Counter Lotus

By JadedViolet

Josephine Hale moved across the country to live with her older sister in Oregon. She has a new sense of freed... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32

Chapter 26

38 1 2
By JadedViolet

Chapter 26

Between two bodyguards and feeling safe in my house, I finally started to relax. I started to settle into this new life. Though I received a pretty paycheck, I didn't need to keep working every single day to distract myself. I was adjusting and adapting each day to my new world around me. The shellshock was slowly wearing off. What was left was... well, believe it or not, amazement. Beyond my scary personal situation, I had admiration for this new reality.

I wouldn't admit it to Peter, but I took his hypocritical wise words to heart. People, including myself, wasted too much time worrying. Much of my life, I held back, I bit my tongue, and instinctively put others first. That was something I was already aware of; that was why I took the leap to move here. But I never calculated the time aspect of it. I didn't realize how much time I wasted being unhappy. So him reminding me of that, that my life was too short, allowed me to refocus my efforts and attention on myself.

That's why I started taking every chance I could. I embraced my old life and this new one. I started going for walks and runs again, and allowed it to become part of my routine. I could go to work, come home, and be content with both. I could enjoy summer despite the huge threat of demons. Was I still paranoid? You better believe it! My head still whipped around at the sound of a twig snapping. That corner in my room still caught my eye. But I couldn't let it stop me. Having Jamie around, as protection and my personal fun-guide, also helped dim any worries.

"So, where do you think our destination is today?" Strong arm steady on the wheel as he drove, his wispy wavy hair blew around from his cracked window.

"I don't know," I smiled. "You are headed towards town, so maybe the grocery store?"

He gave a pitiful scoff. "That is your idea of a fun time, Jos?"

"It's my idea of a necessity if I'm not going to starve, Jamie," I threw dramatically back.

"Oh my Lanta. Let me guess. Pop-tarts?"

I laughed at his correct guess. "Listen, the last time I bought pop-tarts, I made the mistake of being adventurous and trying wild berry. Then, before I could run to the store, Liz went. And she always buys the lowest grade of pop-tarts."

"Which is what?"

"Fucking blueberry," I frowned. "I hate blueberry anything, but she keeps buying them."

"You haven't corrected her?" he chuckled.

"I'm five boxes of blueberry too deep. I can't say anything now!"

"You're right. There's no going back," he laughed.

"They're all stashed under my bed if you want any. Otherwise, I might leave Peter another gift." Not gonna lie, I think it would be hilarious.

"That's my vote. Drop off more shit you don't want on his porch," he laughed. "Yes though, we can stop at the store, pop-tart psycho. Any other guesses of where I'm taking you first though?"

I smiled in anticipation. "I have no idea. The junk yard?"

We didn't go to the junk yard. However, it was just as creative (and required some rule-bending for Jamie to have his way).

He took me to an outdoor sports complex. It was located in the 'college town' Tilla Rook. There was golf, a driving range, tennis, and so much more. However, there was a storm rolling in, so the complex shut down all their activities just as we arrived. That's why most people were leaving as we entered the store building. You know. Because that's what normal people do when things get closed down. Do you think that deterred Jamie though? Especially when he was determined to use the batting cages?

While at the counter inside, he convinced the woman in charge to 'let us slide' just this once. The woman had to be my mother's age, but Jamie was a good-looking man with charm. It took a remarkable amount of small talk, flirting, and compliments from him to make it happen. The guy actually talked her into allowing us through... after the place delayed all activities and everyone left.

I was honestly impressed. "You are absolutely crazy," I said after we were given clearance to go outside. The wind flung my hair around as flakes of light rain began.

"I think you mean everyone is crazy about me."

I laughed, shaking my head. We walked to the large, enclosed area. It was framed by chain-link and had several doors to a few empty batting stations. Though I was athletic, I've never been to a batting cage. Hell, I had no idea if I'd be able to hit the ball. That didn't stop me from being boastful as we neared the rack of helmets and bats.

"What happens if it really starts to downpour though? Or there is lightning?"

"We'll stop for lightning. I didn't realize you were that much of a wuss though."

"Pft. I'm no wuss. I'm about to out preform your ass," I said, putting on my helmet. "Don't feel too intimated after seeing how good I do."

Over the thundering sky, he let out a laugh. "Then you're first, Ms. Pro."

He escorted me into the batter's box. From where he stood to the side, he pressed a button and turned on the whirling machine several yards across from us. Guess that was my cue. I stood and faced the rectangular outline on the cement. This would be interesting.

"Rule one: don't be stupid and don't let the ball hit you in the face when it comes flying at you," he said from behind me.

