The Wilted Rose

By Zach42799

Y/N Rose was the son of Qrow Branwen and Summer Rose, and the oldest child of the Rose family. Due to Qrows'... More

Character Bio
Prologue: Beyond Repair
Chapter 1: One tiny problem
Chapter 2: Forehand or Backhand?
Chapter 3: Not without a fight
Chapter 4: Revival
Chapter 5: Initiation
# FUCKIN 3!!!
Chapter 6: Lonesome Road
Roy Winchester/Arsenal Bio
Chapter 7: Indebted
Chapter 8: Welcome to Mantle
Chapter 9: Uncovered
Chapter 10: The Rescue
Chapter 11: Outlaws At Last
Chapter 12: Tremors
Chapter 13: Trust
Chapter 14: Sticks And Stones
1K! Thank You Guys
Chapter 15: The Foundry
Chapter 16: Premonitions
Chapter 17: Death
Chapter 18: Rebirth
Chapter 19: Too Far Gone (Vol.0 Finale)
Chapter 20: Train Ride (Vol. 1 Prologue)
Chapter 21: Sisters
Chapter 22: The Lucky Ones
Chapter 23: Ghost
Chapter 24: Quiet Night
Chapter 25: Protector
Chapter 26: Calm...
Chapter 27: ...Before The Storm
Chapter 28: Lifeline
Chapter 29: Who I Am (Vol. 1 Finale)
Chapter 30: Costly Mistakes (Vol. 1.5 Prologue)
Chapter 31: Critical Care
5K reads!!!
Chapter 32: Testing
Chapter 33: Your Greatest Failure
Chapter 34: Guess Who's Back
Chapter 36: Fix Me
Chapter 37: A Silver Bullet
Chapter 38: Should've Known Better
Chapter 39: The Road To Hell Is Paved In Good Intentions....
Chapter 40: Closeness
Chapter 41: Back In School
Next Red Hood Outfit Vote/Closed
Chapter 42: The Much Needed Talk
Chapter 43: The Company We Keep
Chapter 44: Prophecies (Vol. 1.5 finale)
Chapter 45: The Bookstore (Vol. 2 Prologue)
Chapter 46: You Atlesian Joker
Thank you Wattapad....
Chapter 47: Keep It Simple
Chapter 48: What's the plan?
Chapter 49: Fatherly Love
Chapter 50: Something I Cant Let Go Of
Chapter 51: I Hate When I'm Right....
Chapter 52: Takedown
Chapter 53: Goodnight Princess
Chapter 54: Too Much To Lose....
Chapter 55: Between Wants And Needs
Chapter 56: Concept Of Subtilty
Chapter 57: End Of The Line
Chapter 58: Nothing I Wont Do
Chapter 59: You Have Achieved Nothing
Chapter 60: Three Simple Words (Vol. 2 Finale)
Bonus Chapter: Your Scars Are Beautiful *Lemon*
Chapter 61: Demon (Vol. 3 Prologue)
Chapter 62: Round One
Chapter 63: I've Got Nothing For You
Chapter 64: Round Two
Chapter 65: We're Talking Aren't We?
Chapter 66: The Vault
Chapter 67: Breaking Point
Important Notice/updated
Chapter 68: Firing Squad
Chapter 69: Nightmare
Chapter 70: Better Tomorrow
Important Notice Pt. 2
Chapter 71: The Easy Part
Chapter 72: Do Or Die
Chapter 73: Failure
Chapter 74: Two Options
Chapter 75: Bad Joke
Chapter 76: House Of Cards
Chapter 77: Bid Farewell
Chapter 78: Everything That Came Before
Chapter 79: Recovery
Chapter 80: Someone's Got To Stay (Book 1 Finale)
Book 2 is out now!

Chapter 35: Progress

787 21 16
By Zach42799

Island of Patch

10:59 PM

264 Days to the Fall

Y/n Pov

Stepping out of the bar with all the information we needed, I closed the door behind me and looked at Torchwick and Neo. Neo was doing a little better now that we were away from the drunks and I wasn't at risk of taking someone else's eye out with a shot glass. Torchwick was the first of us to speak. 

