Inscribed In The Stars

Da AmeliaValerie

SEQUEL TO WRITTEN IN THE STARS *UPDATES EVERY 19TH OF MONTH* Dalia Al-Ruwaisi, eldest Princess to the Kingdom... Altro

Disclaimer
Character list and Moodboards
Part 1 - Rughad (Prologue)
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Part 2 - Balqaas (Chapter 9)
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16

Chapter 7

354 27 7
Da AmeliaValerie

The thunderous drumming and jubilant cheers of the audience vibrated her palanquin as they crossed the city.

But for Dalia, the poems of celebration and joy sounded like nothing but a farewell song. The words that hummed past the lips of her people, sent her salutations and blessings on the journey ahead, but it only caused rivers to stream from her eyes. 

Despite their wishes to see their beloved Princess off, Dalia refused to draw open the thin silk curtains, lest she wanted to expose to the crowd how she truly felt. Heartbreak, dispare, fear and worst of all, betrayal.

The last words of her father haunted her out of sleep last night, mixed in with the fear of having to leave her home.

And so she sacrificed the last look of her home, preferring to shut her eyes instead and allow her emotions to numb her mind.

***

Enjoying the comforting warmth of the afternoon sun's rays, Thaina awaited in the shade of her ornate veranda, a lavish assortment of delightful nibbles paired with exquisite refreshments spread in front of her. She patiently sipped on her freshly squeezed orange juice, entranced at the way the gossamer drapes danced in the slight breeze, as she waited for her beloved to arrive. 

Since his coronation, her husband had been nothing but busy. Thaina understood all too well but the speckle of disappointment that tucked itself in the corner of her heart was tenaciously stubborn. The few moments they had together were precious. On multiple occasions, Harun had even slipped away just to see her but the sense of guilt and responsibility only drew him back to resuming his duties. 

But today, he had promised to see her, no matter what.

Harun caught a glimpse of his wife's silhouette when he entered their room. As much as he wanted to hastily close the gap between them, he steadied his steps and his breathing as he crept to the doors of the veranda. Her face was turned away from the door, fixed elsewhere. Harun carefully peered through the drapes and the sight of her blossomed a fond memory.

Harun quietly drew open the doors and leaned against its doorframe, admiring her from there. She still hadn't noticed his presence. 

Harun cleared his throat. 

Thaina whipped her head at the familiar sound, her face lighting up with joy. She lifted herself off the cushions but Harun closed the gap between them first, engulfing her in his arms.

Harun buried his face in her hair, inhaling her rosy almond scent.

"I missed you," he whispered.

Thaina laughed. "I missed you too, how long were you standing there for?"

Harun loosened his arms and drew back. He gently tucked a strand of chestnut hair behind her ears and cupped her cheek. 

"I had hoped to wait till you noticed me, but you were so absorbed in your thoughts, I was worried I'd be standing forever!"

Thaina placed her hand over his.

"What is on your mind Habibati?" Harun enquired.

She shook her head. "Nothing,"

"Are you sure?" he prodded, his eyes dropping from hers and he drew closer.

"There was one thing," Thaina admitted, which made him pause. His eyes returned to hers.

"I was contemplating all the reasons why you were taking your valuable time to arrive. I thought you were eager to spend time with your beloved wife," she started, slowly running her fingers over his full beard, until she reached his chin.

"But clearly, you weren't looking forward to it as much as I was,"

Her eyes, which had been following the trail of her fingers now glanced at her husband's eyes. When his met hers, she turned her face away from him trying to tamper the smile that crept up the corner of her painted lips. 

Harun's eyes narrowed. He wrapped his arms around her and tugged her onto his lap. 

Thaina's wavy locks curtained their faces as they drew closer, but a sudden flash of movement from the corner of her eyes made her pull back. She slid off his lap and adjusted herself, embarrassed that they had company.

And unwanted company. Harun had given strict orders to not be disturbed unless it was absolutely urgent. He got up and stomped over to the doors to their room, but upon recognising Salma, his sister-in-law's handmaiden, his anger dampened with worry. 

Haifa was away from the Palace, staying with her mother to help with the  preparations for her sister's wedding, and Salma had gone with her.

"Please forgive me, I was told you had a strict order to be left undisturbed, but I bring an important message from Sahib Abbas." She prattled without pause the moment he opened the doors to her. "The letter was addressed to Sahiba, but it contains crucial information for you,"

She handed him the folded parchment, apologised once more and took her leave.

