Always, Tulip

By Maureentab

~complete~ But what would happen when a military captain who barely talks meets an overly joyous girl who wor... More

▫️Preface
▫️One
▫️Two
▫️Three
▫️Four
▫️Five
▫️Six
▫️Seven
▫️Eight
▫️Nine
▫️Ten
▫️Eleven
▫️Twelve
▫️Thirteen
▫️Fourteen
▫️Fifteen
▫️ Sixteen
▫️ Seventeen
▫️ Eighteen
▫️ Nineteen
▫️Twenty
▫️Twenty-one
▫️ Twenty-three
▫️Twenty-four
▫️Twenty-five
▫️Twenty-six
▫️ Twenty-seven
▫️Twenty-eight
▫️Twenty-nine
▫️Thirty
▫️ Thirty-one
▫️Thirty-two
▫️ Thirty-three
▫️Thirty-four
▫️ Thirty-five
▫️ Thirty-six
▫️ Thirty-seven
▫️Thirty-eight
▫️Thirty-nine
▫️Forty
▫️ Forty-one
▫️Forty-two
Extra : proposal
▫️Forty-three
▫️Forty-four
▫️ Epilogue
Author's note
🔸Bonus | 1
🔹Bonus | 2
🔸Bonus | 3

▫️Twenty-two

18.1K 512 82
By Maureentab

Ginelle's pov

"When is Mayella going to come?" Dalton tugged my arm for the eighth time this afternoon after occasionally checking the gate in vain. My reply remained the same though he continued to ask.

"She'll be here soon," I assured him after checking my phone. I had send our current address to Grey some hours ago and he had affirmed that they would be attending Dalton's birthday party.

So far his classmates had arrived but I could see that Dalton was still not content. I dialled Grey's number as I walked further away from the lawn where the children were playing.

Leila and Louis just came in then and I waved as I pressed the phone to my right ear. They moved over to join Jo who was now helping Lora set everything up.

"Hello Grey," I greeted as soon as the call went through. My voice didn't come out as firm as I had intended it to. Instead, it was breathless and squeaky.

"Tulip," I pressed my lips together to suppress a smile. He hadn't even said anything yet I was already grinning. At least there wasn't anyone around to see me.

"You're still coming?" I hesitantly asked picking out a leaf from a lowly hanging branch. He could probably be busy with work though my body deflated in relief when hummed deeply.

"Everything's fine?" He cleared his throat before asking and I knew he wasn't typically asking about the present. During the week, Grey had constantly checked on me and it was endearing how he was worried over such a simple matter.

I was used to how unbearable stomach cramps were by now.

"Yes, I'm okay now." He breathed out and before we could talk further, Jo called me from the back. He pointed towards the kids who had began running up and down.

"Who's that?" Grey asked just as I nodded at Jo. It wasn't easy to have children settled easily so we'd have to start the party soon. The tenseness of Grey's tone brought my attention back to him.

"Jordan, you've met him." He didn't acknowledge my words so I continued. "He works at Lora's bookstore too." The line went quiet but I didn't give it much thought.

The kids had began to tap on the table as if they were playing a drum so I quickly ended the call. "We shall talk soon?" The sound of traffic could be heard on his side so I knew he was on the way.

"Yeah, talk soon." There seemed to be an underlying message in his words though I chose to deal with that later. I rushed towards Dalton who was talking to a blonde boy.

"Is Maya really coming?" The boy who Dal introduced as Jace asked and I smiled to myself. Someone had bragged to his friends about their new friend.

"Yes, she's almost here." I guided them towards their seats alongside with everyone else. Leila and I helped the kids into their seats as Louis, Jordan and Lora brought everything else to the table.

"Let's begin now," Lora smiles at us all after introducing herself and the kids clap excitedly. Most of them are eyeing the large cake that stays at the center of the large round table.

"Wait!" Dalton rushed out of his seat once he heard voices on the opposite side of the house. Nobody stopped him when we saw the familiar approaching figures.

Mayella, Enzo and Grey.

Dalton races towards Mayella and wraps his arms around her shoulder. I awe at them for a moment before my eyes fleet to the men behind them, more specifically to the one on the left.

The man with striking grey eyes.

We lock eyes over the distance and I blush profusely once I see a small smile play over his lips. Our moment is however cut short when Louis speaks, "Which one is he?"

His head is inclined towards Leila and I seem to remember that Louis had never actually seen Grey, just stories of him from us. Leila whispers to him and I think Louis nods while staring ahead.