Torchwick: So she's north of here.

Neo: 'And there's a good chance she's there now. Being seen in town just a few hours ago and all.'

Y/n: It shouldn't take to long to get there. Lets get back to the airship.

I didn't want to waste any time. Chances were that Talia's assassin already knew we were coming. She would either set up a ambush or run. If she ran, then there wasn't anything I could do to catch her. More than likely she would run back to Nanda Parbat and straight to Talia. If she set a ambush, then I needed to go in first. Torchwick and Neo were capable, but I wasn't about to risk either. If I could successfully navigate whatever traps she lays out then guide them through it. 

Alternatively, I could take the Atlas approach and just fly straight there and jump with Neo. That would give up our surprise but there was always the chance that we don't have surprise to begin with. League assassins were tricky like that. More than likely, the case is we'd be better off taking a page from Ironwoods playbook. 

I continued to think on how best to do this the whole walk back to the airship. By the time we made it, I decided to take the Atlas approach. Good ole Ironwood should be shaking in his boots right about now. We entered the airship and I relayed the plan. 

Y/n: Alright, we're taking the direct approach. Torchwick, you fly us low over the land and Neo and I will jump down. Find a place to land while Neo and I take care of things. 

Torchwick: Wait a moment, why Neo? If she's dangerous enough to actually catch you in a trap, Neo shouldn't be fighting her!

Y/n: Because your the only one out of us that can reliably fly a airship. Don't worry, She'll have to go through me to get to Neo. 

Neo: 'Don't worry, I'll be ok.'

Torchwick didn't like it but he accepted it. I tapped him on the shoulder and nodded. Torchwick just sighed and went to the cockpit. I sat down and started to play with the crowbar again. Neo was jumping with anticipation. She had been in her share of fights so she knew how to let out excess energy. Thing is, she's never fought a League assassin. Hell, neither have I, but I have seen their work. Where as I'm instinctual and reckless, they're calculated and efficient. There was also my injuries to consider. I was doing good but this was starting to hurt like hell. 

I stayed stuck in my mind until Neo tapped me on the shoulder. She was smiling and doing the closest thing she could do to a giggle. It would have been cute had she not shown me her scroll. I stared in disbelief at what she was showing me. All that ran through my head was "Why....? Why would you do that...?"

(A/n: Didn't think I would actually find a crowbar gun.... This is so cursed @Alph4Scorpion180 )

Y/n: Why!? WHY IS THIS A THING!?

Neo: 'Its everything you use rolled into one!'

*Sob* ....Goddamnit Neo....

After.... That which I refuse to even acknowledge, we were getting close. It was a short ride, but it was enough to scar me. Neo was still laughing, if you could even call it laughing. I put my mask on and just pushed the new layer of PTSD to the side. Torchwick opened the rear cargo door and Neo finished laughing at me. All I could do is shake my head and focus up. 

Torchwick: I'm going in slow and low. You two ready!?

I looked to Neo and she nodded.

Red Hood: We're ready!

We looked back out and saw a abandoned cabin. It was pitch dark but the ruins were visible. I considered having her stay behind but I needed the help. I wasn't at a hundred percent yet and If something went wrong, I wanted a safety net. I was doing a good job pushing through the pain and ignoring it but I wasn't sure if I could make it through a straight fight. Now that I was thinking on it, this might not have been the best idea but it's too late now. 

The airship slowed and came as low as possible before I petal burst with Neo. Landing on the rickety roof, Neo fell on her ass disoriented. It was the first time I had petal burst with her so it was expected. She did better than Roy though, he had puked. I offered her a hand up and we started to move. 

I activated nightvision and pulled a flashbang. I heard movement from inside. Most likely scrambling to respond to the sudden sound. Probably didn't think I would take the loud approach. I pulled the pin and dropped the flash through a hole in the roof. As it detonated, I jumped on a weak section of the roof and fell inward. As I landed, I drew Withered Rose and the crowbar.

