Sing With Us (One Piece OC)

By jesse_fanficmama

!!BROOK'S BACKSTORY SPOILERS!! (Thriller Bark arc) Escaping her arrest for her unique devil fruit abilities... More

Chapter 1 - A Whale and His Crew
Chapter 2 - Captain Calico Yorki
Chapter 3 - Smiles and a Song
Chapter 4 - Past and Future
Chapter 5 - Failed Manoeuver
Chapter 6 - The Rumbar Policy
Chapter 7 - A Special Bond
Chapter 8 - Tracked Down
Chapter 9 - Cutting It Close
Chapter 10 - Blood and Bounty
Chapter 11 - In a Small Package
Chapter 12 - Just a Little Fun
Chapter 14 - Let the Music Play
Chapter 15 - Sea King Takedown
Chapter 16 - A Family of Friends
Chapter 17 - They Wouldn't
Chapter 18 - The Opportune Moment
Chapter 19 - Loose Cargo
Chapter 20 - Our Final Farewell
Chapter 21 - As the Years Go By
Chapter 22 - Young Apprentices
Chapter 23 - Hunters & Straw Hats
Chapter 24 - A New Promise
Chapter 25 - Grand Line Rookies
Chapter 26 - Until We Meet Again
Alternate Ending - If Gwen Joined Luffy
Song Credits

Chapter 13 - Daggers in the Dark

67 3 0
By jesse_fanficmama

I woke up to Arito lightly shaking my shoulder.

Arito: "Wake up, Pip. Come on, we're here."

Gwen: "*yawn* G'morning, Arito..."

Arito: "It's evening, silly. Get up, time for your test."

Gwen: "My... *gasp* My test!"

I hopped up, took my dagger off my bedside, and tried to run out to the deck but Arito picked me up.

Arito: "Woah, there! Slow down..."

He set me down and offered me his arm.

Arito: "I'll be your escort this evening."

I tilted my head, puzzled at his formality.

Arito: "Just play along..."

I smiled and took his arm, and we walked out. It looked to be maybe an hour past sunset. No one was on deck, the crew was waiting for us on the shore of the chosen island.

Arito: "You excited?"

Gwen: "Very!"

I couldn't stop smiling as Arito lowered us to sea level where Laboon eagerly greeted us.

Gwen: "Haha, what've you got there, buddy?"

A couple palm leaves folded into a hat on his head.

Gwen: "It's lovely, Laboon. You look very smart."

He splashed happily as we walked through the shallows to the shore. A little distracted by Laboon and his palm hat, I just now noticed what was happening on the beach. They were gathered around a big campfire, standing in front, waiting for us was Brook and Captain Yorki. As we slowly approached them, I could hear the crew around us chanting something.

Crew: "Daggers in the Dark... Daggers in the Dark..."

As I reached the fire their chants began to crescendo.

Crew: "Daggers in the Dark...! Daggers in the Dark! Daggers in the Dark!!"

Until captain raised his hand to silence them. It felt like I was in the middle of a sacred ritual. I was so excited!

Yorki: "The name of the game... Daggers in the Dark."

Captain stepped forward and addressed everyone.

Yorki: "Tonight will determine whether or not our little girl will gain the right to fight alongside us in battles. If she has the ability to protect herself, her crew and our ship. Gwen, the dagger you hold in your hands is merely a training tool. But succeed this test, and you will be presented with the real thing."

I nodded, determined to win.

Yorki: "If you cannot complete the assigned task, your blade wielding rights will be abolished. But know if that turns out to be the case, you will still be a valued and beloved member of our crew. That will never change."

I smiled, happy to know that if I failed, no one would think any less of me.

Yorki: "Brook will now announce the rules of tonight's activity."

Brook: "Alright! Gwen, this will be a game to boost your stealth skills as well as getting you used to handling a dagger! Listen up now, everyone! The rules are simple. Gwen stays here on the beach while the rest of us get a minute head start to run into the jungle and hide. After said minute, she will be released and the free for all will begin. If Gwen tags you with a sneak attack, you're to make your way back out here to Laboon."

We all smiled as Laboon splashed happily, excited for the game to start.

Brook: "He will be playing as our rule enforcer tonight. Making sure Gwen doesn't go in before the minute is up, making sure those of you who come out actually got tagged, etcetera... So, any questions?"

Daisu: "Let me get this straight... it's just hide and seek mixed with tag?"

