Midnight Neighbor | 18+

By akawaiiisan

♤♤ MATURE CONTENT warning ♤♤ • • • He's charming. He's handsome, hot as f*ck, talented, charismatic. People h... More

|| summary ||
0|| Disclaimer
1|| You're like, ancient Soph
2|| Negligence
3|| Unaware
4|| Her ignorance
5|| Familiar
6|| A Shocker
7|| Disbelief
8|| It will end in tears
9|| Realization
10|| Game
11|| Olivia
12||Harrassment and Assault
13|| Fail Safe Plan
14|| Risky
15||For his Sanity
16|| Conflicted
17|| Overreaching
18|| Shameless
19|| Blessing
20|| Undercurrents
21|| A Memorable Night
22|| Only for you
23|| Drive you wild
24|| Behind The Scenes
25|| Starved
26|| Much too Impulsive
27|| Interrogation at its Finest
28|| Dangerous urges
29|| Insatiable
30|| Snake (part 1)
30|| Snake (part 2)
31|| Unease
32|| Honesty
33|| Assumptions
34|| Bad Memories
35|| Who is that Woman
36|| His Persistence
37|| Unforseen Changes
38|| Banter
39|| Burning Curiosity
40|| Petrified
41|| Undercurrents Flow Once Again
42|| Unbelievable
43|| Oversight
44|| A Small glimpse is Enough
45|| Recklessness
46|| Show me
47|| Accidents and Confrontations
48|| Say it
49|| Exposed
50|| First Impressions Last
51|| Two Truths and a Lie
52|| Always Two Steps Ahead
53|| Silent Wars
54|| Then comes the Fall
55|| A Gift
56|| Contempt
57|| Hurt people
58|| Importance
59|| Quite the Scare
60|| Making Plans
61|| Her Dominance -Shortlived
62|| Angst
63|| Theft of Joy
64|| Uncertainties
65|| Under Pressure
66||Miranda
67|| Motherly Woes
68|| Blame
70|| Priorities
71|| Art of Gathering Information
72||Cater to You
73|| Keep a Secret
74|| Love so Pure
||Content With You {MN extras 1/?}
||Content With You {MN extras 2/?}
|| Her neighbor {MN extra 1/?}

69|| Bittersweet

6.5K 271 143
By akawaiiisan

Unedited~
• • •

As he sat while deeply thinking to himself, on a chair located a good ways away from the festivities of the night...Isaac Anderson felt a little uncomfortable..somewhat.

It was a good day, -no, it was a good week overall for him yet he did not find himself overly enjoying the outcome of this similarly to his temporary acquaintance/partner.

Far removed from the atmosphere, Isaac sat in contemplative silence, almost brooding in a way, staring into the glass of white wine without reservations.

His behavior had to be odd to others but he hardly cared of anything outside the scope of his own opinions. And thinking back everything went off without a hitch. It was so perfectly done yet this morning he woke up in discomfort and also with an awful disk in his neck that worsened this discomfort.

He sighed, efforts to find the source of his discomfort was lacking. The stress ate at him daily but today it was worse. So much so that his entire head of hair had already become thin silver gray.

As he sat in brooding silence that nearly vacuumed the lively atmosphere around him, he was soon brought out of his daze by dainty hands wrapped around his neck and a woman who was as slippery as an eel sliding into his lap.

The woman, who had no name he could remember, smiled at him with eyes like a fox and leaned closer. Isaac's eyes got even more dull at her action, she was not Sienna and it irked him. With a simple movement of his leg, she lost most of her balance and nearly tumbled off him. Her eyes hardened but she stubbornly persisted.

Isaac grounded his teeth, then sighed.

"-Is that any way to treat a lady? Mr Anderson? Or can I still call you Isaac?" It wasn't the woman who spoke, but a man who walked up to where he sat, holding a smaller glass with 
seemingly a stronger beverage.

His name was Lawson, the owner of this fine...establishment, and his light and easy going gaze exposed just how pleased he was with the current situation both in and outside right now. Isaac knew it wasn't a stretch. After he offended Elijah Osoro years ago, Lawson kept to she shadows with all his dealings simply because the behemoth called Osoro.co threatened to swallow his operations if the man himself willed it.

Now, with Elijah Osoro being 'out of commission'... Lawson was able to go public without a hitch under the chaos. He was able to open this establishment and also place a few others around the country. Isaac respected the man's efficiency but there was a problem that could not be overlooked and it left him with unease.

Both of them were...partners in crime one could say but Isaac's tolerance of this man was already going down at breakneck speed.

