Breaking Apathy

By joashi

Eden - normal. Life - bound by rules. So what trouble comes with a storm of events that lead to his unlikely... More

Chapter 1 : The Task
Chapter 2: Delivery Day
Chapter 3: Delivery day 2
Chapter 4: Day In and Day Out
Chapter 5: Does She Own Me Now?
Chapter 6: The Mother Of All Takedowns!
Chapter 7: What Enemies Shouldn't Know..
Chapter 8: What happened?
Chapter 9: The cradle
Chapter 10: Who's who?
Chapter 11: I know her name, not her
Time
Chapter 12 : I Need You
Chapter 13: A Heart Flip
Chapter 14: The Crash Of The Crush
Chapter 15: Breaking Apathy
Chapter 16: To Get Her
Chapter 17: ... Disbelief In The Relief...
Chapter 18 : Friends
Chapter 19: I'm Definitely
Chapter 20: What I Am Now
Chapter 21: Naked
Chapter 22: Never Too Old Too Learn
Chapter 23: For Her
Filler: We Sync
Chapter 24: The Veil of Kain
Filler: The Decision Is Final
Chapter 25: The Reason
Curtain Call

Chapter 3.1: Self Study Commotion

161 17 9
By joashi

The first day of the forced leave from school left me awake at six in the morning in the kitchen as usual. I always woke earlier than the others to make breakfast. But the only difference was that I wore my pj bottoms with no shirt instead of my uniform. There was nothing planned for the day and I had absolutely no clue about what could possibly be done about that. Flipping the eggs over in the pan and pressing on the egg with a spatula, Kayla decided to be the first to appear. She walked to me and tugged at my pants to get my attention. The band wasn't tight enough so I felt the band of my pants slip off my hips a little. My hand reacted fast enough and grabbed the band, my head turned to her. Half awake, Kayla smiled at me and scratched her cheek. I abandoned my eggs for a moment to kneel down and fix the collar of her uniform. The rest of my family trickled in, dad always being the last.

“Well that's a difference,” my dad commented before taking a seat at the table. “Eden isn't in uniform today.”

“But I didn't expect him to come out like that,” Layla commented, plopping her bouncy self at the table too.

I stood and continued frying the eggs before I spoke.

“Sorry. I didn't expect any of you to actually wake on time.”

Kayla dragged her feet to the table and sat on her chair, a yawn escaping her lips, “Layla kept kicking last night. I tried to wrestle her awake but she won.”

My dad laughed with Layla. I gave a small chuckle to the matter and began plating breakfast for the others. Kayla pouted and shrugged it off before she began bugging dad for her own bed. The conversations in the mornings were so lively. It was the small peace I had before running about the day. I sat at the table too, but there was no plate in front of me. I just held a water bottle and listened to the discussions, my stomach void of hunger. A nudge under the table turned my attention to dad. His smile looked slightly faded from its usual genuine joy. The girls kept on talking and dad found this the opportune time to talk to me.

“Hey... You're losing more weight. Why aren't you eating breakfast?” he asked softly, careful enough to slip unnoticed by the girls.

I took a moment to look down. It was true. I hadn't noticed that I'd lost more weight. The ball joints in my shoulders were jutting out a little. The flesh underneath my skin wasn't thick enough to hide my rib cage too. Hesitantly, I looked at my dad. My hand rubbed up the opposite arm as I put forth a smile. I'd forgotten to eat a couple of times, even if I always do the cooking. Hunger pangs never occurred.

“Nah,” I started in a whisper. “I'll pick it up dad.”

“Well... you could start with breakfast,” he suggested, handing over his plate after he ate a little. “It's a shame for such a great cook to not eat his own food.”

He stood and rounded up the girls to go. Each of the girls gave me a quick kiss on the cheek before they sprinted out the door to the car. I stood and waved to them as they disappeared out the kitchen. My hand limply dropped to my side. Dad noticed it again. I could never get how a simple look could reveal so much. But he never sat down and talked to me about it. It was like he was scared or something, though that is impossible because it’s not affecting him.

Clearing out the table without eating, I mindlessly did the dishes. A whole day without school.  I had no idea what to do. Studying is in order of course but after two hours of it, I’d have practically finished my reading for the day. I sighed while wiping my hands with the dish towel.

“I’ll figure it out later,” I said to myself, pushing away the bother thinking brought.

I hung the dish towel neatly on the oven handle and made my way up stairs. My room was in a mess, which was too untamed for my liking but I guess it could occupy all the time I seemed to have. Trading in my pj bottoms for some normal clothes, I opted for an oversized black t-shirt with a sleeveless ‘Guns-n-Roses’ hoodies, black jeans and nothing more. I don’t take much time to dress as most of my clothing suits the many moods that I do have.