Brook: "Uhmmm....... Yes."

We laughed at the idea of such a simple game being used for a training test. I raised my hand with a request.

Brook: "Yes, Gwen?"

Gwen: "Could I have a little sneak peek at the map of the island? Just for the general layout."

Brook: "Hmm... Captain?"

Yorki: "I don't see the harm. It's not like the map will tell her were to find us."

He handed it to me and I gave it a quick scan. From the looks of it, it's much like the island we were on where I was kidnapped by Sea Cow. A surrounding beach with a full jungle in the middle. The only real difference was it was definitely much smaller. And despite the outcome, I think I did good sneaking through a marine infested jungle, so I was feeling confident about this.

Brook: "Gwen, you have until dawn to find and tag everyone."

I gave the map back and readied myself.

Gwen: "Understood!"

I looked to the horizon to see the sun had already fully set some time ago. But it was still early in the night.

Jesse Waldock: "Kinda between 6 & 7pm."

Yorki: "Everyone's ready?!"

Everyone: "YEAH!"

Yorki: "Then let Gwen's Dagger Stealth Test BEGIN!"

He knelt down to my level with a hand on my shoulder.

Yorki: "You can do this, guppy. We're all rooting for you."

Gwen: "Thanks, captain."

He nodded with a smile, and I giggled as he turned me around to face Laboon.

Yorki: "The minute starts... NOW!!"

My excitement peaked as I heard everyone behind me scampering inland.

Brook: "YOHOHOHO! Isn't this fun?!"

"Stop laughing, Brook! You'll give yourself away!"

Gwen: "Hahah."

A minute passed and I turned to see everyone gone.

Gwen: "Alright, I have until dawn. I can do this!"

I glanced back at Laboon with a smirk.

Gwen: "So... which way did they go?"

He splashed me with a loud squeak.

Gwen: "I'm kidding, I'm kidding! Heheh, I wouldn't cheat on something this important. Alright, here I go. Wish me luck, Laboon!"

He chirped encouragingly as I ran into the jungle. Further from the shore and the firelight, it became pitch black, and I needed to take a minute to let my eyes adjust to the darkness. As I did so, I silenced my breath and focused on the sounds around me. It wasn't as quiet as I thought it would be out here at this hour. The bugs and night creatures are active.

Gwen: "Ignore all that... I need to focus on finding the crew."

I listened for any kind of sign. A giggle, a rustle, a sharp breath, anything.

Gwen: "*sigh* Man, they're good... This is going to be harder than I thought... I'm not a tracker..."

I quickly shook of the thought and tied my hair back.

Gwen: "The night's still young. I can do this. I'm not going to find anyone standing here doubting myself."

I decided to take the high ground as I have always been good at attacking from above. I held my dagger in my mouth and climbed up a tree. The trees were close enough together, I could move from one to another with ease. This island isn't that big and our entire crew is spread out here, I'm bound to find someone close by. I slowly moved through the trees, scanning the area around me, until I saw blur of white and blue darting between trees. Blue polka dots... it's one of the Mizuta twins!

Gwen: "My first victim..."

He seemed to stop running and was ducked in a bush. I assessed the scene and thought up the perfect sneak attack. I picked a fruit and quietly scurried over to a tree that was just north of his bush. Closer now, I could see it's Daisu. He was certainly keeping an eye out for me too, so I had to be careful as I readied myself on a branch crossing his path.

I knew I needed to be quick with this next part. I threw the fruit so it landed with a rustle south of him. And just as planned, he started running north, towards me. Before he ran pass me, I leaned forward and poked his chest with my wooden dagger. I laughed as he screamed and fell backwards.

Gwen: "BOO! Hahahaha!"

He looked up and assessed the scene, to see where the hell I came from. I was hanging upside down with my stomach over the branch and my knees pulled in to keep me from sliding all the way off and landing on my head. I was hanging there, giggling at Daisu's reaction.

Daisu: "I should have known you'd be in the trees, little monkey."

He stood up with a smile, took my hands and helped me down.

Daisu: "You got me good, I'm impressed."

I smiled bashfully, but he then glanced around and knelt down to my level.

Daisu: "Lemme give you a fair warning though, Pip... You're not the only one who can hide in trees."

He's right. This whole island is fair game. Low ground, high ground.

Gwen: "Noted. Thanks, Daisu."

