed in the air. It floated, almost like it was flying. EJ could only describe it as pterodactyl-like as it materialised from nothing. Then its centre opened up like a huge mouth with circular teeth in rounds, like a leech. It screeched at her, and Rose screamed in response.

     The creature saw her, and it dived with all of its might. Rose was lucky that the Doctor was a faster sprinter than EJ was, because he pushed her out of the way. They landed on the concrete pavement with a thud. The Thompson boy gasped for air as he caught, almost cartoon like as his face grew a bright shade of red.

     "Get in the church!" The Doctor insisted, clambering up, pulling Rose with him.

There were maybe thirty or so people gathered in front of the church, some already inside, but that didn't mean they would all get through safely. More creatures materialised from thin air, squawking like reptilian birds as their mouths locked open.

"Oh my God! What are they?" One of the women screamed in terror. Her hot pink dress was hideous. "What are they?"

"Inside!" The Doctor commanded once again, finding it hard to grasp their attention as he pushed forwards.

A man from the side closest to the church called out as he attempted to run over. "Sarah!"

"Stay in there!"

One of the older men from the other side seemed to panic more than the others. At the sight of these monsters, he ran, hoping that he wouldn't be noticed. He was only one person, after all. As soon as he moved, they saw him, so he ran faster. Though, luck wasn't on his side as when he ran, he tripped. It was enough of a stall for the creature to engulf him in its wings and eat him alive.

The woman in a big white dress, who's wedding it must have been, attempted to make a break for the church, but she she too stopped and screamed for dear life when one of the creatures looked her dead in the eyes. It took one glance at her, and dove in the opposite direction. The vicar was a quick meal.

The Doctor insisted again, coaxing them towards the church as it feasted. "In!"

"Come on!" EJ prompted as he was the last to enter the holy grounds before the slammed the doors shut. He breathed heavily.

     It took a moment for the Doctor to grasp his bearings and fully understand what was going on around them. This had never happened before. He wasn't as good at the things that had never happened before.

     "They can't get in. Old windows and doors. Okay?" His voice was minute in comparison to the creatures wails from outside. "The older something is, the stronger it is. What else?"

  As they swooped past the windows, EJ gulped. "We should, uh, check all the exits."

  The Doctor nodded and commanded towards the wedding guests, but they had a terrible habit of staying out. "Go and check the other doors! Move!"

  As the Thompson boy pulled a window shut, he noticed a much younger, less stylish, Jackie Tyler prowling towards the Doctor. Even before, she wasn't any different. "What's happening? What are they? What are they?"

  "There's been an accident in time." The Doctor said, calmly, securing another door. "A wound in time. They're like bacteria, taking advantage."

  "What d'you mean time? What you jabbering on about time?"

"Oh, I might've known you'd argue. Jackie, I'm sick of you complaining..."

EJ sniggered as she interrupted him. "How d'you know my name?"

The Doctor attempted reason. "I haven't got time-"

"I haven't met you in my life!" However, Jackie didn't seem to care at all.

"No, and you never will unless I sort this out. I've waited a long time to say this." There was an element of smugness hidden amongst his furious exterior. "Jackie Tyler, do as I say. Go and check the doors."

With a newfound respect, she agreed. "Yes, sir."

As she walked away, he grinned to himself. "I should've done that ages ago."

EJ made himself scarce as he raced to the Doctor's side. There were far too many things he wanted to say, and only half of them were appropriate. "You enjoyed that way too much."

"Hey, I'm allowed."

"Why?" The blonde raised his eyebrows. "Because you're some big time guy."

"Time Lord." He corrected. "And yes. Exactly that."

"Right, then."

  Then a man approached them who seemed to be fighting tears. "My Dad was out there."

  "You can mourn him later," The Doctor said, as apologetically as he could have. "Right now we've got to concentrate on keeping ourselves alive."

  "My Dad had..."

  "There's nothing I can do for him." He reiterated.

  However, when EJ scolded him, he finally looked up. "Doctor!"

  "No," The man agreed, sorrowfully, but held up a gigantic mobile device. "But he had this phone thing. I can't get it to work. I keep getting this voice."

  The Doctor took it, and dialled, holding it between himself and EJ so that they could both hear what it was saying. "Watson. Come here. I need you. Watson..."

  "That's the very first phone call. Alexander Graham Bell. I don't think the telephones gonna be of much use."

