Singing Blood

By heavenly_peaches

Marianne Porter, single mother and Mystic Falls' town archivist, never had it particularly easy in life. With... More

Mood Boards
Rose
Katerina
The Sacrifice
The Descent
Daddy Issues
Crying Wolf
The Dinner Party
The House Guest
Know Thy Enemy
The Last Dance
Klaus
The Last Day
The Sun Also Rises
As I Lay Dying
The Birthday
The Hybrid
The End of The Affair
Disturbing Behavior
The Reckoning
Smells Like Teen Spirit
Ghost World
Ordinary People
Homecoming
The New Deal
Our Town

By the Light of The Moon

3.3K 114 22
By heavenly_peaches

"So now we're playing historical society hostesses to some writer who's doing his book on small town Virginia," Jenna explained to Alaric.

I had decided to spent my lunch break at the Mystic Grill together with my best friend and the town's vampire hunter. Well, Jenna had decided she needed my emotional support to survive the lunch date with her lying boyfriend. Yesterday Rose and I had finally enlightened her about the supernatural events and people in this town. To say that Jenna had been furious about being kept in the dark by her own boyfriend and family members was an understatement. I hated seeing her this hurt and angry but after what happened to Slater I didn't want to risk her safety anymore. That included telling her the truth about everything - and I really meant everything. I had told both her and Rose everything the twins had told me and we had spent the entire evening musing about the shadow people, the twins' light friends and what the hell happened with Slater's corpse, not that we actually managed to make any sense of this mess.

"Well that sounds..." Alaric was searching for the right word.

"Lame, yeah, but Carol Lockwood played the "dead husband" and "you owe me for missing three days" card, said she was too busy to deal," I said, rolling eyes, remembering the less than pleasant conversation we had this morning.

"Plus, my sister kept most of the archives, so there you have it," Jenna added.

I sighed heavily, downing my glass of orange juice.

"This is going to be a blast," I remarked sarcastically. "As if I don't already have enough on my hands with digitalizing the rest of the newspapers and incorporating the three cart loads of personal files Carol's secretary hauled into my office yesterday into the archive collections. I swear I need a secretary of my own."

Jenna snorted. "Good luck finding one." Her phone started buzzing in her jeans pocket. She pulled it out, looked at the caller Id and groaned. "Or not. Maybe I'll drop out of college and apply for the job. My thesis adviser is driving me crazy. Sometimes I think he gets a kick out of tormenting me."

I laughed.

"You know I'll hire you at the spot, Jen, but sadly that's not my decision to make. Plus I highly doubt you'd survive more than three days with Carol as your boss."

She grimaced.

"True. I'd rather take my chances with the thesis adviser from hell." She stood up. "Unfortunately I have to get running now. Mr. Hellfire is no doubt calling to make sure I haven't unalived myself yet." She gave Alaric a quick and awkward kiss and pulled me into a hug. "Don't forget our appointment with Carol's writer this afternoon."

"I won't. If I don't make it in time, call 911 and tell them I've drowned in sea of personal files."

She laughed before lifting her finger in warning.

"You'll better not. I need my best friend alive and well."

"Aw...love you too, Jen."

Jenna threw me a kiss and then turned around and hurried out of the grill.

Alaric looked at me with an unreadable expression.

"Is it just me or was Jenna acting...strange today? More reserved than usual. As if she's keeping secrets or something."

I stood up and placed a hand on the history teacher's shoulder.

"Or maybe that's just your conscience speaking. You're the one with the secrets, Ric. I suggest coming clear before you lose her."

He sighed.

"You know it's not that easy, Marianne. This world, the supernatural...it will ruin her."

I shook my head.

"If you think that, you are seriously underestimating her. Take this piece of advise from someone who has known Jenna all her life; don't continue keeping secrets from her. I assure you she can take on any supernatural creature you throw at her, but not this. Secrets destroy relationships, Ric. You should know that better than anyone else."

I patted his shoulders. "I'll have to go now. You know, newspapers and personal files and all that fun stuff."

"Mhmm," he grumbled, downing another glass of bourbon.

