reticent

By islaholland

Amalia Romano is sixteen years old now. Still a dancing prodigy, she lands herself a photoshoot for a magazin... More

characters
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
epilogue
SERIES INFORMATION
RELEASES

50

8K 429 162
By islaholland

• AMALIA •

When I wake up again, I'm surrounded by the feeling of familiarity that bleeds from my bedroom.

A heavy arm is wrapped around my shoulders. Grayson tucks me closer to him as he sleeps soundly beside me, his chest rising and falling with even breaths.

     I shuffle away from him, sitting up. I stagger out of bed, grab money from my florist fund, walk over to my door and step outside.

I make my way through the house until I get downstairs. Then I slide on the shoes waiting for me beside the door and unlock it, walking out.

I don't know where I plan on going, but I've only been awake for a few minutes and that house already feels suffocating. I pump my legs, wishing I'd changed before I left, or brought my phone and some ear buds to listen to music.

I haven't listened to music in so long.

When I find what I'm looking for, I pull my money out of my pocket with shaky hands and walk over to the two teenagers on the opposite side of the road. The girl looks up, her dark hair spilling over her shoulder as she meets my gaze. The boy follows her gaze to me, and he leans back on the brick wall behind him.

"Are you drug dealers?" I ask.

The girl arches a perfectly shaped brow. "Excuse me?"

The boy, however, ticks his lips up at the sides. "Are you looking to buy some drugs?"

I nod.

He looks amused. "And what are you looking for?"

"Clonazepam."

     His eyebrows shoot up, a surprised look taking over his expression. "That's a sedative."

     "I know that."

     "Do I look like a drug dealer?" The girl mumbles to herself. His eyes stay trained on me, and I fight the urge to squirm under his gaze.

     "No." He says shortly, glancing at her. He tilts his head. "Why do you want a sedative?"

     "You're not supposed to ask that."

     His amusement grows. "I'm not supposed to?"

     "Can you give me some or not?" I snap.

     "Mhm." He hums. "Not for free, though."

     I pass him the fifty pound bill. He arches an eyebrow. "What?" I question. "Is it not enough? I've never bought drugs before."

     "It's more than enough." He mumbles. "Stay here." He orders, then walks around the brick wall.

     I look up at the girl. "It's not that you look like a drug dealer or anything. It's just an aura thing."

     Her eyes narrow into slits. "An aura thing?"

     I nod.

     She rolls her eyes next, and then her friend reappears. He hands me a small ziplock bag, and I open it and look inside, finding seven syringes full of liquid.

     "Thanks." I say, smiling.

     "Be careful with those." The boy drawls. "They're dangerous."

     I side eye him before turning and walking away.

The house is quiet when I get back, save for the voices in the living room.

     I rush past it, but when I lift my foot up to get onto the first step, the door opens and Xander walks out, followed by an unfamiliar face.

     "Amalia." He says, pausing when he says. "I didn't know you were awake. Are you okay?"

     I ignore him, looking at the stranger. "Who are you?"

     "He's our cousin." Xander tells me. "His name is Rocco."

     "Hey." Rocco says, his Italian accent thick as he grins at me. He tilts his head a little as he looks down at the ziplock bag in my hands. "What's that?"

     I hide it behind my back. "None of your business."

     He frowns. Xander frowns, too. "Amalia." He says quietly.

     "I'm going back to bed."

     "Wait—"

     But I'm already walking back upstairs. Grayson is still sleeping when I get into my bedroom, and I throw a pillow at his head. He cracks an eye open to look at me, eyebrow arching.

     "Was there any need?"

     "I'm going to bed." He holds an arm out for me. I shake my head. "I meant you need to get out."

     His lips tilt downwards. "I wanna cuddle my baby sister."

     I stare blankly at him.

     He heaves a sigh and stands, taking his time yawning. He grins at me. "Can I have a hug before I go, at least?"

     "No."

     He frowns again. "Okay." He says softly. "Have a good sleep, then."

     I don't reply, watching him leave. Then I lock the door, grab a syringe from the bag and inject it into my arm.

     I let out a content sigh when my body freezes up, then relaxes as sleep drags me under like a drowning man in a wave.

"Baby." My dad whispers, waking me up.

My vision is blurry for a minute before it clears, revealing my fathers familiar smile.

"Hi, sweetheart." He says softly. "How are you feeling?"

I snuggle into my covers, grateful that I'm under them alone. I had to sleep in a bed with Nathan for two weeks, had to constantly feel his presence beside me—had to feel it wherever I went.

But now he's gone. And I.. I'm not sure I know what to do now.

"Amalia." He says.

"What?"

"You need some food."

"I'm not hungry."

"It's five o'clock." He tells me.

I frown. "I only went to sleep a few minutes ago."

"Why don't you try come downstairs?" He suggests. "I want you to meet someone."

"Is it Rock?"

He furrows his eyebrows. "What?" His eyes soften then, and he smiles. "Sweetheart, do you mean Rocco?"

I nod.

"It's his family. They have two twin girls your age—your cousins Silas and Serena."

"Silas is a nice name." I whisper.

"Yeah." He replies. "It is. Would you like to come see them?"

I release a heavy breath. "I'm tired."

His lips tilt up at the corners. "You want me to carry you down like I used to?"

I find myself smiling tentatively, too. I shake my head and wrap my arms around myself, sitting up. He looks relieved at the simple action.

"Come on." He whispers.

I climb out of bed, and his smile widens. I find that I feel a little better now. A little freer. Maybe it's the side effects of the drugs, but if only proves that it's best if I take them.

I hold his hand as he leads me out, not realising that I'm squeezing it until he gently begins to rub my palm with the pad of his thumb.