  "But someone must've called the police!"

  "The police can't help you now." The Doctor kept repeating it to them as he locked the door. "No one can. Nothing in this universe can harm those things. Time's been damaged, and they've come to sterilise the wound." He stepped towards Rose, though no one outside of them really knew what it was they were talking about. "By consuming everything inside."

  "Is this because..." She choked with her words hoarse. "Is this my fault?"

     Because he didn't answer, she assumed that she was right. And as he walked away, Rose looked despondently upon EJ, hoping that he might have some sort of answer. It was only to her distain that he was still severely annoyed. Mostly, he wanted to swear, but they were in a church. Something about that didn't feel right.

      "Is it?" Rose asked once more, though she already knew the answer.

  "If you hadn't have been so selfish this wouldn't have happened." EJ hissed, careful that no one else would hear them. "I wish I could change so many things, but I can't, and I won't. It would ruin everything."

     He quickly left too. There were doors to lock, and check, and people to keep from dying. It didn't have to be his responsibility, but EJ needed something to keep him busy. Otherwise, overthinking would definitely become an issue. Given all of the circumstances, it was quite therapeutic. Perhaps it was what they all needed to keep them sane.

     After a short while, the Doctor had gone into a side room where he could check the smaller doors and windows. Not knowing much of what to do anymore, EJ followed. Although, they didn't do much whilst they were there because Pete Tyler made it awkward. They didn't want to talk to him, but he seemed to want to talk to them.

     "There's smoke coming up from the city, but no sirens." He said. "I don't think it's just us. I think these things are all over the place. Maybe the whole world."

  Before any of them answered, the gold car which should have killed Pete fazed into existence, only running for a few seconds as it dissipated into the air again. "Did you..." EJ began, wide eyed.

  The Doctor nodded. "Yeah."

  "Was that a car?" Pete asked, curiously. They could see Rose in him.

  "It's not important." The Doctor patted his arm, walking off. "Don't worry about it."

     It was easier to leave than answer questions, because lying was much more difficult than they first expected. Everything would build up, and Rose probably wouldn't appreciate their meddling, even if it was all their fault.

As EJ shuffled around the main body of the church, one of the creatures had started taping itself against the largest stained glass window. It was like some sort of countdown, their time left to live measured by the things which would kill them, eventually. The boy had been through worse, though there was never this sort of suspense.

He watched as Rose and Pete interacted, from afar. It wasn't the sort of thing he could talk about, but he was jealous. They hugged as she sobbed, and even though it should never have happened, he wanted it for himself.

In no reality was EJ able to have that sort of care from his father. There was no situation where he could convince Scott Thompson to be a loving parent, especially when it was EJ who was asking.

With gritted teeth, he clamped his fists together, relishing the pain of his nails digging into his palms. It gave him a moment he wouldn't have otherwise felt grounded. It reminded him exactly who he was, and what he was doing.

He was EJ Thompson, and the Doctor needed his help.

The creatures were banging against the entrance door, and the Doctor was struggling to keep it closed long enough to use his sonic. EJ raced over and pressed his back against it, digging his heels into the stone flooring. Perhaps two people wasn't enough, but it would have to do.

     The man who had approached them about his father presented himself once more, but this time he wasn't alone. He was with the woman in the wedding dress. It must have been their special day which had gone to muck.

     "Excuse me." He queried, tentatively. "Mister... uh?"

  "Doctor."

  The blonde added. "EJ."

  "You seem to know what's going on."

  The Doctor nodded in agreement. "I give that impression, yeah."

  The man just gulped and stammered over his words. He looked so frightened. "I just wanted to ask..."

  "Can you save us?" The woman interrupted, holding back a sob. It was enough to capture their attention fully.

     With the door secure, the Doctor stepped forwards, allowing EJ to relax and take in the situation once more. There was concern in the way that he approached which wasn't always there. It seemed that he was learning from EJ and Rose, more than he was letting on.

     "Who are you two then?"

  "Stuart Hoskins." Said the man, and the woman added not too long after.

  "Sarah Clark."

  "And one extra." The Doctor observed, knowingly. "Boy or girl?"

  "I dunno." Sarah sighed with a soft smile. "I don't want to know, really."

  Then, he asked something else which was seemingly unrelated to it all. "How did all this get started?"