"Hm," Isaac made a simple sound in response and placed down his wine glass. Then he went on to physically remove the woman off him. She glared at him with the fierceness of a thousand suns then stomped away.

Lawson watched her go with a still smile planted on his face while Isaac simply took up his glass again with the remaining wine.

"You know..." Lawson began after a few moments of silence, a certain hardness in his eyes. "She was the only one here who agreed to keep your company," he smiled, "I don't know if you realized it yet but you're quite...old. And its hard to get my girls to lay with someone so...soggy."

A tiny muscle in Isaac's jaw twitched but other from that, he appeared nonplussed. Lawson's lame attempt at irking him fell flat.

"What's your reason for seeking me out now?" Isaac asked, choosing to ignore his previous statement. Lawson's smile didn't fade.

"I'll be plain...You're fucking with the vibe I'm curating here," he pointed out simply, "-sitting here like an old scrooge with your negative energy," he sank into the opposite chair after speaking, appearing very carefree.

Isaac's stare got even duller and he spoke flatly, "I apologize?"

Lawson made a simple gesture, "No no, no need. I just cannot understand why...everything went well didn't it? Yet you seem...worried."

Isaac opened his mouth to respond then thought better of it and drunk what was left in his glass. "Worried you say...?" He mumbled after a while.

Lawson laughed loudly, then he leaned forward towards Isaac, the tone of his voice dropping an octave.

"I dont see why," he spoke in a hushed tone, "Your guy, Ethan, took the fall. They caught Dan but he was never someone who couldn't hold his own. The guys on we planted outside already got caught so I assume Dan already fed them the info we prepared incase this happens. As soon as his bond his posted, he'll be out in a jiffy and without that other pressure, my enterprise has finally gone public. Can their be anything better than this outcome?" Lawson tilted his head to the side, appearing mightily pleased with himself.

Isaac's brows went upwards and he entertained a thought, "Maybe if he died."

At this, Lawson's expression changed then he smiled once again, "I guess the common man cannot have it all?"

Isaac shrugged with a minuscule movement of his shoulder, "He didn't die though," he pointed out a second time, "You're so leisurely even while knowing he'll recover and I aspire to be like you when I grow up one day."

If the man sensed the mockery in Isaac's tone, he didn't comment on it. Still...another bout of hardness flashed through his eyes but in the end, Lawson did nothing but huff out a breath of air.

"Unlike you, I'm quite patient, who says we can't get it right the second time?" Lawson brushed it off as if it was no important matter and in their line of work currently, Isaac guessed it sort of was.

"It's funny you believe there'll be a second opportunity," Isaac murmured and to this, Lawson leaned back.

"He's just a man," Lawson laughed loudly, "man is not made of steel."

Isaac's brows went upwards but he chose not to reply, he leaned back and closed his eyes in contemplation.

That man, Elijah Osoro. In his heart there was a hate like no other for that man who collapsed his business to only a silver of what it was before. His trusted business partner Sienna...a woman he even grew to like even with the gap in their ages, would be put away for a long time as well. How could he feel any satisfaction for Lawsons success when he never truly got what he wanted...? 

Isaac was counting on receiving news of a certain man's timely demise. And they were so close...yet...

This hatred made his vision dark. Plus knowing that man would recover...that was the source of his discomfort.

Isaac looked towards Lawson who didn't seem to have any discomfort whatsoever. Or if he did, he hid it quite well. So...carefree. He expected better, maybe some self awareness but even that was maybe asking for too much.

Being able to land a hit on the previously untouched Osoro boosted his ratings among a large community of shady people, that and a week of not being harshly suppressed by the unseen hand made Lawson...unbelievably arrogant.

Isaac blew out a breath and came to a final decision internally. "After today," he began, "-we shall never see or come in contact with each other again. I've already transferred the remaining funds and for anything else, I trust you've dealt with it already."

Lawson made a sound of acknowledgement with a wolfish smile. "I'll gladly respect your wishes, our short partnership was brief but truly commendable."

They shook hands and Isaac nodded. He got up and headed to the other exit. He wasn't dumb to leave through the front and instead chose the alley round back where his car was parked and waiting. He had to walk a bit further and go downa flight of stairs more but he wasn't bothered.

His plan was a simple one going forward. He'd move to a tropical country and wait out the storm. If all was well, he'd maybe show his head again on this home soil in the near future. But for now his gut feeling was odd and he always trusted his gut.

Something was coming.

He could bet his left kidney.

He could feel it yet Lawson, like a tiger on his own rock, remained blissfully ignorant and unaware of the dragon slowly descending onto it.

