Close To You | Sam Carpenter

By wvttpxd

In which Mabel Kincaid moves to New York for college. And quickly become friends with her next door neighbor... More

Prologue - Part I
00
01
02
03
04
05
Prologue - Part II
00
01

06

1.4K 44 3
By wvttpxd

Mabel continued to take deep breaths, or at least try with her eyes closed. She was putting her thumb on her other fingers in succession trying to count in her head. She had her knees against her chest at the end of the corridor sitting on the floor.

"Mabel."

The girl immediately jumped at the voice and looked up at the person who had almost made her heart explode in her chest.

"Samantha ?"

She sat silently next to Mabel who was staring at her speechless watching her movements carefully with her eyes.

Their shoulders brushed and Sam turned to her.

"Are you okay ?" She asked softly.

"Y-yeah I'm fine. I'm sorry I lost my temper, I should have, I just-" She took a deep breath and turned to look at the wall.

Sam noticed how shaky her breathing was and frowned in concern.

"I just know it's him Samantha. I'm not crazy-" She began to breathe heavily again with tears rolling down her cheeks. "Y-You have to believe me. I know he's the one who attacked me."

"Hey hey hey-" She put her hand on her chest to prevent her from getting up. "I believe you."

She sniffled and wiped her eyes with her sleeve. "Really ?"

"Yeah." She nodded reassuringly, trying to hide her growing concern as she felt the girl's heart pound against the palm of her hand.

She hated when Mabel was sad. It made her sad too.

"You can leave me Samantha. I'll be fine." She mumbled, looking down at Sam's hand.

"Don't act like you don't care." She replied quickly with a serious tone.

Mabel sighed deeply and closed her eyes, she had heard that somewhere before.

"Don't act like you care. I know you care about it."

"This is the purpose of acting. Nobody knows what I care about or not, Sammy."

She felt her stomach drop due to her emotional downfall. A cold shiver ran through her lower back as she opened her eyes in realization.

Everything comes back to her in a deafening silence. The hospital, Gale, Dewey, her birthday. Sam Carpenter.

A drop of sweat rolled down her temple as she gulped slowly trying to process everything she had just experienced again.

Sam didn't know if she should be more worried or relieved that Mabel's heart stopped pounding almost suddenly. She slowly removed her hand and Mabel sighed again.

She remembered now how she had moved on from her crush for Kirby at the time. She had fallen in love with Sam. The real love, the real and only one that Mabel could only express for Sam and no one else.

She had a crush on Sam before she remembered all that. But now it was the end of her.

✭ ✭ ✭

Kirby passed the card and opened the front door to the shrine letting everyone in.

Tara had the idea to use the fact that the killer was going to follow them no matter what to their advantage. And Bailey after hesitate for a moment had agreed. He had insisted that they take the subway. So they did and they lost Mindy, Anika and Ethan along the way, stressing Mabel even more. She didn't want to leave them alone with that psychopath.

"I cleared the whole place before you got there." She said as she put the card in her back pocket.

She turned to the door again to draw attention to her. "So, this is the only way in and out. He steps in trought the first door, both doors locks automatically, trapping him inside. We turn it into a kill box."

"That is such a good idea." Said Mabel nodding her head.

"You said it was stupid." Chad frowned as he turned to her with his arms crossed.

Kirby turned to Mabel with raised eyebrows.

"No I didn't." She looked away nudging him.

"Weapons ?" Sam asked after rolling her eyes.

"One gun, and I hold onto it. I'm the only one with a bagde here. And that's the way it's gonna be." She said looking at the four in front of her who looked at her unconvinced.

"We're safe here." She finally affirmed, tilting her head to empathize her words.

"I'm gonna check in with Mindy. See if they're close." Sam finally said as she began to take off her jacket and head inside.

Chad and Tara following her, Mabel remained where she was, her eyes locked on where Sam was with wide eyes and flushed cheeks.

Kirby walked away silently and the other two too but in another direction.

Mabel took off her sweater and put it over Tara's on the theater seats.