Neo followed in after me. There was no movement or sound. I kept my sword in front with the point out. If I was charged from around a corner, all that she would accomplish was impaling herself. The room was decrepit but looked lived in. Neo was already looking through some of the assassins things using the moonlight to see. I walked deeper into the room and towards one of the three doors in the room. 

I stopped for a second and listened. The only thing that could be heard was Neo behind me and the creaking of the wood beneath us. I kicked the door on the handle and it splintered open. I stepped in quickly and cleared the room. It was a bedroom that had most of its furniture upturned. I walked to the closet and didn't bother to open it. I hit the vibration trigger on my sword and rammed it through the closet door. Yanking down and out, the door collapsed in on itself and I poked my head in. Nothing. 

I took another glance around the room and walked back out the room. Neo was still where I last saw her. I heard a bump as I was walking across the room to the next room. I hurried and kicked the door in. This door led to a bathroom. Nowhere to hide. I looked up to the ceiling just to check if she was hanging up there. No such luck.

The third being the charm, I started towards the last door. As I went to boot it down, I heard a gentle thud. I swung around and was kicked through the door. I landed hard on my back as the assassin jumped through the doorway and brought the her sword downward to slash me. I held Withered Rose up and hit the vibration trigger. As her sword made contact, it recoiled back damaged. 

She expertly recovered and threw the damaged sword at Neo. I started to panic as Neo's eyes went wide and the sword pierced her chest. That panic was relieved when she shattered like glass and was using her parasol to attack the assassin. I got up and charged at the assassin as she knocked Neo away. The assassin spun to face me and slashed at my head. I brought the crowbar up to catch her arm and redirect it. She dropped the sword and caught it in her other hand and slashed me across the chest.

The cut was superficial but enough to make me back off. Neo stood up and rushed the assassins side. The assassin turned and slashed Neo but she shattered and Neo landed a good hit on her. The assassin reeled back trying to escape Neo only to end up dealing with me. I hooked the crowbar around the assassins neck and yanked knocking her off her feet. She tried to roll out of the fall but was kicked in the side by me, knocking her into the wall. 

She scrambled to get up charged at me. As she got close, I swiped at her with Withered Rose only for her to jump up and over me, landing a kick on Neo. I turned and caught a kick of my own to the gut. As Neo and I recovered, the assassin was gone. Neo was looking around in the darkness. I however was listening. It wasn't long before I heard what I was wanting. I spun and pushed Neo out of the way and used the crowbar to catch the sword that came out of the darkness. 

I yanked back and the sword came out of the assassins hand. She stepped out of the darkness and feigned a kick. I stepped back and she jumped up grabbing hold of a loose rafter above us and used her forward momentum to kick with both legs. Neo had gotten up as I stepped to the side. This is why I wanted Neo with me. The assassin started to fight with a mirage of me. Neo's semblance was great for tricking and confusing people. It was especially useful in thick darkness like this.

I looked at Neo and she readied her parasol. I crept up behind the assassin just as she landed a hit on my copy. Using the crowbar, I hooked it around her ankle and yanked her off her feet. Neo followed it up with a swing to her head, knocking her to the side and causing her aura to flicker. As the assassin tried to recover from Neo's hit, I finished it off by swinging the crowbar into the side of her head, shattering her aura and knocking her out. 

Neo was breathing heavily while I was staggering. The adrenaline was already starting to wear off and the pain was starting to kick in. I looked around and found a rope. Neo saw me limping and grabbed a chair that wasn't as fucked up as the rest of the furniture. I nodded to Neo and picked up the assassin and placed her in the chair and started tying her hands and legs to the chair. Finishing up with her, I turned to Neo and saw she was giving my the "Really" look again.

Neo: 'I grabbed that for you. Your staggering around like your drunk.'

Red Hood: *Chuckles* If only... Once we finish this up, then I'll rest for the night.