As foretold, I spent the next three hours in a sea of personal files, but instead of drowning in it, I kept afloat and even managed to finish digitalizing seven more newspapers. When the time came to meet with Jenna and the writer I was exhausted but content with the work I've done. I was humming all the way to the Gilbert Residence. Nothing could sour my mood - or so I thought until Jenna showed me the closet where all the historical society files were stored.

"Holy shit!" I exclaimed. "I thought it would be one or two boxes at most, not an entire archive worth of files."

"Well, I warned you," Jenna grimaced as she gathered a stack of loose papers in her hands, that had been stacked on top of a box. She pressed them into my hands.

"We have a few more minutes before he shows up. Let's try to get at least some sort of structure into this mess. She grabbed another stack of loose papers and we walked over to the kitchen counter.

"What are these?" I asked as I sorted through the stack of documents that had definitely seen better days.

Jenna shrugged.

"Old city maps, photos, property contracts, surveys, that sort of stuff."

I raised an eyebrow.

"You mean stuff that belongs into an actual town archive? Seriously Jenna, this is a documentation of Mystic Falls' history. You can't just shove it into a closet and let it collect dust. Especially not like this." I held up a dog eared file, half torn with a huge coffee stain covering the text. "This is a whole crime, I'm not even kidding."

Jenna held up her hands.

"Hey, this wasn't me! I've never touched any of this stuff. File a report against the ladies from the historical society."

I snorted.

"I would love to see their faces when Liz Forbes shows up on their doorsteps to arrest them for murdering a one hundred and fifty year old document."

We shared a look and then burst out laughing.

"Ric knows something's up, by the way," I said after we had calmed down. "After you left for your trip to hell he asked me if you're keeping secrets from him."

Jenna snorted and continued to sort the documents into different stacks.

"Mr. Alaric "I'm a secret vampire hunter slash history teacher" Saltzman is accusing me of keeping secrets? That's the worst joke I've ever heard."

I gave her a sideways glance.

"So I take it you want to continue pretending to know of nothing?"

"If they think it's okay to keep me in the dark, I'm allowed to do the same."

I sighed. This wouldn't end well.

We continue sorting the documents in silence.

"You know, I do hope this writer is young and hot," Jenna finally broke the silence, grinning at me. "It's about time you go out and date again."

I groaned.

"I thought we already concluded in 9th grade to leave the matchmaking business to cupid."

She shoved me playfully.

"Hey! My matchmaking skills aren't that bad. Okay, you're right. Derek and Tom were utter fails but I've improved since then."

I shook my head.

"We had this conversation many times during the last six years, Jen. My answer is still the same. I'm irreversibly damaged and that's okay. I don't need a man to be happy. Just give it a rest. Please."

"You're not irreversibly damaged, Marianne. You're just afraid, and I get it. That asshole did a number on you. If he wasn't some hotshot lawyer in New York I would have personally thrown him in prison where he belongs and then flushed the key down the drain. After castrating and beating him up of course. But not every man is going to be like him. It doesn't even have to be a serious relationship. Just get out there and show the world your pretty face." She nudged me and I gave her soft but weary smile.

"Nice try but I don't think I'm ready for this yet. However I do hope the writer is hot so Carol or one of the other historical society ladies takes over and I can go back to my actual job."

The doorbell rang and Jenna grinned mischievously.

"Well, we'll see if he's up to your standards."

With that she left the kitchen to answer the door. A few minutes later she came back, followed by a very familiar man in a suit.

"Marianne, may I introduce you to Elijah Smith? Mr. Smith, this is Marianne Porter, our town historian and archivist."

Elijah smiled at at me, then took my hand and pressed a kiss to my knuckles like a true gentleman.

"It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Miss Porter."

I stared at him, completely dumbfounded. What was he doing here? My eyes shifted to Jenna. He wasn't here to hurt or use her against Elena, was he? I pushed her behind my back and glared at Elijah.

"Why are you here...Elijah?"

His eyes shifted to Jenna and then back to me, a silent question. I nodded, signalizing him he could speak freely.

"Don't worry, elskan. I mean Elena's family no harm, least of all Miss Sommers, seeing as you care so much about her," he explained. He looked at Jenna who blinked at us in confusion, giving her a friendly smile. "Please forgive my earlier...charade, Miss Sommers. I was under the impression you were still being kept in the dark." He looked back at me, a proud smile tucking on his lips. "I should have know my elskan would tell you the truth sooner rather than later." Jenna looked bath and forth between us, until understanding was suddenly dawning on her face.

