Not Giving Into Fate

By a-girl-who-wishes

I was the daughter of Duke Solon, I thought I was the last child. My elder brother is following in my father'... More

1. Necklace of Rope and Needles
2. Morning Plans
3- Awkward Talks
4- Missing Mage
5- An Unlikely Friend
6- A Lady in the Park
7- Family acting like a family
8- Meeting with the Masters
9- Book Club Initiation
10- The Trash Man Makes a Visit
11- The Memory Orb
12- Long Meetings
13- Dinner and Trial Plans
14. Day of the trial, part 1
15- Day of the Trial, part 2
16- Execution
17- Family Dinners
18- The Morning After
19- The Hunting Tournament
20-Hunting Tournament 2
21- The Grand Sorcerer
22- Rides with the Grand Sorcerer
23- A Surprising Sibling Brunch
24- The Substitute
25- The Opening of Doors
27- The break- in
28- Night at the Opera
29- The First Day of Classes
30- Breaking His Curse
31- The Pope and his teas
32- The Bulnan Chief
33- My Coming of Age
34- The Bastard's Reveal

26- Tour of the Tower

337 19 6
By a-girl-who-wishes

I privately show my brother and his companion a tour of my Tower. Now that the ceremony has ended and people are happily walking around, I am finally free.

I grab the key from the guard and tell him he may leave. He bows and leaves the three of us alone in the room that contains all of the cursed objects we have obtained throughout the centuries.

"This is the room of curses." I say, unlocking the second door and telling them not to touch anything. "Throughout the centuries, Ancient Mages find cursed objects and either cleansed them or leave them be. It's best to avoid grabbing anything with bare hands."

I walk through the room and point out special objects that I find fascinating. I tell if the story behind them, stories I've learned from my classes and others just because. I point out the objects from different countries and those that are considered holy relics. 

"Why are there so many cursed objects in the world?" Elric asks, looking at the cursed mirror that has been cleansed.

"Five hundred years ago," I start. "There were a group of mages that supported the use of Black Magic. Magic is pure mana, and because of that, mages can keep it within their body. I can channel magic easily, an elementalist can freely use nature and so on. However, black magic is tainted and it's bad for the body. So, the cursed mages often used objects to hold their black magic.

"There was a civil war between the mages. The cursed mages died and their objects were scattered around." I look at the wall in front of me as I sum up the large history. "We still find their objects and we cure the unfortunate people. That is our role and we maintain the secrecy of Black magic so that no one can fall down that road."

"Sounds incredibly dangerous for regular people to get a hold of this," Elric backs away from the mirror and looks at a cursed sword.

"It is," I say. "There are serious levels of protection of these objects."

Sebastian peers into a cauldron. "What if someone tried to break in?"

I narrow my eyes and look to Elric. He mouths the word 'rat' and I remember what he had asked of me. He doesn't want Duke Dolan to be the Captain of the Imperial Knights, he wants him cursed.

I nod my head, understanding they have a plan in mind. "Well, there is the basic security of the Tower. There are two guards that watch over the first door. Then one must pass through the small room and greet the other guard who has the key. Only few qualified individuals have access. They all know not to touch the objects directly."

I look at the cleansed vase, sparkling with silver and gold that holds a historic, artistic design.

"What if it's stolen," Sebastian asks. "And it happens to be sold through an illegal gambling ring."

I raise a brow, Duke Dolan must visit one often. I smile. "If found, he who bought it, the seller and the thief shall be imprisoned and it is up to the Tower to deal with. The Grand Sorcerer and I will solely issue their punishment. However, if it is an important object that was previously owned by another country or a holy relic, then an ambassador will help us deliver a dire punishment."

"If the object stolen and sold were to be a holy relic?" Elric asks. 

"The Pope, or whoever he assigns to delegate the task, will work with Milo and I to find the culprits and deliver the rightful punishment. Often times, the punishment will be severe." I explain the process. 

The two men look at each other and nod, a plan already in the works. "I must warn you," I speak up. "If they have strong connections, their punishment will be lax. And it depends on how it is found in their possession. If they had it for a long time, the punishment will be greater than a man who just bought it and barely touched it. A touch is all that the curse requires."

"Sister," Elric smiles and reaches forward to grab my hand. "I'm proud that you are incredibly knowledgeable in your field. I won't let anything interfere with that. I shall do all that I can to protect you."

He guides my hand to his arm and looks at Sebastian who nods and starts walking to the exit. I follow them, holding the key in my hand before I leave. I see the guard, exchange the key and tell the boys where to go. 

I take them to the main hall where everyone will be mingling. I know that there are a few Masters who want to meet my brother, specifically the new Master of Battle Magic.