"This is my friend, Maya." Dalton captures our attention once again as he looks smugly at his friends. One of his hands are now wrapped around her shoulder. 

Mayella has her hair down today, she has a pretty pink dress on paired with some cream colored shoes and a small pink purse over her shoulder. I can understand why all the kids stare at her.

Her eyes beam when spots me and I excitedly wave. She smiles at Jordan, Leila and I as Dalton helps her into the chair next to hi. I watch as Grey talks to Lora who takes the bag in his hands.

She seems excited as she greets Enzo too and I smile to myself. I was happy that they was getting along with everyone. Lora ushers them to their seats which happen to be opposite us.

Louis then leads us in singing the happy birthday song which everyone joins in as we clap hands. In the midst of it all, I notice Mike slip in and make a beeline to his wife.

Dalton doesn't notice his father but I'm glad that he was able to make it. We all continue chant happy birthday while looking at the cake before us.

There are nine candles on it and the words 'Happy birthday Dalton' engraved at the center. We all wait for Dal to blow the candles out but he seems to hesitate at first until he declares.

"Let's blow the candles together Maya," Leila squeals beside me and I give her the 'I know right' look. My smile broadens as they lean down and do it together. I watch the smile grow on everyone's face.

What a cute sight!

My eyes turn to Grey who has an equally genuine smile on. He seems to feel my stare because he looks my way and somehow his smile widens. I shyly hold his eyes and smile back till I notice Enzo gape at Grey beside him.

Grey who doesn't seem to notice motions me to go to him with his index finger. Enzo turns to his line of sight and tilts his head down once he sees me. He was so similar to Grey, I thought as I nodded back.

As Lora cuts the cake to share with everyone, I begin to take slow steps towards Grey. Jordan goes over to help her alongside Leila who helps prepare the juice.

"Hi," I glance at Grey's side profile as I stand beside him. He turns away from Enzo who was saying something and fully looks at me. He's dressed casually, a black t-shirt and some blue jeans.

He's attractive nonetheless.

"Sweetheart," he cups my right jaw, his eyes light and I shyly look around us. No one's watching us though as everyone seems to enjoy the cake and drinks being served.

"I'm so happy you could come," I say while staring into his eyes. They always mesmerized and hypnotized me at the same time. I get lost in them for a moment until I hear him say.

"I am too," he inclines his head closer to mine so that we are at eye level. He softly looks at my face, grazing his thumb over my jaw where it had been resting as a breeze blows by us.

Our noses brush against each other and I bite back a smile. His eyes wander to my lips then to my eyes and back. I release my lower lip and a strangled breath leaves him as he shuffles his feet.

He closes his eyes and leans his forehead against mine as if to calm himself down. I move my thumb to his eyebrows that are furrowed and his eyes blink open as I do so.

His hot mint breath fans over my face that heats up and I hear Grey mumble something along the lines 'so cute' as he stares at my no doubt flushed cheeks.

"Aah, love birds." I quickly drop my hand and pull away to Reece who suddenly appears and pretends to cover his eyes from us. He slowly turns away and walks over to Enzo.

Leila comes my way with a plate of cake with Louis following behind her. She offers me the plate that I share with Grey. Louis strikes a conversation with him that Leila and I excuse ourselves.

"Jo spared the cream for you," Leila leads me to where Jordan is laughing with one of the kids. I ravish the white chunks of the icing that I so much love. It was my favorite part of any cake.

"Your hair is all over your face," Leila attempts to remove some of my hair that covers my face due to the wind. I pay no heed as I continue to nibble over some biscuits.

"Have my hair ties, I no longer need them." Jo says as he shuffles through the pocket of his trousers. His now short afro couldn't be tied down in a bun anymore.

I wipe my hands over some serviettes and just as Jo hands his hair ties to me, my extended hand gets pulled away. I frown when I see Grey already beside me. Louis is also back as he laughs with Leila.

They were already done talking?

"Use this," he pushes something into my palm though he seems to avoid my eyes. I stretch my hand out and see two hair ties, an orange one and a blue one. I look up at him and he stares ahead, his jaw ticking.

I open and close my mouth in surprise but eventually tie up my hair with them. He seems to relax after that though I try to figure out what just happened.

I look around just in time to catch Dalton and Mayella chatting excitedly with Reece and Enzo. I tug Grey's arm to get his attention then point to the front.

We walk towards them and it is when Grey speaks that I assure myself that he's okay. "Happy birthday big boy." He fist bumps his hand with Dal's and they smile at each other.

