Howl At My Side

By Inverno

Cordelia Gray and her twin Connor Gray were born during the war between werewolf packs. The war lasted longer... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - Exiled
Chapter 2 - I found the Shadow Valley Pack
Chapter 3 - My previous pack abused me
Chapter 4 - I can't run
Chapter 5 - Home sweet home... Not!
Chapter 6 - Cold introductions
Chapter 7 - Sleepwalking Kent strikes again!
Chapter 9 - The Prophecy
Chapter 10 - The betrayal
Chapter 11 - This means war
Chapter 12 - First date
Chapter 13 - Fair warning
Chapter 14 - Clashed, united
Chapter 15 - Confrontation
Epilogue
ANNOUNCEMENT BOARD
New Story Cover!
Spin off?

Chapter 8 - Lucas might not be that bad

8K 191 47
By Inverno

Chapter 8 – Lucas might not be that bad

________________________________________________________________________________

Today, we were going to train the Silver Moon pack. After my confrontation with Lucas yesterday, I managed to avoid him completely, but I'm positive I can't avoid him for training. Since he is Beta, he will have to discuss the training schedule and everything with me. I could ask Trey or Kent to do it but I didn't want to appear weak.

With that in thought I got out of bed and took a long hot bath. Baths always make me feel more relaxed. I sunk lower into the tub as the warm water soothed all of my tense muscles. Katy banged on the door and yelled, "Lia! Get out of there! I need to use the bathroom and you've been in there for a century!!" I chuckled. "I have not been in here for a century, stop being so melodramatic, Katy!" I yelled back, smirking as I got out of the bathtub and wrapped a towel around me.

I opened the door to a hoping and pissed off Katy. She glared at me as I gave her an innocent smile, "Sorry for being in there for a century." I said sarcastically. Katy glared playfully at me one more time before running past me and slamming the bathroom door in my face. "You're welcome!" I yelled at the door. I heard Katy groaned as she said, "Beware of Kent sleepwalking in your bed, he might do it tonight." I chuckled.

But then I paused. I better lock my doors from now on. I am not taking any chances with Kent's stupid sleepwalking habits. Lucas just became his victim yesterday and I don't want to be the second. Though I really wish he would do that to Ryan or Jake. Especially naked. That would give them a scare that will scar them for life. I grinned mentally. Oh I'm so evil right now. Hehehe...

I got dressed and marched downstairs for breakfast. As I turned the corner, I could hear some people yelling. I tiptoed silently. I know it's wrong to eavesdrop but I can't help it, if you don't want people to hear your arguments, don't do it in the kitchen.

I sneaked a peek and gasped mentally at the scene unfolding in front of me. Ashley and Lucas were fighting. I could see anger clear in Lucas' eyes as Ashley's held jealousy and anger as well. I was so confused. Why were they fighting?

I had to strain my ear to hear clearer. "Ashley, why can't you just drop it? Lia got exiled six months ago. She's already had it rough as it is. Why are you trying to make her suffer even more?!" Lucas yelled. I stood there frozen. "Why are you defending that slut?! If my memory serves right, you rejected her didn't you! She will never forgive you. She will never take you back. Nothing you do will ever change her mind." Ashley yelled back. I saw pain and regret flash in Lucas' eyes before it turned hard and was replaced with pure anger.

"She is not a slut! She's a better person than you will ever be." Lucas fisted his hair and tugged on it as he groaned loudly. "Just leave, Ashley." He whispered. Ashley looked stunned and hurt but then she looked determine. "Fine. But mark my words Lucas, I will be back and I will make that slut mate of yours pay for what she's done!" I clenched my fists in anger when she finished. Why does she hate me so much? I get a lot of people hate me. Heck, the whole pack hated me, but why? That was the question that always ran in my head whenever people beat the crap out of me. Why do they hate me? Let's just say, I never predicted the answer to be the words Lucas spoke next, "It's not Cordelia's fault that she is one of the chosen ones to be protecting the werewolf race! Why do you hate her for that anyway? Don't you want peace?!" Ashley glared at Lucas and yelled, "I do want peace but I don't want that biatch to be the one who brings peace! She's just going to screw everything up. It should've been me! I should be the chosen one, not her!" Alright, that's it.

I marched up to Ashley and punched her square on the face. She fell backwards from impact and I heard a crunch when my fist connected with her face. I'm guessing I broke her nose... good.

I looked up to Lucas but he wasn't paying attention to Ashley anymore, all his attention was solely on me, in his eyes held regret, pain and pride. He's proud that I punched the hell out of Ashley? Well, I know she's a biatch and everything but isn't she his 'mate'.

"Lia-" I put my hand up and cut him off, "Save it Lucas." With that I walked out of the kitchen and ran towards the forest. I no longer had an appetite to eat breakfast. I ran fast and for a long time. It might've been hours but in truth, it was about an hour and a half. As I trotted back to the pack house, Lucas was sitting down on the back porch with a bunch of clothes in his hands.