The main hall is pretty loud, all of the eager students are reuniting with old friends, speaking with professors and people of other departments. Before entering, I spot Milo and Prince Adrian feverishly speaking with each other. I try to walk around them, but I make eye contact with Milo. He waves me over and I excuse myself and join them. 

"Giselle," Milo grabs my hand. "The other Prince has sent word that he will be arriving later today to speak with us three. Please make sure you are here until that meeting is over with." 

"Prince Ivan is arriving?" I feel my heart beat increase at the news. Milo squeezes my hand. 

"Both of you do not worry," He smiles. "He cannot force us to do anything. Don't forget that. Now, I must go. Please, eat the food and enjoy yourselves for the time being." 

Milo excuses himself and I'm staring at the floor in growing fear. I did not think I would be seeing him this soon. I do not know what to do. I feel a hand on my back and I see Prince Adrian asking if I am alright. I just stare at him, currently at a loss of words. 

"Sister," I turn and see Elric and Sebastian standing behind me. "Are you alright?" Elric grabs my hand and pulls me to him. He grabs my cheeks and makes sure that I am fine. I quickly shake him off, no longer happy with the day and now bothered. 

"Yes, sorry." I sigh. "My fiancee is coming to speak about my new employee." We all turn to the new Prince, his presence known between the Solons. He gives us a stiff smile. 

"I'm sure it will be a pleasant conversation." He huffs out the positive statement. I make eye contact with Elric who keeps a neutral face but Sebastian shakes his head. This Prince is delusional, he has to be insane. 

"Sister," Elric calls for me and I look at him. "I shall be leaving now. Thank you for the day, but I am merely just a call away. I've spoken with one of the Masters and he sold me this." Elric reveals two palm- sized opals. 

"What is that?" I ask, curious about the rock. 

"Apparently if broken, the one who has the other pair will appear by your side. If you ever feel threatened, throw it to the ground, stomp on it or anything that will break this opal and I will be by your side. Please hold on to it." Elric puts the rock in my palm. 

I look down at it and I give him a smile and a sure nod. "Thank you. Please get home safely and I will hold this with me." Elric pats my head and Sebastian gives me a smile before they walk away. 

I turn around and I'm surprised to see Prince Adrian still standing behind me. I would've figured for him to walk away. "Master," he bravely steps forward. "May I be too bold to ask you for a dance?" 

I look around the room and I am finally seeing that a dance floor has been created and the band is playing music. I look at the young children who are either dancing with their friends or bravely dancing with the opposite sex. I look to the Prince and shake my head. It's baffling how he thinks I am in the mood to dance after hearing Ivan will be coming soon. 

"I am their Master, I cannot be seen dancing like a child. People won't respect me if I were to dance in that crowd. Besides, you have just heard that my fiancé is coming. I'm not stupid enough to dance with a man who isn't my betrothed when he can arrive any minute. Now, good day, I have other business to attend to." I don't bother waiting to hear for his response. 

I take a deep breath, leaving the party to hide in my office where I won't be bothered until Milo calls for me. I am shaking with fear, something that hasn't happened in a while. Ivan is no doubt angry with me. I am practically shouting that I support his brother for the throne. Ivan will punish me, I'm sure he will. I grab my throat and teleport to my office where I collapse onto the small couch. 

-/-/-/-/-/-/-

I sit in my seat, awaiting for the arrival of my fiancé. I hold the cup of tea in my hand, letting the warmness keep me centered and not let my thoughts run wild. I focus on the heat, feeling my hands slowly burn but I keep it still.

We are all quiet, no one says a word. I look to Milo and he calmly reads a book, not bothered by what will be coming. I look to Adrian and he looks worried. His face clearly shows what he thinks, something he needs to work on.

There are four armchairs arranged in a square, all facing each other. I sit in front of Milo, the chair to my left is empty and that is where Ivan will sit, facing his brother.

A knock on the door grabs my attention. I set the cup down as Milo waves his hand and the doors open. He sets the book on the table and smiles at Ivan.

"Your majesty, to what do we owe this pleasure? Please sit." Milo gestures to the empty seat.

"Why are you here? You were sent to the North." Ivan ignore Milo and storms over to Adrian who has a steel face. I watch in curiosity as he masks his thoughts, something I thought he couldn't do.

"I was invited to come." Adrian says with an even tone.

"Sit, Prince Ivan." Milo points at the chair once more. I don't make eye contact and clasp just hands together as he sits down.

I can feel his glare on me. I look over to him and smile. "Good evening, Prince Ivan."