  "Doctor." EJ scolded, lightly. "Is now the time?"

  "Now is always the time." He shrugged. "So?"

  "Outside the Beatbox Club, two in the morning." Stuart recalled as if it were only yesterday. The growing grin on his lips showed the fondness in his memories.

"Street corner." Sarah smiled to herself. "I'd lost my purse, didn't have money for a taxi."

"I took her home."

"Then what?" The Doctor asked, clearly invested. "Asked her for a date?"

She just shrugged. "Wrote his number on the back of my hand."

"Never got rid of her since! My Dad said..." As soon as the words left Stuart's mouth, he lost enthusiasm. His eyes dropped to the floor as he stifled a sob in his throat.

Sarah stepped forwards now, a hand on her bump as she tried not to cry. "I don't know what this is all about, and I know we're not important..."

"I've travelled to all sorts of places, some things you couldn't even imagine, but... you two... street corner, two in the morning, getting a taxi home... I've never had a life like that." The Doctor smiled at them, genuinely. "Yes. I'll try and save you."

She was about to cry. "Sarah," EJ looked at her with sincerity. It was unlike him, but this seemed to matter. "It'll be okay. He's very good at this."

The couple seemed to need some time alone, so EJ prompted the Doctor so they could leave. Though, they were barely out of the way for a minute when Jackie handed her cradle with the baby Rose in it over to the Doctor. At first, he was offended that he wasn't the sole carer for her at that moment. However, as soon as he remembered what he looked like, he understood.

No one wanted to entrust their child to someone dressed like a punk. His tattoos were enough to scare anyone off, never mind the bleached hair and piercings.

They sat at the front of the church, where a vicar might give a service, facing away as they rested the baby in her basket on one of the pews. It was their task to keep her happy while Jackie was gone, for however long she was gone. This became even harder when the creatures began to screech again, she became unhappy. Baby Rose was just as stubborn as the adult Rose.

The Doctor hadn't been around a baby in a long time, and whilst he was quite good at keeping her content, making sure she wasn't bored was more EJ's forte. He was a wiz with kids. His own had never known an unhappy day in his life, even if they hadn't all been with him.

Under the Doctor's instructions, EJ was careful with how much contact they made with the baby. It was wrong to assume that they might not have some sort of influence on her.

"Now, Rose, you're not going to bring about the end of the world, are you?" The Doctor cooed, sternly. "Are you?"

"Oh, leave her alone." EJ grinned at the infant dressed in purple. "She doesn't know what she's doing, yet."

"Jackie gave her to me to look after. Boy wonder here's stolen her." Rose had joined them. "How times change."

"I'd better be careful." She sighed. Today was a long day. "I think I just imprinted myself on Mickey like a mother chicken."

"Mickey?" EJ raised his eyebrows. "Like Mickey Mickey."

"Yeah." Rose gulped. "Leave it."

She leant towards the baby, just for a moment, and the screeches from outside became louder. The Doctor pulled her back, and EJ kept her there. She didn't struggle.

"No! Don't touch the baby!" It was important she knew why. "You're both the same person, that's a paradox. And we don't want a paradox, not with these things outside. Anything new, any disturbance in time, makes them stronger. A paradox might let them in."

"I can't do anything right, can I?"

Bluntly, the Doctor replied. "Since you asked, no. So... don't touch the baby."

Rose retaliated, full of fire. "I'm not stupid!"

"You could've fooled me!"

"You're getting mean again!" EJ interjected, sternly. "Both of you."

  "Alright." The Doctor nodded, partly conceding. "I'm sorry. I wasn't really going to leave you on your own."

  Rose smiled. "I know."

  He pulled them in, slightly closer, making sure that no one else could hear. "Between us, I haven't got a plan. No idea. No way out."

  "It'll be fine." EJ smiled at him softly, rubbing his arm. "You've got this."

  "You'll think of something." Rose agreed.

  "The entire Earth's been sterilised. This, and other places like it, are all that's left of the human race. We might hold out for a while, but nothing can stop those creatures. They'll get through, the walls aren't that old. And there's nothing I can do to stop them." When the Doctor sounded defeated, everyone else did too.

  "We can work something out together." EJ tried his best to install some sort of confidence, but it wasn't his forte. "It can't be that hard..."

  "There used to be laws stopping this kind of thing from happening. My people would've stopped this. But they're all gone." He closed his eyes, as if to remember them for a moment. "And now I'm going the same way."

