Always, Tulip

By Maureentab

~complete~ But what would happen when a military captain who barely talks meets an overly joyous girl who wor... More

▫️Preface
▫️One
▫️Two
▫️Three
▫️Four
▫️Five
▫️Six
▫️Seven
▫️Eight
▫️Nine
▫️Ten
▫️Eleven
▫️Twelve
▫️Thirteen
▫️Fourteen
▫️Fifteen
▫️ Sixteen
▫️ Seventeen
▫️ Eighteen
▫️ Nineteen
▫️Twenty
▫️Twenty-two
▫️ Twenty-three
▫️Twenty-four
▫️Twenty-five
▫️Twenty-six
▫️ Twenty-seven
▫️Twenty-eight
▫️Twenty-nine
▫️Thirty
▫️ Thirty-one
▫️Thirty-two
▫️ Thirty-three
▫️Thirty-four
▫️ Thirty-five
▫️ Thirty-six
▫️ Thirty-seven
▫️Thirty-eight
▫️Thirty-nine
▫️Forty
▫️ Forty-one
▫️Forty-two
Extra : proposal
▫️Forty-three
▫️Forty-four
▫️ Epilogue
Author's note
🔸Bonus | 1
🔹Bonus | 2
🔸Bonus | 3

▫️Twenty-one

18.1K 558 70
By Maureentab

Ginelle's pov

"Dal really enjoyed the bread you send over," Lora was seated across me round a small table as I helped her unpack the boxes that had arrived earlier this morning.

"Mama baked those just for him," I smiled knowing he had definitely liked the cookies too. They had become his favorite since I first offered them to him three years ago.

"Thank you," she took my hand, a grateful look on her face and I nodded in return. Lora was a strong woman. I admired how she managed herself, work and even her own family.

She carried out everything with a great poise and I greatly respected her for that but even when she appeared unbreakable on the surface, I knew there was a tender spot that she tried to hide.

Her husband. He was mostly away because of work and it was usually confidential since he was an FBI agent. I knew she would get restless not knowing about his whereabouts though she always tried to appear calm and collected.

"How is Mike?" I asked hesitantly knowing it was a hard subject for her. Her smile faltered but she assured me that he was fine. He was apparently working on a new case but had promised to come home in a week's time.

I hoped he would keep his word because it had been a while since Dalton saw his father. His ninth birthday was just coming up and I knew it was Dal's wish for him to be there.

"What about your friend, how is he?" I instantly blushed as I tried to busy myself with unpacking the books. A smile played on my lips that I didn't try to hide.

"He's also doing great," she coyly raised her left eyebrow and I playfully slapped her arm away. A small laugh escaped her and I grinned since she now appeared relaxed.

The week had passed by too quickly. My parents had stayed for the most of it but work had eventually caught up with them and they had left two days ago. I had so much fun in the few days we had together.

We had gone to the beach and had evening walks. One of those days we ran into Louis and Leila who had then joined us. I enjoyed our time there as we splashed water at each other and played like children.

Leila had also payed me a visit yesterday. She showed me all the pictures she had taken with Louis giving me all the details of what they had done. Some of which I thought were too personal but she had no filter.

Throughout the week, I spoke with Grey every night before bed. He usually asked how my day was, what I had done and I confided most things to him.

I also send him the fruits I had promised after mama had urged me to, one of the reasons I believed she had listened into our conversation earlier.

I didn't stay at his place for long because papa believed I was out buying groceries and Grey too needed to work on something. We hadn't seen each other physically after that and I missed him.

"Thinking about him?" Lora smirked after I zoned out. I attempted to deny her claim though the doorbell saved me as Jordan and Dalton pushed their way in.

Dalton rushed to hug Lora first then bountied towards me after tossing his school bag on the floor. Jo picked the bag rolling his eyes in annoyance.

"Elle, I learned skating today." He told me about his PE teacher who had chosen him to lead the rest of the class and about a boy named Jace who he had trained with.

"We shall come to race one day, yeah?" I wasn't good at sports but I would give it a try later on. Dalton nodded but his attention shifted to something else as he tugged my arm.

"I wanted to invite Mayella to my birthday party but she wasn't at school, is she sick?" He spoke all at once in a pout and I could tell that he was slightly upset.

I shook my head having not heard about it but promised that I would ask Grey and also invite them all to his party. He seemed satisfied with my answer as he smiled and walked back to Lora.