We get downstairs within a minute, and he leads me into the living room, stepping in before me.

I pause when I see the amount of people in here, beginning to feel claustrophobic immediately.

     "Amalia, these are your cousins." My dad tells me.

     I look around, pausing when my eyes land on a partially familiar face. It takes me a moment to realise that it's the girl who's friend sold me the drugs that put me to sleep only a few hours ago.

     Her gaze clashes with mine, and I look away, my eyes widening a little bit.

     "Where's Archer?" I ask, looking up as I turn away from her and to my dad.

"He's in his room." He tells me softly. "Why don't you go see him after—Amalia."

I rush out of the room, then up the stairs. I walk over to Archers door and knock twice. "Archer?"

The door opens a moment later, and a look of relief washes over his face as he grabs me, wrapping me up in a hug. He leans back on the door, closing it and leaning on the wood, planting a kiss in my hair.

"Are you okay?" He asks me.

I nod into his chest. He kisses my cheek this time, over and over and over again. My eyes water.

"I'm sorry." I whisper.

"Shh." He replies. "You don't have anything to be sorry for."

My eyes water more. A tear slips down my cheek but his white t-shirt absorbs it. He runs his fingers through my hair, then kisses my cheek. "I love you."

"I love you too." I whisper.

He plants a kiss on the corner of my mouth, then suddenly lifts me up, wrapping my arms around his waist as he carries me over to the bed. He lays ms down beside him, then curls an arm around my waist, pulling my back against his chest. I melt into him.

"We're spooning." I mumble.

He huffs out a laugh, hot breath grazing the back of my neck as he pulls the duvet over us. He kisses my cheek.

"Where's Ally?" I ask.

"In her room." He tells me. "Playing with dolls. Your cousin Silas was playing with her before. She kept making her doll beat up Ally's doll. Ally started scolding her, it was so cute."

I smile, but it fades when the realisation hits—Silas. She's the one who's friends gave me the drugs. She's the one who could reveal everything to my family and land me in major shit.

I turn around, facing Archer before wrapping my arms around his waist and leaning my forehead on his shoulder. He encases me within his arms, protecting me from the horrible world around us.

"Amalia." Archer whispers.

     "What?" I grumble.

     "Your dad is here." He tells me.

     I peel my eyes open, looking up at Archer. My eyes slide to my father, standing beside me.

     "Sweetheart." He says. "You need to go to bed."

     "I am." I mumble, shuffling closer to Archer before snuggling into his warmth.

     Their voices become low as they speak. A moment later my dad is leaning down to press a kiss on my cheek. "You can stay here." He says.

     And then I fall back asleep.

I wake up with Archer on top of me, his cheek resting on the top of my hair, his strong arms wrapped around me securely. I look up at him, admiring him completely at peace for a few moments.

     As if he's able to sense that I'm awake, Archer cracks an eye open and looks at me, his gaze soft.

     "Good morning." He whispers.

     "Morning." I mumble. "What time is it?"

     "Five a.m." He replies, glancing at his phone.

     I roll my eyes and lean back, closing my eyes again.

     "Do you wanna watch the sun come up?" He asks me softly.

     "I'm tired." I whisper.

     He rolls off of me, then leans down, lifting me up easily so he's carrying me bridal style. "Come on."

I laugh tiredly. "What are you doing?"

     "Practicing." I hear him mumble before he says louder: "I wanna watch the sunrise."

I sigh but let him carry me, adjusting my eyes to the small light emitting from the moon that shines through the windows and looking up at his sharp jaw as he carries me downstairs, then into the back garden. He sets me down on a patio chair, then takes the one right beside me, his hand closing over mine.

He looks out at the horizon, which is beginning to brighten. "How are you feeling?"

"Fine." I respond.

"Are you sure?" He asks.

I nod. "Are you?"

He nods, then looks away quickly. Then he looks back at me. "I'm sorry I didn't do more to help you. They—Ally—"

"I understand." I whisper. "You don't have to apologise for wanting to protect your sister, Archer."

His eyes soften. "I should've tried to protect you too, though."

"I was fine." I assure him gently. "You don't need to worry about me."

He frowns. "I'll always worry about you."

I glance away. "Have you seen your mum?"

He nods. "She came to see us when we got back, while you were sleeping. Ally wanted to go back with her. But she said no. I wanted to go back with her, too." He turns to me, eyes widened a little bit. "Not that I don't want to stay here, I just.."

"You wanted your mum." I finish for him.

An embarrassed blush heats his cheeks as he nods. My heart softens, and I squeeze his hand.

"Why did she say no?"

He sighs. "She says she wants us back when she's stable enough. Ally didn't understand that, though. She was crying. She only calmed down before your cousins came, and playing with Silas helped her a bit."

"Did you talk to her?" I ask.

"A little bit."

Jealously sparks within me. "About what?"

His lips tick up at the corners. "I said goodbye to her when she left the room. Why?"

     I shrug.

     He laughs.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

114K 2.6K 69
"Isa," he began, his voice softer than usual. "I need you to understand something." She looked up at him, waiting. "I can't stand the thought of anyo...
12M 345K 76
** Currently in the progress of being rewritten :)** - Angel Romano was known for his ruthless ways. They said he was a supposed duplicate of his fat...
2.4M 52.2K 42
****Edited Version Now Available on Amazon****** 16-year-old Lydia Tonelli has six overprotective, overbearing, and overly involved brothers. Born t...
23.1K 394 36
Kiara is an eighteen years old girl who lived on her own since she was sixteen Then, out of nowhere, she found herself in the care of her brothers t...