Daisu: "See you later, Pip. Good luck."

He headed back out to the beach with Laboon, who splashed around with excitement to know I caught one.

Daisu: "Aw, you kidding?! I'm the first one?!"

Back in the jungle, I was still on the hunt... I perked up as I heard a little snicker nearby, followed by immediate silence at my notice of it.

Gwen: "Someone's close.... And they know where I am..."

The grass around here is quite long, so I ducked down and slowly crawled toward the giggle I heard. But when I got to the area, he was gone. Though I didn't get up. Like a serpent, I stayed low. He can't have gotten far. I glanced around and saw a rock on the edge of a clearing and thought how ideal that would be for a quick hide. So I slowly, and silently crawled up to it, hearing heavy breathing as I got closer. A sly smile crossed my face as I knew I got him.

I slithered around the other side to see Arito sat there with his back against the rock, panting. He must have seen me catch Daisu and was giggling because his brother was caught before him. All it would take for him to see me would be a glance down to his right. So I wasted no more time! I took my dagger and he let out a shriek as I poked him in the ribs with it.

Gwen: "Got you!"

Arito: "Geez, Gwen! You... you scared the crap out of me...!"

I sat up as he panted.

Gwen: "I'm sorry, are you okay?"

Arito: "Hahaha, don't be sorry, it was good. I mean, it's part of what your test is all about."

I smiled with pride as he ruffled my hair and stood up.

Arito: "You got this, Pip. You're a natural."

He headed out to join Daisu and Laboon on the beach.

Arito: "We're all rooting for you!"

Gwen: "Thanks, Arito!"

The night went on, and I hunted down most of the crew, one by one. Counting in my head, who I caught, and who was left. Until it was, by my estimate, maybe an hour past midnight. There were only two people left in this whole jungle... Brook and Captain Yorki.

Jesse Waldock: "Aside from Laboon, we only know the names of four of the crew, so four scenarios is what we're doing."

Gwen: "Where are you...?"

It was getting harder and harder to find anyone with the numbers thinning.

Gwen: 'They can't have moved around too much, I would have noticed... But when I find them... what then?'

I thought about all the different sneak attacks I've done tonight. From above, from below, from around, from the shadows.

Gwen: 'Sneak attacks come in all forms... I think I'll try a new approach... From the open!'

Step one, know your target. Brook and Captain have to be hiding out somewhere around here. So, in the hopes of drawing them out of their hiding place, I just walked around in the open, singing.

Gwen: "~~Ding Dong, here I come to find you, hurry up and run. Let's play a little game and have fun. Ding Dong where is it you've gone to, do you think you've won? Our game of hide and seek has just begun~~"

For a solid minute, I wandered around, creepily singing in attempts to scare them out of their hiding place.

Gwen: "~~I hear your footsteps. Thumping loudly through the tall grass. I can hear your sharp breaths. You're not very good at hiding.~~"

I must have been close because I heard a rustle and turned to see a tall dark figure running away from me.

Gwen: "Brook!"

I have him now! Step two, pinpoint target. Know exactly where he is at all times. He ran, but I didn't chase him. I hid, ducked down in the long grass, peeking out to see which direction he went.

Brook: "It doesn't count if it's not a sneak attack!"

He's right. If I had chased after him and got him in the back, it wouldn't have counted. But now he doesn't know where I am, but I know exactly where he is. He swung behind a tree and I could hear him out of breath on the other side.

Brook: "Gwen...? Are you still there...?"

Step three, lead him into a false sense of security. Let him think he escaped me. I stayed low and still as he peeked out from behind the tree and glanced around to see if I was still in the area.

Brook: "*phew* Maybe she saw someone else..."

I smiled as my plan was going perfectly. Guess he doesn't know he's one of the last ones. Step four, now that he thinks he's off my radar, time to go in for the figurative kill! Staying low and quiet, I creep up to his tree and stood on the other side of it. Without giving him a chance to realise I was there, I spun around the tree and poked him in the leg with my dagger.

Gwen: "GOTCHA BROOK!"

He screamed like a girl, and I burst out laughing.

Brook: "Wha- Gwen?! How did-? You were just-! I-I thought you were-!"

Gwen: "Surprise sneak attack! It counts~!"

Brook: "YOHOHOHO, you sneaky little ninja pirate."

I smiled victoriously as he knelt down and ruffled my hair.