"Wait, you are the Elijah?", she asked, eyes growing wide. "The original?"

He nodded.

She groaned and hit her palm against her forehead.

"Shit! This means I've let another vampire into the house without knowing. Dammit! I really need to start getting better at this. Wait, you're not here to do research for your book, are you?"

Elijah shook his head, looking slightly apologetic.

"No. However I do wish to take a look at the files you and elskan have so graciously prepared for me nonetheless."

Jenna nodded.

"Of course. Marianne and I just started organizing some of the loose documents. There are still the boxes in the closet, though."

She walked to the closet under the stairs. Elijah and I followed her, though I noticed how his eyes remained fixed on me. I tried my best to pretend to be unbothered by it, but as his hand brushed my back, sending sparks of electricity through me, my heart skipped several beats while I held my breath. From the corner of eye I could see his lips curving up into a devious smile. Oh, he knew exactly what he was doing to me. Dammit! Stupid vampires and their heightened senses.

As Jenna opened the closet door he decided to stay back, leaning against the door frame leading to the dinner room, eyes still fixed on me.

"Please tell me the files in the boxes are in a better condition than the ones in the kitchen. I don't think I can survive seeing any more massacred documents without murdering someone myself."

Jenna shrugged before kneeling down and pulling out the first box.

"I don't know. Like I said, I have never touched any of this stuff. This was all under Miranda's regime."

I gasped as I saw the burnt remains of what probably once was a hand drawn layout plan of a nineteenth century hut sticking out of the box.

"Please excuse me for saying this, Jen, but if your sister wasn't already dead I would have killed her right about now."

I carefully pulled the document out of the box and examined it. Luckily none of the drawn lines had been touched. The burnt edges of the paper could be fixed fairly easily.

"What's the diagnosis, Dr. Porter?" Jenna asked, watching me as I concluded my examination. "Can the patient be fixed?"

I nodded.

"Thankfully the fire hasn't touched any of the actual layout plan. I can restore the burnt paper, but I need to take it with me."

"Well, I'm glad to hear that. Now if you would stop fussing over that damn piece of paper and help me with the boxes, please?"

I rolled my eyes at her, but put the layout plan to the side and did as asked.

A few minutes later Elena came down the stairs. She smiled at me and then frowned as she saw her aunt kneeling in front of the closet.

"Hey, what are you two doing?"

Jenna looked up at her niece after pulling out the last of the boxes.

"Perfect timing."

She gave the box to Elena, who observed said box skeptically.

"What is this stuff?"

"Your mom's files from the Historical Society," Jenna explained. Marianne and I got roped into helping Mrs. Lockwood and by roped, I mean very excited to participate."

She closed the closet door, revealing Elijah stilling leaning against the door frame. Elena immediately panicked as she saw the original innocently smiling at her, almost dropping the box she was carrying. I glared at him. If he had caused the teenager to drop the box, damaging even more documents in the process, I would make sure he would never hear the end of it.

"Hey, I'm Elijah,"

"Elijah's in town doing research on Mystic Falls," Jenna said, playing her part of the still unsuspecting human perfectly.

Elijah walked toward Elena, giving her his hand in greeting.

"It's a pleasure."

The doppelgänger reluctantly took the offered hand, shaking it while she continued staring at him nervously.

Jenna lifted up a stack of boxes.

"So you're welcome to stay here and rummage through this stuff or Elena, Marianne and I could help you load it into your car."

"Or I can get someone to pick it up tomorrow," Elijah suggested, taking his eyes off Elena.

"Also a good plan."

After he had helped Jenna, Elena and me to place the boxes in five neat stacks against next to the closet, he turned to Jenna.

"Thank you so much for inviting me into your home, Jenna; and Elena..." he shifted his eyes toward the doppelgänger. "I hope to see you again sometime soon."

With that he left. Elena immediately grabbed my hand and pulled me up the stairs.

"Wha-?"

She frantically hammered against Jeremy's door. I felt a cool breeze next to me, a hand on my wrist and in the next moment I found myself pressed against Elijah's chest as he stood pressed against the wall, one arm wrapped around me, while he had lifted one finger to his lips as Jeremy opened the door, signalizing Elena to not alert her brother.