When he saw me coming he got up slowly and walked towards me. I gave him a warning growl and he stopped. He placed the clothes on the floor and looked at me with pain filled eyes before turning and heading inside. I shifted back, grabbed the clothes and went inside. I saw Lucas about to turn the hallway but I stopped him. "Here are your clothes." I said with no emotions. Lucas nodded, not meeting my eyes then he left.

I sighed. This is too much stress.

The day passed uneventfully afterwards. I didn't see Ashley during training. Lucas was there but he seems to be in a daze the whole time. If he didn't get his head out of the gutter soon he'll get hurt. I picked up a small ball and aimed it at Lucas' back. I threw it and heard an oomph. I looked up and was greeted by with a pair of lush green eyes. "What was that for?" Lucas asked as he grabbed the ball and threw it back at me.

I caught it with ease and shrugged, "You need to be aware of your surroundings at all time. Let's say I was a hunter and I threw a silver knife at you instead of this ball? You would be dead right now." I said with all seriousness. Lucas glared at me but then his expression softened. "You're right." He whispered. I froze. My heart picked up and I felt fluttering in my stomach. Tingles ran up and down my spine from his soft voice. Why does he have this effect on me? He rejected me. At least, I think he did.

"Whatever." I muttered and turned to go back inside but Lucas grabbed my arm and pulled me back. "Lia please, I need to talk to you." He pleaded. I looked into his eyes, which was a huge mistake; in his eyes were love, longing and regret. My chest tightens with longing to be in his arms to be in love with him but I knew we were far from that right now.

"Talk." I said, as I stared at him with a blank face. Lucas begins dragging me somewhere. I didn't know where he was taking me but for some reason, I didn't felt alarmed. I didn't feel the need to look behind my back for enemies because for some odd reason, I trusted Lucas. I know he would protect me with his life. But, the question is, will he?

We stopped in the middle of a clearing. The water flowed and sparkled under the dimed sunlight. Lucas walked over to a large boulder with me in tow. Once he sat down he gently tugged my hand, making me sit on his lap. I wanted to protest, I wanted to lash at him but he wouldn't let go. I started pushing his chest which only resulted in him pulling me closer and holding me tighter.

I gave up and fell limp in his arms. Once he was sure I wouldn't try to pull away he loosened his grip but still held me in his arms. "What is it you wanted to talk about that we couldn't have done it back at the pack house?" I asked impatiently. Lucas sighed before leaning his head on top of mine. "I didn't want people to disturb us when I tell you everything." I looked up and stared into his green eyes. His eyes held love, adoration and anxiousness. "Spit it out." I said harshly. Lucas flinched but nodded anyway.

"I didn't mean to reject you six months ago." He started. "I was excited when I found out you were my mate. But there was a problem. I was with Ashley. I couldn't just leave her like that. I loved her, Lia." I growled. I glared at him, my eyes filled with anger and hatred, "Do not give me that bull, Lucas. I don't care whatever your reasons are, you rejected me either way. You hurt me, you scarred me. That scar will always be with me forever Lucas. How can I trust whatever you're saying right now? How do I know that you won't just turn your back on me when I accept you?"

I stopped him before he could talk, "You can't predict the future, Lucas. Sure you might not love Ashley right now but what if for some reason you loved her again and left me? I won't be able to cope with that. I can't just be your rebound girl whenever you and Ashley have a fight." I said sternly. I got up from Lucas' lap and quickly made my way back towards the pack house. I could feel Lucas' presence behind me but I was too busy replaying what he said to me earlier. Suddenly I felt someone pull me by the elbow as my back connected with that of a tree trunk.

I growled at Lucas, my eyes glowing a brighter blue. "Let. Me. Go." I snarled. Lucas ignored me and continued to pin me against the tree. "I swear Lucas, if you don't let me go I will break every bone in your body." I snapped. Fear shown in Lucas' eyes before he replaced it with determination.

Before I could react, his lips smashed into mine. His kiss was filled with passion, love and frustration. I just stood there, unmoving, indecisive. Should I kiss him back? Before I could decide, Lucas pulled away and rested his forehead against mine. I gazed into his eyes as he gazed into mine. "Please." He pleaded. I knew what he wanted. But I wasn't sure if I was ready. I haven't fully trust him yet.

Lucas didn't wait for an answer as his lips connected with mine again, this time more gentle and sweet. I surprised both Lucas and myself by responding. I timidly caressed his cheek with my fingers as I felt tingles radiate from the simple gesture. Lucas started kissing my nose, then my cheeks, my forehead and my eyelids before kissing my lips. I wrapped my free hand around his neck and pulled him closer to me.

