beyond measure - lewis hamilt...

بواسطة themanabove

rory davidson was excited to start her rookie season of formula one, but how would she handle the loss of eve... المزيد

prologue.

chapter one - changing seasons

149 9 1
بواسطة themanabove

sorry i wanted to change the tense of the book and didnt particularly like the first chapter but im going to go back and edit the prologue too. 

Australia was the first race of the season and the first race back since the release of jackass three. the teams sandbagged through the winter, not wanting everyone to see the true power of their car for the season. it was also a time for drivers to keep a low profile and enjoy their time away from the track. but once the season's first race rolls around, all cards are on the table and the cameras are pointed back at the drivers.

it was still foreign to Rory, but she was never opposed to a challenge, however, she didn't approach it with a smile and laughter like she normally would, but with complete neutrality. she was by far the youngest driver on the track, but easily the most experienced with the media. which is what now stood between her and getting to the Red Bull garage.

she never feared the media but there were always two sides to her went the cameras were on. when she was around her friends, she was bubbly, smiling and full of laughter, but around the track, it wasn't the same she wasn't smiling in the media, she was smiling for the media. there was a sense of disconnection that the people closest to her saw but the fans never clocked it. she had been in the limelight since a young age, but nobody knew anything about her besides what was shown in the jackass movies and at the track, and she wanted to keep it that way. it was easy to get into trouble with the media, and it could cause serious issues throughout the season and have the potential to take away your seat for the next.

"formula one fans call for change over the controversial extension of rory davdison's contract with red bull for 2011 season.

formula one's first female driver rory davidson placed second in the championship in 2010, but her rookie season was clouded with controversy" rory read the article out loud as she through the paddock

dunn glanced over at her throwing her old red bull mechanics shirt at her "what about it?"

"what if they end up dropping me?" she wouldn't show this kind of vulnerability to anyone besides him.

"you've come all of this way and all it takes is a few bad articles for you to just give up" he continues to stare at her as they stand outside the conference centre. "do you love racing? I mean actually enjoy being in the car? because if you don't love it any more we can just pack now and go. there are countless other drivers including daniel that would take your seat in a heartbeat"

"its what I live for"

"that" he points firmly at rory " that is the reason you are here. you have so much talent but so does everyone else. that is what beats talent every time. when youre on the track it is just you against you. how hard are you going to push? it doesn't matter what anyone else says, youre the only one doing it. if it is really what you live for are you going to give up that quickly?"

"no" she tilts her head forward as a small grin makes its way onto her face.

"then put the fucking shirt on and get in there" he pushes her slightly towards the door

as the Brazillian entered the conference room, she pulled the old red bull mechanics button up over her shoulder, leaving the buttons undone exposing her midriff. it was standard for drivers to dress in team wear for media days, but rory never liked the boring polos she was provided with.

she waved politely at the other drivers that were crowding around the edge of the stage, causing them all to smile back. they mirrored her calm demeanour, but it was obvious to her they were trying to find any weaknesses in other teams as they spoke about testing.

Rory stepped up onto the stage, taking her seat next to her teammate Sebastian as the officials and press began filing into the room. there had been tension between the two of them toward the end of the last season after rory almost stole the championship from under him. but a lot of team bonding during the winter seemed to ease any of that leading into the new year.

all but one of the drivers had taken their seats as an older began explaining how the conference would be run. he always led these conferences but rory seemed to miss his name each time and at this point, it was too late to ask, without causing major embarrassment. She rolled her eyes noticing the one driver that was missing was sitting right next to her and rolled them even further as she made eye contact with filipe massa, meaning the one person she did not want anything to do with, would be sat right next to her.

"please not Alonso - " just as the man started to speak to the woman sat next to him the doors flung open and Alonso walked straight to his seat without an apology. he shot a smug smile at rory, turning his attention to the press in front. "mark Alonso as late on the record" he muttered "good evening we have our first questions from Phil Brannigan with Motor Sport News Australia"

a brunette man no older than thirty-five stood up amongst the sea of reports with a mic in hand "For Fernando, there's been a lot of talk about the new regulations this year and in particular the rear wing. Do you expect that, as senior drivers, you will have some sort of dialogue as the races unwind about how that's going to be implemented in future races?"

