A Beating Heart

By HollyMD

Colby is an almost seven hundred year old Vampire that's had a less than thrilling life; she hates everything... More

Meet Colby
Curiousity
Monsters in Fairytales
Hunting Shay
Puzzle Piece One
Puzzle Piece Two
More Questions, Less Answers
Clues All Around You
Puzzle Piece Three
Pieces That Don't Belong
Only For You
Didn't See That one Coming
Old Players, New Parts
At What Cost?

Mysterious Creatures

1.8K 129 0
By HollyMD

My book  Love Me Back To Life is Now Available on Amazon. Here's the link to go and Purchase it and be sure to write a review as well guys. The link is also on my profile or you can just go to Amazon and type in the title it'll pop up.  Love you all and hope you enjoye this chapter. I may start posting on Tuesdays and Saturdays if I can find the time to write the chapters a bit quicker. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Love-Me-Back-Life-yourself-ebook/dp/B00YIP4J1E/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1433007033&sr=8-4&keywords=love+me+back+to+life

ââââââââââââââââââââ

I yank my arm out of Drake's grasp once we're back at camp. "You want to tell me why you were such a douchebag back there!" I shout, furious with him! There was no reason for his behavior.

"You can't hang around shifters, Colby." He repeats his earlier words as he packs up our gear in haste.

"So I've gathered." I mutter and roll my eyes."You gonna tell me why not?" I stand and wait for a reply but Drake just continues to pack up the gear, ignoring me. "Drake!" I shout, exasperated. Shay is the first person I've known in my freaking miserable life that makes me want to actually live to see the next day. There's some unseen force pulling me towards her and now Drake has probably scared her away. I normally love my big brother, but right now, I kind of want to kill him.

"You just can't Colby!" He turns and screams at me, and then his eyes shoot to a line of trees. The wind is howling as the sun sets on this cool late summer/early fall evening. "Get in the car." He commands. I turn and follow his line of sight. What is wrong with him? Why is he so jumpy? "Get in the car now, Colby!" He tells me again. I look up at him, he's pleading to me with his eyes to just trust him and do as he says. I sigh and concede.

He packs up everything else quickly and tosses it on the back seat. He's slides into the driver's seat, starts the car and pulls off quickly. I glance back towards the woods Drake was eyeing a moment ago. I squint and notice five or six brown and black creatures with yellow glowing eyes emerge from the line of trees.

They're not wolves, though.

They're bigger, hairier, with a hunched back, and long bushy tail. I stare at them trying to decipher what they could possibly be. I make eye contact with one and it shows its sharp teeth sending shivers down my spine. I whip around in my seat and face forward.

"They're called Lycanthropes." Drake answers my unasked question. I turn and narrow my eyes at him. I feel like he knows more than he's telling me.

"What's that?" I question.

He shakes his head and closes his eyes briefly. When he opens them he pinches the bridge of his nose and sighs.

"You can't hang around with that girl, Colby." He says after a beat.

"Why Drake?" And it's a plea. A plea for him to stop treating me like I'm this fragile little kid and just tell me the truth.

"It's not safe." He answers and then gives me a look that tells me this conversation is over. I huff, fold my arms and flop back against my seat.

The rest of the ride back to the house was silent, only our breathing filled the car. I have so many more questions. For instance, what's a damn Lycanthrope and why were we running from them when we're freaking immortals?

Drake pulled his car into the driveway and put it in park.

"Mom and dad can't know about what we saw, what you've been doing." He shakes his head.

"Drake would you please justâ"

"I will Colby." He nods; sincerity in his voice."Just...not right now okay." He forces a smile and places a hand on my shoulder.

'Why not now?!' I want to shout but I refrain.

"Okay." I nod. Drake has never kept a secret from me. Even when he's been explicitly told not to tell me something... in the end he's always brought me in on it. So I know, that whatever this is...whatever's happening, it's big.

"Not a word Colby, not even to Jack. Okay?" I nod and we exit the car. It's just after ten p.m. and mom and dad are in the living room when we walk in the door.

Dad scrunches his brows then glances down at his watch. "Is everything okay?" He stands from his recliner chair, a look of worry on his face.

"Everything's fine dad." Drake replies coolly, flashing him a smile. "I'd forgotten that I had plans tomorrow is all. Colby here did get some hunting in though." Drake continues, placing a hand on my shoulder. "She caught a wolf." He beams. I look up at him. What?

Oh! Shay!

"Mhm." I nod, trying my best to look as casual as Drake.

"Oh." Our dad narrows his eyes at us.