She turned around and raised her eyebrows when she was on the phone. She approached slowly and could see the girl's expression change as the person spoke to her.

"What's wrong ?" She asked, putting her own phone in her pocket.

"Kirby."

"What's up with her ? She just left." She frowned in confusion and looked at where the blonde was then turned to Sam again. 

"Is that- is that a knife in you hand ? Is it safe ?" 

Sam suddenly hung up and ran for the door. She watched the padlock in panic and Mabel tilted her head to the side watching her still confused. 

The lights went out and she turned when she heard the sound of a phone coming from behind.

She saw some kind of bad version of Stab playing on the screen.

"Oh, shit." 

"I know, it's really very bad, look at this, there's not even a stab wound that seems real." She shook her head with a look of disappointment. 

"Mabel i'ts serious. Kirby is the killer." Sam says with a heavy breath.

She giggled nervously still watching the movie. "Oh yeah, and Roman Bridger is my dad."

Mabel turned back to Sam and jumped when she saw the knife close to her chest. "Oh my god drop that knife ! You almost killed me !"

"Sorry." She lowered the knife but kept it in hand making Mabel raise her eyebrows.

"Look, I'll go check on Kirby and you'll find Tara and Chad." She assured by placing her hands slowly on her shoulders. "I don't think I trust Bailey, he's the one we know the least about."

"One of the first rules is not to separate." She leaned to empathize her words as she looked Mabel straight in the eye. "You stay with me."

"You need to protect your sister-" "I need to protect you too !" She cut her off by taking her hands off her shoulders quickly.

"Samantha. We don't have time for this." She mumbled hurt how quickly she wanted to get out of her grip, trying to take a step back.

"Exactly. So you come with me, it's not debatable." She finally said taking her forearm softly and making Mabel shiver.

For a moment, she wanted to follow Sam. To drop the argument and make sure Kirby wasn't the killer next. But she could abandon her, if Kirby was in danger because of her she would blame herself forever. She had all the love for Sam, but she had this need to protect Kirby since she couldn't protect her from Charlie and Jill.

"I'm sorry." She whispered causing Sam's heart to twist in her chest. "But I can't."

"Y-you said you cared about me-" "I do. But Samantha, you're asking me to believe that Kirby is the killer. And it will never happen." She interrupts her by taking her wrist to make her let go of hers.

"I care about you, okay ?" She says more aggressively. "Don't leave, again."

Sam was so affected by Mabel emotionally that this pain was starting to become physical. Her chest felt so heavy as soon as she pulled away from her like that. She had known her hurt, full of scars, in a hospital bed, as a clingy neighbor, but all she wanted now was to be close to her. Just for what she was. Mabel. She wanted to be close to Mabel, to love her, to take care of her and all that came with it. She had tried to hate her more than once. But you can never hate for long, a person you loved and will love until your death.

"I have to. Samantha you don't understand- You can't change my mind on this." She took a deep breath and backed up again to walk away slowly. "I'm just- Be safe, please."

Sam opened her eyes wide and froze at Mabel's words. They slowly filled with tears as she watched the girl walk away. 

"Kirby ?" She walked into the place taking cautious steps.

She took another step and a sound of breaking glass was heard, she gasped in fear before continuing on her way.

A muffled sound of pain was heard, Mabel swallowed softly as she walked, her flashlight in hand.

She suddenly illuminated a body on the ground. She gasped and knelt down as she recognized Kirby. She had an open wound on her head.

"Kirby is the killer. Nonsense." She grumbled as she took out a handkerchief to wipe away the blood. 

"Hey Kirby !" she whispered-yelled shaking her slightly. "Kirby wake up please !"

The blonde woke up slowly and immediately pointed her gun at Mabel causing her to raise her hands in the air.

"Wow don't worry it's just me." She said defensively as Kirby still looked at her with doubt in her eyes.

"Y-you don't think- K-kirby I literally left Sam for you." She said desperately squinting at the gun.

She remained silent and her eyes widened as she looked behind Mabel.

"W-Watch out !" 