"Is everything alright with Haifa?" Thaina asked, meeting him at the doors.

As his eyes scanned the pages, Thaina watched silently, noticing his brows furrow deeper and deeper and time passed. He dropped his hand and sighed, then folded the letter once more and tucked it into his waistband.

Thaina raised her brows in question.

"It's from Abbas." he said, before walking back to the cushions. 

Harun took a seat and poured himself a glass of juice. He lifted it to his lips and drank the entire cup, his senses too numb to appreciate the taste. He was about to pour himself another glass when a hand stopped him.

"Is something the matter?" She said, taking the glass out of his hands.

Harun shook his head.

"Is Abbas okay? Did something happen in Rughad?" She pressed further, her voice raising with worry. It had been a precarious move for Abbas to waltz into enemy lands, and the whole family was on edge, preparing themselves for the worst that could happen. Thaina couldn't even imagine what was going through her sister-in-law's head, how she was coping, for surely the stress wasn't good for her or the child she was carrying. 

"Habibi-" she started.

"He is a day away from Balqaas," Harun interrupted. 

"Alhamdulillah! Haifa will be overjoyed-" Thaina uttered, sighing in relief, but when she noticed her husband's still sour expression, she paused.

Harun did not meet her eyes.

Thaina kept her head down, fiddling with the pearls of her dress. The cogs slowly turned in her head and her lips sealed shut. They both sat in silence as the sun made its final descent over the horizon.

"Abbas has returned home with the Princess."

Thaina inhaled slowly, the beating of her heart thrumming louder every second. She nodded slowly.

Harun watched her. He saw how her mouth struggled to keep itself from dropping, and yet a moment later, she perked up, giving him the brightest smile. But Harun knew the difference. He knew her every expression all too well, and it broke his heart that she was trying to smile. For him.

"Who knew Abbas had the negotiation skills to convince the Kingdom of Rughad?" Thaina teased.

Harun's lips pressed into a thin line.

"But Alhamdulillah, he did it. We managed to avoid a conflict Alhamdulillah,"

He opened his mouth to repeat the same gratitude but his voice stopped short. Instead he apologised.

"I didn't mean to ruin this moment for you, I am sorry,"

Thaina bit her lip, looking away to blink away the glassy film that had melted over her eyes. 

"Thaina-" Harun continued but she stood up and walked over to the side that overlooked the entire city.

Harun got up to follow her but she had already turned back to him with a sad smile.

"We will be okay," She whispered, the sun casting its final glow behind her. Harun would have appreciated the moment, how beautiful she looked standing in the last of the sun's golden embrace, if not for the vicious battle he saw raging behind her eyes; that of selfishness and selflessness. 

And he wished she would let her selfishness win for once, but he already knew the outcome, and he knew his wife well enough too. Thaina would never let her personal interests triumph.

Harun closed the distance between them. He held her so tight in his arms, afraid that if he were to loosen his strength, she would disappear with the departing sun. He buried his face in the crook of her shoulder blade, savouring the feel of her skin against his lips.

Voices called out for him in the distance. The whole Palace had started buzzing with the news of Abbas' return. Harun wanted to ignore it all, just for the rest of today but the voices only became more frantic.

"Go," Thaina choked.

Harun did not move.

"Go to them," 

Harun released her and before hesitation settled, he strode away without looking back once at his beloved wife.

Glossary:

Habibti - My Love (Addressing a female)

Sahib - Lord

Sahiba - Lady

Habibi - My Love (Addressing a male)

Alhamdulillah - Thank God

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerร  anche

1.2K 127 10
DO NOT PLAGIARIZE MY WORK have some conscience and write your own.. The Crowned prince Shahzaib Al-Qadri, set out to explore the southern kingdom f...
10.7K 560 29
Ranked no.3 #islam Ranked no. 7 #turkey Ranked no. 3 #islamiclovestories "You have two choices, you either divorce your wife and get your father's la...
21.2K 1.6K 48
๐๐Ž๐Ž๐Š โ…  ๐Ž๐… ๐‘๐€๐‰๐๐”๐“๐ˆ-๐๐€๐ˆ๐’๐€ ๐“๐‘๐ˆ๐‹๐Ž๐†๐˜ Shefali Roy had lost her parents in a pandemic when she was just one year old. That was the...