Brook: "So, it's past midnight now. How're you doing?"

Gwen: "I just have to find Captain, he's the last one."

Brook: "Really?! YOHOHO, look at you go! There's still a few hours until first light. I know you can do it."

I giggled as he squeezed me in a hug.

Brook: "I'm so proud of you!"

Gwen: "Hehe, thanks Brook."

He let me down and headed out to the beach.

Brook: "Go get him, kiddo!"

My smile faded and I heaved a tired sigh.

Gwen: "One man standing... in this whole island jungle... no way I can just draw him out, I'm practically out of tricks... Ahhh, where are you, captain...?"

I flinched at a loud whistle from the canopy above me, and I looked up to see captain Yorki smiling down at me.

Yorki: "Here I am~"

Gwen: "Captain? How long have you-?"

Yorki: "I've been watching you the whole time, Gwen. I've seen you catch everyone. I'm very impressed."

Gwen: "But... I've been in the trees too... how have I not seen you?"

Yorki: "The first rule of espionage, guppy... Always hide in plain sight."

Gwen: "Es-pi... wha?"

Yorki: "Haha, well don't just stand there. You've still got one more to tag."

He's right, the games not over yet! But I was startled as he jumped down and took out a wooden sword like the one I used to have. I took a couple steps back, not expecting this.

Yorki: "This is your final test, Gwen. Now come and get me."

Gwen: "I- uhm... I don't know if..."

Can I really win a sword fight with a dagger?

Yorki: "Don't be afraid. Remember, many pirates and marines would try to harm you with a sword. So you need to learn to defend against such using your strengths."

I just stood there, still not knowing if I could do this. What kind of chance do I have at beating my own captain in a one on one match?

Yorki: "Or you can throw in the towel. It's your choice, Gwen. Nothing will be held against you."

I took a deep breath, and stood in a fighting stance, clutching my wooden dagger with determination.

Gwen: "I've come this far... I won't give up."

He smiled.

Yorki: "That's my girl. Ready?"

Gwen: "Aye...!"

Yorki: "Then come get me!"

Whenever I'm sparring with someone, for training or for fun, I usually get into what I call 'Battle Mode', where my focus is locked in on the fight and I don't give in until someone wins, preferably me. But this time, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't focus. All I felt I could do was back away and block.

Yorki: "You're okay, don't panic. Just think like your sparring with the Mizuta twins on Skill Build Day. It's no different."

Gwen: "With all respect, captain- AHH! That's bull crap! This is- uh! Entirely different!"

I tried to sneak behind him to find an opening, but he spun around and blocked me before I could get him.

Gwen: "There's too much at stake! And I love the twins, but... you're a more experienced swordsman than they are!"

He had me on the defensive. I could have gotten back on the offensive with some strategic aggression, but I was panicking.

Gwen: "I know you said no one would think any less of me, but I would! My pride is at stake here, captain! My pride!"

Yorki: "You need to stop overthinking and focus, Gwen. You think too much, you stumble, you lose, and depending on the situation, you die."

Gwen: "I can't lose, I won't give up! I can't lose, I won't give up!! I CAN'T LOOSE, I WON'T GIVE-AHH!"

Yorki: "Gwen!"

I tripped and fell backwards, and my panicking brain told me I lost for good.

Gwen: "NO PLEASE!"

Yorki: "Hey, hey, hey, it's alright."

He dropped his sword and knelt down to comfort me, holding my hand while I lay on my back, hyperventilating.

Yorki: "Gwen, listen to me. I'm not going to hurt you, I'd never do that."

Gwen: "I know... But please captain... Give me another chance."

He sighed with a smile.

Yorki: "Well, it's not dawn yet. Of course... Come 'ere, guppy."

I sat up and hugged him, biting my lip in frustration and tears filling my eyes.

Gwen: "I'm sorry... I messed up..."

Yorki: "Hey now, don't beat yourself up about anything... I know now I went a little too fast for your first time, I'm sorry. So let's take it one step at a time. We'll talk, and I'll teach you."

I nodded into his shoulder and my breathing slowly calmed down. Meanwhile, out on the beach...

"You all heard that too right?" "Yeah, Gwen screamed something." "She sounds scared." "Think we should go check on her?"

Brook: "She's fine, she's with captain Yorki."

Daisu: "Brook, is there something you didn't tell us about tonight?"