"What a nice rule," I smiled, raising my bat, waiting for the oncoming ball.

"Rule two: hold the bat as if you've done this before, Jos."

"Bitch, I have my own special bat-holding techniques," I smirked.

Then, when the ball shot out towards us... I didn't expect it. Not sure what I expected, but my dumbass didn't even swing. It flew past me, hit the fencing behind us, and rolled down the cement. Yup. This was how it was going to go, everyone. I could feel Jamie's humored eyes on my back.

I bit the inside of my flushing cheek, fully absorbing that embarrassing first impression I made as a batter. "Sorry, just wanted to gage it, study it, become one with it," I said proudly.

"Well, that must mean you're ready to show it whose boss. Ain't that right, killer?"

"You know it," I said with total confidence that I didn't have.

With the rain slightly picking up, it soaked into my clothes and clung to my arms. I was still able to see and focus on the ball launcher. Then, one flew out. This time, I was ready for it. I hit it hard and with a good grip. You hear me? I hit it hard and was holding it tight, so why the fuck did it not go further? I grinned and started laughing at myself – and laughed harder at his expected reaction.

"What the fuck was that?" he cracked up from behind me.

"Hey, I got some air on it," I defended.

I heard him press the button and the whirling belt that launched the balls stopped. Taking my helmet off, I turned to him. "What the hell? My ass was just warming up."

"I can't handle you embarrassing yourself like this." He stepped behind me – and yes, he did that thing you all know about and have seen in those cutesy movies. He was just being a nice guy, but I couldn't help myself. Especially when we shared a knowing and amused grin before he stepped behind me.

"You should have used this move on your 50-year-old crush inside," I said jokingly as he placed his hands on my wrists from behind.

"Well, she wasn't holding a bat, so I saved this move just for you."

"You know, Jamie, you can just ask me on a date," I teased back with a grin.

"Nope. Wise gents are more subtle and get the girl to try a sport she's not used to."

"Just so you have a perfect excuse to get nice and cozy with her, huh?"

"That's how it's done," he said, pressing up close behind me, almost forcefully to exaggerate his point. It left us both laughing as he repositioned my hold on the bat and raised my back elbow up. "It's a smooth and classic move for men. Because as I help you look like less of an idiot, you get to feel how nice it is in my arms. Plus, we are able to exchange scents since we are close enough," he said close to my ear, his voice low and absurdly sensual. "I now know you put deodorant on."

"Ah. Makes sense. You don't want to get a girl into bed before checking her deodorant status," I nodded in understanding, grinning at how fun, stupid, and hilarious he was.

"Exactly. Plus, with her in my arms like this, it makes her want to be close."

"Yeah? How many times has this tactic worked for you, huh?"

"Usually 50/50."

"I think that's pretty good for you. Might be 40/60 now though," I joked.

"Ouch," he snorted.

I won't lie, guys. While we were joking ironically about this being a 'move' for men, I didn't mind it. Being this close to him upped my awareness of him. His stumble brushed my head just slightly and his chest was like a warm wall against my back. For as tall as I was, he loomed over my frame and I could smell his spicy cologne too. While we were just joking around, I admit he passed the scent test.

Cracking up laughing, he shook his head. "Anyway, keep your elbow up. Tighten your grip when you hit the ball." Then, he nudged my legs and feet. "Widen your stance."

Despite our joking, those tips really did help. Once I resumed batting, I smacked a few that went further than before. Every time I hit one, my cheerleader clapped obnoxiously behind me. To say the least, I did damn good! So naturally, when it was his turn, I wanted to offer him some professional advice. When he grabbed a bat and headed towards the batting box (with no helmet like a dumbass), I moved behind him.

"Now it's my turn to give you a few pointers." Unable to hold back a laugh, I rested my cheek against his back and clumsily reached around to position his arms. "Alright. Raise that elbow!"

He shook with laughter. "Can you even see around me?"

"Nope. Now, get a good stance." I smacked the side of his shoe with mine. "Spread them legs, whore," I laughed.

As the rain picked up into a downpour, we both erupted in fits of laughter. His huge white smile and laugh was like music with the rain. When our hard laughter died down, it was evident the storm heightened. We were soaked, hair flattened, and the wind picked up. Now, I couldn't see anything but a haze. I could barely even see the ball launcher. I figured we would have to call it a day. However, after all our smack talk, Jamie... was still determined.

"Jamie, you won't be able to see," I said over the pouring rain.

"Sure I will." With a smug smile, he pressed the button and got in position.

"You aren't going to impress me if that's your goal."

"It's not my goal, but you will still be impressed," he teased, studying the barely visible ball launcher.

