The Railway After Series #1:...

Por leoclown83

The island of Sodor is busy as market season comes along but an accident on the bridge causes both to shut do... Más

Note from the Author
Sinking Feelings
James and Casey

Sulking Engines

40 1 0
Por leoclown83

Henry sat in the shed getting to steam, embracing the little hours he has for rest. He had been doing long hard work with James, often lasting long into the night with them both returning to their shed exhausted. Henry was aggravated, "Long trains . . . Then long trains after, it's such a nuisance; especially with that red worm who always bickers." James had just woken up next to him, having not heard a word. "Oh, speaking of the devil. . . " James' fireman was shoveling coal into his firebox. "It's time already? I need more sleep for myself; I deserve it for all my hard work." Said James to his fireman. His fireman, just simply trying to shut him up said, "Shush you. You need to work so we all can get this bridge back; then maybe you can get something for it. Does that sound nice?" "Get something for it? All I've been getting is rock down my funnel and less sleep! I want a different fireman, this one says too much." His fireman huffed and Henry gave a side eye to James intensely, "You can't get a new fireman because everyone is taken. . . You should know that, fool." "And, what else? What do I need from him anyway? I can start my fire myself!" 
James was foolish since obviously engines can't start their own fires but he tried. All he did was create a draft in his firebox and hindered it. His fireman panicked and quickly started to shovel to support the fire. "My fire! My lovely warm fire!" James cried but all Henry could do was laugh at him as he rolled out of his perch, now at full steam.

"How dare he laugh at me, how dare he." James said as he biffed some trucks in the yard. "Ow! Ow! Watch it you! We like not being in pieces." "Quiet! Or I'll put you into my fire." He snorted. The trucks could only respond with a gasp in disgust. "What's gone down your funnel?" Asked his driver. "Nothing!" "Such a fussy engine. What will pay you back?" "Nothing will, nobody could possibly have the boiler to." "Sure, you say that now. Let's finish our shunting so you can boast more later." 
James sat speechless as the trucks laughed. His driver made sure he didn't lash out and biff the trucks again; slowly pushing the trucks into place. 

James had forgotten about being laughed at when he came to couple up behind Henry for the late supply train.  It had started to softly snow and the weather caused James to sit impatiently, thinking of a cozy shed to sleep in. "Uuuugh. . . More weather, what an annoyance. Soon it'll be harder for me to take this train and I'll be cold now!" Henry just sat there trying to ignore James; Henry and even James' crew had enough of his constant whining. The green engine sat thinking and even when the two engines moved, "Maybe. . . Maybe it could work. . . " He muttered to himself. 
The trucks were being quite restless today due to the reckless biffing from James; Henry often told himself that he pulled the main load of the train and he's starting to think he was right. Both engines pulled the train roughly to get it up Old Gordon's hill, the trucks applying their brakes trying to halt them but they pressed on. Finally they got over and panted while going down the rest of the line. "Try harder!" Demanded Henry out of breath. "I am! I am! Shush it, you green snake!" Henry tried to retort but before he knew it they arrived at the bridge construction site.
As their train was being unloaded Henry whispered to the red engine, "James." "Yes, what is it?" "You know, I have a plan for us both to get a break. All you have to do is be quiet for now and listen when we get back to the shed." James' eyes widened. "Finally I can get sleep for myself, I'll look better than ever." He beamed. "That should shut him up for a while. . . " Henry said to himself.

Once the two engines got to the enclosed shed, their crews left for the night. They sat together and James got excited, "So what's your genius plan Henry? Tell me already! I'm tired of this all." "Hush up! For this plan to work, let me do the talking and be quiet until I say so in the morning." Henry paused and reminisced about their strike in the past. "And don't let Topham get to you, last time Gordon's plan had holes. That Fat Controller has no other choice this time; we are crucial, he has no time to punish us and leave us in sheds right now. Do you understand?" "Yes." "Good. Now let's sleep and wait for morning, then we act." The two engines gave grins to each other devilishly before falling asleep. 

The engines woke the next morning with them being fired; they grumbled heavily. "Remember to be quiet James." "I will, don't rush me-" "Shhhhh! Our drivers are here. . . " Henry's driver climbed aboard his cab and waited for the turntable to come around. His driver moved him forward but with a sudden jolt Henry stopped, between his spot and the turntable. "What's going on?" His driver questioned. "A strike Sir. You won't move me, I know you can't." His driver started to seethe, "Henry. . . you big elephant, I heard you last night. I should've told Topham but I didn't because I trusted you to not be foolish. He's gonna hear it now for sure!" Henry grinned, "Go ahead. He has no other option than to listen to our demands. So waste your time and get him." "Why you-" Henry's driver went away fuming. Both engines were smiling from buffer to buffer. "That'll teach them to overwork us." The sulking engines waited for Topham.

"What is the meaning of this?" A familiar stern voice entered the shed with Henry's driver by his side. "Oh there he is, Henry." "Yes I see. Hullo, Sir." "Don't 'hullo' me! Explain yourself Henry, now." Henry and James smiled to each other, "A strike Sir, and there's nothing you can do to punish us right now." "Yes there is, you buffoon." James snickered, "Henry, I think he's lying." "I think so too." Topham was red in the face, "I am not!" James laughed as Henry sat amazed. "Now that's new, usually controllers never turn red, especially fat controllers." "Henry, where did you possibly learn this language? Especially coming from you. I specified for all of you to not call me that." "Then you have no other choice than to listen to us for it to stop. Honestly, your railway is in panic and you will be low on engines, unless you listen to our demands." "How dare you! I'll- I'll-. . . " "You'll do what, Sir?" Topham sighed, "You're a crafty engine, Henry, you found me out. Fine. What are your demands?" "Simply less work, Sir. We engines like James and I need more sleep. We are exhausted from the extra workload." "Then it'll be sorted, Henry. I promise." "Okay, Sir." Just like that, Henry's driver got back onto Henry's cab and he willingly moved onto the turntable fully to get to work; both engines keeping their side of the deal.