"You're pointing a gun at me how do I-" She got cut by a cut on her arm causing her to groan in pain.

She turned around and saw that Ghostface was going to bring his knife to her. She stopped him inches from her face with the blade threatening to stab through her nose. He slid the knife into his shoulder, and Mabel let out a hiss of pain.  

Kirby shoot Ghostface and he quickly moved away. She sighed in relief and approached Mabel.

"I'm so sorry Mabel." She says helping the girl sit down on the floor. "I'm so sorry."

She closed her eyes for a moment, feeling her ear ringing. "That's fine. That's fine."

"Are you okay ?" She said softly trying to keep the blood from coming out of her shoulder.

"Don't worry about me." She mumbled as she felt more and more dizzy.

"Mabel stay with me-"

And that was the last thing Mabel saw or heard before she passed out.

✭ ✭ ✭

"I'm more than fine now everyone." Mabel smiled at her screen where her whole family was fighting for space in front of the camera.

She was in her hospital bed, she had tubes still in her nose. And a big bandage on the shoulder and the arm. Her face was completely deflated but a scar still lingered on her forehead, luckily hidden by her bangs.

She had woken up, after being asleep for an entire day. She had learned that Sam and Tara had killed the Ghostfaces which were Ethan Quinn and Bailey. Mabel didn't fail to pull out an 'I told you so' for Ethan.

She had also been glad to know that Kirby had come to see her in her sleep.

"I hope you like barbies. Your room will become mine now." One of her sisters chuckled.

"What ? No." She scanned the screen and saw her mother's amused look. "No way."

"Dad ! Don't let her-" "Love you Belly !" They all shouted at the same time and the call hung up causing Mabel to sigh in annoyance after rolling her eyes.

A knock was heard and she turned towards the door, putting her phone on the small table next to her bed.

A head popped out and she smiled widely. "You can come in guys." 

"Glad you're alive." Beya said in a monotonous tone followed by all the others.

"Mabel !" Franckie threw herself into her arms.

Everyone else hummed and patted the tops of her head affectionately.

"Okay, she needs a rest, stop smothering her with your arms." Mariah groaned as she pulled Franckie  away from Mabel causing her to giggle.

"Hey Mariah. Missed me ?" She smiled looking up at the girl with her arms crossed

"You speak a lot for someone who got shot by her own gun." She smirked and Mabel shook her head in amusement before hugging her. 

"Oh my god Big boy guess what-" Tania interrupts the moment by taking out her phone. "You're practically famous now."

"Yeah, journalists asked us about you when we arrived." Another added with a smile, glad her teammate was okay.

"And you never gonna guess what coach did when you-" Another knock was heard at the door and everyone turned towards it. 

A small figure entered and was surprised to find a group people around Mabel.

"Huh hi ?" She says hesitantly taking a step forward a bouquet of flowers in her hands.

"Guys, this is Tara. You met her at the party, remember ?" Said Mabel waving her hand to her to come over.

"I dont remember-" "You were drunk already when she arrived." Lauryn cut Beya off making her grunt and look away.

Tara handed the bouquet of flowers to Mabel who took it with stars in her eyes.

"Thanks." She mumbled with a grin. "- do you know where's Sam ?" 

"Well she was supposed to be there soon, she went to see Gale before-" She got cut off as the door opened on Sam. Mabel immediately felt her cheeks heat up.

"I don't remember this one." Beya whispered as she looked up to Lauryn.

"Me neither don't worry." Lauryn whispered back, crossing her arms the same way Beya did.

"Aren't you Samantha carpenter ? Like Billy Loomis' daughter ?" Tania asked raising an eyebrow.

"Y-yeah that's me." She answered hesitantly.

"Well we're Mabel's friends. We are also for some her teammates." She said pointing to several girls who smiled at her before waving at her.

"It's nice to meet you guys. You can call me Sam." She nodded with a smile.

"Hey guys maybe we should let Mabel rest." Frankie says turning to everyone. 

They all nodded.

"We should say a prayer first-" "Lauryn." Tania cut her with a grunt.