Keeping her classic media trained smile on her face, rory tuned out his answer not caring for what the Spaniard had to say. she nodded along every so often as the other drivers spoke, mentally running through the Australian track, memorising every bend and corner. seb nudged her slightly drawing her attention back to the questions being asked

"and davidson your thoughts?" she took a quick glance at seb unsure of what to say

"sorry I wasn't listening so I don't actually know what my thoughts would be" she gave a small shrug, causing some of the other drivers and press to laugh

"okay we will move on. you were involved in one of the highest numbers of crashes last season, is there anything you have done to work on your driving style through the break?" the room was quiet as he spoke down the microphone, rory didn't even know who the lady asking the questions worked for. Alonso looked at her with a smirk covering his face, and let out a small chuckle. every time they were together it became more obvious the distaste, he had for her

she offered a small smile before answering "I find it interesting that you ask this. I have seen the articles and media comments on my driving style but I won't change the way I drive. I do well for myself and for my team, there is a reason that I am still here and there is a reason why I got my seat in the first place. driving is always something I have been good at, leaving any worries behind when I get into the seat. out there I become one with the car but the day I stop aiming for any gap that appears in front of me, is the day I will stop racing."

"that might cost the team more money than you make them, in the end no?" Fernando questioned, causing her to turn in her spot looking at him directly in the eye.

"sebastian what are your thoughts and how do you think your driving style differs from davidson?"

"I certainly do a lot of things... differently to Rory in regards to my driving style. I tend to talk to my car before and during the race, name each one of them, and treat the car as my partner in the race. Rory is young, she doesn't do relationships, she just becomes one with the car. it's different but I respect it" he said which caused Mark to roll his eyes at the irony

"just noticing that dark bruise under your ribs there davidson, is this an injury from training?" the man tilted his head slightly as he spoke

"ahh" she glanced down only just realising how visible the bruise really was "no it's not training has been going fairly smoothly. I have just wrapped up working on Jackass 3.5 which will... wait am I allowed to say that? or is that a rude word?"

"no you're fine"

"oh well. we tried to recreate the riot control test that johnny did in the first movie. I strongly advise that nobody else try it because it really hurt to sit down for about a week and the bruise still hasn't gone after nearly two months" she could hear jenson and seb laughing from beside her

"hopefully you don't injury yourself too badly or daniel will steal your seat from under you" mark spoke up from behind the red bull drivers.

"there is no filming set for this year, but I would understand if redbull was to replace me if I were to injury myself and not meet their expectations" rory sent an overly sweet smile in his direction.

"davidson do you see yourself continuing your career in racing or turning a focus to films in the future?" the man tried to continue his questions

"im here because I want to be and until I lose the drive to win, I don't see myself walking away"

"it seems that any tensions following last season have settled within redbull, my next question is for mark webber, how are things settling at Force India Mercedes after your first season with the team?"

"For sure! it was so great, my first time with the team, working hard, and looking forward to the new season. It was not so easy, but it was quite tough, quite difficult to adapt myself to a new team, new cars, everything, new rules but I really feel ready to do the race and start the championship." there was always something unsettling about the smile he gave, like there was something coming but you just never knew what it was or when it would explode. "It feels good to be supported by the team and Paul. it is certainly a different atmosphere from what I had been used to but it is a good change. everyone seems to know their position within the team, including the test drivers who are there to support the us, and collect data" mark was staring intently at the two red bull drivers but neither of them was going to encourage him by looking back.

the man from the start of the conference stood once again "were there any more questions before we conclude" he took a quick glance around the room "okay. thank you very much that concludes today's press conference at the 2011 Australian grand prix. this has been recorded and a copy of the transcript will be made available by the end of the day"

"well, boys" rory spoke rising from her chair, drawing the driver's attention to her "let the games begin" She flashed a small innocent smile that would pass as totally honest.

Sebastian had questioned her all season about her need to be seen as constantly happy and positive in the media. but once she explained, he understood fully. Rory had already been plastered over news outlets before she joined formula one, but once she was joined as a test driver the press dragged her name. unprofessional was the word used most often. she was never mad about their comments, she knew they would come hand in hand with her connection to the jackass franchise. but the fans loved that about her, no matter what the challenge, she faced it with a determined smile.  

let me know your thoughts! hope you enjoy 

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

1.1M 30.1K 37
After the passing of Abigail Bentley's mother, she is now the only one responsible for her family's well-being. Her father, often too drunk to stand...
413K 24.9K 84
Y/N L/N is an enigma. Winner of the Ascension Project, a secret project designed by the JFU to forge the best forwards in the world. Someone who is...
457K 31.2K 46
♮Idol au ♮"I don't think I can do it." "Of course you can, I believe in you. Don't worry, okay? I'll be right here backstage fo...
474K 14.5K 98
Theresa Murphy, singer-songwriter and rising film star, best friends with Conan Gray and Olivia Rodrigo. Charles Leclerc, Formula 1 driver for Ferrar...