"What is it?" Jeremy asked Elena, sticking his head out of the door.

"Jenna was just asking me to get you to help her with the boxes," Elena said.

Not catching the tension in Elena's voice, Jeremy nodded.

"Okay."

With that, he walked down the stairs to Jenna.

"A wise choice," Elijah remarked, still refusing to release me of his hold, not that I was complaining. I liked being in his arms, which was slightly alarming. I hadn't be able to stand being pressed so close to a man for over six years. Ever since the night the night the twins had been conceived.

Elena glared at him.

"What do you want?"

"I think it's time you, Marianne and I had a little chat."

Elena led Elijah and me into her room. Elijah went straight to the seating area at the window, pulling me behind.

"Forgive the intrusion. I mean your family no harm," he said to Elena before sitting down and pulling me into his lap. A part of me wanted to resist, but another, stronger, unknown and yet ancient part craved affection and before I knew what I was doing I found myself snuggling comfortable against his chest, suddenly feeling very drowsy.

"Why did you kill those vampires when they tried to take me?" Elena asked, eyeing our open display of affection with a mixture of confusion, curiosity and nervousness.

"Because I didn't want you to be taken," Elijah stated, his fingers painting circles on my arm. "Klaus is the most feared and hated of the Originals, but those that fear him are desperate for his approval. If word gets out that the doppelgänger exists, there'll be a line of vampires eager to take you to him and I can't have that."

Elena frowned.

"Isn't that exactly what you're trying to do?"

"Let's just say that my goal is not to break the curse."

"So, what is your goal?"

"Klaus' obsession has made him paranoid. He's a recluse. He trusts only those in his immediate circle."

"Like you?"

"Not anymore."

Was it just me or did he sound...sad as he said those two words? I snuggled closer to him in comfort and he responded by wrapping his arm tighter around me.

"You don't know where he is, do you?" Elena mused, then understanding dawned on her face. "So you're trying to use me to draw him out."

"Well, to do that I need you to stay put and stop trying to get yourself killed."

"How do I know you're telling the truth?"

"If I wasn't being truthful, I'd be taking you to Klaus right now. Instead, I'm here and I'm prepared to offer you a deal."

Elena raised an eyebrow in surprise.

"What kind of a deal?"

"Do nothing," Elijah stated simply. "Do nothing, live your life, stop fighting and then, when the time is right, you and I shall draw out Klaus together and I shall make sure your friends remain unharmed."

"And then what?"

"Then I kill him."

I flinched slightly. Something about the mental image of Elijah killing Klaus felt very wrong.

"Just like that?" Elena asked, an incredulous look on her face.

"Just like that. I'm a man of my word, Elena. I make a deal, I keep a deal."

"How are you gonna be able to keep everybody safe?"

"I notice you have a friend; Bonnie, is it? She seems to possess the gift of magic. I have friends with similar gifts."

"You know witches."

"Together, we can protect everybody that matters to you. So, do we have a deal?"

I personally thought the deal to be fair. However, I did notice that Elijah never once said anything about keeping Elena safe. I would have to talk to him about this.

"I need you to do one more thing for me."

"We're negotiating now?" Elijah sounded amused.

"My...friend, Stefan, he's currently trapped in a magically sealed tomb underneath Fell's Church together with Katherine. If you get your witch friends to unseal the tomb so he can leave, I'll agree to your deal."

Elijah sighed.

"Alright. Consider it done."

While Elijah and Elena were discussing the details of their deal, I left the room and went downstairs to fill Jenna in.

"Do you think Elijah will keep his word?" Jenna asked, taking another spoonful of ice cream into her mouth. We were currently leaned against the kitchen counter, a bucket of vanilla ice cream between us.

"I can't really explain why or how but I trust him."

Jenna gave me a knowing sideway glance.

"Mhmm."

"What?"

"Oh, I'm just wondering how long it will take you to fall for his charm, if you haven't already."

I narrowed my eyes and raised my spoon at her.

"Jenna Sommers! Stop trying to play matchmaker! I did not fall for his charm."

She snorted.

"Sure, and I'm Queen Victoria."

"Well, then you and Ric have to step up your game and fix your relationship. She had nine children and your biological clock is ticking."