Isaac left the building some minutes later and got in his car, he gave simple directions to his driver. He planned to return to his townhouse for now. One of the few secret assets that still remained binded to his name.

He leaned back in the seats and massaged his temples with a finger.

Isaac felt the car moving and sighed to himself. His plan wasn't a lot but he was prepared, all he needed was another drink. He'd make sure to get the earliest flight tomorrow morning and leave this damn continent.

He took a risk working with Lawson and regardless of what he felt now, he didn't regret it. He couldn't regret it. Would an injured animal regret rearing up to bite its pursuers one last time before the weight of its injuries led to its demise? He wouldn't fault himself for this one last struggle. In fact, knowing Elijah Osoro had to suffer filled him with satisfaction.

After that exchange with Lawson he carefully budgeted his funds and stored the few millions left in an offshore account. It was enough to live lavish in a tropical country where the dollar was weak...Jamaica it is, he swiftly decided. Ultimately he could keep up with the news from the outside. Getting out now while everyone was distracted was the safest risk free bet.

He remained in this contemplative position for a few minutes, thinking about any and everything. After a while he frowned as muffled sounds entered his ears. The car which was moving smoothly before lurched to a stop, nearly moving him where he sat.

What on earth...

"Why have we stopped?" He asked his driver. He noticed the car really hadn't moved too far, the building he just left was still in their sights.

"Ah....Sir..." the young man trailed off.

"What!" Isaac's frowned deeply, alarm bells went off rapidly in his head.

"The road is blocked sir."

Isaac didn't need any further explanation from him. After his eyes registered the scene upfront and he quickly came to terms with it, the color drained all but from his face in short succession.

The building he just left and even on the main road upfront on both ends...was swarming with police cars, both recognizable and undercover police cars.

They hadn't even stopped for minutes yet out of nowhere came a heavy knock on his tinted window, right where he sat. It made cold sweat gather on the nape of his neck.

♤♡♤

Elijah's surveyed the news report privately forwarded to him hours later from his executive that was closely incontact with his old...acquaintance. one side of his lips went upwards and a glint of mockery went through his eyes as her serveyed the list of names now bound in custody. Then the further he read...the more blank and expressionless he got. In the end her frowned.

This one message from the executive he put in charge of this gave him a few contrasting feelings.

Elijah didn't like repeating himself yet for some reason he already found himself doing so over the past few days since he woke up.

He grounded his teeth and with one hand that silently flew all over the keyboard, he typed up a long detailed paragraph and sent off the timely instructions. 

How many times would he need to explain in this regard that neither him nor Sophia would be involved in this.

Right now there was only outside speculations and obscurities surrounding his and Sophia's injury and the entire situation, Elijah planned to keep it that way. Appearing in court was simply out of the question.

It took a lot for him to sigh and choose this route...surely if the situation was direct he'd prefer to drag each and everyone of them down to hell but now...he matured. Elijah's seething anger was completely under wraps. Any other day he'd get personally involved and made sure he exercised the extent of his power (legally of course) to let whosoever know the extent of their wrongs but this time he forced himself to do otherwise.

Everyone involved would not be personally handled by him, the onus of the attack was sure to be pinned on the shooter and his accomplice who were dubbed crazy men unrelated to Sophia in any way, and the others would instead put behind bars for a really long time based on other crimes they hid under their belts and if there weren't any, his executives weren't without tact.

This was the entent he planned to go.

There was really only one reason for this. After slamming the laptop shut forcefully yet soundlessly, his gaze turned to the figure who was curled up into his side, one hand clutching the hem of his shirt and her head barely on his chest. She was stuck to his side like glue as if he'd disappear if she did otherwise and he guessed she'd have laid ontop of him of it wasn't for his still healing yet annoying injury.

Yes. This woman was the reason he chose to bury his grievances and not personally handle it. He'd rather chew on glass than drag her into the mess, no different than forcing her to relive that trauma in court since she was also implicated by their scenes. For the issue with his family however, especially his mother...that was what he'd personally handle himself in due time. But for now, he preferred to keep that stress away for now.

Elijah was used to this, he was experienced in going great lengths for her and would have it no other way. He still had that faint memory of his last injury in that elevator. Even before he realized the weird ache in his chest was fondness when he looked at her...he chose to let others handle the issue of gross negligence, keeping that drawn out battle further away and out of her sight until everyone involved got persecuted.

The report he got just now, although it made him seethe for a moment, he brushed it off in that same breath. Their names didn't ring a bell and only one stood out out of everything. Seeing that familiar name, Isaac Anderson, again on that report simply reminded Eĺijah why it was imperative to never show mercy to a dirty hyena.