"It's not a good evening, Giselle." Ivan huff and looks to Milo. "You can't hire him. My father-"

"His majesty already gave his approval." Milo snaps his fingers and a piece of paper floats in front of Ivan's eyes. "His majesty had also stated that Prince Adrian will continue his princely duties now that he has returned to the Capital."

I look to my fiancé and see he has a clenched jaw, not liking to hear his power will decrease. "I see. So, you are officially a mage again?"

"I've always been a mage." Adrian smiles. "I've come to offer support to the Master of Ancient Magic."

I can feel the glare turn to me once more, but I ignore it. "Yes," I speak. "I recall sending out invitations to help teach and you were the only one to reply. Thank you."

Ivan clears his throat. "Since he is a mage, I'm sure there's a rule that he has to be devoted to his job. He cannot perform his... princely duties."

"There is no such law." Milo states. "That is why Master Solon is allowed to perform her ducal and fiancée duties outside of her job. Unless you want her to stop those duties..."

"No," He shakes his head and I look to him. "I cant... imagine a life without you." He forces a smile and I force one back.

"Then we are at an agreement." Milo nods.

"Not quite." Ivan shifts his seat, changing tactics to get rid of Adrian. "I understand you received a letter from father, but he sent you away for a reason. You are not fit to return."

"I am ready. There haven't been any issues for many years." Adrian speaks of an issue I know nothing about.

I realize I never questioned why he was sent to the North. I had only assumed it was because of Ivan's doing... but it seems as if there's something more to it. I look to Milo and we make eye contact. I raise a brow and he shakes his head, warning me to stay quiet.

"If he says he's good-

"I say he isn't." Ivan cuts off Milo. "I'm the oldest, next in line for the throne. I can force you to-"

"You can't force anything and you're not next in line. The heir hasn't been chosen." Milo cuts Ivan off. The room feels colder.

"You can't speak to me like that." Ivan coughs, clearly shocked.

"The Tower isn't required to follow the rules of the country. We do so through agreements set forth between the King and the Grand Sorcerer." Milo reminds Ivan. "I respect the King, he respects me, but don't push me to the point past respect."

Ivan stands, clearly growing frustrated with how Milo is treating him. I hide my smile, reaching forward to grab my drink. I carefully sip my drink, watching the exchange with hidden amusement. 

"You should watch your tone when you speak with me." Ivan growls, eyes narrowing.

"I think you should watch who you're talking to. I can quite literally move this entire Tower and Academy out of this country with a simple snap." Milo smiles and snaps his fingers.

My stomach drops and I grip my armrests as I feel a falling feeling. My teacup has fallen to the floor with a crack and I look around and see that we are now in a whole different environment. The country that was covered by the sunset and a cool, rainy weather had changed to an environment that is now sunny and the middle of the day.

My eyes widen at how bright the sun is. I spot familiar trees that are only seen in the Elferan coastline. I narrow my eyes and spot the bird only seen on their land. My jaw tightens, shocked at what Milo had done.

"What did you do?" Adrian asks, standing up and slowly looking around. I make eye contact and he sends me a quick wink before standing up. He snaps his fingers once more and we're on the rooftop balcony, the four of us looking at what he had done.

He had taken the entire Tower and the Academy lands and put it on an island. There's water all around us. I walk to the rail and look down, seeing everyone run to the courtyard and shouting with amazement and shock. The doors behind us are banging from the soldiers Ivan had brought.

"You should be careful on how you're talking to me, Prince Ivan." Milo walks to Ivan who looks shocked and almost scared. I watch carefully, suddenly remembering why he's the Grand Sorcerer. 

"What."

"My Tower had sat on your country for four centuries. Master Solon, tell us why." Milo raises his voice, glaring daggers at Ivan.

"Uh..." I shake my head and get over my shock. "The war against the Black Magic mages took place in this country. The Grand Sorcerer and the King made a peace treaty that-"

"Thank you." Milo cuts me off. "That was made four hundred years ago. I don't need to keep following it. I can keep my Tower on the private island I own all due to you pissing me off. You don't want to piss me off because I will make my own country. You will be cut off of my magical weapons, your armies will weaken, your economy will fall and you will have an angry country of mages against you. Is that what you want?" 

At the end of his speech, Milo has raised his voice and the air around us is charged, as if lightening will strike at any second. The sky has grown dark, dark clouds bumbling with charged bolts and strong winds hit us. I look to the Grand Sorcerer, terrified at this new look on his face. 

Ivan's face is red, pissed and scared. "No. I want you to stay in good relations with my family and stay in our country."

I look at him. It must have been hell for him to admit that. Milo clears his throat and snaps his fingers once more. My knees shake and the force pulls me to my knees. 

