RWBY: Grimm Slayer (Vol.2) (M...

By ZANE_555

Here is the second volume of this fanfiction. (Keep in mind that this fanfic is based on Celtic Phoenix's Fi... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34

Chapter 12

464 12 3
By ZANE_555

More than a week has passed since the Paladin fight and life at Beacon has been relatively the same. Pyrrha's daily routine consists of going to classes, hanging out with her friends, getting exhausted when training with Jaune and Y/N, and during all of this, some fans of hers come up to her after certain classes to get her autographs, which Y/N would sometimes tease her over it, making her blush a bit. Regardless, it was the same as usual, until...

(Oobleck's Class aka World History)

Oobleck: "Alright, students! I'm assigning you all for a partner project covering how the Great War of Remnant led to the Faunus rebellion. This will be one of the final assignments for the year."

The students begin to talk with one another over this project until Oobleck clear his throat to gain their attention and resume his explanation. 

Oobleck: "The condition for this project is that the partner cannot be from one's own team. It must be someone else from another team."

Students begin to groan and complain a little about this, while a certain pair of teams are more excited about it than the rest. 

Oobleck: "This condition is to encourage understanding and communication between members outside of your own teams. Now, quickly, go find someone to pair off with."

While most of the students reluctantly get up from their seats and try to find someone to pair off with, Team RWBY+Y/N and Team JNPR are excited about being pair off with one another. 

Y/N: ("Yes! Thank the gods!")

Ruby: "Alright, guys! Time to draw straws!"

As she said this, Ruby takes out a bundle of straws with her two hands. The two team prepare to take reach for their straw.

Ruby: "Ready and..."

Everyone: "Go!"

The two teams look at the number on their straws and the results are in.

Ruby: "Yeah! I'm paired with Pyrrha!"

Nora: "Heck yeah, Blake! You're with me!"

Blake: "Y-Yeah?"

Yang: "Looks like we're partner now, my fellow blondie."

Jaune: "Aw man, I wanted to be paired off with Weiss."

Pyrrha takes that heart-wrenching complaint in stride with an awkward smile as she tries to comfort Jaune. Weiss look at her straw before looking at Ren.

Ren: "Seems like I'm paired with you, Weiss."

Weiss: "Yeah... seems like it."

The heiress looks over to see Y/N, holding his straw and looking at the number 0, which none of his friends have. Ruby and the others also realize that Y/N is basically have no one to pair with. Noticing their gaze, Y/N laugh embarrassingly as he scratches his hair.

Y/N: "Eh, don't worry, guys. I mean, there's nine of us so, of course I'd be the odd one out. I'll just go find someone else to partner with."

Y/N looks around the class to see almost everyone has found their partner. All except for two other students, Velvet and Cardin.

 From what Y/N can tell, Velvet doesn't socialize with anyone in this class outside of his team and JNPR and Cardin is someone practically everyone in this class avoids at all time. Taking this chance, Y/N goes to approach Velvet with a cheerful smile.

Y/N: "Hey, Velvet. Want to pair off with me?"

The rabbit Faunus is surprised briefly until she nods, smiling softly to him. 

Velvet: "Oh, yeah. I would love to." 

The two glance over at Cardin, who's trying his best to not to talk to either of them. Unbeknownst to Velvet, Y/N is quite smug over the fact that no one wants to partner up with Cardin. 

Y/N: ("Heh, too bad for you, prick.")

That is, until Oobleck spot the three of them, sensing the unease between them and knowing their interactions with one another.

Oobleck: "I see you three are the only ones who haven't found a partner."

Y/N: "Huh?"

Oobleck: "If that's the case, then you three will now be partners for this project."

Y/N & Cardin: "WHAT!?"

The two guys quickly look at each other before turning their backs on one another.

Y/N & Cardin: "Hmph!"

Y/N: "Sir, I don't to be rude, but this is a bad idea for many reasons."

Cardin: "Why should I be pair off with them, especially this punk. Who knows what he'll do?"

Y/N: "What the hell does that mean?!"

They stare daggers at each other, almost growling with Velvet being unsure what to do in this situation she's in. That's when Pyrrha jumps in.

Pyrrha: "Professor Oobleck, I volunteer to be Cardin and Y/N's partner. Velvet can be paired off with Ruby."

Oobleck, observing the situation in front of him, quickly responds back.

Oobleck: "Sadly, Miss Nikos, I must decline your offer. It's crucial for certain frictions to be dealt with while in training where it's safe, instead out in the field where failing to communicate with one another will lead to a death sentence."