She groaned before taking another spoon of ice cream.

"If I ever give birth to nine children, please bury me in the backyard. Being the legal guardian of two teenagers is already exhausting enough. I'm truly having newfound respect for all mothers who manage to juggle job, kids and a healthy social life perfectly the way Miranda did."

I dug my spoon into the ice cream bucket before lifting it up in a celebratory manner.

"To Miranda Sommers-Gilbert! The role model we all strive for."

Jenna chuckled before clinking her spoon against mine. Then her eyes traveled toward the family picture that hung on the wall and her expression got serious.

"She's probably cursing me in her grave right now for doing such a terrible job at protecting her children."

I placed a hand on her arm.

"Hey, you are doing the best you can. That's all she ever expected from you. Jeremy got over his drug addiction and I promise you that we will save Elena. With Elijah on our side I do believe we have a solid chance against Klaus."

"You mean on your side," she corrected me. "If Elijah is truly helping us, then he's doing it for you. I'll tell you Marianne, this man is more than interested in you. He kept staring at you the entire evening."

"Yes, and I'm sure he can hear every word you say," I whispered back, feeling the heat rising in my cheek.

In the next moment we heard someone clearing his throat behind us and as we turned around, we saw Elijah leaning against the door frame.

"Jesus!" Jenna gasped and clasped her hand over her heart. "Do you vampires always have to sneak up on me like this? One of these days I'll die of a heart attack."

Elijah gave her an apologetic smile.

"Please forgive me. Jenna. It was not my intention to startle you."

His eyes traveled to me, full of affection, love and longing, I barely remembered to breathe for a moment.

"Uh, did you concluded your deal with Elena?" I asked, clearing my throat awkwardly.

He nodded.

"I did. My witches are lifting the tomb spell as we speak and I will deliver the good news to Stefan shortly." He stepped closer, taking my hands in his. "However I find myself reluctant to leave your side again so soon."

"Well, then how about Marianne accompanies you to the tomb?" Jenna suggested, a wide grin on her face. I glared at her. She just rolled her eyes at me. "Oh, don't look at me like that. Just admit you want to go with him too. There's nothing keeping you from it. The twins are having a sleepover at Sophie's tonight. So off you go!"

She winked at me before shoving me slightly closer to Elijah. He smiled and offered me his arm.

"Shall we?"

I took a deep breath and nodded before taking his offered arm.

I was incredibly nervous during the whole trek through the woods to the ruins. Not so much because it was full moon and I knew that Tyler Lockwood was currently undergoing his first transformation somewhere in these woods. No, the cause for my nervousness was the handsome original who had slowed down his steps to walk right next to me. It was the first time we were all alone and while I trusted him not to kill me or anything, his close proximity made it really hard for me to concentrate on anything else. I would have stumbled over countless branches and roots if Elijah hadn't stopped in front of every obstacle to over me his hand and help me climb over it.

"I'm sorry we're walking at such a snail pace," I told him after he had helped me over yet another obstacle.

"You don't need to apologize, elskan. It is a lovely full moon night and I quite enjoy our little trek through nature:"

"I'm sure you do," I mumbled under my breath before giving him a sideways glance.

"Are you not afraid of getting attacked by werewolves?"

His lips curved into an amused smile.

"You mean Tyler Lockwood? Don't worry, elskan. It takes a lot more than a freshly triggered werewolf to harm an original. You'll find that we are more...resistant than normal vampires."

I nodded.

"I'd figured as much, seeing as Damon impaled you on that coat rack and yet you are still here."

His lips twitched.

"Disappointed?"

I shook my head.

"No, I'm glad he didn't kill you."

He stopped and brushed his knuckles over my cheek.

"I would never allow anyone to keep me from you, much less an arrogant young vampire."

I swallowed at the sincerity in his voice.

"Why me?" I whispered. "I'm sure a man like you has no shortage of admirers. Why did you choose me? You know about the twins. Most men would have fled over the next hill by now:"

"Well, for one, I am not most men. And two, to me you are irreplaceable, elskan." He cupped my face with both hands. "You are my soul mate, my destined one, the person I've been longing to find for over a millennium. Now I won't pretend that there has never been another woman in my life, but they all meant nothing compared to you. There will only ever be you, from now for all eternity."

