Topping the Enemy (Werewolf S...

By LeonardoMontero531

Pulled into a war he never asked to be a part of. Landon Barnett was groomed from birth to succeed his father... More

Chapter 1: Heartless
Chapter 2: Who You Are
Chapter 3: Rude Boy
Chapter 4: Hello, Brother
Chapter 5: Someone You Loved
Chapter 6: I Feel It Coming
Chapter 7: Hold On
Chapter 8: No One Knows Me
Chapter 9: The Night We Met
Chapter 10: On My Own
Chapter 11: No Tears Left to Cry
Chapter 12: It's A Heartache
Chapter 13: Whataya Want from Me
Chapter 14: Hit Me With Your Best Shot
Chapter 15: Look What You Made Me Do
Chapter 16: Come Back Home
Chapter 17: Heal The Pain
Chapter 18: In These Arms
Chapter 19: [Don't You Wanna] Stay
Chapter 20: Since U Been Gone
Chapter 21: Tell It to My Heart
Chapter 22: No More Lonely Nights
Chapter 23: Unholy
Chapter 24: Beggin'
Chapter 25: When You Believe
Chapter 26: We Found Love
Chapter 27: You Made Me Love You
Chapter 28: Give Me Love
Chapter 30: One Kiss
Chapter 31: Up Where We Belong
Chapter 32: Take a Bow | Bloom
Chapter 33: Sacrifice
Chapter 34: Goodies
Chapter 35: Give In To Me
Chapter 36: Wish You Were Here
Chapter 37: Something's Got A Hold On Me
Chapter 38: If I Was Your Woman
Chapter 39: Like a Virgin
Chapter 40: For The First Time
Chapter 41: Together Forever
Chapter 42: All About That Bass
Chapter 43: Angel Baby | Soldier
Chapter 44: The Power Of Love
Chapter 45: We've Got Tonight
Chapter 46: Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
Chapter 47: Let's Hear It for the Boy
Chapter 48: What Hurts The Most
Chapter 49: Without You
Chapter 50: It's A Man's Man's Man's World
Chapter 51: In The Air Tonight
Chapter 52: Tearin' Up My Heart
Chapter 53: Bleeding Love
Chapter 54: Lost Without U
Chapter 55: How Am I Supposed To Live Without You
Chapter 56: Don't Start Now | When You're Gone
Chapter 57: Marked For Death
Chapter 58: No Time to Die
Chapter 59: You're All I Need To Get By
Chapter 60: Breathe Again | As Long As You Love Me
Chapter 61: Adore You
Chapter 62: Thank God I Found You
Chapter 63: Die Another Day
Chapter 64: I Hate Myself for Loving You
Chapter 65: Don't Lie
Chapter 66: Rhiannon
Chapter 67: Can't Back Down
Chapter 68: Ain't No Mountain High Enough

Chapter 29: Lights Up

1.1K 45 14
By LeonardoMontero531

Harry

I woke up having had the best night's sleep ever.

Granted, it wasn't as good as when my mate and I went down on each other, but I was able to finally rest my mind on the comfort that is being properly mated.

Not properly bonded, sure. But I've accepted my mate and he accepted me, though in not so many words but I am pretty sure he does. I couldn't resist sleeping on his bed last night.

His sweet scent is more calming to me than any herbal tea. More beneficial to my health than any medicine. I just basked in his warm embrace and drifted off to sleep. Honestly, I was in heaven under the protection of his arms.

"Happy birthday, Harry. May the Goddess always keep you happy, healthy and preferably in my bed." Landon wished me as we woke up together. Funny enough, we did nothing except kiss last night, but I had the best of times.

"Thank you, Landon. I really appreciate your patience with me. Thanks for being the best mate I could have ever asked for." I said, swooning at him.

We kissed each other, then I had to get back to my room to change clothes and brush my teeth before breakfast. Unfortunately, I couldn't escape the "walk of shame" throughout the long hall between the guest wing and the Alpha wing of the pack house. Though I don't particularly care that people think I spent the night with my mate, I am not breaking any laws.

After I completed my morning routine, I am ready to face the Barnetts and everything the day has in store for me. Or so I thought.