Neo: 'You need more rest than a single night.'

I was about to respond when I stumbled and fell to a knee. Neo rushed to my side to make sure I didn't fall on my face. I waved her off and stumbled to my feet. This wasn't the worst or longest fight I've been in but fuck does it feel like it. My gut ached where I had been torn open. I looked at the assassin and really wanted her dead. I wanted to get her back for blowing me up. But I also wanted to keep her alive.... 

I have one of Talia's assassins tied up and helpless, or rather, as helpless as one of Talia's assassins can be. What are the chances that I'll manage to do something like this again? Probably never, and it would be the ultimate fuck you to Talia. She'll have failed not once, but twice because of me. 

I had a choice to make. Do I let her live and hand her over to Ozpin or do I kill her and send a message that way? I have several small pieces of C4 and could give her a taste of her own medicine or I could keep her alive for interrogation. I don't know what I should do... 

Neo: 'Are you ok?'

Red Hood: I'm fine, Neo.... Help me drag the chair....

Neo: 'Your not going to kill her?'

Red Hood: I probably should.... But no, I'm not.

Neo: 'Wow! That's progress!'

I messaged Torchwick to come pick us up. This was new ground for me. This is a bad person that I'm actually sparing. Yeah, I'm doing it as a fuck you but this feels wrong. Why should I let her live after everything. How many people has she killed? It's not just that she blew me up.... I think.... 

Torchwick got here quickly. We didn't waste any time loading the assassin in the airship. I wanted to hurry this up before I reversed myself and put a bullet in the assassin. The trip back to Vale was quiet. I half hoped that the assassin had a suicide capsule or something and use it. Everything in me was screaming that this was wrong. 

I messaged Ozpin that I had someone he would be interested in. We landed just outside Vale. Torchwick and Neo both needed to disappear before Ozpin's Huntsmen got here. I didn't know who was coming but I hoped that it was team RWBY. JNPR and CFVY haven't had a face to face meeting with me before and tonight wasn't the night for it. 

Torchwick: So.... That's it?

Red Hood: Yeah, we're done. Thanks.

Torchwick: Well, you are letting us work and you've kept your word about not getting in the way. Of course I'll look after a... Business partner.

Neo: 'And your mostly not a asshole!'

Red Hood: *Laughter* Gee, thanks for that. You two should get going, the Huntsmen will be here soon.

Torchwick: Right. Come on, Neo. It's late and tomorrow is going to be busy. 

Torchwick turned to leave but stopped, looking back at me and reaching into his suit.

Torchwick: One more thing... This is for you.

He then tossed me a police radio. It wasn't the same one that I had, obviously, but it had the same value. 

Red Hood: Thanks Roman.

Torchwick: Business partners, remember. Come on, Neo. 

Neo nodded and smiled at me before getting back in the airship. I put the radio in my back pocket and sat on a nearby log, waiting. The assassin still hasn't regained consciousness. Maybe I hit her too hard with the crowbar and she's already dead. Just as I though that, she moved. Well, there goes that notion. 

I checked the time and saw that it was just past twelve. I was effectively turning in early for the night but with the pain I was in, that's probably for the best. I shouldn't have done this so soon after getting up. The bullhead I was waiting on came into view shortly after. I stood up and grabbed the chair and started dragging it further into the open. 

The bullhead landed and the doors opened. Luckily for me, it was team RWBY. Unluckily, they all looked pissed....

Yang: WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING, COMING OUT HERE AND DOING THIS SO SOON AFTER WAKING UP!?

Blake: And all the commotion and damage you did when you woke up!

Weiss: You do know that you injured several student when you BLEW UP THE WORKSHOP, YOU DOLT!

Ruby: All those poor weapons.... They were innocent....

Red Hood: Why cant the rest of you be like Ruby? She has her priorities straight. 

