Golden Face

By jintaiyang4

Baldwin was the son of Amarlic I, King of Jerusalem and Agni's of Courtenay, daughter of the Count of Edessa... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Author's Note
Extra Scenes
Extra Scene #1

Chapter 3

640 16 1
By jintaiyang4

After his father's death, Baldwin succeeded him at the age of only thirteen. William had taught him what it took to be a proper politician, during the eight years he had been by his side.

The servants prepared him for his coronation ceremony and the Sibyl entered the room, looking at him and doting on him. She took his hands in hers, hands wearing white gloves.

"I can't believe that from today, you will be the king of Jerusalem. Mother would be very proud"

"I asked for her to come to my coronation"

"But she was forbidden..."

"As the future king, I asked to be here"

"You are the king, you will decide what is right and wrong" Baldwin hugged her

"I won't make it without your help, Sibyl. I want you by my side, throughout my reign, which I don't know how long it will last" William entered the room holding a wooden chest and bowed before it, opening it , showing its contents.

"A king needs a golden crown, not a golden mask," said the Sibyl and turned her head away, resentful.

"At some point I shall be forced to wear both," said Baldwin "But not today. I will not wear the mask at the coronation. I want the people of Jerusalem to see my face, one last time."

When he left the palace he put his hand with the back side covering his eyes. He felt the sensation of the sun on his skin, but his eyes hurt.

He walked towards the platform, followed by a large procession, just behind him walked William and Sibyl, and further back his closest servants. The high priest kept in a pouch, the monarch's scepter and orb. Symbols very important for the coronation of the king. The scepter symbolized the justice that the monarch would dispense, while the golden orb symbolized the monarch's supreme power in the world. The sphere, also known as the Apple of the World, had Christian symbolism of the world, while the cross on the sphere depicted the union of the world with the Kingdom of Heaven.

"Take off the gloves" he whispered and Baldwin looked at William, who was archbishop now. William shook his head negatively, his blessed father and former king had asked that no one should know about his illness. Baldwin held the scepter in his left hand and the orb in his right, following the protocol and custom of the coronation.

The high priest was saying the coronation prayer, holding the crown he placed on the new young King's head. "Long live the new King Baldwin IV of Jerusalem"

The young new king still holding the symbols of the monarch and having the crown on his head, walked out of the church, walking on the purple carpet of the church. The people of Jerusalem quickly accepted him as their new king, despite his young age, and applauded him when they saw him come out of the church.

In the palace, where the reception for the coronation of the new king was organized, only noble and important personalities of that time had been invited. William accompanied the king to introduce him to the guests, despite the Sibyl's complaints that he stay by her side, like a hawk protecting her chick before flying.

"It is important to his future policy, my princess," the archbishop said and gently placed a hand on his back, urging him forward. She introduced him to a man, with brown hair and big, brown eyes.

"May I introduce you to the Count of Tripoli, Raymond III. He became Prince of Jerusalem when he married your aunt, Hesiva" Raymond bowed and kissed the king's hand "He will fulfill the qualification of regent, until you are old enough to administrations"

"Honored to know my king from the first day of his coronation. Any questions you have about politics, don't hesitate to ask me, your majesty"

"I would like to know if there is any threat to Jerusalem"

"From the first day on the job I see" Raymond laughed

"My father never talked to me about politics and what he discussed with the other nobles. He told me that I would know when the time came. That time came earlier. It is my right to know what is going on in the kingdom that I was given to command. Am I wrong?"

"And a diplomat from such a young age. I'm sure you'll make a great statesman my king. Yes, it's true you should know the situation. It's a shame your blessed father didn't inform you sooner" he held out his hand beckoning meaning "Shall we walk while we talk about this? There are many who want to meet you"

They walked among the guests who bowed, kissed his hands or introduced themselves. William did not leave his side, watching him and observing his every move and telling him.

"Amarlic I managed to bring peace to the states of the Middle East, with the help of the crusaders. Even with the enmity that existed between Christians and Muslims, he managed to keep the balance. But now things in Egypt may lead to another war"

"Why? What's going on in Egypt?"

"The Fatimids, caliph of Egypt died and his vizier, Saladin, ascended the throne, claiming the title of Sultan in the Egyptian lands"

"Is Saladin that dangerous?" He asked, turning his head towards William

"Saladin is stirring up the Muslim states of the Middle East," explained William. "I don't know how long it will take for the flame of revolution to ignite."