Beya stood on her tiptoes to hit the back of Tania's head. 

She rolled her eyes and rubbed the back of her head. "Sorry Lauryn."

"I can stood up for myself." She says leaning lower to reach Beya.

"No you can't." She responded by grabbing her forearm to take her towards the door. "Come on guys."

"Bye Mabel !" She waved at the girl.

"Take care of yourself." Franckie insisted, giving her a nice pat on the shoulder and following the two girls.

"Don't die." Mariah added as she left after glaring at Sam who swallowed hard.

"If you need anything Big boy-" She patted the top of her head again and Mabel groaned with flushed cheeks. "Call Lauryn or Frankie."

"Bye Tania." She said pushing the girl's hand away and turning her around to push her towards the door.

"Boy don't you know you can't escape me, oh darlin' 'cause you'll always be my babyyy-" She started to sing as she walked towards the door slowly but a small hand grabbed her ear causing her to hiss out in pain. "Beya stop it's hurt !"

"You can follow them if you-" "Bye mabel ! Bye Sam !" Tara stormed out of the bedroom making Mabel giggle.

Sam smiled shyly and sat down on the chair beside the bed silently.

"So..." Mabel looks down at her fingers, which she began to fidget nervously. "I'm going to spend some time with my family, get away from New York for a bit."

Sidney and Mark had already struggled to let go of their very first child. Their eldest, now they really needed to be reassured. And to be honest Mabel missed her family, maybe not the twins very much. But still a little.

"Oh that's-" Sam looked away too, clutching lightly the letter she had pulled out of her pocket. "Great."

"I just wanted you to know-" She mumbled softly. "But I'm not going to stay that long, just enough time to heal and be able to start playing sports again."

"Yeah that's probably for the better." She nodded, chewing the inside of her cheek.

"Did you-" She exhaled embarrassed with her cheeks still flushed. "Sorry I mean, are you okay ?" 

"I should be the one asking you that." She said pointing with her eyes to her shoulder. "How are you ?"

"I'm fine." She shrugged trying not to wince at the pain. "Just a little tired."

"And when are you leaving exactly ?" Sam asked to quickly change the subject back to the fact that Mabel was leaving.

"In three or four days. Not more than a week." She responded by raising her head.

Sam turned and seeing that Mabel was already looking at her, avoided her gaze.

"I-I have something you-" "Bee oh my god !" Mindy yelled as she stormed into the room.

"Mindy !" She squealed happily as she saw the girl arrive.

"You'll never guess who I brought with me !" She said excitedly grabbing someone's shoulder."

Do you remember that frat party where Anika and she made fun of Mabel for being rejected so badly ? The girl in question was now standing next to Mindy awkwardly.

Mabel turned pale and opened her eyes wide. "Camila."

Sam frowned and watched the two back and forth with her eyes.

"Hey Mabel." She smiled as she approached the bed and Mindy gave Mabel a thumbs up from behind her.

"Do you still want to see me ?" She swallowed hard. "Even after-"

"Even after I rejected you ?" She chuckled lightly as she ran her hand over her arm. "Yeah sorry, it was kinda rough how I did it."

So Mabel like someone ?

Sam clenched her fist and clenched her jaw at the sight of the girl being so touchy with Mabel.

"We should let those two catch up." Mindy said grabbing her shoulder. "Are you coming ? We'll see Anika."

"Yeah sure." She whispered as she walked out of the room quickly.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.2K 148 17
A SCREAM STORY SLOW UPDATES tara carpenter x dakota pierce "She's gonna kill me She has gotta a gun behind her back And I gotta feeling That I'm g...
28.6K 885 48
[eng] Amber Freeman, a girl known to everyone for her bitter nature, is graduating from high school this year. She has never been a diligent student...
16.2K 624 8
samantha carpenter ran away from her home of woodsboro after finding out a deep secret. in the process she left her one true love & little sister. wh...
4.7K 262 9
The aftermath of Amber's betrayal brings chaos, hurt, and healing. With gradation around the corner can the gang and Y/n find peace before they leave...