It should be better than this.

By dollpurgatory

A few months after his downfall, the new Institution of Imperfection had been blossoming, as the two opposite... More

2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10
11
12

1.

516 11 4
By dollpurgatory

It hadn't been too long since two parallel worlds had collided, melded together to make the now called 'Institution of Imperfection'- but everyone could've sworn they had known each other for much longer. Despite what was drilled into their heads continually in the previous months, the prettydolls took quite fondly of their new, haphazardly shaped friends. No time it took for the two sides to become kindly with one another, breaking down the metaphorical and literal walls of their civilisations using a plastic toy digger. It also didn't take too long before a variety of houses were moved to mix with the opposites, each of the symmetrical houses painted with a rainbow of pastel hues to blend with the topsy-turvy ones.

And in the centre of it all, Lou watched all those recent events crash down upon him, everything that he knew being torn away from him.

First off was his reputation, which he would blame the sock puppets for ruining, despite him announcing his secret himself. He hadn't told a soul about his true purpose of sticking around and teaching the dolls, so all the prototype talk that slid out of his mouth during the gauntlet was truly humiliating for him. "A prototype should never get upset over being one", he would be told, "because they have a key role to play as the mentor over the other dolls". However, after the infiltration of uglies, everyone had turned against him, dethroning him from any sort of responsibility he had over them. What role does he have now?

Next off was his looks, something that was dear to him. The washing machine hadn't changed much of his appearance, yet Lou would declare otherwise. Sure, his clothes were slightly shrunken, and his hair had started off as unkept spikes before slowly drying into almost its original mould, though now messier and wavier; but to him, he was hideous. "A prototype should always be in pristine condition", he would be told, "with pristine clothing and hair. No stains, smudges or spills on even a miniscule patch of fabric." After being forced to do janitorial work, avoiding such s's of messes was practically impossible. So much for that, then.

Finally, we have his home, which Lou had been kicked out of, assigned to live in the same storage 'suite' he forced the uglydolls to live in during, what he thought, would be their brief stay. Saying the housing was a slight stepdown from his glamourous mansion would be an understatement, especially to Lou. "A prototype should live in comfortable conditions", he would be told, "a house in the centre of the action that overlooks everything in the institute". Now he was in the opposite position, as the storage unit had stayed in its fenced walls, blocked away from the rest of Imperfection.

And despite all his wrong-doings and vicious actions, Lou would never openly blame himself for his position now. He had thought about it, heck, he had been thinking about it ever since he was defeated, but his actions could always be justified to the prototype. Because prototypes need to be the role model. Prototypes need to stay in control. Prototypes need to dispose of anything and everything that doesn't fit the demands. 

Prototype. 

Prototype

Prototype--

Lou hadn't realised he had been fixed in place for the past few minutes until he felt a harsh nudge of a metal snout. He twisted around, noticing the large, metallic dog slowly lifting her head up again with what could be interpreted as a scowl on her face. He mirrored the disgusted expression back at the machine. It was early morning, the yawn ball sun slowly lifting its head over the pale-blue sky as dolls began to wake up and mingle around. The blond doll glanced at the small groups walking together or greeting "good morning" to one another, before lowering his head again.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm doing the work." He gritted his teeth, dragging the mop across a paint smothered floor, twisting and swirling it around. Lou had noticed the previous day that a certain sunglasses-wearing, one-eyed 'Ugly Dog' had decided to go through what was left of the paintballing machine that was used during the doll's trials. He thought it would be a good idea to play dodgeball using the paint with a group of other dolls, as the weather had been the most pleasant yesterday after a week of rain. What the blue dog did not realise, or rather, did not care for, was the amount of paint that had been splattered across the streets that this tired blond would have to clean up. Lou cursed him for being so reckless as he finished cleaning one of the many messy spots, scrubbing off the neon pink paint from his mop. Dragging his feet, he held the bucket in one hand and the mop in another, to a different area of chaos, the robot dog following not too far behind- both oblivious to the fact that someone was observing them.

...

"Hellooo? Earth to Nolan?" A warm-chestnut hand waved over the mismatched eyes of a currently deep-in-thought Nolan. No response. The doll sighed, moving her hands to tighten her bun more. It isn't unexpected for him to be drained at this hour, not to mention they had practically dragged the sleepy doll out of his house a few minutes ago by the golden "UGLY!" sign wrapped around his neck. They were all sitting at Wage's diner that morning as they usually would, because no one to them can create better food than the amazing chef herself.

"Give me a second Mandy, I'll wake him up." Came another voice, who's navy fringe bobbed slightly as he stood up, stepped around the table, and began to violently shake the brunet.

"AAAH! ...Michael! What was that for?" Nolan spluttered, blinking up to the doll who lazily sat back opposite Mandy. Nolan only got a light chuckle from the two as a response, as an orange bear-looking doll plodded over, holding plates full of pancakes, eggs and bacon, and pastries. The aroma could automatically turn heads with how delightful it smelt. "Nolan daydreaming again?" Wage laughed, lightly placing the piled plates upon the table to the delight of the dolls. Nolan looked at the uglydoll with an obviously guilty face.

"Uhm..." He quickly tried to think of a lie. "I was just looking at the sunrise..." They all looked over towards the slowly rising sun, burning a yellow shade into a cloudy blue. Nolan silently thanked the sunrise for being stunning enough to be a subversion.