I exclaim and a pair of arms grabs me. I look up and see Adrian holding me up. Once the free-falling feeling has gone away, I thank him and step away. I look around and see that the night has now come and we are back on our country, the wild storm has vanished in an instant. Ivan is glaring at Milo, but he is silent.

"Now," Milo claps his hands. "Now that the two heirs of the Crown have heard me, you will know not to make me mad. And both shall remember, you cannot hurt those who belong to me. So, Prince Ivan, you cannot target Master Solon or Prince Adrian or else you will target me."

Ivan clears his throat. "I understand." He turns to look at Adrian. "It's... good to have you back, brother. I shall take my leave."

I watch him, watch how he nods to Milo and swiftly leave the room. I smile when the door closes and we are alone. I collapse on the nearest armchair and laugh loudly.

The rush it felt when he bowed his head to Milo. The pure horror on his face when Milo took us to his island. Milo sits on my chair's armrest and I grab his hand, the smile wide on my face.

"God, Milo." I laugh, thinking of how scared Ivan was. "I- I think I'm in love."

Milo laughs, throwing his head back up in amusement. I look to see Adrian is standing and carefully watching us. I don't care, I don't care what he has to think.

"Did you see how scared he was? How scared you all were?" Milo laughs.

I let go of his hand and lounge on the chair. I look to the ceiling, fingers covering my mouth as I think of that bastard scared shitless. The thrill keeps me going, the plan exciting me.

"We just have to wait..." I whisper, my voice carries and I make eye contact with Adrian. "We have to wait to see who will be the next King."

Adrian stands straighter, pulling his shoulders back and I swear the room gets brighter with his proud smile. "Thank you for standing against him."

Milo walks to him, putting a hand on his shoulder. "Just... grow some balls and hide your fucking facial expressions. A child can read your thoughts. I would have thought the cold Duke would have showed you how."

I stand and smooth out my robe. I purse my lips and walk to Adrian. I narrow my eyes and he stands even straighter. "Prince Adrian, I look forward to working with you. Don't fuck me over."

I clap my hands and look to Milo. "I'll be going home. Do you need me before class officially starts?" He shakes his head and I nod. I look to Adrian and say goodbye.

I snap my fingers and I teleport out of the Tower. I make my body appear in the Venzor guild, showing up in Francis' office.

He swears and jumps out of his seat. I smile and wave at him. "Hello." I greet and take the sofa. I lounge and I point at the seat across from me.

"Giselle," he greets now that the shocked has gone away. "What are you doing here?"

"I came for another favor, another job." I say. Francis stands up straight, his smile gone and now he goes professional.

"How can I help you?"

"Lady Warrens, what do you know of her?" I ask, needing to get all the information of her.

"She is the  socialite." Francis sighs. "She is the cousin of the Princes. She is engaged to the Young Marquis Florn. She engages as the face of her family, involved with some institutions that give back to the poor. What else do you need from her?"

I purse my lips when I hear the information I already know. I shake my head and lean back. "Somehow, she has spoken to me... in a friendly way? I think she's starting to like me."

"That- that's good!" He smiles. "She's on your side now, right?"

"I need to make sure she stays on my side." I say. "She likes me, but emotions change quickly. I need her to be indebted to me."

"Alright," Francis nods his head. "I'll look into her, the people she interacts with. I'll have a person follow her for a week, inform me of everything she does and who she meets with. I'll have someone follow her father and mother."

I nod my head and think hard. "Look into her fiancé. She's expressed that she doesn't want to marry. If he's bad, we make it known, save her face and she'll feel indebted to us. If they are all clean... plant evidence on him. Let her be free."

"I love it when you're wicked." Francis grins. "I'll send one of my men to follow her, her family, her fiancé and her friends. I will let you know of anything you can use as blackmail." 

I smile, happy to know my luck is changing. My brother likes me a lot now, giving me this opal so I can call him in an instant. Francis with his web of connections can help me with anything. Milo with his wealth of power is on my side. I take a deep breath, ready for the brewing storm ahead of me. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

604K 25.3K 99
Honestly, I don't give a rat's ass about anything from the storyline. Those fucking capture targets are so damn stupid, falling for an idiotic birdbr...
5.7M 303K 125
Falling into the fiery hell she created must've been the perfect way for her to die. The other woman would then become the heroine that saved the tow...
533 91 41
I ran as fast as I could. " you can't run away from me forever sweetheart, you are mine." He said, " what do you want from me?" I screamed at the top...
75.7K 2.1K 32
Merrie Claire de Rosalind was hated by everyone ever since she was born: the servants, her parents, her brother, and the kingdom. One fateful night...