I would have been nervous for him if I didn't want him to eat his words. "Have fun being blind and getting socked in the face." Having hung up my equipment, I grabbed the fencing and watched him through it.

A pop reached the air, signifying the ball was speeding towards him. I didn't see it right away. I didn't see it until he swung and it contacted his bat. Instantly, he smacked the ball with a loud crack. The ball was there one second, and the next, it slammed into the upper corner of the cage. Then it darted to the ground from its impact and speed. Whoa. I blinked from the blurring motion. That was so fast. Abnormally fast!

My breath caught. Hooking my fingers against the fence, I stared in wonder as he smacked another. His arms propelling the swing were unnaturally fast. Not invisible fast, but a few seconds faster than physically humanly possible. That speed transitioned to the darting ball. I didn't even see it, but could hear it clash against the chain-link in the back. The ball after that one: he smacked it so hard, it hit a pole and noticeably dented the entire thing. Which says a lot since it was hard for me to see to begin with!

Blinking my rain-soaked lashes, I slowly smile. I watched him blindly hit every ball with unnatural might. He was so strong, so fast, and clearly had advanced vision. Jamie could see it coming, allowing him to ready his position. And when he would slug each ball... the muscles in his arms, how they blurred, it captured me. It grounded realty for me. Jamie was such a particular, free-spirited, and fun man. It was hard to remember he was only half man until proof like this offered a reminder.

Moments like this drove home the truth. Divine beings were now in my life. Introduced to this world... it was beautiful beyond the drama. It made everything feel small. My home life, work, and college were such small problems. They were important, but the world was bigger and had a different shine to it.

When he finished, he turned to me. "You seem... awfully impressed," he joked, exiting the cage.

"I'm not," I said, but couldn't hide my awe or gleaming grin. "I'm not at all."

"Then you probably should pick up your jaw. You dropped it like five minutes ago."

Despite rolling my eyes, I still couldn't hide my wonderment. He also couldn't hide how my reaction put a little pep into his step. He loved that I saw his speed and was stunned. Then again, it's not like Jamie could show his half-angel side to just anyone. I would be happy to impress someone with my natural abilities too. So I couldn't blame him.

Especially when I learned how rare it was for anyone to be impressed by him. Not just because he had to keep his abilities and true nature a secret. For those that did know about him, the few people that knew of his natural abilities... I would come to learn they were anything but impressed and pleased by him.

***

We were sitting in Jamie's truck in the parking lot of the small grocery store. The evening sun shined through the back window, lighting up the mess of plastic from the pop-tarts we consumed. They were the hot fudge sundae flavor – the most superior of all pop-tarts.

Perched in the driver's seat, Jamie was mowing down a pastry. I couldn't help but steal glances to him. He was such a unique person, so different, and his personality made him a mystery. I couldn't imagine his life, how different it was, and yet he still had such a warm spirit. It was almost inspiring.

Studying him, I chuckled. "I can't imagine being you."

"What do you mean?" he asked after swallowing.

"You are just so grounded and fun. You don't seem isolated from the world, you're selfless, you don't act superior. You're willing to spend time with me while protecting me." Recalling his unnatural speed, I scoffed. "You just seem more human than most people and it's hard to remember you aren't. Like it was insane seeing how fast and strong you are."

"I'm flattered to hear that," he said with a hint of a flush. With a smirk, he put on an overly seductive expression. "By the way, I am fast when it comes to everything."

I snorted and stifled a laugh. "Yeah? So you finish things unnaturally fast too? Jamie, I'm not sure if that's something to brag about."

Realizing his words, he scrambled to defend himself. "Wait, no. No, I mean— So, I am faster at certain things. Not everything. Listen, I know how to edge, Jos. Just ask all the women I've been with."

"I don't think it's possible to talk to imaginary friends," I laughed.

"Only a few are imaginary," he said, putting his wrapper in a bag as trash.

Beyond our joking, I really couldn't get over how free-spirited he was. Why was that so compelling to me? Maybe just because he seemed so human like I said. Or maybe for how different he was from his angel father (and yes, the 'father' thing was still weird. Jamie wasn't bitter, miserable, or a blunt asshole. However, they had one thing in common.

A reoccurring question crossed my mind, but I needed to be careful. While Peter and Jamie were opposites, they guarded certain topics like they were sacred objects. Jamie had been vague about his past. Peter even more so. When I asked him about Famine the other night, all Peter did was verify a lot had happened between them. Would Jamie give me the same non-answer? I wanted to open that door. I wanted to know more about them. I wanted to know why they were cautious and sensitive about their past.

"I don't mean to sound weird. But what do you think of Famine?"