  "If I'd realised..." Rose trailed, inside of how to continue.

  "Just..." The Doctor paused. "Tell me you're sorry."

  "I am." She replied with tears dripping down her face. "I'm sorry."

It was easy for him to forgive her after that, with a gentle hand on the side of her face. EJ couldn't see the intention behind it, whether it was platonic or romantic. They'd obviously had time together before him, and maybe there would be time after, so he wondered. It didn't take long for them to start hugging and for him to feel like an idiot for just standing there.

EJ cleared his throat. "So..."

"Come here, then." Rose opened her arms for the blonde boy to squeeze his way into their cuddle.

It was warm. He felt relaxed in their company, even in such awful situations like this. That was, until he felt something warm burning from the inside of the Doctor's leather jacket. It burnt into his clothes too.

"Doctor?" EJ raised an eyebrow, pulling back slightly. "Is there..."

"Have you got something hot?" Rose asked, concerned as she opened his pocket, only to pull out a white hot Tardis key. She threw it down with a yelp, scalding her fingers.

Glowing a sort of bright yellow, the Doctor look at it and exclaimed brightly. "It's the Tardis key!" He took his jacket of quickly to use it as a sort of glove as they gathered around him. "It's telling me it's still connected to the Tardis."

Because of that, the Doctor found it so much easier to come up with a plan. This had given him hope where nothing else could have, not even his friends.

He gathered everyone to the front of the pews so that they could hear what he had to say. They'd given the baby back too, because they couldn't care for her as well as inform them of a new plan. The Doctor didn't give too much background information on himself, only that he knew how to help.

"The inside of my ship was thrown out of the wound, but we can use this to bring it back." The Doctor explained, holding up the key for them all too say. "And once I've got my ship back, I can mend everything! I just need a bit of power. Has anybody got a battery?"

From the pews, Stuart picked up the phone he'd shown them earlier. "This one big enough?"

As he marched it open, the Doctor grinned. "Fantastic!"

"Good old Dad. There you go."

Taking his sonic in one hand, he used it to amplify the power of the battery. "Just need to do a bit of charging up, and then we can bring everyone back."

He was right. All they had to do was wait. Only, waiting was a gruelling process and EJ was certainly not patient.

     The key had balanced mid air, in the place where the lock would materialise when the Tardis was able to break through the wound. It would take some time, but it would be worth it. When the faint outline of the ship began to show, the Doctor put his jacket back on. He looked slightly odd without it.

     "Right, no one touches that key!" He commanded, speaking it like a Gospel. "Have you got that? Don't touch it! Anyone touches that key, it'll be... well, zap! Just leave it be and everything will be fine. We'll get out of here. All of us." As if he were looking for inspiration, he caught sight of the couple. "Stuart! Sarah! You're gonna get married, just like I said!"

     He really was starting to become optimistic, and that was a frightening thing. It meant it wasn't going to stay that way for long. No one could stay so positive in this sort of situation, not even the Doctor.

     The trio had decided to hide out at the back of the church, in the corner, near the organ, because it was out of sight. They stressed everyone else out just as much as themselves; they were of no real use, not when the Tardis was still thrumming in and out of a physical body.

     Although, Jackie kept looking back. It was slightly disconcerting because her state matched that of a well-educated lawyer rooting for information. It didn't help that Pete was nearby. She didn't trust them, not really.

Rose whispered under her breath, hunched over her lap. "When time gets sorted out.."

"Everybody here forgets what happened." The Doctor said. "And don't worry, the thing that you changed will... stay changed."

"You mean, I'll be alive." Pete spoke up, unexpectedly, and their heads shot around to meet his gaze. He wasn't supposed to know. "Though, I'm meant to be dead. That's why I haven't done anything with my life. Why it didn't mean anything."

The Doctor answered. "Doesn't work like that."

"Rubbish." He returned. "I was so useless, I couldn't even die properly. Now, it's my fault all this has happened."

"This is my fault." Rose bit her lip and EJ squeezed her hand. He was mad still, but she was hurting.

"No, love," Pete smiled at her softly. "I'm your Dad. It's my job for it to be my fault."

"Her Dad?" Perhaps it was a mistake not to keep an eye on Jackie, because she'd heard enough to start a war within her own marriage. Disgusted, she whispered. "How are you her Dad? How old were you? 12? Oh, that's disgusting."

