HEARTEATER

By chatisdaddy

a D1 relationship hater falls for a helpless romantic. More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6

Chapter 4

29 1 0
By chatisdaddy

Three days.

It's been three days since the party and I still haven't given anyone my number.

Though, I haven't left the house since, so you really can't blame me.

I'm fine with not rushing this process. Rolling Loud isn't for another couple of weeks.

Essence is the only one who seems to be suffering.

"Did you get a text yet?" She asks for the millionth time this morning.

She's been bugging me about a text for days now. She won't tell me who it would be from or why it's so significant.

I take a bite out of my buttered toast before shaking my head no as I scroll through TikTok.

"Ugh!" She groans. "You're not taking this serious enough!"

"Who do I look like stressing over a random's text? You wont even tell me why this text is so important."

She sits next to me on a barstool at the island and lets out a long sigh. "You know most people would die of suspense if they knew they were supposed to be expecting something at anytime."

"Those people don't know their self worth if they're impatiently waiting more than five minutes for something to come to them."

I go back to scrolling until I can feel Essence staring into the back of my head. I groan in annoyance, "Do you want me to check my notifications?" I ask without looking at her.

"Your phone's seriously on DND?!" She gasps.

"Yeah," I shrug. "When isn't it?" Pulling down my Notification Center, I read through each and every notification in a descending order.

Most of them being from Fashion Nova and Shein.

"15% off summer clothing on Fashion Nova, you think it's worth it?" I read out loud.

"Yeah, later. Who's that text from..? The unsaved number."

"Oh," I read the number to myself. "That's you."

"Bitch-"

I stifle a laugh.

She ignores me and rolls her eyes as she reads through my notifications. "What about that one?"

"Which one?"

She points to a four-oh-seven area-coded number. I tap on the notification and read it.

Unsaved Number.
3:08 AM

(407) xxx-xxxx
luxury.

I read the message that has nothing but my first name in all lower case. My eyes narrow in confusion. "The fuck?" I reread the number, but it's not ringing a bell.

Essence lets out a squeal.

I whip my head toward her to see her cover her mouth as if she didn't mean to do that.

"Do you know who this is?"

"No..."

"Essence, I'm not fucking playing."

"Okay, okay, don't be mad." She starts and takes a few steps back for her own safety. "I gave your number to the cutie from the party. But only because he asked. I'm sorry, okay don't be mad." She rushes out.

I open my mouth to speak but she cuts me off by saying, "It's my birthday!"

"No it's not."

"I know, it's just," she runs towards the couch and hides under a pillow the best she can. "You can't kill me on my birthday."

I scoff and roll my eyes, obviously sick of her bullshit already and we just woke up.

I read the message again. "How do you even know this is him?"

Essence walks back over to me and peaks over my shoulder, "It has to be. Who else would call you Luxury? Everyone down here calls you Princess which I think is corny as hell."

"We both think is corny as hell." I correct. "Plus, that's an Orlando area code. Nobody from up there should have my number, right? I don't even give it out."

"Exactly! It's gotta be him, text back!"

"What? No."

"Why not!"

"I don't even know this nigga. I'm not gonna text him back."

"Luxury, please. Just this once. He could be the most entertaining guy for this challenge. Think about it."

I bite my lip and actually consider her words. Rolling Loud is something I've wanted to go to all my life, tickets just be expensive as fuck.

And I refuse to go if I can't go for all three days.

attitude.
why did you want my number?

"There," I say as I place my phone down. "I sent it. I'm not expecting him to reply immediately. If he was awake that late that means he must sleep in pretty late-"

"He responded." Essence says.

I pick my phone back up, and sure enough, he responded right back.

(407) xxx-xxxx
what? 😂
your weird ass friend threatened me.

attitude.
what?

(407) xxx-xxxx
she told me if i didn't take your number and text it, she'd hunt me down and circumcise me.

"The fuck?," I blink. "Ess, what is he talking about?."

"What? Lemme see." She leans over and read the messages. "His lying ass... I did not!"

I stare at her.

"On you I didn't."

"On me!?" I scoff.

(407) xxx-xxxx
she may have been drunk though.

I chuckle.

attitude
talking out ya ass.
she came home sober.

(407) xxx-xxxx
fine. you got me.
i like your smart-ass mouth.
it kinda woke me up

"He basically just said my smart mouth was sexy," I repeat aloud to Essence. "What should I say?"

"Mm," she hums as she chugs down a sip of apple juice. "Be like, 'It suctions sexy too-'"

"Yeah, you just ruined it." I say, cutting my phone off completely.

"Luxuryyy," she groans. Essence grabs her keys and purse before walking to the door.

"Where you going?" I ask.

"Dick appointment."

"It's barely ten o'clock yet."

"They say morning sex is the best." She does a one-shouldered shrug and walks towards the door, leaving me to stare at the message that's been left on read for a little over a minute.

"Are you gonna text him back?" She asks.

"Yeah," I laugh. "I like his personality a lot already. He's blunt and sarcastic. Like me."

"Ooh, he got you cheesing and shit. You know what they say, 'If you can make her laugh and giggle... you can make them cheeks clap and jiggle.'"

"Fucking weirdo," I laugh. "I bet Lance is gonna have those cheeks clapping. Or was it Josiah?"

"Haha. Very funny," She deadpans. "And it's Bray."

"The short one?"

"Mhm," she hums as she reaches for the door handle. "Feel like being dominant. He told me he was into whimpering and shit... Kinda wanna ride me some of that."

"Get out."

"I'll send the video if you want-"

"Out."

"Ugh. Damn, okay!" She closes the door and makes her way out the building.

I rest my head and in my hands and stare at the door with a small smile resting on my face.

Sometimes, I can't believe Essence and I are friends.

We met in middle school.

She was a pretty girl with braces and long, knotless braids.

She claims the first time we met, I mean-mugged the shit out of her. But I think she's exaggerating.

All I did was look at her outfit from head to toe to see if it matched. It did.

The next day, she sat by me at lunch and started ranting about all three of her crushes and how she needed help picking out which one to date.

I told her to shut the fuck up and go away.

She didn't listen, obviously.

Once I realized she would be by my side during every move I made, no matter how much I sighed and groaned, I learned to enjoy her presence.

She's stuck with me as my only friend since.

Now, we're two nineteen-year-olds sharing one condo in Broward.

Essence got me out of my introverted, mean-girl act and helped me become a little more social.

In fact, she was the one who encouraged me to confess my feelings to Dee.

Which is why I think it's so ironic how she wants me to get over him so fast.

Either way, she's my best friend.

And as much as it hurts me to say this, I love her with everything in me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

605K 36.8K 101
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...
253K 5.1K 39
In which a boy goes to college to be the best at basketball and to succeed and he meets a girl trying to do the same for herself , but they need each...
12.6K 65 7
uhh this is about duke dennis .. the man he is himself so basically this will be about how this random girl fell inlove w him while him,kai and davo...
51.2K 1.6K 38
LaMelo Ball and Solana Rowe are coddled into a fantasy precarious relationship that perhaps, through a tumultuous storyline of salacious and melancho...