"Oh, it's gorgeous when the sun rises." Mandy responded with a soft smile, "nothing better to wake up to than a new day dawning."

"And Wage's delicious food!" called another doll from a table across the diner, the three prettydolls nodding cheerfully in agreement.

"Well, I'm flattered! Enjoy your meals, you three."

Nolan silently sighed in relief as he began eating his food. It was quite evident that he had been watching the previous leader of the institution fumble around with his janitorial work, though when the other dolls had been looking where Nolan was looking, he had walked on. The doll didn't really know why he watched for however long; he would want to say it was out of entertainment of watching someone who had publicly belittled him get a taste of his own medicine, but no... that wasn't like Nolan. If it were out of entertainment, he would've pointed it out to the others to laugh at, or giggle to himself and brush it off after seeing it. This wasn't the first time he noticed him, either. Nolan constantly notices Lou when he's out cleaning whatever mess the dolls had made for him. He seemed almost... pitiful? Nolan's freckled face scrunched slightly at the thought.

Does Lou even deserve pity? He had thought this time and again. Did someone who ridiculed him, and left him feeling so self-conscious and anxious deserve what happened to him?

Nolan finished his plate with the others, half-listening to their casual chit-chat, half-internally debating with himself. Mandy placed her cutlery on the plate and stretched her arms tiredly. "Today's going to be a doozy." They began, "I planned to help Kitty and Lydia on some interior designing... since Tuesday seems to be busy on constructing, I believe."

Michael raised his head upon hearing this. "Oh! Her and Babo told me about that a day or two ago. Said it was a new sculpture of sorts? 'Very out there' was the way Tuesday described it. ...I'm not too sure what that means though..."

"Knowing Tuesday, I'm sure it'll be very 'out there'." Nolan grinned. He didn't know much about Tuesday until after the uglydolls appeared, but as of late she's been getting very inspired with decorating the town. Recently, she has put colourful bunting with different misshapen flower patterns from the entrance of the institute that run to the back, as well as constructing a range of lop-sided structures. They're unconventional for sure, but no one has stopped her in her creative visions.

"I'm planning on just hanging out with Meghan today." Michael slumped back in his seat. "I'm pretty sure she only invited me to go through law stuff whilst her child's away, but I'll find a way out of doing that, haha!"

Michael and Meghan, from Nolan's knowledge, had become instant friends as soon as they met. They acted basically like siblings, he realised, despite their differences. They would constantly squabble over the pettiest of things one minute before laughing with each other the next, and today probably won't be too different.

"Nolan, are you planning on continuing that painting?" The cherry-haired doll turned towards the green-streaked brunet.

"...I think so."

He eventually responded to the question but mentally he was elsewhere, arguing with himself yet again with a new idea that came to mind. However, such a plan probably won't be seen too fondly if he were to mention it.

"Wait, so is the reason why you haven't been sleeping because of that painting?" Michael butted in, frowning faintly.

"Promise me you'll get the best night's sleep tonight at least."

"Well, I'm just about done so here's to hoping." The doll rubbed one of his eyes, before blinking himself back into alertness.

...

The three eventually got up to go in their separate ways for the day, Michael asking Mandy to say "Hi" to Lydia for him, Nolan lightly smirking at the slight blush the blue boy had upon mentioning her name.

Waving goodbye, he walked on, still considering the new plan in his head. Seeing Lou this morning had made him consider something. Had anyone properly spoken to Lou since the gauntlet? He would've thought that Moxy might've since she seemed so supportive to Nolan when he was overcoming his insecurities, and she was just a lovely doll in general. But... No, Lou wouldn't dare talk to the doll who took him out of power. He at least knew that Ox had spoken to Lou on occasion, but he thought it was probably just to keep him in check; Ox is the mayor after all and Lou was well, Lou. Nolan couldn't really think of anyone else who would've talked to him. He supposed it really was pitiful, then. They gave his spies as well as his backup singers second chances, despite their mishaps. Not to say their actions were as reprehensible, no, but everyone knew their reasoning for working with him. No one truly knew Lou's motivation for doing what he did; everyone had just presumed it was out of his own selfish needs to stay in power. But from Lou's words, it didn't seem that way. Maybe... Just maybe...

"Screw it", Nolan mumbled to himself, striding forward with a deep breath.

I'm talking to Lou.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

270K 7.8K 133
"𝑻𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆'𝒔 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒚 𝒏𝒐 𝒘𝒂𝒚 𝒐𝒇 𝒘𝒊𝒏𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒊𝒇 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒊𝒓 𝒆𝒚𝒆𝒔 𝒚𝒐𝒖'𝒍𝒍 𝒂𝒍𝒘𝒂𝒚𝒔 𝒃𝒆 𝒂 𝒅𝒖𝒎𝒃 𝒃𝒍𝒐𝒏𝒅𝒆."
23.9K 1.3K 34
Y/N is reincarnated in HI3rd as her/his favorite character, Houraiji Kyuushou. She finds herself in Nagazora, and starts to explore it, trying to fin...
159K 3.6K 61
imagines as taylor swift as your mom and travis kelce as your dad
99.8K 1.4K 50
𝐈𝐭𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐥 , 𝐀𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐲𝐚𝐡 𝐢𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐢𝐧 𝟏𝟎𝐭𝐡 𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐝𝐞, 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐥𝐞 𝐬𝐡𝐞𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐬𝐡...