CHOSEN ✓ AVATAR

By AnAprilAries

In this alternative universe, Jake Sully was born on Pandora in the Omatikaya Clan under the name Tsyeyk. Aqu... More

CHARACTERS
CHAPTER 001
CHAPTER 002
CHAPTER 003
CHAPTER 004
CHAPTER 005
CHAPTER 006
CHAPTER 007
CHAPTER 008
CHAPTER 009
CHAPTER 010
CHAPTER 011
CHAPTER 012
CHAPTER 013
CHAPTER 014
CHAPTER 015
CHAPTER 017
CHAPTER 018
CHAPTER 019

CHAPTER 016

292 10 0
By AnAprilAries

CHAPTER     016
----------------------
THE PAST IS IN THE PAST

~~~~~~~~•~~~~~~~~

SOMETIME LATER, I DECIDED TO GO BACK TO HOMETREE FOR DINNER BEFORE THE ECLIPSE FELL.

I ran into Neytiri in the common area talking to some people, probably some friends, but as soon as she saw me walk in, she excused herself  and came up to me with a contagious smile that I didn't hesitate to imitate.

"How was your free day?" She asked me, walking next to me.

"It was okay," I shrugged, not really knowing what to say. "I explored the forest and practiced with the bow a little" I decided to ignore the part where I spent time with Tsyeyk, not giving it much importance.

"That is good to know, you need to become better for the hunting festival"

I was about to ask her about that festival of which I've heard almost nothing, but before I could do so, Neytiri dragged me up the spiral of the hometree to the food area where some of the Clan members were already dining and others were alone. They talked among themselves waiting for dinner.

We walked among the many Clan members, offering greetings and smiles to those who smiled or spoke to us along the way. We continued walking until we reached Mo'at, Eytukan, Tsu'tey and Tsyeyk, who were eating together and talking about who knows what, but when they saw us arrive, they turned to welcome us. Eytukan and Mo'at in a warmer way than Tsu'tey and Tsyeyk, at least to me.

"Tsahik, Olo'eyktan, Tsu'tey, Tsyeyk, Oel ngati kameie" I greeted with a small smile before sitting down and taking the clay bowl of food that Neytiri extended to me.

"AquilaChase, we have not seen you in the last three days" Eytukan commented.

"I'm sorry, Olo'eyktan. I've been busy training and working," I apologized.

"Training, huh? How is your preparation going?" His eyes fell on Neytiri, who stopped eating as soon as she felt her father's eyes on her.

"Aquila is excellent. She learns very quickly and has made a lot of progress" she commented proudly and why lie, I blushed a little when I heard the way she expressed herself about me.

"Neytiri is a very good teacher. She makes everything easier" the young Na'vi gave me a soft smile before turning her gaze to her friends, who did not share her enthusiasm.

And I get it, as much as Tsyeyk changed his attitude towards me, he made it clear that he still wasn't sure I was as different as Mo'at and Neytiri want to believe. On the other hand, Tsu'tey doesn't trust me at all.

For now.

"The credit belongs to both you and my daughter, Aquila. You both do your part to obtain these excellent results" commented Mo'at with that wise touch that her voice has.

"You're right, Tsahik" I nodded in agreement, but something in me didn't feel right that way. Because something was missing, or rather, someone. "I'm afraid it's not all thanks to Neytiri's teaching or my willingness to learn from your way of life," I admitted, a little embarrassed for not having said anything before.

"What else is it?" She asked curious.

"My boss has a lot to do with it. Maybe you know who she is, she's been on Pandora for many years. Her name is Grace Augustine" upon hearing the scientist's name, the four Na'vi around us stopped what they were doing to pay attention to the conversation.

I heard how Neytiri repeated the name in a whisper and with some nostalgia reflected on her soft face.

"Do you know her?" I played dumb and asked. It was obvious that she knew who I was talking about, the photos that Grace keeps at the camp gave me to understand that they have history.

However, for some reason they no longer speak.

"I used to..." her eyes met Tsu'tey and Tsyeyk's inevitably, all three reflecting pain, longing, and some regret.

Seeing all those emotions in them just made me want to know what had happened to get Grace banned from returning to the Clan.

"She certainly misses you" I mentioned 'absentmindedly'.

"She does?" Neytiri asked, surprised.

"Yeah. She doesn't say it, but the look in her eyes every time she listens to me talk about my training..." I stopped, letting out a slight sigh "I can see it in her eyes."

Neytiri doesn't say anything, she just listens to me, but I can see how she's lost in memories.

A brief silence formed in the group. Everyone seemed lost in their own heads, remembering past memories or events that had led to Grace's separation from the Clan.

"She also keeps pictures about you guys" that caught Neytiri, Tsu'tey and Tsyeyk's attention "She hadn't told me about what happened, but it must have been something bad for it to turn out that way" I smiled weakly, sadly.