Lucas growled in approval as I could feel his arm snaking around my waist. I didn't pull away. The tingles felt amazing, the kiss was mind blowing. For once in a long time, I felt... complete. Is this what mates feel?

All too soon, Lucas pulled away. I whimpered but Lucas just chuckled. His chest vibrated against mine and I blushed when I realized I wanted to kiss him. I wanted him to kiss me again. What is going on with me? I can't feel this. I can't trust him.

'Give him a chance.' My wolf whined. My eyes widen, my wolf hasn't been speaking to me for a long time now.

'How can I trust him ever again for what he did to us?' I asked her.

I could imagine her pacing back and forth in the back of my mind, 'I'd rather take the risk of being loved and then losing it instead of never being loved and losing it.'  I knew what she was talking about. She was talking about when all of this is over. When we find the hunter's secret weapon. When we finished training the Silver Moon pack. I'd have to go back to the Shadow Valley pack. I'd have to go on missions worldwide. I couldn't stay with Lucas.

"We can't..." I whispered softly. I was afraid that if I said it loud enough, it might come true. "Why?" Lucas asked, hurt evident in his face. My heart shattered. I didn't like seeing him hurt. Yes he might've rejected me but, everyone deserves a second chance right? This might be my last chance of ever having happiness and feel the love mates should feel.

"I'm a warrior, Lucas. My job is dangerous and I have to go back to the Shadow Valley pack when this is all over." He opened his mouth to reply but I placed a finger on his lips to stop him, "I will not let you leave the Silver Moon pack, Lucas. You are the Beta. You have responsibilities." I said solemnly. I didn't want to leave him. I didn't want to do this.

Lucas nodded his head but I could see he had some tears in his eyes. I grabbed his face in my hands and kissed him softly. "But I'm willing to try, Lucas." I said. Hope and happiness shined in Lucas' eyes as he picks me up and spins me around. I giggled at him as his laugh echoed around the forest. "Please forgive me." He stared into my eyes with so much love I was practically drowning in them. I nodded absentmindedly before a question popped into my head.

I wanted to ask him but seeing him smile for the first time since I got here changed my mind. I can worry about the past later. Right now, I want to focus on Lucas. My mate.

My wolf purred approvingly at the word 'my mate'. I mentally agreed with her. Lucas finally puts me down and gave me one last lingering kiss before he grabs my hand and we both made our way back towards the pack house.

When we got there, everything was quiet. Too quiet. Something was wrong. Then I heard it. An ear piercing scream. I knew whose scream it was, it belonged to Katy. I ran towards the pack house in full speed with Lucas hot on my trail. I didn't slow down when I got inside. I ran up the stairs, towards Katy and my bedroom and barged in. There I saw Katy withering in pain on the flour. I fell to the floor beside her and put pressure on her stomach where blood was gushing out. She was losing a lot of blood. "Lucas, get the pack doctor now!" I yelled. I heard footsteps echoing throughout the house. "Katy, stay with me now. Come on, open your eyes." I frantically shook her.

Katy groaned but kept her eyes open. "That's it, just stay awake, Katy." Thirty seconds later I heard many footsteps as people barged through the door. Jace pushed people out of the way and quickly carried Katy in his arms. I followed him as he walked down the halls towards the infirmary. I was about to go in but then I was pulled back by someone I didn't know. I was furious.

I wanted to rip his throat out for not letting me through. I was about to lash at him when I felt a strong pair of arms holding me back by the waist. I thrashed in his arms as I turned to look at Trey. He didn't loosen his hold on me as I started punching his shoulders.

After a few minutes I stopped punching him but I was still shaking. I knew I was close to shifting; I wanted to be in there for Katy. She was like a sister to me.

I was about to lash out at Trey again but then I was suddenly engulfed in a warm embrace. I looked up to meet Lucas' green eyes. Lucas pulled me flush against his chest as he stroke my hair and cooed sweet words in my ears. After several minutes I stopped shaking, my breath evened out. I didn't notice we were sitting down on a chair. I glanced up and saw Kent, Finn and trey staring at me in Lucas' arms. I didn't have the energy to talk to them so I sent a mind link to them.

'I'll explain this later.' With that I closed the mind link and fell asleep in Lucas' arms.

________________________________________________________________________________

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.7M 152K 31
Nerdy Filthy Fat Skye Hale has been bullied since she could remember, she was Fat and a Nerd making her the biggest loser in school. On her Sophomor...
409K 13.3K 35
"You threw me to the rogues, but you never expected me to lead them. You thought they'd eat me, but instead they bow before me." She backs up, seemin...
763K 21.8K 35
Book 1 in the Rogue War series. Life has a way of yanking the rug from beneath one's feet. Katrina knows that better than most, after being rejected...
1M 22.7K 58
A/N: The name used to be Broken...Yet still holding on. Figured its time for a change. "Silo, tell me...did you claim her?" he looked guilty but did...