I saw Jordan re-appear from the back and I slowly approached him smiling till I took the seat beside him. I needed to ask a favor from him so I grinned all the more.

"I'm going to leave early today, will you help me process the book delivery for tomorrow?" I was starting to have a slight headache and I couldn't stay put working.

"I'll buy you two milkshakes," I attempted to bribe when my smile didn't work but Jo seemed to know me better. I never left work unless something was up.

"Feeling unwell?" He placed the back of his hand over my forehead. I slightly shook my head since I didn't want to worry anyone. Headaches were common when working.

"Of course I'll help you, go rest." I smiled in triumph and hugged him. After thanking him again and telling Lora that I would be leaving, I headed home.

I took the bus as usual but the throbbing of my head had me uncomfortably shifting in my seat. I drank more water to soothe the pain but it didn't seem to be helping.

I alighted at my stop and slowly walked to my apartment. Perhaps I could take a nap for the headache to shimmer down. I knew sleeping solved half of my problems.

Taking off my shoes as soon as I had walked in, I plopped myself on the sofa and covered my lower body with a small blanket that was lying around.

I clutched my head painfully as I closed my eyes but sleep seemed far away. The pain only intensified and when I felt a growing ache on my tummy, I rushed to the washroom.

I knew what this was about.

I changed into some comfortable pants and curled back into my spot on the sofa. I should have known this wasn't a normal headache.

I was now slightly relaxed knowing that I wasn't exactly sick but the cutting pain had me holding my abdomen tighter. I squirmed on the sofa trying to hold back from crying.

I groaned as I reached for my phone that had been ringing non-stop. I didn't have the energy in me to talk but I still picked up and croaked out an hello as I lay back down.

"Tulip," my eyes opened when I heard Grey speak. He never called this early so I wasn't expecting his call yet. I tried to seat straighter but my tummy only hurt the more.

"Grey?" I attempted to even out my voice as I bit my lower lip. There were voices around him and I assumed he wasn't home yet.

"Yes sweetheart, you're at work?" He asked and for a minute I was lost in his voice. I found it comforting that for a moment I didn't feel my body aching.

"No, I just got home." He hummed softly and went quiet. I waited on the line and just when I was about to call his name again, he spoke.

"Can I take you out for dinner tonight?" My eyes widened a fraction and I swallowed, nervously playing with the thread on my sweater.

Dinner? Like a date?

I obviously would have accepted but my body wasn't in a position to move around. I tried to think of the fitting words to decline but the call suddenly ended and I stared at the screen anxiously.

Was it because I hadn't answered or did he suddenly change his mind? I pressed on his contact though I hesitated dialling. He was probably upset. With a sigh, I placed the phone on the table.

I turned to face the other side as I let my sorrows take over me. I pressed my hands over my stomach to ease my pain though it seemed to spread to my back.

I made a mental note to call Grey later tonight when I got better. Right now I just closed my eyes so as to focus on anything else other my pain.

After maintaining the same position for a while, I felt sleep start to slowly take over me. I clenched my shirt in a fist as my eyes fluttered shut but I jumped when the doorbell rang.

Just when I had gotten comfortable, sigh. I steadily sat up and tried to straighten the lower part of my shirt that was crumbled. With slow steps, I went to open the door.

I leaned on the wall by the door to avoid staggering then slowly opened for the person. I hoped it wasn't my nosy neighbour because I couldn't stand for long.

"Ginelle," I lazily looked up and furrowed my eyes when I saw Grey holding onto the doorframe. He seemed to catch his breath and at the same time assess me from head to toe.

"What are you doing here?" I asked surprised as his chest continued to heave up and down. Had he been running, I wondered to myself.

"You didn't sound okay on the phone," I blinked trying to process his words. How he had noticed that was beyond me, I had tried to talk naturally.

I felt lightheaded that I slightly stumbled but I held my palm on the wall to steady myself. He swiftly came to my side and took hold of my free hand.

"You're unwell," he worriedly looked at my face as he softly cupped my cheeks. His brows were creased as he stared deep into my dull eyes.

Without warning he picked me up and brought me back to the sofa I was previously laying on. He gently placed me down then knelt down beside me taking hold of my hands.