When I entered the dining room for breakfast, all the Barnetts gave me a hug and wished me a happy birthday. But the best one is the little girl, Ella. She is so freaking adorable. My brother also wished me a happy birthday.

"Are you sure it's okay that my birthday can be celebrated here, Luna? I don't need anything fancy." I told her, still a bit apprehensive about the dinner party in my honor.

"Positive. It's not gonna be anything fancy. Just a three course meal for your family and friends." Luna said, smiling radiantly at me. I could tell she was glad to do it, so I am happy that she is happy.

"Is my mate coming too, Alpha?" Aaron asked Landon in a low tone, tentatively.

Landon turned to glance at Aaron, who was sitting by my side and across from him, with a frown.

"I have invited her, of course. If she's coming with you here, that's another matter." He replied in a dry tone. I felt the sting in that answer, but it's best if we don't sugar coat it with these things.

My brother lowered his head, sorrowfully. I cannot help but feel bad for him. We may butt heads a lot, but I want him to be happy. He is my brother and will always be.

"Hang in there, Aaron. I'm sure everything is gonna be fine in the end. Just be respectful of her process. Be present if she needs you, but don't push her. Whatever you do, don't push her!" I told him in a hopeful tone.

"I know, Harry. I'm not pushing anything onto anyone. I would just like to be near her if I'm allowed." He spoke in a saddened tone.

"Right now the best thing that you can do is to try to give her some space. If she wants, she knows where to find you." Landon chimed in, thoughtfully.

"I appreciate the advice, Alpha. I promise you I'll leave your house after tonight." Aaron said, awkwardly. Luna Felicia glared at her son, who felt the mom glare.

"I wasn't throwing you out of our house, Aaron. I meant to give Rhiannon some space. Stay for as long as you want." He was quick to amend, uncomfortably.

"It's fine, Alpha. I can take a hint. I don't want to mope around in your home. I just wanted a chance with my mate, but you're right. If she wants to see me, she knows where I am." Aaron said with some resignation in his voice that was heartbreaking to hear.

Yeah, this is really uncomfortable. But if anyone can relate to my brother it's Landon. So, you know, empathy is king.

After breakfast, Landon had his Alpha duties. I asked Luna Felicia to direct me to a barber shop, so I can get my hair done. I need to look my best for the dinner party.

When I returned, I was surprised to see Spencer inside the living room waiting for me.

"You do realize dinner is usually at night, right? What are you doing here so early?" I gaped at his presence. I didn't expect to see him this soon today.

"I came to whoop your ass for not telling me about the miracle mate. I also came to hug you because I've missed you." He replied and I melted. I missed him too, even though it's been less than a week since we last saw each other.

Spencer and I hugged for a while. Then, we sat on the couch and spent an hour talking at length about the recent developments, including the successful meet and greet.

Though our pack right now is all the rage with the news of the 'miracle second chance mate'. They are saying the Goddess intervened in our pack so that my brother could go back to being Alpha like he was born to be. It's laughable and at the same time totally reasonable. If it weren't for the small fact that she rejected him, which they also know by now.

Unlike other believers out there, we werewolves get constant proof our deity is alive and watching over us. Because the minute she stops is the time when werewolves would no longer be paired by her. Can you imagine the mayhem?

I know I resisted her pairing for a long time, but Goddess protects me from becoming like humans and having to date a million people to find your soulmate. No, I prefer our way, thank you very much.

I invited Spencer to have lunch with me and the Barnetts, but he told me he didn't want to impose on them with a last minute visit. I talked to Luna Felicia who smiled and welcomed him like the true Luna she is.

I guess it's a good thing that the cooks are bountiful with their meals.

"Thank you for allowing me in your house, Luna. I was supposed to come for dinner, but I missed my friend too much." He told her once we sat together to have lunch.

"Of course! Any friend of Harry's is a friend of ours." She smiled cordially.

"I'm surprised to see you here, Spence." Aaron said and by his tone, I already wanted to shut him up.

"Why? Am I not supposed to celebrate my best friend's birthday?" He snapped back at him, peeved.

"Not at all. Good for you for moving on so quickly." He smirked and I lost it.

I slammed the table hard and angrily.

"You son of a bitch! Have some goddamn respect for my friend or I swear I'll have you removed from here! I don't know why the hell you of all people got a second mate, but you are light years from ever deserving one! Rhiannon was smart to reject you!" I barked at him, fuming. My eyes are glowing in rage right now as I cannot contain myself.