Pyrrha: "I understand that-"

Oobleck: "If you do understand, then Miss Scarlatina, Mr. L/N, and Mr. Winchester will be partners for this project."

The history teacher then looks back at the rest of his students.

Oobleck: "You're all dismissed!"

After that, Velvet takes a deep breath before approaching her two partners, who are still glaring at each other. 

Velvet: "Uhm...guys, about our project..."

Cardin: "Tch. I don't have time for this."

As he said this, Cardin walks away, exiting the classroom with Y/N snarling after him. 

Y/N: "Good! Leave! We don't need you."

Sighing softly, Y/N turn his attention to Velvet.

Y/N: "Sorry about that. Just being near that guy makes me so... irritated."

Velvet: "I get that, but we have to work together if we want a good grade."

Y/N: "Sure. Well, lead the way."

As the two leave the classroom, Ruby, Pyrrha, and the others are worried about them being partnered with Cardin, hoping that things turn out well. 

(School's Library)

Ruby and Pyrrha are sitting at a table, researching on the topic of the Great War. In the background, Nora and Blake are doing their own research at a different table with Nora just taking a short nap.

Nora: "Zzzz..."

Blake: ("Guess I'm on my own for now...")

Soon enough, as Ruby looks for a book for research, she stumbles upon Penny. Ruby gasp in excitement only for Penny to cover her mouth and pull her aside.

Ruby: "Penny, what's wrong? Where have you been?"

Penny responds in a whispering voice.

Penny: "Remember that day when those two soldiers who took me away after I told you my 'secret'?"

Ruby: "Yeah."

Penny: "Well, I've been receiving an update to my software from my father. Something large enough to warrant me going to the CCT for a transfer."

Ruby: "Okay... and that means...?"

Penny: "It means I'm allowed to attend Beacon as an Atlas student."

Ruby was about to cheer in excitement before Penny continues.

Penny: "I'm also told again to not interact with you or your team."

Ruby's excitement goes down for a moment before taking Penny to her table.

Ruby: "Pyrrha, you know Penny..."

Penny: "Hello, Pyrrha Nikos."

Pyrrha: "Oh, nice to see you again, Penny."

The two girls hit it off as they talk while Ruby goes to find some books for their paper. Once Ruby does find them, she brings them over to her table as Pyrrha look at these books in confusion.

Pyrrha: "Uhm, Ruby?"

Ruby: "Yeah?"

Pyrrha: "Some of these are children's storybooks."

Ruby: "But they also talk about the events of the war into more digestible bites for kids."

Penny: "Really?"

Ruby: "Hehe. Yeah, I also love this young adult adaptation of one of the war's battles."

Pyrrha: "Which one?"

Ruby shows the two girls the book she's referring to.

Ruby: "The Siege of Grimrock. Oh! Just the name of it sounds so cool!"

The three girls discussed the value of children's stories.

Penny: "What's your favorite fairytale, Pyrrha?"

Pyrrha: "Oh, it's 'The Tale of the Four Maidens.' I remember my parents reading it to me as a child before bedtime."

Penny: "Wow, that's my favorite as well. My father would read to me when I was new A-a kid! When I was a young kid."

Pyrrha wonder why she fumble her words like that until someone call out Penny's name. 

Y/N: "Penny?"

At the corner of Ruby's eye, she's spot Y/N, searching through the shelves for something before his eyes are drawn to them.

Ruby: "Hey Y/N."

Y/N: "Oh, hey girls. Nice to see you again, Penny."

As Pyrrha wave hello, Penny stare at him with deadpan expression for a second before shaking it off and giving him a smile.

Penny: "So, nice to meet you again, Y/N."

Y/N: "So, what's bring you here?"

Ruby: "Penny here is now able to attend Beacon as an Atlas student."

Y/N: "Wow. Good for you. Even though we don't interact as much but, I hope we can get along."

Penny stare at him while, still continuing to smile at him.

Penny: "Likewise."

Pyrrha: "I'm guessing you're here to get a book for your project with Velvet?"

Y/N: "Yeah, I was planning to ask Blake for help, but..."

All eyes fall on Blake as she's trying to research while the fast-moving Nora keeps switching from book to book to use for their project, either because it's boring or it's too much to read.

Pyrrha: "I see."

Y/N: "Yeah."

Penny: "Would you like for me to help you with your project?"

Y/N: "For real?"

Penny: "Mm-hm. So far, I have already examined 825 books in this library and I..."

