Crisis of Faith

By thisgurl22

"How can you not see how I feel about you," Finnick shouted desperately, his green orbs boring into Kaianna's... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
20

19

124 1 0
By thisgurl22

Everyone's heads snapped up towards the white doors, as Katniss wearily walked through them. The brunette glanced around the group, who were already scattered around the circular table, questioningly.

"What's this?" She finally squeaked out.

"The remaining victors," Coin said immediately, "won't you join us?"

The young mockingjay, hesitantly twisted on her heel, and found her spot at the table rather quickly, unknowingly permitting everyone to take their seats.

"I've invited you all here for several reasons but first, I have an announcement," Coin began confidently after everyone had sat down, "I have taken the burden and the honor of declaring myself interim President of Panem."

Haymitch was the first to respond, with a deep scoff, "Interim? Exactly how long is that interim?"

"We have no way of knowing for certain." Coin masked her words with a false sympathy, "but it's clear that people are far too emotional right now, to make a rational decision. We'll plan an election when the time is right."

"Great." Kaianna muttered lowly.

Coin sent her a pointed look before continuing, "I have called you here for a far more important vote. A symbolic vote."

Kaianna sent Finnick a worried glance, and he responded with an uneasy shrug.

"This afternoon, we will execute Snow," Coin continued, "hundreds of his accomplices also await their deaths. Capitol officials, peacekeepers, torturers, gamemakers but, the danger is, after we begin, the rebels will not stop calling for retribution. Thirst for blood is a difficult urge to satisfy. So, I offer and alternative plan. Majority of four may approve, no one may obstain."

The group sat silently, anxiously waiting for Coin to continue.

"The proposal is this: in lieu of these barbaric executions, we hold a symbolic Hunger Games."

Before anyone else had the opportunity to break the silence, Johanna was laughing manically.

"You wanna have another Hunger Games, with the Capitol's children?"

"You're joking." Peeta said boredly.

"Not in the slightest." Coin responded firmly.

Kaianna tugged her hands through her hair roughly, "Of course not. Why wouldn't that be your solution?"

Haymitch scoffed again, "Is this, Plutarch's idea?"

"It was mine," Coin shrugged proudly, "it balances the need for revenge, with the least loss of human life."

Kaianna was in awe, in the worst way. All they did, had seemed to be for nothing. Revenge. Nothing but revenge. But, was revenge always the answer? All most of the table wanted was justice, and safety. Bow things were getting out of hand, all over again.

"You may cast your votes-"

"No," Peeta cut Coin off sternly and without a single hesitation, "no, obviously not. This is crazy."

"I think it's more than fair, Snow's got a granddaughter," Johanna said in a sing-song tone, "I say 'yes'."

"So do I," Enobaria chimed in. Her ability to hold the grudge was surprising to some considering she had forgiven Kaianna's attempt on her life so easily. Although, each circumstance was different, "let them have a taste of it."

"You guys! This way of thinking is what started these uprisings." Peeta cried out.

"I'm with Peeta," Finnick mumbled, gazing towards Kaianna sadly, "no. It's what Mags would've chosen if she was here."

"Well she's not," Johanna sassed, "because Snow killed her."

"I say no." Annie said shakily.

"No," Beetee voted, "we need to stop viewing each other as enemies."

"It's down to Katniss, Haymitch, and Kaianna."Coin spoke slightly less surely than she had a moment ago.

Kaianna was ready to shout the two letter word from the rooftops but, before she could make the attempt Katniss spoke up.

"I get to kill Snow." The girl bargained.

Kaianna's green orbs narrowed at the girl from twelve, but more in curiosity than judgment.

"I expected no less of you." Coin nodded.

Kaianna searched Katniss's face as she awaited an answer.

"Then I vote yes," Katniss agreed monotonously, "for Prim."

Kaianna set her face in stone to avoid cringing at the mention of Katniss's late baby sister. Coin nodded calmly, "Haymitch?"

The rugged blonde was also examining Katniss thoroughly, and he seemed to gather whatever he was searching for in her gaze. He moved his focus to the wood in front of him slowly, but surely. Kaianna knew his answer. He had trust in Katniss, and he knew there was a deeper reason behind her decision.

"I'm with the mockingjay." He finally answered.

Coin looked towards Kaianna, more out of politeness than anything else.

"Not that it matters," The tan woman tucked one of her curls behind her ear, "so I trust her too."