"Masha, we didn't make a wish." Mayella speaks up as if she seemed to suddenly remember. She turns in alarm to Dalton who had also forgotten.

"My wish is to marry Dalton," Mayella speaks up when we all don't say anything and her words dumbfound us even more. Reece however recovers first.

"You can't make a wish, it's not your birthday." He shakes his head in disapproval but I can see that he's holding back a smile. We all are though we stay quiet.

"Plus you are still young, you can't get married." Mayella stares at her brother as if trying to understand what he's saying. She then turns to me and her face brightens.

"Can Grey and Elle get married?" Enzo covers his startled face with a cough while Reece crackles up in laughter. I don't spare Grey a glance because of how my toes curl as if some current jolted through me.

We are all quiet but from the corner of my eye I notice Reece nod at Mayella which makes me gulp even further. Mayella then turns to Dalton unaware of the tension she has caused.

"I drew a picture of you and me playing in the park," Mayella tells Dal about the birthday gift she had brought him. Dal who appears excited goes through the pile of gifts to see hers first.

We quietly watch them walk away until Reece speaks up. "Grey didn't you tie Ella's hair?" Her hairs flies into the air as she plays with the rest. "I gave you her rubber bands earlier,"

My eyes widen when I realize what had happened earlier. The cute hair ties were Mayella's. I take a step forward to speak up but Grey holds my hand and gives me a discreet shake of his head.

I'm confused for a second though my head whips to his straight face when he speaks. "I forgot," Reece shakes his head in disbelief but doesn't push the matter further. I'm left thinking about everything to myself.

"Elle could you take some pictures of us," Reece fishes out his phone and I nod stiffly as I attempt a smile. I motion the phone towards the three men in front of me.

I take two steps backwards because they are so tall and I can't seem to capture them wholly in the picture. I ask them to move closer and I catch Grey smirk.

I'm still not over what he said, he basically lied to Reece.

I manage to take a few pictures of them before Mayella and Dalton come running to us. Dalton's friend, Jace, is with them and I take more pictures of them.

Dal asks me to join them so I hand Reece his phone. Jace's mother however calls him over so they can return home and Reece offers to take him back.

Grey takes the phone as Enzo stands by the side watching us. "Elle, I turned nine years today." Dal excitedly shares with a smile. I notice that his upper teeth that had shed have started to grow.

"I'm still five," Mayella grins beside from the squat that I am on. I softly ruffle their hair and kiss her cheek first then turn to Dalton's. We beam at each other then look ahead for the picture.

Grey stares at us over the phone that he holds haphazardly. We smile widely at him and he immediately drops his eyes as he scratches his stubble. He looks up at us again then back at the phone.

I slowly rise because my knees can't withstand the pressure any longer. I watch Enzo walk towards Grey and takes the phone after he says, "Did you even take a picture?"

Dalton and Mayella go back to watch the other kids leave with their parents. Reece joins Enzo to look at the pictures we had taken earlier.

"I brought you something," I immediately turn around when Grey speaks beside me. He takes slow steps away from the rest then takes out something from his jean pockets.

A chocolate bar

He places the bar on my hand after he stretches my palm out because I had been gaping up at him. I don't remember mentioning that I liked chocolate, especially not the specific type.

"Don't forget we had an appointment," he adds before I can even string my thoughts together. I don't catch on his words at first but then it suddenly registers.

Our night out for dinner.

✪ ✪ ✪

Seems like Mayella will have to get new hair ties, lol

Dalton and Mayella seem to have a greater chemistry, one that some of you don't even have. Myself included, haha!

You guys can also check out my IG (maureen_tab_) there's a link in my bio. I'll be posting more content soon, be sure to follow!

(⁠๑⁠˙⁠❥⁠˙⁠๑⁠)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

235K 6.4K 84
••Complete•• ||Monaro Family: book 3|| •Leo• I've been in the army since I turned 18. I'm now 24. Being a soldier is all I know. Currently, I'm hom...
19.4M 545K 55
"You just have no idea." His voice was thick with restraint. "W-what," I breathed. His gaze flicked to my lips as his thumb stroked again. The call...
229K 4.9K 49
They've known each other since they were eleven, inseparable best friends for as long as they can remember, but long distance and spotty behavior cau...
936K 27.7K 38
Nov, 09, 2020 : #1 in romance May, 14, 2021 : #1in respect May, 14, 2021 : #4 in lovestory "Don't try and act all nice to me. I know girls like you...