Thirty minutes later – after a clean house and a brief flick through channels on TV – I was sitting in the lounge with my books sprawled across the table. I held my Geography text book near me, the bottom of it pressed against my chest as my free hand tapped a pencil on the colourful diagrams. The topics seemed somewhat interesting as it worked around plate tectonics. Volcanoes, rifts – it was quite enjoyable to me. But that pure moment of enjoyment was short lived when a pair of arms wrapped around me. My heart galloped. I didn’t check if the door was locked and now is the time I started regretting it. Wrapping my hands on the forearm of the assailant, I tried my best to loosen his grip but the sheer force couldn’t be matched by my weak brunt. I started to panic. My mind heightened in fear to the point that my body trembled. Please stop!

LET ME GO!” I shouted in full-on panic.

... and I was let go. Puzzled by this, I scurried across the room and turned ‘round to see Kain standing there. He burst out in laughter and held his stomach as it probably ached. I immediately dropped into a bad mood. I officially hate this guy. Balling my fists and replacing my fear filled face with non-chalance, I watched as Kain dropped to his knees with laughter. Behind him stood Jordan, who seemed as unamused by his show as I was. But her smirk disproved that thought. They’re the same.

“It’s a crime to trespass. Get out before I –“

“Before you what?” Kain spat back mid- laughter. “Throw me out? Good luck doing that!”

I cursed under my breath and turned, leaving the room and heading to the kitchen. I had no idea what the kitchen would help me with, but I just couldn’t stand being in the same room as them. Shortly, I’d wish I was facing them.

“Hey!” Kain called out. “Eden? I’m not done! That was a joke man!”

I rolled my eyes and turned around, wanting to retort to those words. Unfortunately, I was abruptly cut off with a body slam to the wall that winded me. Coughing for air as a hand gripped my shoulder and pinned me to the wall, I opened my eyes slightly to see Jordan standing in front of me. She had used her body weight to press me to the wall. Just as I was about to shove her out of my face, her brother came and patted her shoulder to let me go.

“Easy tiger,” he said to her while chuckling. “Well, I just wanted to find out if there’s any more news from Candice?”

I scowled at Jordan and spoke to her brother.

“The letter you got yesterday was all she asked me to communicate. You’re sister said she was collecting it on your behalf,” I said through gnashed teeth before looking at Kain.

He shrugged, “Yeah, I got that. Along with your message of ‘tell Kain not to be so lazy’. Well, to please you, I decided to drop by.”

I groaned and pushed past both of them. I wasn’t a mouse to corner and it irritated me when he did that. Heading back to the lounge, I sat on the couch and glared at both of them.

“State your business and quit harassing me,” I said, mimicking the venom Kain had in his threats.

Throwing his body onto the couch beside me, Kain made no reluctant move to respect my house. He just acted as if it were his home and no one else mattered. My mood worsened when his arm flung around me. Who the hell does he think he is?

“Well! I gotta go to our soccer boot camp for a week and I kinda won’t be around,” he informed me.

HALLE- FREAKING-LUJAH!

“But,” he added on, making me bend over in dismay, “Jordan will manage to give you my messages. You should keep up your part and there won’t be any problem.”

There really was no escape was there? He won’t even take a break. Looking at Jordan and thinking of the numerous meetings we may have, I over worked my brain to figure how to get out of this.

“I can give you her number!” I said ingeniously, “That way you both can personally keep in touch! No middle man!”

I freaking love technology!

“Nah,” he replied with a shrug. “Candice prefers letters. She says it’s valuable when a person takes time out to think on a person and write to them.”

I hate women’s preferences. Complicated creatures...

Giving up I nodded. I wanted to be alone today. And possible be alone for a long while. Kain was hindering my want and I tried to make it clear by my flippant behaviour. But I guess I wasn’t doing enough. Patting my thigh with his stone like feel, Kain smirked and leaned forward.

“I’m glad you comply so willingly. It’s nice to see some good people left isn’t it Jo?” he asked his sister, who gave him a nod in response.

I scoffed and got out of my seat, heading to the door and opening the door for them. It wasn’t a courteous manner that I did it in because once it was open, I pointed outside,

“I’d appreciate it if you could take your leave now. I need to study,” I informed them harshly, not taking any slack of an answer from either of them.

Kain got up to his feet and put his hands up to surrender; he nodded his compliance and led his sister out of my house. Before I could shut my door, I heard her comment. ‘Spineless wuss.’ I closed my door after that and sighed. I don’t care much for words. But when people become too familiar with me, I can get a little irritable. I guess I’ll be seeing more of Jordan than I initially intended to. Great...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8K 44 8
what happens when a fan comes into his life and changes everything? will he end up happy with her or will it all coming crashing down ?
209K 7.7K 58
in which, he falls for the girl across the world. real life / social media
51.3K 1.4K 41
nothing ever changes, until everything changes. måneskin fanfic damiano returns home for the first time in a year without contact, everything change...
23 0 10
Chelsea is 20. she really wants a kid but she doesn't have a boyfriend. she can't go thru adoption cuz she has a criminal record from her past. one n...