Topham was stuck in a hard place as he sat at his desk at home; he couldn't think of a way to find another engine for cheap. His husband walked in, "Are you worried?" "Yes, I cannot think of where to find a cheap replacement for those two." "I think you're overworked, maybe we should go on a trip to America with that money we saved." Topham looked up and sighed. "That would be best, dear. Maybe I can. . . " "What dear?" "Nothing, let's go on that trip. Go tell our daughter for me." His husband nodded. 

Everything was set and a temporary controller was called for him. They packed their bags and Sophie, their daughter, was excited to go on the trip, practically jumping in her seat on the plane. When they arrived, the family traveled over to all sorts of obscure railways. He took many pictures of engines and his family. 

Around half way on the trip, the family found a nice small scenic railway in a town nestled between mountains one day. The engine that greeted them for the scenic ride was an unusually large steam engine for a line of that type.
"Sir, what type of engine is that?" He asked the guard. "Oh, her? That is Casey, she's a H6 Mallet (Mah-lay-)." "Fascinating. What did she used to do?" "Long heavy trains. Now she has been pulling passengers and other things on this line since we bought and restored her." "Okay, that's all I needed to know. Thank you Sir." "Have a nice trip, Mister." The guard replied happily. His family climbed aboard an open coach and enjoyed the ride; Sophie looked out the window happily, seeing nature carved terrain with many trees and cliffs of pure rigid rock. Once they got off the ride, his family went to the gift shop and he stayed behind, whispering to the engine. "Casey, is it?" The engine looked at him in confusion, "I am. Who are you?" "You gave such an amazing trip. I'm Sir Topham Hatt, I control my own railway near England. Could I ask you something?" "As long as it's not boring, Sir." "If I make a deal with your controller, would you pull long heavy supply trains for me?" She paused and gave a soft smile. "Well, yes Sir, I miss long trains sometimes; it reminds me of my lovely old work." "Good. Then I'll get it settled for you. Have a good day, Casey. May I get a picture?" "Of course for a person like you." He took a picture of her and waved goodbye before getting back together with his family. "What took you so long?" asked his daughter. "Nothing dear. Father just had to plan some things." His husband gave him a look, figuring him out. Topham smiled and he smiled back, "I knew you were up to something, Bernadette." "I know, I know." They both chuckled.

After the trip, Topham struck a hasty deal with the scenic railway for them to ship her there as long as he did something in return one day. He went back to Sodor to the sheds where Henry and James just woke, about finished steaming up.
"What do you want?" James yawned. "I struck a deal with a railway. An engine will be shipped in a week to help us all. Does that suit your demands well?" Both the engines' moods lit up. "Of course, Sir. You are an honest man to your word," Replied Henry. "No need for compliments, I promised. Although . . . Henry, I'm disappointed with how you had to tell me. I won't punish you because you went back to work immediately like a good engine." "Thank you Sir." "And for you James, I heard about your unnecessary whining and general rudeness as of late. You will have to plow snow to help the twins as punishment after your replacement is found." James' mood soon turned sour. "S-Snow?!" He stuttered. "But-" "Quiet." "Yes Sir." "Both of you will need to work for another week but I imagine all should be well by then." James tried to open his mouth to complain again but Henry gave a piercing look to him and he went silent. "Yes it will be, for both of us, James." The two thanked Topham and steamed off to work. James was speechless.

Author note: The unnamed railway included in this story is the Western Maryland Scenic Railway. You can see Casey (1309) in real life (You can also find videos of her on youtube as well,) at the railway in Cumberland, Maryland. You can go on trips or just visit her and the gift shop; any amount of money will help the railway. I thank the many people at the station, museum and town for my amazing trip while visiting. The railway may not be much but for what it is, it's amazing in my eyes.

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

123K 5.1K 52
❥❥❥ [BNHA x Fem!Reader] ❛❛𝔸𝕝𝕝 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕣𝕚𝕔𝕙𝕖𝕤 𝕓𝕒𝕓𝕪, 𝕎𝕠𝕟'𝕥 𝕞𝕖𝕒𝕟 𝕒𝕟𝕪𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕘, 𝔸𝕝𝕝 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕣𝕚𝕔𝕙𝕖𝕤 𝕓𝕒𝕓𝕪...
577K 8.8K 86
A text story set place in the golden trio era! You are the it girl of Slytherin, the glue holding your deranged friend group together, the girl no...
1.1M 20K 44
What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place almost 20 years after Believe me. Aaron and...
160K 17.3K 23
"𝙏𝙤𝙪𝙘𝙝 𝙮𝙤𝙪𝙧𝙨𝙚𝙡𝙛, 𝙜𝙞𝙧𝙡. 𝙄 𝙬𝙖𝙣𝙣𝙖 𝙨𝙚𝙚 𝙞𝙩" Mr Jeon's word lingered on my skin and ignited me. The feeling that comes when yo...