It never learned its lesson and would come right back to bite.

Still he was calm. That oversight would happen never again. His executives were already out there cleaning the scene of other opportunistic men who dared to raise their heads above surface again after his short absence. Including that Lawson fellow, there was quite a lot of them too. He already fixed matters inside Osoro.co with two simple video calls, both to a gathering with vice president and executives and the other to the small group of major shareholders. Although he owned over fifty percent and planned to keep it that way, assurance was needed since his father could only do do much...

Elijah closed his eyes and chose to not think about it while in the company of his woman. Sophia sleeps soundly at his side and have been doing so ever since. His bed was definitely big enough.

Elijah looked over to the other half of the room and held back a light chuckle. His already huge room had been transformed overnight two days ago to hold two patients instead of one without him needing to make the order twice. Having walls separating them was simply barbaric in his point of view.

On her side was an empty bed, and the low monotonous sound of the machines going dead, especially the heart monitor she plucked off her finger. That was what woke him up at first and later he felt her get in beside him followed by her immediately falling asleep yet again.

Sophia was...too cute. Everyday he got more reason to let everyone including the nurses to know about this fact but knowing she'd get flustered and probably throw one of those machines at him made him tight lipped.

He couldn't laugh and instead chose to read through his urgent emails since he was already up at that time.

Right now, it was at times like these he found himself irritated. His injury was truly unfortunate and stopped him from acting out on intrusive thoughts to bother her sweet dreams. Plus...a scene from before stayed at the forefront of his mind.

A few days ago after he was...reckless and got his bleeding arm patched up once more. His personal doctor, Yuri swallowed his reservations and bravely warned him against doing such actions in the future. That memory made him rethink most of his impulses.

Staying away from overexertion and avoiding any...excitement was the next warning. At the mention of this, Yuri's eyes briefly slid to Sophia and Elijah immediately understood. His expression quickly turned sour and Sophia pretended she was dead and turned away from both of them. Yuri did not shudder under his glare, he was seasoned and did not bulge. Instead, he repeated his warnings with added emphasis.

Elijah's displeasure made him dismiss Yuri immediately but in the end... he wouldn't go out of his way to ignore his doctor's orders. Getting better was his main priority.

Although Yuri was younger than most seasoned doctors, he was what they call a young genius born from a generation of highly skilled in the field. He skipped many grades, graduated early and majored in surgery, that and other similar studies needed to occupy his current post under Elijah's employ. He was an object of pure jealousy to others who eyed this stress free, well paying position. He was also employed in this hospital but this was out of his own preferences, Elijah didn't care what Yuri did with his own time as long as he knew to make himself immediately available when needed.

Elijah would be obedient on this one thing since the sooner he got better, the sooner he could leave and do..other things. At this thought, his eyes went back to the sleeping beauty who's hand already left his shirt hem and was now resting gently on his abdomen under it.  With her leg over his, she hung from him like a koala. Elijah would have it no other way.

He had a few...plans regarding this woman of his he repeatedly put off but after this incident, Elijah couldnt imagine why he ever. The light of life was fickle and could be snuffed out at any inopportune moment so why on earth should he wait so torturously?

When was he ever the type to bask in obscurity and promote vagueness instead of clearly expressing his intentions?

Elijah vowed to himself that he wouldn't dare wait any longer to put these plans in motion.

He turned and held her close, careful not to wake her and simply stayed like this. A long moment went by. But before he went back to sleep, he paused and his eyes lazily went back towards the closed door again. He adopted an almost melancholic air.

There was another pressing matter he dared not to ignore as well.

It was hard to stay ignorant. There was a lot going on outside and he was never one to sit around with ignorance.

His sister was here...maybe not in the building but here nonetheless...yet she avoided him like the God damn plague for the entirety of the three days after he woke up out of his temporary coma.

Elijah only learned she was here after Sophia mentioned her again back then. It was odd at first, while his arm was being patched up, he heard her speak of his apparent sister who helped out a ton once more and it made him come to a really startling realization. If it wasn't Amelia and definitely could not be Eva that helped... then it could only be one person.

Mia.

Yet another day went by and there was no sight of her.

Elijah was aware of everything, her location, her companion, down to what she ate this morning. Yet she stubbornly stayed away and similarly had someone reporting his condition back to her in the same manner he exercised.

It was irksome.

If this continued further Elijah would have to take matters into his own hands...

♤♡♤

As Elijah held on a bit tighter to Sophia and later drifted off to a restless sleep, the same couldn't be said for a woman miles away, residing in a hotel on the uppermost floor where she temporarily stayed. This woman was none other than Miranda Osoro, who's eyes were dark because of sleeplessness.