Tsu'tey scoffed silently, earning a jab on the ribs by Tsyeyk and a slap to the back of his head by Mo'at. Shutting him.

"It is complicated. Grace was there when my sister, Sylwanin was murdered by the sky people" was what Neytiri said and that statement made my blood run cold.

I was expecting something like Grace had disrespected the Omatikaya or that the Omatikaya didn't want anything to do with the avatars or the sky people. But Neytiri's statement gave me a lot of perspective on the situation.

"We thought she could protect us from her people. She could not" Tsyeyk's voice caught me off guard.

When I turned in his direction, I found a sad gaze full of guilt and sadness fixed on the ground while his muscles were tense. There I realized that although they thought Grace was partly to blame for Sylwanin's murder, Tsyeyk and Tsu'tey also carried a part of it.

Believe it or not, seeing them like this made me think about myself. On that day where I quit the Marines.

"I understand how you feel" I said, putting my food aside and drawing the attention of the five Na'vi around me, who looked at me confused, Tsu'tey ready to say something rude or hurtful to me and Neytiri would surely reproach me. "I lost my sister too not long ago" that sentence made them refrain themselves from their harsh comments. "We were twins. We looked exactly the same but we were too different from each other. Total polar opposites" I chuckled at the irony of that "My sister was the one supposed to come here, not me. She was supposed to meet you and learn your ways and about this place." I looked around, smiling softly at the peaceful environment and the kids laughing not far from us "This body was even made for her to use."

They were immersed in a short silence until Neytiri decided to ask.

"What happened to her?"

That lump in my throat and the pressure in my chest came back bitterly to remind me of my mistakes and how I lost the only person who has mattered to me throughout my life.

"She was murdered" I say, my eyes looking down at my untouched food as the memories play in the back of my mind.

"Why?" was Neytiri's question.

"Because some son of a bitch wanted some money" I say harshly.

"A sky demon killed her?, But she was a sky people too, right?" Mo'at asked, confused.

"Yeah, there are some that value material things more than other lives" I looked at her.

"That is awful. I am sorry, Aquila" Neytiri put a hand on top of mine to comfort me.

"Thanks" I gripped her hand tightly, a sign of appreciation for her empathy "She was supposed to do great things in here, instead, I'm here in her place because the humans needed someone to put in this body and not make a waste of it" I sighed. I can't remember how many sleepless nights I've gone through just thinking about how selfish that statement sounds, and how angry I am that they didn't care at all about her death. "I'm sorry about your loss too" I say sincerely to them.

"Aquila" Mo'at took my other hand and looked at me right in the eyes with a soft, motherly gaze. That alone made me feel at ease. "Eywa chose you for a reason, if you are the one here, it must mean something. You have come a long way since the day you arrived here. Now you know the ways of the forest, you know how to hunt, weave, fight and you speak our language very good. Give yourself some credit"

But the thing is that I didn't want to aknowledge it completely. I wasn't a saint by any means, after all, I was just as bad as the marines that had killed hundreds of Na'vi back at hell's Gate.

I had taken others life's as well as the man that killed my sister. I still have a hard time getting used to Mo'at calling me 'chosen one'. Besides, I don't believe I deserve their compassion or empathy.

"I wouldn't have made it if it wasn't for you, Norm and Grace. She has really helped me to get more comfortable with your traditions and customs so I could adapt better and fulfill your expectations" I distracted the conversation back to Grace.

I didn't like to be in the spotlight. Even less when I feel so vulnerable.

"Grace was a really good ally and friends of ours," Mo'at commented, turning to look at her mate.

"It is been so long since the last time we saw her" Eytukan added, looking at his mate as well with a little simple and knowing look.

"Aquila, Do you think Grace would like to come here?" Mo'at asked with a soft smile.

I can't describe the way I almost choked on my saliva in shock or how wide my eyes widened upon hearing those words come out of Mo'at's mouth. I didn't think it was possible that she would suggest bringing Grace, at least forgive her, but this was really good.

"Are you serious?, Yes!, Oh my god!!!" I was about to hug Mo'at out of emotion, but I stopped and cleared my throat, embarrassed by my very enthusiastic reaction. "I-I mean, yes, she would like that." I smiled with my cheeks flushed because of how embarrassed I felt afterwards that sudden reaction.

I could see out of the corner of my eye how Neytiri and Tsyeyk were chuckling while Tsu'tey just rolled his eyes.

"Then is settled. Tell her to come in two days. I am sure the kids would love to see her again" Mo'at smiled and went back to eat her food.

"Thank you, Mo'at. This means a lot"

"It is time to put the past in the past. She is not to blame for other's sins" she looked towards Tsu'tey specifically.

[>>>]

The lid of the pod opened for me when I came back from my Avatar. Before I got to jump down the linkbed, Grace was standing there with a steaming cup of coffee and a cigarette hanging from her lips.

"Welcome back, sleeping beauty" she extended the steaming cup of coffee to me "Drink it, I need you awake to record your video logs and document what you have learned" and turned around to walk to the common area of ​​the camp.

I shook my head and stood up from the linkbed taking small sips of my coffee.

"Hello to you too, Augustine" I said sarcastically behind her, taking a sit on the little dinning table.

"Yeah, yeah, hello" I smirked, knowing she rolled her eyes at me.

"Where's Spellman?" I looked around, not seeing the scientist anywhere.

"Behind you" I was startled when I heard his voice behind me. I almost knocked over the coffee in my cup in surprise.

"Well, now that you two are here, I have great news" I smiled as I saw them turn in my direction and then share a confused and somewhat distrustful look.

"About?" Asked Norm, raising one of his eyebrows and crossing his arms in front of his chest.

"Well, I've been doing great lately in my training. I've completed my iknimaya and the Tsahik and Olo'eyktan are very impressed with my efforts and dedication" I was extending the news.

"So?, That's your job" Norm rolled his eyes.

And Grace, she just sighed tiredly because of our bickering.

"What are the news, Aquila?" She asked, stepping up in front of Norm to prevent us from keep bickering.

"The Tsahik and Olo'eyktan have allowed you two to visit Hometree" I finally break the news to them, waiting for their reaction.

I could laugh seeing them both with their eyes open and their mouths almost on the floor. Grace dropped her cigarette on the floor and Norm looked like a statue when he heard my words.

No one could believe what I had said.

"I'm sorry, what?" Norm asked not really believing it.

"What you heard" I have a huge grin on my face right now.

"Is this some kind of twisted-cynical joke?" I furrowed my eyebrows at Grace's accusations.

"No! I'm telling the truth" I defended myself with indignation. "Why is it so hard to believe? Mo'at believes that it's time to put the past in the past for once, Grace. She wants you and Norm to visit Hometree in two days" with those last words, Grace took a seat in front of me, her hands trembling and her eyes darting from one side to the other on my face, searching for a hint of lie in my features.

A glimpse that she didn't get.

"I can't believe this is happening" Grace murmured, amused.

"I'm going to Hometree?" Norm asked himself in disbelief.

Then, he let out a laugh of joy and started to jump around the tiny dinning area singing: 'I'm going to hometree' in a silly childish tone.

I chuckled at his antics before turning to Grace, who's eyes where fixed on the table. She's still processing what I said.

"Grace" I called her. Her eyes fixed on mine now "They really want to see you again"

Only the two of us understood the deep meaning of those words. Grace's eyes teared up a little, but she never let them out.

She closed her eyes taking a deep breath before opening them and smiling softly at me.

"Thank you, Aquila. Thank you" I returned the gentle honest smile.

"It's the least I could do for you both" I looked at Norm too "You've helped me a lot to make it to where I am, I wanted to do something for you too"

That night, in the middle of the little dinning area something changed between the three of us. It was no longer them against me, or much less a competition or a beneficial alliance.

That night, our perspective of each other changed.

No longer enemies, but friends who began to work as a true team.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

133K 3.5K 30
At a young age, Tahlani was banished from the Metkayina clan by the two people she loved, never to return again. Being a hybrid, born of the Metkayin...
47.6K 1K 18
Y/n sully, eldest daughter of neytiri and jake sully, what happens when she has to flee her home to join another clan, but meets a boy who tends to i...
190K 5K 30
Abandoned from birth. Trained to kill from a young age. obsessed with escaping earth and exploring the world of Pandora. A young girl finds a book al...
78K 1.8K 18
Lia Sully was no Scientist or Marine. She was a Medical Student before she decided to go to Pandora with her Older Brother; Ex-Marine Jake Sully, and...