She slowly stops her speaking upon seeing Y/N and Pyrrha's bewildered expressions and Ruby subtly gesturing her to say something more casual. 

Penny: "I mean, I read a lot of books. So, I'm sure I can help you out." 

Y/N: "Uh-huh... thanks." 

With a cheerful smile, Penny does a little salute to him. 

Penny: "No problem."

Before they can discuss further, a voice speaks up. 

Ciel: "Penny. What are you doing here?"

They turn around to see a well-dressed girl, standing before them.

Penny: Oh, hi Ciel."

Ciel look at the two girls she is with, waving at her awkwardly. She then looks at Y/N with her eyes narrowed.

Y/N: "Ahh... hello? Are you an Atlas student as well?"

Ciel grabs Penny by the arm, much to her friends' surprise.

Ciel: "Sorry, but Penny has some schoolwork to do."

She then drags Penny off as best she can, considering her mechanical nature. Ciel leans in on Penny, whispering.

Ciel: "I told you already. You're not supposed to be associating with security risks."

Penny: "But Ciel, Ruby's harmless. Her team as well."

Despite that, Ciel keeps dragging her off.

Ciel: "Take it up with General Ironwood when you see him next." 

As the two Atlas students leave the library, Y/N, Ruby, and Pyrrha share a look with one another before Y/N speaks up.

Y/N: "That was... off."

Pyrrha: "I hope Penny isn't in any sort of trouble."

In response, Ruby just shrugs it off.

Ruby: "Pft, I'm sure she'll be fine... I guess."

Y/N: "Well, I found my book to use so, I'll see you girls later."

As Y/N left the library, the two girls stare after him, wave goodbye to him as they focus on their own research. After dozens of minutes of researching, Ruby and Pyrrha head out of the library along with Blake and Nora, who seem to be done for the day. As the four of them walk through the hall, they catch sight of Velvet, Y/N, and Cardin, in an argument with the two boys being more furious at one another.

Cardin: "I can't believe I have to work on a project with some critter and a punk that almost try to kill me."

Y/N: "Oh, quit exaggerating. You have aura. A little bonk on the head isn't enough to hurt someone badly."

Cardin: "Tch. Whatever."

Y/N: "Why you little-"

Velvet extends an arm to stop an irritated Y/N as she continues to look at the bully with a serious expression.

Velvet: "Look Cardin, I'm also frustrated. Because unlike us, you're not pulling your own weight on this project."

In response to this, Cardin turn his back on them as he continues.

Cardin: "Hah, the only reason you Faunus have rights because Vale's king went delirious in his old age and grant it to you for who knows why."

Velvet steps in, still unwavering.

Velvet: "That's wrong. The king was an inspiration and wanted to do justice for everyone, including the Faunus."

Y/N smirk as he replies to Cardin's remark.

Y/N: "Heh, sounds to me that someone is a bit biased."

Cardin: 'You're one to talk, Faunus lover!"

Y/N: "S-Shut-up, small-time noble!"

Cardin: "Huh?!"

Velvet sighs as she watches her partners continue to stare daggers at one another, daring each other to make the first hit. This is when Ruby and Pyrrha step in into the conversation with Nora and Blake behind them. This of course gets their attentions.

Y/N: "Oh hey girls."

Cardin: "The hell do you guys want?"

Ruby: "Well, I want to make a suggestion..."

Y/N turn his attention to Ruby, while Cardin only glance at her.

Ruby: "How about you do your research separately and see who comes out the closest to the truth."

Y/N: "That doesn't sound... like a bad idea."

Cardin actually does turn his head to face Ruby as he scoffs.

Cardin: "You're such a sympathetic Faunus jockey, you know that squirt? I don't have to prove anything."

Ruby was annoyed by Cardin's remark while Y/N chimes because of it.

Y/N: "What? You scare that you might be wrong about the king?"

Cardin: "Please, it's 100% fact that Vale's king was delusional."

Velvet steps in.

Velvet: "I accept these terms, Ruby."

Cardin: "Huh?"

Ruby: "Okay. The focus of your paper will be about the King of Vale as both the hero of Vytal and as the man who ended the oppression of the Faunus. You guys will take opposing directions."

The red-hooded girl looks at Velvet.

Ruby: "Velvet, you would cover it from the perspective that the king was in his right mind and did the right thing."

Ruby then looks at Cardin, with a more serious look.

Ruby: "Cardin, you cover it from the angle of the king had lost his mind."