Brook: "What do you mean?"

Arito: "You planned tonight's events. Pip's been having fun catching and scaring all of us. So why did she scream like that just now?"

Daisu: "Captain's the last one to be tagged, right?"

Being in charge of the head count, Laboon nodded with a chirp.

Daisu: "So what's going on in there?"

Brook: "Alright alright, no need to gang up on me! It's Gwen's final test. If she wants to tag captain... she's gotta fight him first."

Crew: "WHAT!"

Brook: "I didn't tell her when we started because I didn't want her to worry about it all night. She probably got a little fright, but she'll be fine."

"I don't know... Think this is too much for her?" "She's never fought captain in a one on one before." "Maybe we should call it off and give her the win now." "Yeah, it's not like she hasn't earned it." "She did amazing at catching all of us."

Brook: "Yes she did, but the test isn't over just yet."

There were still some concerned faces.

Brook: "There's no need to get worked up. This is our captain we're talking about, he knows what he's doing."

Daisu: "Truuue... it's not like she's fighting Sea Cow in there..."

Arito: "And we know Captain Yorki would never hurt her..."

Brook: "Exactly! So we are staying here until the two of them come out."

Laboon chirped, agreeing with Brook. He was taking his role of rule enforcer very seriously, so the crew complied.

Brook: "Come on, gather round. Let's sing a song to pass the time, YOHOHOHOHO!"

Back in the jungle...

Yorki: "You know I really was watching you catch everyone. You have true skills in stealth and strategy. I'm the proudest captain in the world right now."

I couldn't help but smile a little at that. He kissed my head and stood me up in front of him.

Yorki: "You're good?"

Gwen: "Yeah."

Yorki: "Feeling better?"

Gwen: "Yeah."

Yorki: "Show me your brave face. Elbows in... shoulders back... chin up!"

I put on a stoic face until he poked my nose playfully and a laugh escaped me. He sat me in his lap, let my hair out of it's messy ponytail and carefully combed his fingers through it.

Yorki: "You get too serious sometimes, kiddo. You forget to smile."

Gwen: "I just don't want to lose this one..."

Yorki: "I know. And you won't. Cause you're the smartest, most talented kid I've ever known."

He parted my hair and started tying it into a plait.

Yorki: "You can win this, Gwen. You just gotta stop getting in your own way."

Gwen: "I am not!"

Yorki: "Haha, yes you are. You just don't realise it. But I'm gonna teach you to have the right mentality."

Gwen: "How?"

Yorki: "I present to you... 'Captain Yorki's Top Tips for Surviving a Fight'!"

I giggled at his silly formality.

Yorki: "Tip number one! Well actually, this one is more of a life rule... Never ever, compare yourself to anyone. That's bad juju."

Gwen: "Who's Juju?"

Yorki: "Haha, I mean it's a negative thing to do. And it won't help you in any situation. You are your own person with your own skills and strengths. And that's what matters. I want you to always remember that, Gwen."

Gwen: "Aye."

Yorki: "Tip number two! In a one on one, you only need to focus on two things. Your opponent's weapon, and your own."

Gwen: "What about my surroundings?"

Yorki: "Take those in before you fight. It doesn't take much to understand a few square meters."

Gwen: "Okay..."

Yorki: "Listen kiddo, any enemy would taunt you, keep upsetting you until you slip up. Are you gonna let them do that? No, not my girl, cause you're gonna be prepared, you're gonna be focused, and you're gonna be calm."

Gwen: "I understand... but... What about... if there's more? More enemies, and I'm alone."

He put a hand on my shoulder, and I turned to see a serious expression on his face.

Yorki: "That won't happen, Gwen. Because in any scenario, your crew will always have your back... And besides, we're still early in your training. Maybe we'll graduate you to multiple enemies one day."

I nodded with a smile.

Yorki: "And finally, tip number three! A calming mechanism... Hmm... That trick you were doing when you were trying to find Brook."

Gwen: "Humming and singing?"

Yorki: "Yes! It'll help you focus, but not overthink."

I thought about it, and he did have a point.

Gwen: "Brook tells me to sing when I'm scared... and it does make me feel better, but... won't I look silly if in the middle of a battle, I just start singing?"

Yorki: "Maybe. Silly is in the eye of the beholder, Gwen. But even so, why should that matter?"

He tied off my plait and took my hand, pointing at the tattoo on my arm.