Jamie's lips to twisted. Clearly, they were both on the same disgusted page. "Why?"

"Just curious."

"Well, he's not worth being curious about. I would rather endure 10 days of nonstop diarrhea than see his face for two seconds."

"Wow. You guys really hate him." Why though? Why the sourness? Yes, he worked for Hell and was their competition, but it felt so personal.

"He definitely made it easy to hate him. Peter loathes him even more than I do though. On a level I can't even relate to." A tinge of sadness entered his face. He looked out the windshield to the mostly empty parking lot in a daze.

"It seems... extremely personal for you both," I said cautiously.

"Yet... business is business," he mumbled sarcastically. This was a sensitive subject, but unlike his father, talking about it wasn't off the table. His eyes found mine with a different age. "Do you know anything about what happened?"

I swallowed. "No."

Taking a deep breath, he shifted his body to face me more. "Remember... what I shared with you about my mother?"

Very little. Jamie shared next to nothing about himself before. However, he did share recently that his mother and Peter's wife was human. I had a feeling she was a source of a lot of heartache. So this... was a big moment.

Clearing my throat, I evened my breath. "You said... she's been gone for a long time?"

"Yes. My mother...." There was that age again. A maturity that was set deep in his face. "After I was born, my mother made a deal with Famine. Might as well say she made a deal with the devil. That deal... ruined our family even if the intent was to save it."

His words spiked my heartrate. Shifting to face him, I tucked a leg under myself against the truck seat. Gluing his gaze to the dash, he wore a haunted expression and was hesitant to continue. I had a feeling it was because this story didn't have a good ending. After all, his mother – Peter's wife – was still absent and a complete mystery to me for a reason.

"She...." With a sharp breath, Jamie's square wiry jaw tensed. "I... I was only four the last time I saw her. There's not much I remember about her, but... I do remember she was beautiful and strong. Growing up, my dad always told me stories about her, write down these wonderful things about her, just for me. Just so I wouldn't forget her. And you know, I can't imagine... how painful that was for him. It's difficult for him to even talk about her now. But he did everything he could to make sure I knew how fearless and amazing she was."

I pursed my lips. "It sounds like she was really loved," I offered softly.

Nodding, he smiled sadly. "Peter feels it's only Famine's fault that she's gone. But it's my fault as well. I'm the reason she had to make that deal in the first place."

Between Jamie's long and painful pauses, my mind was zooming to all potential possibilities. What deal did she make? Her motives were good, yet it was Jamie's fault that she was gone? Did the deal have to do with him?

"What happened? What was the deal?"

"I was born with a tainted soul. I was born with a soul that was already bound for Hell. So, she saved my soul... by selling hers."

My eyes widened. The flood gates in my mind busted open. What the fuck? She gave up her soul to save his? There were so many more questions and angles to tackle. So much more depth and mystery to both of them.

However, all these questions were put on hold. All shocking doors he just opened... were suddenly shut.

The store parking lot was sparse. We were parked in the back of the lot and there was maybe three other cars on the other side of the lot. Which meant that the truck that suddenly pulled next to us... was likely not a coincidence. Especially when it screeched to a stop directly outside Jamie's driver's side door.

Under the orange-tinted sky, the truck stopped next to us with intent, causing this vulnerable moment to turn into a panicked one. What was going on? Sitting up straighter with confusion, I looked beyond him to the truck. I was suddenly on edge – and with good reason.

The invasive red truck doors slammed shut. Two women and a man got out. My wide eyes darted to Jamie. Who were they? Did he know them? Alarm bells rang louder in my head when my eyes darted to him. He definitely seemed to know them. Not in a good way either.

Jamie grabbed my arm and looked into my eyes. "Jos, everything is going to be fine. Listen to me: you go straight home – and don't worry about me. Just let me go, don't cause any problems, I promise I'm going to be fine. I'll be fine," he belted out, grabbing the truck handle.

However, before he could do it himself, someone swung open his door and violently dragged him out.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.7K 1.1K 63
ONC 2023 Shortlist @YARomance Undiscovered Book of the Month (January 2024) Featured on Wattpad's HighFantasy, StoriesUndiscovered (May 2023), Dange...
83K 9.6K 77
A pair of siblings on a dangerous journey. A vicious spirit quickly drawing near. A bedtime story filled with peril and magic, loss and self discover...
1.3K 147 59
After a tragic accident, Ash tries to move on with his life and start again in a new city. However, when he opens up the contents of a mysterious par...
4.1K 131 22
It seemed like Jasmonica Roth and her family could never get a break. From the time she was little, she always remembered the things that haunted her...