Cardin crosses his arms, still very angry over this whole thing.

Cardin: "Fine. I'm only doing this just to prove you all wrong."

Y/N: "Pft, good luck with that."

Angry and bitter, Cardin leaves, storming off to his dorm room. Blake and Nora, who watch the whole scene unfold, approach the sighing Velvet.

Blake: "You must have it rough, Velvet."

Nora: "I still think we should break his legs."

Pyrrha: "Nora. You know we can't do that."

Y/N: ("Yeah, I bonk him in the head and that did nothing.")

Velvet: "Thanks you guys. But I'm concern about my grades. I already flunked out of Oobleck's class once."

Y/N: "If you flunk it again, you'll be held back again."

Softly, Velvet nods. Y/N stands firmly with a confident smile.

Y/N: "Well, don't worry, Velvet. I'm sure we'll be able to prove the king is not delusional and finish this project in no time."

Velvet: "Actually, Y/N..."

Y/N: "What?"

Velvet: "I was planning to research on Vale's king on my own. S-Sorry."

Pyrrha: "How come?"

Velvet: "Because I want to be the one to prove Cardin wrong about the king. So, I want to win this fair and square."

Y/N: "I see..."

Pyrrha and the rest all share a look while, Y/N just gives her a smirk as he continues.

Y/N: "Fine, if it means Cardin is wrong about this, then that's more than enough for me. But what should I do for this project?"

Velvet: "Oh, uhm..."

The bunny Faunus takes a book from her hands and flips through its page before stopping and showing it to Y/N. He examines it before speaking.

Y/N: "The final battle and what led the end of the Great War?"

Velvet: "Yep. That way, it would connect back to the king of Vale."

Y/N: "Okay, I see what you mean." 

Ruby: "So, you're fine with researching on your own, Y/N?"

Y/N nods which Velvet is pleased to hear as she slowly hands him the book, she had with her.

Y/N: "Well, I hope you come out on top, Velvet."

As he said this, he gives him a bright smile, which Velvet blushes a bit but, smiles back as well to her partner. 

Velvet: "Mm-hm. I'll do my best."

Y/N: "Glad to hear it."

Near them, Ruby and Blake are pouting a bit at seeing this, Pyrrha don't know why she feels a bit envious, while Nora is still thinking about breaking at least one of Cardin's legs.

(Somewhere in Vale)

In the streets of Vale, the Shopkeeper is re-opening the Dust shop, From Dust Till Dawn, hoping that his store won't get robbed like last time. As he climbs down the ladder, he stumbles and falls. That's when Emerald appears next to him.

Emerald: "Excuse me, sorry. I'm not really from around here."

She helps him to his feet.

Emerald: "Say, would you mind pointing me in the direction of this shop?"

Emerald takes out a piece of paper with writing on it and the Shopkeeper looks it over.

Shopkeeper: "Hmm? Mm-hmm."

Emerald walks away from the shop owner as both wave goodbye and passes Mercury at a corner.

Mercury: "I knew you were lost, Em."

Emerald: "Mercury, I will seriously pay you to shut up." 

She produces a wallet with Lien and waves it in Mercury's face, which he just smirks.

Mercury: "That's not your money."

Emerald: "But it can be yours for only 5 minutes of silence."

Mercury: "Hmmm... no deal. Wouldn't want to conceal my angelic voice."

Emerald: "Ugh, fine. 

Emerald takes the liens and tosses the wallet, turning to walk away, while Mercury stare after her.

Mercury: "Whatever, Em."

Mercury and Emerald are walking through the city, passing a cafe and some random shops.

Mercury: "So, how much farther?"

Emerald: "Just a few blocks ahead."

Mercury: "Ugh... this place is so... dull."

Emerald: "Eh, I kinda like it. Tall buildings, diverse culture..."

Mercury: "And all the nice dopey people who are easy to pickpocket."

Emerald stops, looking back at Mercury.

Emerald: "That's every city."

Mercury walks around her as he acts like a victim to her.

Mercury: "Ooh, Emerald! Master thief! Please don't take my money! I barely have enough to get by!"

Emerald just glares at him as she walks away from him.

Emerald: "Very funny, Merc."

Mercury: "Man... you're no fun today."

Mercury follows behind Emerald as they enter a shop full of books. The shop owner can be heard humming a tune. Mercury stops near the door to look at books while Emerald approaches the counter and rings a service bell.

Tuckson: "Be right there!" 

The shop owner is seen through a set of double doors carrying stacks of books as he walks backwards and out toward the counter.

