Handle With Care - Book 4 in...

由 AsToldByMegan

Twenty years have passed since George Harrison met Lauren Woods. Life has settled down for the both of them a... 更多

Author Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Epilogue

Chapter 11

38 2 0
由 AsToldByMegan

We finished the album in exactly 3 weeks and we were all so proud of it. Tom and I got past our differences and I reminded him that I've always loved him and wasn't going to blame him for anything.

In honor of finishing, all of the wives and kids were flying in for a celebration that Lauren planned at Tom's house.

Sandi Lynne was flying in with Darry and Annie and for that I was grateful. After three weeks of writing and recording and being away from my wife, I was happy to return to some normalcy with my kids.

Before heading to the party, I decided to go meet with someone I have been neglecting. I told myself over a month ago at the Hall Of Fame ceremony that I was going to be friends with Paul again and make a commitment to that.

He was thoroughly surprised to see me when I arrived.

I wanted to let him in on the situation and gain advice and clarity on what I should do.

"You did what?" He was completely shocked at this turn of events. It was a lot to take in.

Lauren and I seemed so happy to everyone around us. No one would suspect there was a rift.

Paul was surprised when I showed up but then was grateful. He wanted to thank me for the remarks I made at the Hall of Fame ceremony. He regrets making the decision he made to not be there.

That is when I unleashed this news on him.

"Tom and Lauren.... Huh?" He was in disbelief, a trance almost.

"How did you and Linda stay so happy after all of these years?" I asked him. They had just as many children running about and their love never faltered.

"Well Linda isn't Lauren. She isn't hard headed and passionate when it comes to her feelings about those around her. She is much more reserved and chooses a path and sticks with it."

"But I mean for real, if she is really choosing Tom Petty over me.... What's to say she doesn't fall in love with you next?"

I was just making a point, I thought it funny.

"I think you just let her be, and you do what you please as well. Maybe that's all you both need. There's worse people to love out there than Tom Petty."

"It's not Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers for nothing," I tried making a joke.

Paul rolled his eyes at me this time.

"I just think Lauren has been through too much pain in her life. The amount of tragic events that have taken place is too many to count. All starting with Darry."

I thought back to her manager and good friend and couldn't believe it's been more than twenty years since his passing. That was the first time she started to grow numb to the world and branch out. Next was her friend Annie and almost losing Glyn in the same car accident. Then losing our second child.

The list goes on and on and includes being shot herself and losing John. Carrying twins for nine months and only taking one home. Then Tom overdosed and survived and then Glyn didn't.

It was more pain than anyone could imagine.

"She seems to want to be a family with Tom and Ethan," I said to him, "like it's somehow fulfilling."

"Tom and her have been close all of the years, haven't they?" Paul asked me, wondering if this was out of the blue or not.

"Ive seen the way they look at each other," I said to him, "every time he would visit they were inseparable. All I did was push them into being together."

"Maybe it's for the best," he said, "look...."

I waited for him to continue but he didn't know how to word what he was to say.

"Don't..." I finally spoke up, "I don't want advice."

I then decided to let him in on the secret of the Wilburys.

No one knew this project was going down but us five and I knew Paul would be either stoked or jealous.

"Roy Orbison?" He was in shock.

"The best of the best, man" I responded with a chuckle.

"Well no then I would have to be there," he said still in disbelief.

"Oh so you can take all the royalties and sue us all?" I said back. I knew that was crossing a line and regretted it.

Paul looked at me and then burst into laughter.

He then got ready and accompanied me to Tom's house. He wanted to hear our music and celebrate with us... as friends do.

....

When we arrived, I was surprised to see all of my children there, including Ollie.

"Son," I said in shock, "you're back."

"For a day," he corrected me, "mom wanted me to surprise you."

"It's the best surprise, I can't wait for you to listen to the album."

"I've been dying to listen," he said and then he turned to Paul.

"...and Paul McCartney," he said kind of loud, "I thought you were a myth."

The whole room burst into laughter. Paul has been nonexistent in most of our lives for quite some time.

"Who am I, the Loch Ness Monster?" He asked and again everyone laughed.

Then Lauren smiled wide and greeted Paul.

He whispered something in her ear and she nodded.

I looked away and went to my other kids playing with their little brother.

"Hey Dad," Darry said standing up, "we're so happy to be back with you guys."

"I'm happy you're here," I said giving them both a hug and then Ethan came and hugged me.

"I missed you;" he said.

Annie and Darry looked at each other. They wondered why he missed me when we've been out here in LA together.

"Everyone gather round," Tom then stood at the front of his living room.

"I just want to say that none of this would be possible without George Harrison," he raised his glass in my direction.

Everyone cheered.

"... George is the glue that holds everyone together and he's the reason we all were brought together out here to make this album."

I looked over at Lauren who looked from Tom to me and gave me a smile.

I began to get deep in my own thoughts and tuned him out after he continued on about what the Wilburys meant to him. I was happy it meant so much to everyone here that we made all of this happen.

I was then brought back to reality by Lauren walking over to me.

"George?" She called out and then grabbed my arm.

Everyone was looking at me and I looked up toward Tom who was holding up his glass once more.

"He asked if you'd say a few words," she pointed out.

I was thrown off more so that Lauren wanted to speak to me and was being very kind in my presence for the first time in weeks, rather than the fact I had zoned out.

I looked into her eyes a moment and then broke my gaze away and went over to join Tom.

"Your friendship is very important to me," I remembered to assure him.

"We need to talk privately," he then said and I agreed we did need to talk.

I stood up there and spoke from my own heart first - to my group of friends and loved ones.

"I couldn't have imagined any of this possible," I said looking around, "the pure talent in this room is unmatched and I am grateful for this. All I ever want to do is make music. It's been my entire life and you guys made me feel alive again. A part of a group again."

Paul was standing at the far wall with his head down nodding. He was happy for me. He knew as well as I that this was good for me.

Then I once again brought my gaze to my wife. Whether she likes it or not she was still mine.

She was smiling and holding Ethan and I wanted to hold the both of them. I wanted to somehow try and be a family again. 

I nodded at the group as everyone went back to their conversations and then walked out into the backyard.

Tom was quickly at my heel. 

继续阅读

You'll Also Like

4.9K 285 37
Joan, Jude, and Julia love the Beatles. So they are naturally surprised when they find the Beatles- In the year 2015! Co-Written with EmmaMayMcCartne...
2K 82 22
the sequel to 'let it be', a John Lennon love story set in time. ***** it's 1966 and The Beatles have just stopped touring. Life is perfect, but for...
85.6K 2.4K 33
"We grew up together thinking of each other as best friends, but these last few weeks have been like us really getting to know each other, getting to...
2.4K 84 36
A year after Jessica and Marcia met, they're continuing there lives while each are starting a family, getting married, and going through life no matt...