"Well I'm glad you're getting better, honey." My mother says, oblivious to what's actually going on, but I can sense that my dad has some sort of inclination and I think Drake can too.

"Colby and I are gonna head upstairs." He says as he's already pulling me up the steps. When we reach the top he puts his index finger to his lip and shakes his head. "Not a word." He mouths and I'm sure it's a precaution in case our parents are listening in. "

I nod and he heads into his room. I sigh and head up another set of five steps to my room.

I really wish I could read minds; maybe I wouldn't be so lost right now. I flop on my bed as my computer dings signaling that I have a message. I grab my MacBook from the bedside table and open up my email.

'I have that information you requested. Can you meet me?'

 -G

I sit up against my headboard and position the Mac on my lap to type my reply.

'I can't tonight. Parents are on me. Can you meet tomorrow at the cove?' I send and wait for a reply.

'Tomorrow is no good. I will send you a time and location when applicable.' 

 -G

The message reads.

I groan and reply.'Okay.' 

I roll my eyes and sigh, tossing my laptop on the bed in front of me.

Today was not at all what I planned it to be. My thoughts flash back to Shay at the cabin. The look of terror in her eyes... it was heart stopping. And yet again, I'm left with more questions than answers.

â

"Good morning." My mother greets me when I enter the kitchen. She is standing next to the sink nursing a cup of coffee.

"Hey." I mutter and grab an orange from the patterned wooden bowl on the island. I peel it and pop a piece in my mouth. As the juices trickle down my throat I am taken back to yesterday with the apple. The orange citrusy fruit is divine. Better than everâheavenly even. I moan and close my eyes.

"What is it with you and fruit these days?" I open my eyes to my mom staring at me with a smirk and raised brow.

I shrug and finish off my orange in double time as I take a seat on a stool at the island. "Where's dad?"

"At work."

"On a Saturday?" I question. She purses her lips and shrugs, bringing the coffee cup back up to her mouth.

"Is Drake already gone?" I hop down off the stool and walk over to the fridge.

"Mhm." She mutters.

"I'm gonna go into the city today." I murmur, leaning down into the fridge to grape a bottle of cranberry juice.

"Why?" I stand and close the fridge, turning to look at my mother.

Shrugging, "Just because." I offer.

She purses her lips and gives me a 'try again'look.

"Mom, seriously, when will you guys stop treating me like I'm seventeen years old?!" I shout, exasperated.

Her lips quirk up into a smile, "Simple," She shrugs and puts the coffee cup in front of her mouth again, "when you turn eighteen." She raises her brows and takes a long sip of her coffeeâslurping it loudly.

I groan and roll my eyes, stomping away from her and up the stairs to my room.

This is really becoming ridiculous. I am six hundred and eighty four freaking years old! I should be able to go into town by myself! I twist the cap off my cranberry juice and take a sip. It's delicious! I gulp it down and toss the empty bottle into the wicker trash bin next to my desk. I take a seat in my blue swivel desk chair and grab the rubber ball from my desk. I lean back and spin around as I toss the small red ball in the air.

The ding from an email ceases my movement. I stare at the screen. It's not an email address I know.

'Can you meet me someone in an hour?

 -S

Who the hell is S and why do they want me to meet them?

'No thanks.' I type back. 'You could be a murderer.' I add quickly.

'I'm not a murderer and if you want to know more about me, you'll give me a place'

 -S

The stalker writes back. I narrow my eyes at the screen. S... I think, trying to figure out who could thatâoh!

'Shay?!' I type quickly.

'A place, Colby.'

 -S

I sit back in my chair and stare at the screen. How in the hell did Shay get my email? I shake the thoughts from my head and type:

'Meet me at the The Forks.' It's a nice day out and I know all the food trucks will be thereâwith my recently heightened since of taste I have an overwhelming urge to try everything.

"One hour."

 -S

She reiterates and then she's gone. Now, how in the heck do I get out without my mom bombarding me with a million questions?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.7K 733 23
The world has many secrets that very few humans know. Meet Amanda. She's a strong-minded shapeshifter, hiding in the human world, who doesn't like b...
226 25 25
Cover by: @__carino__ (Book 1 of Vampires and Werewolves trilogy) When Aliza Ragland turns sixteen, she leaves her dad to go with her two older broth...
60.8K 1.4K 57
this is a kaz brekker x own character story This story is about a girl named Cara, she has a power that is almost extinct in the world. she has the p...
157K 8.3K 41
▪▪▪ They spent 3000 nights watching each other from afar. Both plagued by a sense of longing towards the other, girl and wolf. Stuck, on opposite s...