Tuckson: "Welcome to "Tuckson's Book Trade", home to every book under the sun! How may I... 

Once he turns around, the word in his mouth dies down when he recognizes the two of them with Mercury holding a book.

Tuckson: "How may I help you?"

Mercury: "Just browsing." 

As he said this, Mercury shuts the book he was holding.

Emerald: "Actually, I was wondering, do you have any copies of 'The Thief and The Butcher'?"

Tuckson: "Y-Yes we do."

Emerald: "That's great!"

Tuckson: "Would you... like a copy?"

Emerald: "No, just wondering." 

Mercury closes another book as she said this.

 Emerald: "Oh, oh! What about 'Violet's Garden'?"

Mercury: "He's got it. Hardback too." 

Emerald: "Ooh, options are nice."

Mercury: "Eh, no pictures." 

Mercury closes the book before continuing.

Mercury: "Hey! Do you have any comics?"

Tuckson: "It's near the front."

Mercury: "Yes!"

Emerald: "Okay, how about 'The Enchanted Castle'?"

Tuckson recoils a bit before responding.

Tuckson: "N-No, it's out of stock... S-Sorry."

Emerald: "Oh..."

Tuckson's anxiety increases considering that he lent that book out to one of his friends for their kid. Emerald and Mercury stare at him for a moment before Emerald continues.

Emerald: "Oh, no, wait! What... about... 'Third Crusade'?"

Getting more unnerved, Tuckson begins to hesitate to respond back. 

Tuckson: "Um... I... "

Mercury and Emerald are shown to be eyeing him carefully, which he quickly notices this.

Tuckson: "I ...don't believe we carry that one."

Immediately Mercury slams another book shut.

Mercury: "Oh."

Emerald: "What was this place called again?"

Tuckson: "Tuckson's Book Trade."

Emerald: "And you're Tuckson?"

Tuckson: "T-That's right."

Emerald: "So then I take it that you're the one that came up with the catchphrase?"

Tuckson: "Yes."

Mercury: "And, what was it again?"

Tuckson: "It's 'Tuckson's Book Trade, home to every book under the sun.'"

Mercury: "Except the Third Crusade and The Enchanted Castle."

Tuckson: "I-It's just a catchphrase."

Mercury: "It's false advertising! You should be ashamed of yourself."

Emerald: "You shouldn't make a promise you can't keep, Tuckson." 

Mercury flips a light switch near the entrance causing a front window to darken the room.

Emerald: "I hear that you're planning on leaving. Moving all the way to Vacuo." 

Mercury activates another light switch and the window in the front door darken more.

Emerald: "Your brothers and sisters in the White Fang won't be happy to hear that. Especially with Adam and the Lieutenant."

Mercury activates the third and final switch, darkening the last window as he smiles creepily at Tuckson who back away a bit. 

Emerald: "And neither are we... You know who we are, don't you?"

Tuckson: "Yes."

Emerald: "And you know why we're here?"

Tuckson: "Yes."

Emerald: "So... what do you plan on doing?"

The owner quickly produces claws from his fingers.

Tuckson: "Yaargh!"

Tuckson leaps atop his counter in a threatening manner. Mercury and Emerald back up slightly. He leaps at Emerald and slashes at her, but she dodges. Tuckson looks forward and is surprised at Mercury as he raises one leg for a kick with his shotgun-greaves.

(A Few Minutes later)

Mercury and Emerald exit Tuckson's bookstore. Emerald stretches her arms overhead with Mercury holding a comic, reading it. 

Emerald: "Really?"

Mercury: "What? I like the pictures. Better than looking at a wall of text on a page."

As the two walk off from the store as Tuckson's body is left motionless on the floor of the store with a red puddle underneath him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.7K 525 18
RWBY Vol 1 & RWBY Vol 2 With no recollection of his past life, Y/N believes that he is the son of Ozpin. Following aside him, he will meet new people...
6.1K 110 11
(RWBY x Mute Male Reader, Volume 1) First book, spelling mistakes, bla bla you get it. Each volume will be a separate book cuz fuck it. Also, a (not...
61.1K 904 47
I DO NOT OWN RWBY ROOSTER TEETH OWNS RWBY THERE ARE SOME FEW SPOILERS IF YOU HAVENT WATCHED RWBY YET So this is just a fanfic for the readers who wa...
161K 1.5K 25
This is the first fanfic I have published I really like Ruby's character and I like most of the rwby series so I wanted to make an x Reader fanfic. I...