Miranda glimpsed the large wall clock and seeing that it was already past midnight yet again, she frowned deeply. Because of her own restlessness and nerves she couldn't sleep and she couldn't stop pacing back and forth.

Seeing this side of her, her close female assistant and Kenji, who both outright refused to be sent away, felt as if it was a breath of fresh air to a normally dry arid environment. The woman who was normally collected and decisive, volatile like a time bomb when she was triggered, appeared so...different now. They both shared gazes of concern but did not speak up or else they'd be harshly shushed.

Miranda let them stay here with the one condition being they were to remain silent, giving her time to think. Their loyalty made her annoyed by she soon abandoned that thought.

Miranda fought the urge to pull on her hair. She was cowardly, there was no other explanation for it. There was no doubt about it either. This was the most she'd ever felt like this in one breath.

As a result of her last minute cowardice three days ago, she missed the most opportune moment to at least...see him and then leave quickly. One second of hesitance was all it took for her nearly stacked wall of bravery to crumble and after leaving, three whole days of being indecisive went by and she still did not go back. It was...pathetic.

News of her return spread like wildfire in the family. She knew this and also heard what she needed from Jiho and it really spread to no one that mattered in her opinion. She had no qualms about avoiding the lot of them, including ignoring hasty requests everyday to meet up from the woman who birthed her but the one person she needed to see the most...she couldn't bring herself to do it.

In her heart she also felt a twinge of anger that he showed no signs of seeking her out either but that was only followed by immediate guilt and self blame because it was an irrational expectation fueled by her cowardice.

She was in quite the dilemma. She'd much rather entertain herself with building plans and catching new opportunities in the promising real estate market that kept on giving than suffer through this. But it was self inflicted, she could only sigh.

The last time she saw Elijah, her brother...her face tinted red just thinking about that last time.

She was still...irrational and so...angry back then. Angry at her family, angry at the world and her at own condition.

Her wounds were still fresh at that time and she had just found solace with her distant relatives only to later come face to face with him her brother, who appeared out of nowhere with relief clear as day in his eyes. As if he went through hell just to locate her in that city.

Seeing him made her go livid, she quite literally exploded. So now he had the thought to finally put a pause on his busy schedule? To seek her out after being ignorant to her pain and the distress their own family put her through?

A procedure that was never 100% guaranteed to go well at her term and now there was nothing left. Her doctor solemnly told her that getting pregnant again after that procedure would be nothing short of a miracle and even after learning, the family showed sympathy but she eventually learned of those snarky remarks, mockery and musings that she'd never bear child even if they paired her with the right one-! That and how sad it was that it was that she was doomed to her brothers shadow of excellence.

Miranda would never forget.

Miranda was livid, she saw red. She did not and couldn't even listen to reason. She exploded like a tantrum throwing child and when she finally sobered up, he was gone and in her hands was a vase and right where he previous stood and around that area was littered with smashed glass and clay posts she most likely threw at him.

She only remembered half of what she said back then. She told him to leave...that she never wanted to see his face, never again till the day she died...he did leave and he never appeared before her again...for the most part.

But he eventually got daring. They never met but she knew it was him poking his nose where it didn't belong, his methods were distinct and he was an annoyance in the market she was one of the few to dominate.

Miranda pursed her lips and felt a lot of things, she later sighed. Seeing him before he woke up would've been the better choice. Now that he was awake she could feel...relieved. He life wasn't in danger anymore so...was there any need to go further? Miranda was stumped

Her legs ached so she later collapsed onto a nearby chair. She drank what was left off her orange juice and turned her sights to the two waiting around.

"Alright you two," she finally addressed them. They looked quite odd, especially Kenji who proudly wore his pajamas of a popular eastern cartoon character without shame, "-It's late, I'll retire to bed so both of you retire to bed," she made sure to emphasize. Ever since they landed these two stuck to her side like glue.

If she wasn't strict, she feared she'd wake up with them laying at the foot of her bed or something.

"Okay!" The woman made a perfunctory gesture and Kenji did so as well although his concern for her never left his eyes.

They got up one by one and went to leave. Miranda contemplated as they did and just before both of them disappeared through the door, Miranda quickly called out.

"-Wait!"

Kenji stopped in the door, "Yes?"

Miranda thought for a moment then spoke, "We've been away for too long now, instruct the captain that I'll need the earliest flight to Europe in the morning -no that's too early, the morning after tomorrow," she corrected herself. "And we'll go directly to the mainland from there after settling some matters."