"Where does it hurt?" He was apprehensive as he covered my exposed arms. "Did you take any medicine, should we go to the hospital?" He framed my hair out of my face.

"It's okay, I'm fine." I shook my head but his attention went to my tummy that I had been clutching. "It's normal," I added when he looked back at me and for a moment his face changed.

"What can I do to help?" He surprised me by asking further. Normally I always kept to my pain and just lie down till I got better. Now however with Grey this worried I didn't know what to say.

"Soup, I'll make some for you?" He trailed off as if to make sure that it was fine. I gave him a small smile and nodded and he went to my kitchen after covering me properly.

I focused on his presence in my apartment as I lay on my stomach listening to his movements. He prepared the soup so fast because he was done in less than twenty minutes.

Grey then came in with a small white round bowl. He set it on the table before me then helped me sit upright. He stared at me still worried though I attempted a smile.

"Just a minute for it to cool," he stirred the solution while blowing over. After he was done, he scooted closer to me attempting to feed me but I shook my head.

He looked displeased when I started to eat by myself but I couldn't just let him do everything for me. I could feel his stare as I continued to take small sips.

He framed some of my hair that was getting in the way behind my ear. The soup was very tasty and it really helped. I felt energized for a bit and not gloomy as I was earlier.

"Feeling better?" He asked after taking away the empty bowl. I nodded looking up at him as he still stood in front of me. He scratched the back of his neck while avoiding my eyes.

"C-cuddles?" He shifted to the left while pocketing his hands as if to appear nonchalant but I could tell how anxiously he tapped his feet as he anticipated my answer.

With a small nod of my head he relaxed and started to take off the black leather jacket he was wearing. He gazed down at me after putting it aside as I fluttered my lashes at him.

I moved towards one side to give him some room where he could lie down. After relaxing on his back, he gently tugged me to him while staring into my eyes.

"Just relax," he whispered into my hair as he pulled me over half of his body. I curled into him when his hands lay on my back, moving up and down over my thin shirt.

I rested my head on top of his sturdy chest with his chin resting at the top of my head. He tilted his head to the side and softly kissed my temple before holding me tighter.

At this point I didn't know who needed the hug more.

His hands slipped from my back to my tummy, calmly drawing circles for me to relax. His hands, though large and rough, were extremely gentle as he massaged me.

"If it gets unbearable just tell me, mmh?" He continued to softly rub my belly and I nodded into his warm chest wrapping my arms around him.

I tugged the edges of his hair on his neck as I listened to the steady beat of his heart under my left cheek. I couldn't express how grateful I was for the days Grey had been there for me.

He always showed up when I was at my lowest. On the nights when it rained, he shielded me from the thunder. When I passed out on the mall, he came to my rescue.

He was becoming my hero each passing day.

"Thank you for being there for me," I mumbled into him and I'm sure he heard me because he pressed another kiss on my temple.

"That time when you called, I didn't mean to upset you." He shifted to glance at my face before I even finished speaking.

"You never upset me." He said the words slowly yet firmly. I smiled and relaxed into him after he strongly assured me.

We basked into each other arms listening to the rhythm of our hearts that weren't calm at all despite us peacefully laying together, our legs tangled up.

"I'll take you out once you get better," Grey whispered into my ear, his stubble grazing over my cheek and I shivered holding the back of his shirt in tight fists.

He draped the discarded blanket over me again and I didn't want to tell him that I wasn't shivering because of the cold but his voice.

The one thing I kept replaying in my mind was that Grey and I would have dinner out together, for the first time.

✪ ✪

Is anyone of you into historical fiction? If there is, you can check out my other book, Sir Arthur. It's a completed story btw.

(⁠๑⁠˙⁠❥⁠˙⁠๑⁠)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1K 127 18
"What do you call a fish wearing a bowtie?" Instantly, Sawyer frowns, an unimpressed expression on his face. I continue to smile at him, urging him...
936K 27.7K 38
Nov, 09, 2020 : #1 in romance May, 14, 2021 : #1in respect May, 14, 2021 : #4 in lovestory "Don't try and act all nice to me. I know girls like you...
130K 3.9K 74
Losing someone is never easy. Especially if it's your best friend. Being in love with that someone though, makes it even more complicated. * Harry an...
6.2K 236 23
Two girls. At school they're total opposites. The cheer captain and the loaner geek. But at home, life isn't all as it's seems. And one teacher, and...