Yorki: "Remember who you are."

Gwen: "I'm a Rumbar pirate."

Yorki: "And when you joined my crew, I only asked one thing from you."

Gwen: "That I... love music."

I smiled as he kissed my head.

Yorki: "That's my girl. Now! Ready to give this another go?"

Gwen: "Aye, captain!"

With my confidence restored, we stood up and readied ourselves for round two.

Yorki: "Survey your surroundings, understand where you are."

It was dark, but my eyes had adjusted well throughout the night.

Yorki: "This time, you make the first move."

I took a deep, calming breath and I focused my mind. I can win this! I charged forward, forcing him to block me.

Gwen: "~~Mm-Hm-Mm-Mmmm... Hm Hm-Mm-Mmmm~~"

Yorki: "That's right. Calm and focused."

I was focused alright! Because I already had a plan on how to use our surroundings to my advantage. In my observation of the area, I noticed a tree root sticking out of the ground a few feet behind him. The grass is quite long, so he probably didn't notice it.

Gwen: 'If I could make him trip on that, that'd be the perfect opening!'

But I couldn't just charge in and make him back of into it. No, something tells me he won't back up so easily. I had to be patient and tactful.

Gwen: "~~Mm hm-hm hm-hm hm-hm! La lala lala lala~~"

After doing well for a while, going back and forth between offence and defence, I smiled as the perfect plan of attack formed itself in my mind. I started by backing off and swapping my sword to my left hand, before jumping back in.

Yorki: "Gwen, why are you using your non-dominant hand?"

Gwen: "I'm... ambiexdus!"

Yorki: "You mean ambidextrous? I don't believe you."

I laughed, lunging at and blocking him.

Gwen: "I'm winning, ain't I?"

Yorki: "Hm, you're doing much better, that's for sure. But you haven't won yet, guppy."

I think he suspected I was up to something, but as long as he didn't know exactly what, it didn't matter. I went in for the figurative kill, but he blocked me, tossing my arm up. But a sly smile crossed my face as this is exactly what I was hoping. Because I used that as excuse to have my weapon change hands behind my back. In a second, I went from having a forward grip in my left hand to having a reverse grip in my right.

Yorki: "What the-!"

Perfect! He's startled by the sudden change! Time to go crazy. Straight away, I pushed forward, slashing left and right, left and right.

Gwen: "HYAH HYAH HYAH HYAH!"

Yorki: "Woah, Gwen! Hey, slow down, kiddo!"

He was having trouble dodging all my quick attacks.

Gwen: "One thing I've learned from sparring the twins... Treat every match like a real battle!"

I didn't give him a chance to get back on offensive. With no where else to go, I forced him back until he tripped on the root and fell backwards.

Yorki: "AHH-!"

Gwen: 'Yes, my chance!'

I could have got him straight away in the leg, but no. I treated this like a real fight. I went straight for the weapon. I stood on his wrist, made him let go of his sword. I tossed it away, before saddling his ribs with my dagger hovering over his temple.

Gwen: "Haaah-Haaah-Haaah...!"

I did all that so quickly, I was out of breath. Even he seemed startled by my quick reactions.

Yorki: "Gwen..."

But I smiled and lightly poked his nose with the blunt wooden tip.

Gwen: "Tag. Got you, captain."

He bit his lip and put his arm over his face like he was about to cry.

Gwen: "Captain? I'm sorry, did I hurt you? Did I scare you?"

Yorki: "No... *sniffle* No, nothing like that... I'm just..."

He took his hat off and put it on my head, smiling up at me.

Yorki: "I'm just so damn proud of you."

I laughed, helped him up and he pulled me into a hug.

Yorki: "You never cease to amaze me, guppy."

Gwen: "I really did it?"

Yorki: "Damn right, you did."

He retrieved his sword and picked me up onto his shoulders.

Yorki: "Come on, let's go back out to the beach. Everyone's waiting to hear the news."

As we finally made it out of the jungle, I smiled, seeing everyone gathered around Laboon, waiting for us.

Yorki: "MEN!"

Everyone turned to us, grins gracing their faces.

Yorki: "Our little girl has done it! She passed the test!"

He let me down as everyone took a quick look to the east to see the sun had not yet shined over the horizon. They then turned back to us, smiling with tears of joy filling their eyes.

Crew: "GWEN!!"