Kenji paused. He had something to say but hearing the tone of her voice, he thought better of it. "Okay I'll let then know now."

Of course. Miranda's words were law in their eyes.

Morning came as quick as it went. And for the entire day she was tensed. Unsurprisingly, she received even more reports that they still had to block some relatives from seeking her out to curry favor and since her location was already circulating in the family.

She went through emails and even physical letters and specifically disposed of the ones from 'family members'. Miranda hesitated seeing something from her mother as well but ultimately, even that was ignored. Juilianne's behavior already convinced her the woman was still stuck in her ways. She wanted nothing to do with that in all honesty.

There was moment when Miranda had a thought to simply visit him but ultimately, she did not. Instead she chose to send simple and perfunctory well wishes the second her plane was at cruising altitudes. It was better than nothing.

The day flew by and soon enough, it was morning. Her time to leave and she did so silently. Miranda went to the same airport almost an hour early, before the sun even started peeking out from the horizon. A few people followed for security but most important was her own aids who would board with her.

During that hour of waiting, Miranda had some time to think. She thought back to the scene, her relatives and most importantly her younger brother and sisters. It was unfortunate, her siblings grew and few of them would regard her as a stranger. Miranda wasn't completely cruel, maybe in another life the outcome could've been different but she knew it already went bad. When something was spoilt, it was natural to throw it out. It was unfortunate but nothing to stress over in her opinion.

Plus she made sure her name got taken off the official family records. Just as she wanted it to, she thought bitterly, why would she regret disassociating now?

She didn't have to wait an hour in it's entirety. The pilot and his crew new better than to leave her waiting when their services were rented at a higher price than normally industry accepted. Plus the journey back would be a long one.

Miranda wore a thick fur coat to shelter from the coolness of the morning and the weather. Everyone else was also dressed in similar fashion as they left. A senior staff was tasked with guiding them through the large building and through the more lowkey areas away from the crowd of people catching earlybird passenger flights. Even at morning the international airport was crowded. They walked through a hallway that was almost completely glass panes on the wall facing the wide platform and runway. The loud sounds of the huge passenger plane taking off was muted but in a pleasant not overbearing way.

The guide spoke regardless of the somber atmosphere and soon, the exit was just up ahead. They'd soon have to go down the elevator and take a short flight of stairs to exit onto the platform. A simple car would most likely taxi them towards where their private jet stalled on the runway.

Miranda didn't look back, but still sighed with melancholy. She had been sighing since morning and the expression on her face made even Kenji hesitant to approach her.

Miranda could be stubborn, that on top of her temper was like watching two personalities brutality going up against each other. It made her aides restless. Her going back in such a regretful mood was sure to lit a very short fuse.

Kenji almost had an headache knowing her patience with those men on the board would be even thinner the following week. He needed to start preparing himself for another future...incident.

Kenji was so deep in his inner musings he almost didn't notice Miranda's abrupt halt a few steps before him. There was no more sounds of her heels clucking on the well polished floor and he stopped as well to prevent walking into her from behind. Their small group led by the senior staff all stopped in their tracks, following Miranda's lead.

Kenji was at a loss as he followed her eyesight. Strange, the previously empty hallway was now occupied by one singular person.

As they womdered where than man appeared from, Miranda literally almost jumped out of her skin.

"Wah...!" The sound dumbly left her lips, as if she saw a ghost. It might as well be.

But sure enough. There he was, blocking her path further forward, dressed neatly and looking fit as a fiddle even with one if his arm in a sling. Who on Earth would believe this man was the same man had nearly been fatally injured over a week ago?

Miranda was speechless. Her mind was a wreck. There was no way...no way he came here...

Before she went on to thinking her traitorous mind conjured him up, Elijah moved. He didnt wait, he simply walked over with measured steps.

Miranda felt less inclined to wait for him and more inclined to escape those all seeing eyes of his but she didn't move, couldnt move.  Her surprise rooted her to the spot. Everyone else however, retreated to the far side, knowing better than to interfere.

Elijah came to a stop only steps away from her.

His eyes at first were unreadable, that and the expression on his face as they met again for the first time in a while.

Miranda was completely silent, words evaded her. As always, Elijah would always find a way. How on earth did he even know she was-! The thought got interrupted as she realized and her eyes were like lazer beams as they shot to the senior staff member who's boss was first to get wind of her movements. He was staring out the windows at the runway as if it was the most interesting platform he'd ever seen in his life.

It shouldn't be surprising really. The Osoro's had their grubby paws in every inch of the country. In hindsight, choosing Mercy INTL Airport twice was her first and obvious hiccup.