Spencer was clearly bothered by his insinuation, but I was beside myself angry.

Aaron was absolutely distraught by my words, gutted even. But I am very protective of my friends and the ones I love, especially Spencer.

I touched Spencer's hand and softly caressed him. Once I was more calm, I addressed the Barnetts.

"I apologize for my outburst and for yelling. But my brother who is also a widower should have more empathy towards his fellow pack members. It's a miracle that we're all sat here today and it'll be another miracle once the rest of my family arrives later this evening. But I firmly believe in healing and unity within the werewolf community. I'm deeply thankful for Spencer to have made the trip and I thank Goddess everyday for having him in my life. I love you, Spence." I spoke, emotionally. Both him and I are on the verge of tears.

"I love you too, Harry." He spoke with a loving gaze, tears dropping from his face.

"I'm deeply sorry for my part in the loss of your mate. Please accept my sincere condolences." Landon told Spencer, remorsefully.

"I'm sorry too, Spencer. It was wrong of me to make any comment regarding your loss. Of course you're not over him. We will never be over them." Aaron spoke, regretful.

"I also believe in healing and unity of our community, which is why I open my house to whoever comes with an open heart and good intention." Luna Felicia said with a poignant glance at my brother, who gulped awkwardly.

Damn, dinners at the pack house are so eventful. And the day is only half way through!

After that uncomfortable lunch, I took Spencer to my room to rest up and recollect himself. It was an incredibly callous thing to say to him, coming from another person whose mate was killed by this pack, it seemed more hypocritical than ever.

Fortunately, I was determined to not let that minor incident derail my night. This is my day, my birthday and nothing will get in the way of celebrating me. I freaking deserve it!

Later that night, my family was welcomed by a very well dressed Felicia and Landon. They were certainly dressed to impress and I was glad I had Spencer raid my wardrobe for some additional clothes - fit for the occasion - before he came in today. What are friends for, am I right?

Luna Felicia took my parents for a tour of the house, while Landon waited for his friends to arrive.

"Oh great. You're here." I rolled my eyes at the sight of Grayson next to his mate. Both of the men were looking good, I have to admit. What a great looking couple.

"Happy birthday, roomie! I would have brought a gift, but I was invited on such short notice." He snickered and I resisted a growl.

"Your presence is the gift, Gray. Good evening, Stavo. How is my favorite couple doing?" Landon smiled at them contently.

"Surprised, mostly. Why is the reject here?" Grayson replied, glancing at me.

"It's my birthday!" I snarled at him.

"Play nice, Gray. Be good to your future Luna." Landon said, causing the boys' eyes to almost leave their eye sockets.

"Wait. He finally accepted you? It's a miracle!" Gustavo celebrated, radiantly.

Landon couldn't hide his proud smile. And I was happy for us, I just wish HE wasn't here.

The young couple went along to the dining hall while we waited for the rest of the guests.

"Good evening, Landon. How is it that we talked yesterday and you didn't tell me today was your mate's birthday?" Rhiannon questioned him with a suspicious stare. She was a true vision in a dazzling red dress.

"Wow. You look stunning!" I'm baffled by her, genuinely. Not that she is usually unattractive.

"Thank you, Harry. Happy birthday!" She smiled and gave me a hug.

"I didn't know it was his birthday until your mate told us last night." Landon replied and she grimaced.

"Don't remind me, please. It's bad enough that he's still here." She sulked, walking into the direction of the dining hall.

"I'm sorry. Just ignore him." I said to her, not exactly pleased that he is here either. Especially not after what he said to Spencer earlier.

"Good evening, Landon. Only your mother can pull off a last minute dinner party. She even had my father rearrange my work schedule." Ares said as he entered, looking dapper in a classic outfit with a touch of modern style. Damn, that boy is handsome in whatever he puts on.

"That's my mother for you. I wouldn't even think of doing that." Landon was in awe of her. And so was I. That's some huge shoes to fill.

"Happy birthday, Harrison. I hope it's to your liking." Ares handed me a gift and I smiled at him.

"Thank you, Ares. You didn't need to give me anything." I said, contently.