"Leave it to me, your majesty" Raymond bowed "As regent, allow me to speak to Saladin and calm the rebels down"

"I allow you and since William trusts you, you also have my trust"

"Thank you, Your Highness," he said without raising his head from the bow

"Let's continue our fun" said William "This day is very important"

"Balduine" they heard a familiar female voice. They beheld a blonde woman, her hair was the color of sand, like Baldwin's hair. She approached Baldwin and placed her palm on his left cheek, the one without the mark. Beside her stood a dark man, tall, unknown to the young king and his aides.

"My son, my brave arslan (lion), I missed you" the woman said and approached him with a fake smile "Thank you for inviting me to your coronation. I wanted to see you again"  Placing her hands on his shoulders "I was hearing news from you only from the letters your father used to send"

“Mother…” Sibylla was standing in the crowd, when she saw her, she let out a sigh of sadness and nostalgia, running into her arms “How glad to see you again”

"Me too, my beautiful Sibyl. As you grow older you become more and more beautiful, we must find you a husband before long"

"Not yet" said Baldwin and walked towards them "She will not marry yet, I want her to stay by my side"

"But honey, that's what the law wants"

"No, because if she marries, she'll leave me like you" Agni backed off and Sibyl moved closer, placing her hands on his shoulders.

"It is not mandatory that I leave the palace after my marriage. I promised you that. I will stay with you until the end of your reign."

"You are welcome in the palace yard, whenever you like, mother," Baldwin said, leaving Sibyl's side and walking closer to her, taking her hands in his. That was the last time he felt a motherly touch.

Agni pulled her hands from his, in an abrupt manner, Baldwin was surprised by her behavior. Her mask fell and her true intentions emerged.

"No, we won't stay here. Me and Hugo must go back to Edessa. Maybe better this way. I don't want to stay here with a sick child who will die soon" Baldwin felt the world crumble around him. Raymond entered in front of him and William approached Agni.

"I would suggest you leave now, before you burden your position"

"I'm telling the truth. This kid is sick. Don't tell me he doesn't know it."

"He knows it, but don't forget that he is not a sick child, but the king of Jerusalem"

"Not my king. And certainly not my child. My son died when Amori sent the letter."

"You did not deserve Amori, nor Jerusalem and certainly a son like Baldwin. Be sure, that Baldwin will become a good and right king that Jerusalem has not seen until now"

"It will be seen" he said, he approached Sibyl, taking her hands and kissing her in the cross "Goodbye, my love" he bowed and left with her husband.

Baldwin had his head down "William" he whispered and his mentor leaned close to his ear to hear him "I'm going to the valley of Lazarus?"

"No, Your Highness. That's why your blessed father asked that this be kept secret. Perhaps it's best that your mother left, without saying anything that would jeopardize your position on the throne."

"I hope so" he clenched his fist "If she believes it, then others will too" He tried to forget his mother's words, listening to Raymond's information about politics and war.

When the reception was over and the guests had left in their carriages, Baldwin returned to his room. He opened the wooden chest that William had brought him in the morning,

"A golden mask, instead of a golden crown" he said and took the mask in his hands.

He approached the mirror and touched the leprosy mark on his right cheek. To those who did not know it looked like a sign of chicken pox or acne, so it had gone unnoticed, in relation to his left arm where the leprosy was obvious. He put on the mask and stood in front of the mirror. Despite the coldness of the golden mask, his good-natured blue eyes could be seen through the unique openings of the mask.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

45.7K 2.2K 58
"𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐰𝐚𝐫𝐝 𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐝𝐬 𝐧𝐨 𝐬𝐰𝐚𝐲 𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐯𝐚𝐥𝐮𝐞 𝐈 𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐞 𝐨𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐢𝐧𝐧𝐞𝐫 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐡."...
342K 5.1K 42
Book 1 of the [His Everything] series. Amélie Levine Beaumont is the - first female - heir to the French Mafia (the second largest and most powerful...
1.2K 191 37
This story begins where Book 2, A Daughter's Love ended; right there in the Great Hall of the Manor House in Chanoine. A deathly plague sweeps throug...
699K 17.4K 18
❝𝑫𝒊𝒇𝒇𝒊𝒄𝒖𝒍𝒕 𝒓𝒐𝒂𝒅𝒔 𝒍𝒆𝒂𝒅 𝒕𝒐 𝒃𝒆𝒂𝒖𝒕𝒊𝒇𝒖𝒍 𝒅𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏𝒔.- #𝒊𝒏𝒔𝒑𝒊𝒓𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏❞ ~ Isabella is working as a maid i...