"You're here...?" Miranda exhaled lightly as her eyes slid back to where Elijah stood. He was motionless but appeared firm. Her heart thudded in her chest thinking about his...oh so horrific injury. Surely it wasn't that bad and he already recovered well since he stood before her right now?

Pfft! She inwardly exclaimed, As if!

That thought left as soon as it came.

"Yes," he replied hoarsely, "I came to see you off." He was like a blank slate, Miranda couldn't tell what he was feeling whatsoever. No surprise there.

Her eyes narrowed a little. That was it? That was all? He wants to see me off?

"Are you serious?"

"Very," he quipped. Miranda's gaze got even duller.

"You..." she sucked in a harsh breath, "You idiot-!"

At this, majority of their 'audience' turned away, pretending to be both deaf and blind. Miranda didnt care, she felt like seething.

"You're not well!" she grounded out, "-why must you risk your health like this-"

"I'm okay, and well enough," he immediately answered without the slightest care. "Were you counting on me being in such bad shape? So you can disappear without showing your face? Visiting your dying brother not even once?"

"Dying?" Miranda gasped. He said he was okay just now!

"Was," he replied nonplussed, "And let's not focus on the specifics..."

Miranda frowned, her eyes were alit. A special feeling gripped her chest, her heart was nearly beating out of her sternum. "I wasn't going to-"

Elijah's pointed look made the rest of her retort dry up into a shrivel husk.

"Yet you are here," he murmured, "Leaving."

Being called out like this, so plainly made the hair on Miranda's nape stand up straight, her nostrils flared as she huffed out a large breath, "I have pressing matters to attend to! I'm a busy woman-! I cant stick around so leisurely!"

Elijah's face didn't even twitch after he spoke, something about those words gave him a faint sense of deja vu. Miranda stayed defensive and the atmosphere around them got even more emotionally charged. "I'm hurt," Elijah sighed in one breath, "-Do I mean so little to you now?"

Miranda gasped, her eyes shot open wide, "You-! Don't say that! I came here didn't I?" Her face twisted into something unsighlty and her glare could burn through stone.

"You bastard I thought you died-!" She forced out then quickly looked away, "‐If I didn't care I wouldn't even had bothered to come! And I wasn't counting on you being in bad shape or anything!"

He didn't reply immediately but his eyes took a once over of their environment. "So you say, and yet you're here Miranda," he repeated with some emphasis.

Words evaded Miranda's tongue. She couldn't reply, She had no retort simply because that hit the mark, he was right and denying it would be futile. He saw right through her back then and he did so now. This wasn't a surprise. Before things went sour they were truly joined at the hip. She couldn't hide anything from him, he always knew that's why it hurt so much...when she truly needed him, he just wasn't there back then.

Miranda recalled when it began. When she started sneaking out under her mothers nose. Elijah went the opposite route and was being prepped to learn the ways of the business yet he knew enough to find her. He supported her back then... wanted her to do what made her happy, told to to stay safe and made sure that was a surety as well even while bearing under his own pressure.

Even when she got her first tattoo he knew and instead of throwing criticisms...he went with her and even got a few himself just to show his support.

Yet it all went wrong. Everything with them went awfully wrong.

Miranda's eyes stung but she blinked it away, pursing her lips. Wasn't it such a shame things had to turn out the way it did?

Under his disarming yet pointed stare, Miranda became aghast at her own cowardice, ashamed to think she resorted to leaving like this...instead of having a little bravery.

"Elijah I-" she wanted to speak but no words were left on her tongue.

He straightened with a smile, his eyes were dark yet filled with clarity. More...mature than she'd ever be. "Are you in such a hurry to leave Mia?"

Miranda felt her heart thud in her chest uncomfortably at that name. Particularly because it stirred up even more memories of the past.

This wasn't fair. This was what she truly didnt want to confront.

"I am not," she answered stiffly, overcome with all manner of complicated feelings.

"Good," he smiled, a touch of relief that was clearly noticed by the woman before him, "I wont stop you from leaving...but let me see you off then."

Miranda nodded slowly. Simply because she didnt trust herself to speak. It was too soon, slightly awkward, even some familiarity expired after so long. A lot of words weren't shared but even the silence was meaningful in a way that made her choked up. Cognizant of her silence and their small audience, Elijah kept it to a minimum as well.

This wasn't time or place. It was disappointing in Elijah's point of view but rushing was akin to inviting disaster.

Not even a hug was shared.

They began walking in the same direction she was heading. Her companions waited until they were at a respectable distance before following silently.