While they spoke as a disjointed, cross-temporal family, EJ and the Doctor excused themselves for a moment. It was none of their business how it was rectified, only that it was enough so that they could get on with saving the world. Again.

However, it didn't last very long. At most, they'd been gone for a minute, and Pete was already holding his baby in his arms, ready to pass her over to Rose. It was chaos. It was the end of the world in the form a the same human.

"Rose!" The Doctor cried as he ran back over in attempt to grab the baby before she did, but he was just a second too late. "No!"

As fast as he could, he took the baby from Rose's arms but by then, it was all over. One of the creatures was inside. It materialised in front of the largest window, and screeched at them with the greatest force it had. The congregation screamed and panicked, but it wouldn't change the present.

"Everyone behind me!" The Doctor called loud enough for them to hear.

Doing as he said, EJ stayed only just behind his shoulder before hissing in his ear. "But they'll get you."

"Better me than one of you." He gulped. "You're in charge."

"Me?" It didn't make sense. "Why me?"

"Not now." The Doctor scalded. "I'm the oldest thing in here!" He bellowed at the creatures. EJ tried to hold him back, but he was shaken off with relative ease. He could feel the tears welling in his eyes, and his bit his tongue so that he didn't cry.

The legs of the creature opened in the way a flower might bloom to reveal its circular mouth and rows of ice-like teeth. It was ugly, and frightening, and EJ knew that nothing good would come from it being in the church with them.

"Doctor!" Rose screamed, but it didn't change a thing.

     The creature swooped at him, and in one swift motion, it ate the Doctor whole. Everyone else scarpered as it kept flying around the four church walls. Whilst it searched for its next victim, it flew into the Tardis just as it was starting to create a physical form, and knocked the key to the ground. Just as the Doctor had said, by touching the key, it evaporated the creature.

     EJ ran towards it, with Rose flanking to his left. He picked up the key and scowled before passing it onto the girl. She frowned.

  "Cold."

  Shaking his head, EJ grimaced. "Bloody freezing."

  "It's cold." She repeated. "Oh my God, he's dead."

  Peter attempted to touch her shoulder, but she shrugged him away without a second thought. "I wouldn't." The Thompson boy shook his head. "It's not the right time."

  "It's all my fault. Both of you! All of you!" Pete ignored EJ's instructions and encapsulated her in a warm hug. "The whole world!"

  The screaming never stopped, and everyone else was becoming more tense. "This is it." One of the bridesmaids panicked. "There's nothing we can do. It's the end."

     The sky was darkening outside. It only caused more disturbances. Rose was finding it all a little hard to cope with, so EJ did as the Doctor had asked. With all of the crying, and the shaking, he knew that he couldn't just leave them to their own devices. There wasn't much in the church that could be used for comfort, but there was a few blankets, and enough tea and coffee to last a lifetime. He wouldn't have any himself.

     When everyone was more or less sorted, Rose and EJ were sat together at the back of the church again. Only, their small silence didn't last long. Pete approached them again, a tea in his hand. He wasn't sure how to deal with two depressed young adults.

     "The Doctor really cared about you, about you both." He attempted. "He didn't want you to go through it again, not if there was another way. Now there isn't."

  Rose stood to match his height, startled. "What are you talking about?"

  "The car should have killed me, love. It's here." Pete put his jacket back on, and shook his arms out a little. "The Doctor worked it out way back, pretty sure your mate here did too..."

  "My name's EJ." He grumbled under his breath. "It's not that hard."

  "But he, uh, he tried to protect me. Still... he's not in charge anymore. I am."

  Rose's words began to choke her as she sobbed gently. "But you can't..."

  "Who am I, love?" Pete asked as he put a warm hand to her cheek.

  Crying, she replied "My daddy."

  "Jackie, look at her, she's ours."

  EJ was half expecting her to protest again, but she didn't. Not once. There was a sudden realisation in her eyes and she embraced Rose tightly. "Oh God."

  "I'm meant to be dead, Jackie." He choked, finally at peace with the conclusion. "You're gonna get rid of me at last."

  "Don't say that."

  "For once in your life, trust me. It's gotta be done. You've gotta survive cos you've got to bring up our daughter." They kissed like they were newlyweds, because they knew it was going to be their last. "I never read you those bedtime stories, I never took you on those picnics. I was never there for you."