"Of course I did. What kind of lunatic comes to a birthday party without a gift?" He said in a raised voice.

"I like you, Ares. Even if you're impossibly handsome." I snickered.

"I like you too. And yes, I am." He winked at me playfully. I laughed at this silliness.

We walked together to the dining hall to find the table set beautifully. Luna set out a gorgeous ornament, a centerpiece. She even had a birthday cake baked for later.

Aaron was practically drooling over his mate. My parents were talking to Felicia and Javier. Gustavo was busy with his mate. Rhiannon was ignoring my brother. Ares was feeling his oats.

"Thank you all for being here tonight..."

"I'm so sorry, Luna. Can you give it just one more second? My friend Spencer is a little late. I do apologize." I said, interrupting her.

"Sure, Harry. It's your evening." She smiled at me, cordial as ever.

"And he was the first one to arrive. Imagine if he was driving here now." Landon smirked, to which I glared at him.

"That's because you haven't seen Grayson trying on ten outfits before going to a college mixer." I snickered, catching the mated couple's attention.

"Good one, Staedler. Is this the same Spencer who goes to college with you?" He asked me, not amused.

"With us, yeah it is. But I'm about to send a rescue party if he doesn't arrive in 10 seconds." I sneered. This isn't a wedding and he's not the bride.

"I'm so sorry for being late." - He came in at last. - "There was a wardrobe malfunction." He apologized, blushing under the collective stares.

"It's not the Oscars, Spencer. Take a seat." I grunted at him, impatiently.

As I said that, I noticed that Rhiannon was looking oddly at someone across from her at the table. Not only her, but my parents, Felicia, Javier were all staring with weird expressions at someone who was sitting to my right.

"Why is everyone staring at..."

"MATE!" Ares announced it and the collective gasp could be heard in the busy kitchen. His eyes were glowing bright as he glanced at my best friend.

All of us were in awe at the scene. It took Spencer a while to understand what was happening. I am legitimately shocked, everyone is.

"Is this some sort of prank? A joke on me?" Spencer cried out, revolted.

Yeah, I've seen this film before.

"I don't think it is." I replied in a low tone.

"But I'm not an Alpha! I'm nobody! Why would I get a second (chance) mate?" He resisted, wide eyed as Ares continued to stare at him transfixed.

"What the hell is happening in our pack?" Aaron gasped, then he glanced at his mate who glared at him for the intrusion.

"I'm sorry, but he must be mistaken. I can't be his mate. I'm already mated." Spencer refused to believe. He got up from his seat to leave, but as he did that, so did Ares who rushed across the room to his side.

It happened so fast, the rest of us barely had any time to react.

"What are you doing? Get off of me!" Spencer tried to get Ares away from him, but to no avail. Ares kissed him on the lips for a few seconds before Spencer slapped him off him.

"What the hell, man! Who kisses someone against their will?" Spencer was fuming, rubbing his lips to get rid of any trace of the kiss.

Ares finally took some much needed distance from him. I got up from my seat to comfort my friend.

"I'm so sorry!" I tried to console him, shell shocked.

"It's not your fault, Harry. It's the freak who forced himself on me." He shot back, furious at Ares.

"That's not why I'm sorry." I said, pitying him. The guests are all watching this play out like a scene from a movie. For those of us who watched the same thing happen to Rhiannon, it's just a matter of time before the confirmation comes.

What a birthday to remember. And here I thought the biggest event of the night would be me blowing out 21 candles. Now my friend's life is never going to be the same again.

A|N: BOOM!

Step into the light, Spencer. You are never going back.

Team #Spares

Love,

Léo.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

366K 16.3K 32
Wren Arroyo's wolf was broken. Born without a complete sense of smell, Wren knew he would never have that magical moment when true mates smell each o...
350K 17K 58
(Completed MXM) In a kingdom of wolves, a prince dwells with an unappealing attitude and a way of distancing himself from anything that deals with 'l...
138K 4.7K 28
Branson Williams, it's his last year in school, and he finds out who his mate is this year. He is openly gay, so he's not surprised when his mate tur...
69.9K 3.2K 45
Liam Forsythe was not dealt an easy hand. On the day he was born, his dad, family and their entire wolf pack were massacred by a rival. The only reas...