I stared at him wide-eyed, taken aback by his confession. I had a vague idea about soul mates, thanks to the twins, but never in a million years had it crossed my mind that I would find my own soul mate so soon. Suddenly it all made sense. The way I felt in his presence, the sparks, the reason he killed Trevor...a part of me wanted to jump into his arms and never let go. But the other part, the one that was broken, that was still remembering the day I had been locked up in that dark room with him, screaming for help until I passed out in a puddle of my own blood and body fluids...that part was too afraid of getting hurt again.

"I don't think I'm ready for a relationship," I whispered, gently pushing his hands away. "I'm damaged goods, Elijah. You deserve someone who's mind doesn't jump straight back to relive the worst minutes of her life every time you're being intimate. I'm simply not worth the effort." I turned around, ready to go, but before I could take one step, Elijah had grabbed my wrist.

"You are worth every effort it takes to keep you in my life, elskan. We can take it slow, get to know each other first. You decide the pace. I won't be going anywhere."

I contemplated on his words for a moment. Could I risk it? I thought back at Jenna's words from earlier that day. She had been right. I needed stop being afraid, release the hold he had over me or he would have won. I looked at Elijah, his brown eyes glinting in the moonlight.

"Okay," I said finally, taking his hand. "We'll take it slow. I can't promise there won't be times I will freak out but I'll try my best."

He smiled at me.

"You have no idea how happy you just made me, elskan."

Fifteen minutes later we arrived at the tomb. Stefan and Katherine must have heard us approaching, because they already waited at the tomb entrance as we entered. Both Stefan's and Katherine's eyes grew wide as they saw Elijah, though Stefan caught himself soon whereas Katherine was absolutely frightened.

"Elijah," she breathed, taking a few steps back.

He smiled at her.

"Good evening Katerina. Thank you for having the good sense to be frightened."

His eyes shifted to Stefan who had looked at me questioningly, no doubt wondering what I was doing here with the original.

"Your release has been requested."

Stefan frowned.

"What? By who?"

"The lovely Elena drives a hard bargain. However, we reached a peaceful agreement, she and I. Please." Elijah stepped to the side and gestured for Stefan to come out. "Come."

Stefan shook his head.

"I can't."

"Yes, you can." I said, smiling at him reassuringly. "Elijah had the spell lifted."

Stefan looked at me, then back to Elijah before slowly placing one foot out of the entrance. When he realized there was no barrier stopping him, he nearly jumped out. Katherine tried to take her chance and vamp speed out of the tomb, but Elijah was faster, blocking her way with his body.

"As for you however, you should not exit until I say so. When Klaus comes, he'll want to know exactly where you are."

Once he had finished compelling her he looked at Stefan who observed him warily.

"You're free to go. Elena will explain the arrangement to you. If she keeps her word, I'll keep mine." Elijah held out his hand for me. "Come, elskan. I'll accompany you back to your car." I took his hand and we left.

Once we had left the tomb, I felt my phone vibrate in my jeans pocket. I pulled it out and looked at the caller ID.

"It's Rose," I told Elijah. "Please wait a moment."

He nodded and stepped to the side to give me some privacy.

"Rose," I answered the call. "How are you?"

When I heard Rose sniffing and sobbing on the other end of the line, my mood changed immediately.

"What's going on, Rose? What happened? Did Damon do something? Please answer me!"

"Can you...can you come to the Boarding House? I want to see you."

"Of course. I'll be there shortly. What happened?"

"I...I don't have much time left," she whispered.

"What do you mean you don't have much time left? Rose?"

Dread began to fill me. Something had happened to Rose. Something terrible. I could feel it in my bones.

"I'm going to die, Marianne."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5K 132 14
It has been over fourteen years since Ally's heart had broken and her soul was torn in half. She had to pull herself together and heal for her friend...
276K 9.1K 23
Spencer Stilinski is the younger twin - by two minutes - of Stiles Stilinski. They were as closer as two people could be. They shared a bestfriend, h...
3.4K 121 32
There was a certain allure to her, even before you knew her you could feel it pulling you towards her. Everyone in the village knew her, being in her...
6K 309 7
When Aurora was 9 years old she met a women named Jenna. She was a college student in her final year. She gave her the name Rory. A year later she w...