Miranda however, as they walked couldn't help but notice how slower he walked than what she thought normal. Her lips twisted into a frown and another derisive feeling plagued her chest.

He was hurt....still. Her eyes stung wth tears again, she blinked it away stubbornly. She really should've went to visit him... With his personality, she should've saw this coming yet she didn't and it caught her off guard. Ever since her plane landed, she was becoming so out of character it got concerning even to herself.

Miranda knew this was only the start. The next time they met, a lot more would be said. How on earth would she manage when she barely held herself together now? Seeing his very obvious arm injury made her angry on top of everything as well.

How much energy did it take for him to come here with such an injury. Miranda felt uncomfortable but kept her musing to herself, lest he deny the strenuous and risky behavior all over again.

With an all new sense of guilt and having her cowardice dragged into the open by its neck. She walked the short distance left to leave the building. The elevator ride down was silent, thick with tension and the walk down the short flight of stairs was even more quiet save for the sound of her heel clicking on the floor and his footsteps.

He didn't speak and Miranda fought every urge and kept her thoughts on his health to herself.

It was only when they got to the final tunnel like hallway with a steep incline leading to the platform outside, she finally forced out a few words.

"Dont forget to forward me an invite-" she muttered after gathering all her wits. It took a lot but she managed.

Her words made Elijah pause momentarily. His questioning gaze fell on her but Miranda didn't turn to look at him. She stared forward. The wall of ice between the two siblings who once shared a womb at the same time was ever so present.

"An invite?" Elijah couldn't follow at first. Her words were unrelated to the present situation and came out of nowhere.

"Your wedding," She clarified as if it was obvious. She turned towards him, finally. "I like her, Sophia I mean, you chose well...little brother." Miranda spoke in one breath and with her face suddenly heating up because of an unknown reason, she hurried off knowing he couldn't follow as quickly and using that to her advantage.

Elijah stood in stunned silence for a short while, watching her leave quickly then he sighed out a short laugh, "No, I'm older," he muttered with a reminiscing sigh although he knew she would be unable to hear it.

This was a comfortable gag they shared since young. Miranda would boast about being the oldest sibling and he'd have to patiently remind her he came first by a few minutes before she got out after. The older they got the more she went on to rewrite history to everyone they met...and the more he had to correct it.

If she was using such humor now...could it mean she had forgiven him somewhat? Maybe even a little?  For the past events? The leftover feelings in his chest felt somewhat...bittersweet.

He didn't even get to properly thank her for her help with Sophia. Miranda was still skittish and skeptic. Maybe even caution of her emotions around him. Elijah noticed didn't let it bother him. Realistically, mending torn bonds couldn't be done overnight but this was better than being cursed at. It was a chance he would let slip by.

He watched her companions hurry past him to keep up and soon they all disappeared outside through glass doors.

Elijah knew his limit and didn't go further than here. He already gave Yuri a headache earlier when he got notice of Miranda's departure. If he went out now to the cold morning temperatures and heavy winds of the runway in this state, Yuri was sure to faint.

Elijah took out his phone and sent off a short text with his uninjured arm. He didn't bother walking the distance back and simply waited.

In just under three minutes, there was the sound of shuffling behind him. Most likely Yuri and the others. Elijah casted one last look to the incline where Miranda just left then turned to leave.

Elijah froze thereafter after completely turning around. His expression fell flat the moment his eyes fell on that small group, more specifically...the accursed thing one of them wheeled over.

Elijah's gaze was dim as he stared at it. The large man, one of his bodyguards who wheeled it along remained stone faced even under Elijah's displeased gaze and soul scaring gaze.

Elijah fatigue from the taxing walk before completely disappeared and as they came to a stop before him, he straightened and walked by them without sparing another glance.

He hadn't said anything when Yuri prescribed an arm sling but this...wanting him to sit and be wheeled around in a wheelchair was pushing it.

• • •

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.5M 310K 70
Wattpad Creator! Happy and proud. HIM: Staying the night? Not my thing. Hearts and flowers? Boring. Falling in love? Not anytime soon. Settling down...
4.6M 108K 25
Join me in my penthouse suite. I will make you feel things you have never felt before... Sophia has always believed that she did not need a man in he...
269K 7.5K 26
*NEW BOOK! * BONUS CHAPTERS OUT NOW! They say he's hotter than sin, colder than ice. The CEO of a Fortune 500 company. Built from the ground up. He...
194K 7.4K 31
[Book 2 in the Secret series] "That's not what I meant..." I chew on my lip. "Well, what the fuck did you mean then?" He shouts. "When I'm there I d...