Brook: "YOHOHOHOHO!!"

I ran to them and laughed as they wrapped me in a group hug. I couldn't have asked for a better hype team. Brook then lifted me up with pride.

Brook: "Three cheers for Gwen! The strongest, smartest, most talented kid in all the West Blue!"

Crew: "HOORAY! HOORAY! HOORAAAYYY!!"

Then suddenly Laboon chirped loudly, splashing his fins.

Daisu: "Ahaha, sorry Laboon. Are we hogging your sister?"

Arito: "He's her number one cheerleader, I'd expect nothing less."

They let me down and I ran to him for a big hug.

Gwen: "Hahaha, hey, Laboon! Heh, did you miss me?"

He chirped, overjoyed at my return before sunrise.

Gwen: "Where'd your hat go, buddy?"

"Over there." "He wanted us to take it off." "I think he was trying to tell us it was itchy?"

He squeaked with a nod.

"I mean fair enough, we made it roughly out of palm leaves." "It was fun for a while."

Gwen: "Heheh, that's okay. I think you're cool with or without a hat."

I giggled as he cooed and nuzzled me.

Yorki: "Hey Gwen, you wanna tell everyone how you beat me?"

My face lit up, eager to tell my tale.

Gwen: "Yes!"

Brook: "Come stand up here. Everyone else, sit down so Laboon can see too.

Brook and Captain stood behind me while the crew sat in front of Laboon and I told everyone the story

Gwen: "There I was... completely alone... Wondering how I was going to find just one person in the jungle... BUT THEN I heard a noise in the trees above me."

The twins raised their hands.

Daisu: "Was it a bird?"

Arito: "Was it a monkey?"

Gwen: "Hahaha, no it was our captain!"

Everyone gasped dramatically, matching my tone to amuse me.

Gwen: "He came down and said, ahem... 'In order to tag me and complete your test, you have to win in a fight with me first!'"

Everyone laughed at my attempted impression of him. I did to, knowing it wasn't great.

Gwen: "I wasn't scared. I knew I could do it."

Captain just smiled, letting me have my moment. I explained the fight in dramatic detail! Only exaggerating a little bit...

Gwen: "Psssh! Blood Blood! Bleeeeh..."

Everyone: "...?!"

Gwen: "Okay, heh... there was no blood."

I got a little too into it, but they got the idea.

Gwen: "And that's how I defeated Captain Yorki in a one-on-one!"

As everyone cheered, captain knelt down and put his hand on my shoulder. I turned to him. The crew, knowing what time it was, gasped excitedly and gathered around us.

Yorki: "Look over there, Gwen."

We all turned to the east to see the horizon turn light blue and orange as the sun started to rise.

Gwen: "First light."

Yorki: "That's right. And your task was to tag every one of us before first light."

Gwen: "Aye..."

For some reason, I got a little nervous in that moment. But he smiled and ruffled my hair.

Yorki: "What's with the nervous look, guppy. You did it!"

I laughed as everyone cheered, tears of pride filling their eyes. Brook knelt down to me, holding a belt with a dagger sheath attached to it.

Brook: "And as promised, we present to you your very first dagger."

He put it around my waist, hooking it securely. I took out the steel dagger and held it up in the morning light.

Brook: "Not so heavy, is it?"

I smiled and shook my head. It was heavier than my wooden dagger, but much, much lighter and easier to hold than my old sword.

Gwen: "It's perfect..."

Yorki: "What say you now, Gwen?"

Crew: "What say you?!"

I held my new blade up high for all to see and spoke loud for all to hear.

Gwen: "With my captain and crew as my witness, I, Eternal Child Gwen of the Rumbar Pirates, vow to use this dagger to defend and protect myself, my brother, my crew, our ship, and our honour!"

Crew: "That's our girl!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

408K 17.6K 119
As (Y/N) is sent out on a mission for a whale named "Laboon" with her childhood friend Vivi, She encounters a particular crew that piques her intere...
129K 5.2K 49
having a childish captain was enough of a responsibility for the strawhats, but having another childish crew member that wants to play god is even mo...
13.5K 457 22
"cause im a giver, it's only nature... ...i live for danger." ••••••••••••••••••••••••• no one on the sea nor on the land doesn't know her name. ever...
24K 736 30
This story is about a Young girl named y/n who lost their parents in a terrible ship wreck, At least that's what she was told. Soon after she reali...