The Darkness Within Us

By Book_addict_44

The beautiful cover is by @hiahere ◇◇◇◇◇ A young woman, Celine is living most of her life in New York City, b... More

Dedication
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5

Chapter 3

23 8 24
By Book_addict_44

I entered the building, feeling anxious and nervous. I definitely shouldn't be meeting that guy again but given that he knows my name, there's also a chance that he knows my address too. It's better to end it here and at least, Henry would know that I'm here.

"Celine, how are you?" Henry asked as he spotted me walking up the stairs of the building.

"I'm alright, thank you. I brought you some coffee and was thinking of catching up on your life" I passed him his coffee before taking the seat beside him.

"Oh dear, there's nothing happening in this old man's life but there's something definitely happening in yours, considering the handsome man waiting for you on the rooftop," He took a sip of his coffee before giving me a smug look.

"Henry, there's nothing going on between us," I let out a nervous chuckle.

"Whatever floats your boat. But I have to say, he's good man. He didn't had to help me earlier but he did,"

"Help with what?" I asked, curiously .

"Moving about 20 heavy boxes to the first floor but that man made it seem like they were just some soft toys," He chuckled and took a sip of his coffee.

"Oh dear, don't let me hold you now. Go have fun with your man,"

"Henry, for the last time, there's nothing going on between us," I muttered as he ushered me towards the elevator.

"Whatever you say!" He called out before the elevator's door closed.

Maybe I should've told Henry about that guy but now that he had helped Henry and became good in his eyes, I don't know if he'll believe me.

I let out a sigh as I stepped out of the elevator .

I can do this. There's nothing to be nervous about. Get a grip!

I spotted him as I stepped on the rooftop. He was sitting on the same chair, his back facing me. For a minute, I admired him. He was wearing a suit again even though it's Sunday and his hair was just like how it was that day. Messy yet perfect.

Are all stalkers this hot?

"You can take a picture. It'll last longer," He said without turning back.

"I wasn't looking at you," I lied as I sat on the chair beside him.

"Yeah, sure," He let out a small laugh and I felt strangely proud that I made him do that.

Oh my lord, Celine, Get a grip!

"I have to admit, I didn't think you would come," He said while glancing at me.

"Neither did I, but here I am. So, let's get one thing cleared. Did you stalked me?" I asked while looking directly at his emerald eyes.

"No," He said just as something flashed in his eyes.

"Then how the hell do you know my name?" I questioned.

"I had read your book, 'The Scars'. It was really good by the way. I may have also did some little searching on your biography," He replied.

What? This guy read my book?

Guess Mia was right.

"Oh...what about my number? How did you got that?" I asked.

"From the NYU office. You do know right that I too, go to NYU?"

Wait a min he does?

I looked at him, trying to recall if I had saw him before. Suddenly I remembered seeing him in one of my lectures. He was sitting at a far back corner so I couldn't see his face properly. Maybe that's why I didn't remembered him.

"Oh yeah. I'm so sorry. I actually don't pay much attention to anyone other than the professor during lectures," I said as heat crawled up my neck.

There's no need to be embarrassed.

"Oh no it's fine. So as I was going to say I have an offer for you," He turned towards, his face becoming serious.

"What offer?" I asked.

"Look this is going to be a lot of take in," He started and I could feel myself getting more nervous.

"I know that you are a controller and so-"

"I have no clue what you are saying," I cut him off.

"Maybe you just don't know what that means. A controller is the one who can bend actual matter into their own will. Who can bend the rules of gravity and maybe even create their own. And you're one of them," He explained.

What the-

"Look, I don't know what you're talking about. You've got the wrong person," I said sharply. I got up and about to leave before he spoke up in a calm yet deadly voice.

"I know what happened that night."

I was frozen in place, unable to move. I was left stunned and speechless while I fought my mind not to retrace the events of that night. I couldn't bring myself to step back when he moved closer to me.

"I know what you did," He said in low voice while looking directly in my eyes.

"You're lying," I said as my voice wavered a bit.

"I wish I was," He whispered.

"Who are you?" I asked.

"That I can't disclose, till you accept the offer,"

Suddenly I became aware of the distance between us and moved away, towards the end of the rooftop. I leaned on the railing and looked at the city below us.

"So what's the offer?" I asked in a clipped tone.

I felt him move behind me and lean on the railing beside me. For a minute, I thought I saw him hesitating as if he doesn't want to say what he's going to.

"There were people like you out there. Controllers. Until every last one of them were gone. We were all working for a society called the Dark Society. It had been founded way back, when the Empire of Atlantis used to exist. However, the Society is in danger now. It's falling apart. The last time this had happened was 200 years ago.

And the only person who has a small chance to save it is you. The last controller." He looked at me, his eyes shining with something I can't understand. As if I was his last hope.

"Do you actually want me to believe this shit?" I asked in a monotonous voice.

"No, but it's up to you if you want to believe it or not. What I will say is that, if you do accept to help us, you'll be getting money in return too," He uttered.

"how much?"

Why am I even considering this?

"Maximum 6 figures," He replied nonchalantly.

I was quite for while, calculating the cons and pros of this deal. The only reason I'm even considering this is because soon, I'll be in debt when the money of my parent's Will be gone.

"What do you mean by 'us'? You said that every person like me is gone. Who else is left in the Society?" I asked, growing more and more suspicious of him.

"I can't tell you much but there are other people with different ability to yours. But we don't have a controller, who is the only hope left for saving the Society. Which is why I'm offering you to join our Society, become a medium and help us," He said with a hint of desperation in his voice.

I let out a bitter laugh at his comment.

"What makes you think I'll believe your shit and accept this bullshit offer?" I remarked.

"Because I'm sure you don't want the people in your life know what kind of a person you are,"

I looked at him, stunned as a chill went down my spine. His eyes hold mine like a dangerous threat, unwilling to back down.

After a minute, I looked away into the busy streets of New York. I let out a sigh before speaking up

"I need some time to think about this," I said.

"Of course, take your time and if you still have doubts about this being true or not, then maybe what you have inside you is just a hallucination made by your mind," That was the last thing he said before turning back and leaving me alone on the rooftop, gazing down at the lights that filled the city.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

276K 13.5K 61
My name is Alex Cruz, I'm a omega, so I'm just a punching bag to my pack. But Emma, Queen of werewolves Sam, queen of dragons Winter, queen of vampi...
256K 10.1K 32
""SIT THERE AND TAKE IT LIKE A GOOD GIRL"" YOU,DIRTY,DIRTY GIRL ,I WAS TALKING ABOUT THE BOOK🌝🌚
32.5K 1.3K 11
Oc female Jackson x Hermes x Apollo x Ares
36.4K 3.3K 19
A Royal family renowned for their illustrious name and fame, A family full of pride and rage, A Family for which everyone bows their head - The Agnih...