The team (minus Ruby) looked at me dumbfounded while Ruby continued to freak out about all the weapons I supposedly murdered. I shook my head and started to drag the chair into the bullhead. It was at this point that they realized that I had, for once, not killed a target. This left them even more baffled. 

Blake: You actually captured someone, instead of.... Killing them?

Ruby: Is there something wrong with your head?

Red Hood: Shouldn't you be happy that I didn't add to my body count?

Ruby: NO! I MEAN YES! I MEAN-

Weiss: What Ruby is trying to say is yes we should.

Yang: It's progress. Now we just got to get him to stop the whole killing thing entirely!

Red Hood: Yeah... No. Can we go now? You have school in the morning and I'd like to get my appointment with Ozpin over with sooner rather than later.

The team all nodded and got in the bullhead. I took my mask off and lowered my hood. Weiss' eyes lit up when she saw my face, which was adorable. The others saw this and immediately started to tease her. It was actually pretty nice to be around. Yang and Ruby would occasionally look to see if I was still here. I didn't think about it but this has to have taken a toll on them more than their letting on. 

Now when Blake side eyed me, it was probably more making sure I wasn't about to kill them all. I decided that I was going to start fooling around with my guns just to fuck with her. I started by checking the magazines, then I would make sure I had one in the chamber. Every time I looked up, Blake was staring while the rest just carried on. I mean, it's normal to double check this stuff, right? Don't want to get in a fight only to realize your guns empty. 

After checking Black and White, I moved on to Withered Rose. Now I had Ruby's attention too. 

Ruby: I've been wanting to ask, why does your sword look like Uncle Qrow's?

Y/n: Because this is was the sword he based the design around.... And it was Grandpa's sword.

Ruby: Grandpa wasn't a Huntsman...

Y/n: Yang's side.... And before you start Yang, we'll talk about it, just not right now. That's something that I'm sure we both would rather keep private...

Yang nodded and looked away. They all knew I was a bandit and that Raven was with me, but I didn't go into explicit detail. I was dreading that talk with Yang but I figured it was going to happen regardless. Better to just get it done and out of the way now so that it wont be a problem later. 

I finished fooling around with Withered Rose and was about to pull out the crowbar when I paused. I looked to Ruby and Yang only to see the whole team was watching me. I decided against pulling it out. That should probably be saved for a controlled environment and not a airship. Once I get asked about it.... Well it was going to be one hell of a conversation. 

I leaned my head back and just pushed everything out of my mind. The pain in my gut had subsided, thankfully. I was trying my best to not let it show. Ruby sat down next to me and without missing a beat just plopped her head on my shoulder like it was the most natural thing in the world. Yang sat on the other side of me and did the same. It was strange that Yangs disposition towards me would do a one-eighty over the course of three weeks but I welcomed it. 

It was comforting having them back even if things weren't as they were ten years ago. I looked over and saw Blake trying to hide a smile while Weiss wore one proudly. I couldn't help but blush a little and look away. This was all new to me, rather, something I would have to relearn. I spent the last two years completely isolated outside of the people I directly work with and even then I tried to keep a degree of separation between us. Now I was actually starting to let people in, which was terrifying... but also gratifying. 

I started to get sleepy and leaned my head back against bullhead window. Seeing the city from high up was beautiful, even if I knew how much of a sewer it was down below. It was the first time that I actually knew that I wasn't truly alone in years. I began to feel sleep take me, and for the first time in a while....

It was Peaceful...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

116K 1.7K 31
You were abused by your family for what they say, you being weak and useless, the entire Xiao Long/Branwen/Rose family abused you, saw you as a waste...
52 8 4
[This is NOT an Abused and Neglected Male reader story, this is a story about the main character getting stuck in this stereotype as Ruby.] We all kn...
41.1K 517 26
[DISCONTINUED] So this is going to be my first MaleReader abused and neglected story. I will be using an oc for this just to let you know. But anyway...
84.4K 732 4
You were born the son of Taiyang & Female Qrow, grew up unloved. At a young age you left a broken home to build a new life for yourself. Even went on...