"Alright. Well with five yes's that more than carries the vote," Coin grinned victoriously, "excellent."

Kaianna ignored Finnick's hard look, and batted her eyes nervously still unsure of her own agreement. Not that her vote even mattered. Except, it did. Morally.

"We'll announce the games tonight, after the execution. Until then, I'll leave you all to finish getting settled."

Coin rose from her seat calmly, and sent the group a curt nod before making a swift and silent exit. Kaianna wasted no time before pushing herself out of her chair and all but catapulting herself into Katniss's embrace.

"I'm so happy you're alive," She whispered. Katniss nuzzled her face into Kaianna's neck, and allowed her to rub her back, "and I'm so sorry about-"

"Kaianna."

She pulled out of Katniss's grip and turned around slowly to meet Finnick's hard expression. She looked back to Katniss with an apologetic expression.

"It's alright," The brunette nodded, "go ahead, and I- thank you-"

"Of course." Kaianna grinned sadly.

Her green orbs then met Finnick's briefly, warranting him to lead her out of the doubled doors. Without thinking he grabbed her hand, and lead her down the hall to a small nook, that gave them more privacy. His hand let go of her's to shut the door quietly. Kaianna walked herself over to a mahogany desk, and pressed herself against it, crossing her arms anxiously. She but her lip nervously as she watched Finnick cross his arms.

"Do you," He sighed frustratedly at his failure to say what he needed to, "what made you-"

"I trust her."

"I'm not saying I don't-"

"I didn't say you were," Kaianna clarified confidently, "I know you do, and so do I."

"Yeah well my trust didn't push me to agreeing to send innocent children to fight for their lives." He growled.

Kaianna raised her eyebrows in surprise. He was angry. Visibly angry, and he never got that way. Not even during their games. Finnick was always lighthearted, and patient. At first Kaianna had always thought it was nativity, or too much brainwashing, but he just viewed the world a few shades lighter than she did. She had grown attached to that quality.

"I'm not gonna argue about this with you," She swallowed the unsureness bubbling in her chest, "it's over and done with. Finnick my decision wouldn't have had any actual weight, even if I said no-"

"So you could've said no," He pushed, "you didn't have to go out of your to prove yourself-"

"Finnick."

"Kaianna," He said firmly, "how could you do this? After everything you've been through? How could you? Do you really not care at all?"

Her eyes rose again, this time, they were laced with offense, and heartbreak.

"Alright," She scoffed after a moment, "that's what you think about me? After all this time? That's fine."

She pushed herself up, and made an attempt to exit.

"Wait," He rushed out, taking her hand off of the shiny doorknob. The mansion was fancier than any of them were used to, even from their 'life of a victor', "I didn't mean-"

"I don't care what you meant," She mumbled, "I'm going home."

"Please don't leave." Finnick pleaded. He wrapped his arms around her tightly, and buried his face down into her neck.

"I don't want to be here anymore," Kaianna whispered her confession into his dirty blonde locks, "you know where to find me."

"And I will," Finnick mumbled defeatedly, "the minute this is all over, I'm coming to find you."

Kaianna hid her worries with a small smile. She believed him wholeheartedly. Of course she did. She also still believed that nothing good could last. Finnick had been around for far too long, and she was terrified to lose him. Maybe if she didn't vocalize her fears, they'd diminish. So, she nodded and reached for the doorknob again, and this time Finnick let her go without a fight.

She looked up towards him, with tears in her eyes.

"Goodbye Finnick."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

875 13 13
THG Fanfiction- Katniss has never talked to her savior, Peeta Mellark, but when their is a bump in their relationship things happen. Will she thank...
38.7K 529 24
Gale grabbed my neck. Gosh he was so strong. He started squeezing it. I gasped as he squeezed harder. His hand were choking me. Black spots dance bef...
323K 7.9K 62
He meant everything to her. Three years later and she'd still do anything to keep him safe, sacrifice everything to protect him- even if that meant k...
8.3K 178 29
ೃ༄ πŠπ€π‹πŽππ’πˆπ€ πŸ”±πŸŒŠΛšβ—žβ™‘ ﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌ * ˏˋ°‒*β€βž· β˜οΈΛΛ‹Β°β€’*β€βž· π‹π’πŸπž 𝐚𝐬 𝐚 𝐯𝐒𝐜𝐭𝐨𝐫 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐲, training the kids from your district, as a...