  Rose sobbed once more, and it was heart wrenching to hear. "You would've been."

  "But I can do this for you." Pete smiled. He was determined to see it through. "I can be a proper Dad to you now."

  "It's not fair."

  "I've had all these extra hours. No one else in the world has ever had that. And on top of that, I get to see you. And you're beautiful. How lucky am I? Eh? So, come on, do as your Dad says."

  As Pete picked up the vase, EJ outstretched his hand. "It was an honour to meet you, uh, sir."

  "Take care of each other." Pete nodded as he shook the boy's hand. "Take care of her."

  "I will." EJ didn't like the responsibility but he could tell that this was necessary to them all surviving. "I'll look after her."

  He just smiled before turning to Rose, who's glassy eyes made his heart ache. "You gonna be there for me, love?" She couldn't say anything, so she nodded and sobbed silently as Pete hugged her for the last time. "Thanks."

     He saw it as a gift. He saw those extra hours as a blessing, and it was the only way which didn't seem cruel. His daughter, the daughter who never knew him, saved his life. It was his duty now to save hers.

      Pete opened the church doors without much warning so no one could stop him as he ran into the road. His head turned three times to see where the car was, but it hadn't appeared yet. With all of the creatures screeching, they could only hope that the car reaches him first.

     And then, it was there. The golden car. It came out of nowhere, and Pete raced in front of it so the driver had no chance of swerving out of the way. They watched as the vase smashed, and as he fell to the ground, twitching slightly. The creatures disappeared almost instantly, but Rose's Dad was still dying.

     They watched from the church doors, and Rose breathed sharply as she grasped onto EJ. He didn't have anything left to say, so he gripped her tightly. The only thing which eased the blow was seeing the Doctor walk out of the church and put a soft hand on Rose's shoulder the moment she needed encouraging the most.

     "Go to him." He prompted. It was like deja vu. "Quick." 

     It took nothing else for Rose to race into the centre of the road where Pete had sacrificed himself so that she could hold his hand. It was their moment. However awful it may have been, it was exactly how it was supposed to be from the very beginning.

     While she was gone, EJ took the opportunity to wrap the Doctor in a swift and tight hug. It almost never happened, but whilst his arms were wrapped around him, EJ kissed his cheek gently. He wasn't one to be embarrassed by affection, but he didn't know where this one had come from. The Doctor didn't mention it.

      "Don't you go being all heroic ever again." EJ grumbled, running a hand through his blonde hair. "It's disgusting."

  "Disgusting?" He scoffed, shaking his head. "That's rude. I saved your life."

  "Yeah, yeah... thanks for that, I guess." Digging his heels into the ground, the Thompson boy sighed. "I missed you. I... I didn't know what to do."

  "You did it, though."

  "Pete did it." EJ smiled. "I just made tea."

  "Then you made tea, even so, you did it." The Doctor grinned widely. "Now don't go getting all sappy on me. We've got to go."

The people who were attending the wedding had started to crowd around as the saw Pete in the road and Rose holding his hand. When the ambulances siren could be heard, they knew it was their cue to leave.

As they pried Rose from her father, EJ gulped. Taking her hand as they walked to the Tardis was the easy part. He knew he had to do what he had promised, because it was one of the only things he had Pete had said to one another. Rose was his friend. It was his duty to care for her, and to care for himself.

She calmed down relatively quickly, given the circumstances. When she had, they all sat in the console room, and EJ fiddled with his fingers for a moment. His hazel eyes darted from the Doctor to Rose as he wondered to himself. Then, he knew he couldn't put it off any longer, and this had confirmed it.

He cleared his throat, gaining their attention, before he spoke. "I want to tell you a story."

✯ ★ ✯

Disclaimer!!!
I do not own Doctor Who, it's characters and original storylines. The only things I do own are my own characters, my addition to the series and my own storylines. Any similarities to real life are purely coincidental.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

69.7K 2.3K 67
callisto, an alien from a far away planet, is trapped in a museum of alien artefacts. a man with no name and only a job title finds her and invites h...
26.4K 893 45
I won. I won the family wizard competition all for nothing. Justins in the wizard world, he took over for Professor Crumbs. Max still runs the sub st...
103K 1.4K 95
The Seer adventures with The 10th Doctor.