A Marriage Contract

By sequinedsmile

Vincent Chae, CEO of The Chae Foundation and a single father, faces a dire situation. He must marry quickly t... More

Characters
Playlist
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
House
Chapter 5- Part 2
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Author's Message
Chapter 46
Announcement+Upcoming Books
Chapter 47
THE NEW BOOK RELEASEšŸ„³

Chapter 29

2.7K 76 14
By sequinedsmile

Eliza's POV-

I have shared a bed with Vincent for every night for almost two months now but today somehow felt different.

So many things happened in a day. I just lay in my bed, my back facing him, contemplating about my feelings.

I knew I found him good looking and I liked his company. But was it more than that?

I defended him in front of Henry. I was angry when Henry talked off shit. And I was weirdly attracted to Vincent when he warned Henry to stay away from me.

Also something happens in me whenever he call me 'my wife'.

I looked out of the open window at the moon. It was beautiful. Even though it was surrounded with undying darkness it always was beautiful despite it's flaws.

Just like Vincent.

He was no prince charming. Come on, let's be serious, no prince charming was going to threaten anyone.

Vincent was cold at most times but that's what made his soft side so beautiful. Because when he smiled the whole world lit up. Him letting go of his business personality and enjoying time with me made me really happy.

When he said that our relationship was not just a contract it was a marriage, it made me feel butterflies.

Suddenly I snapped out of my thoughts.

What was I even thinking? Comparing him to the moon?

I was being delusional.

Or are you catching feelings? My conscious asked.

That can't be true.

Or maybe it is....

Definitely not. I am just happy living with him and it feels good having him around.

Do you hate the thought of having to leave him?

Yes, but that's because I'd have to leave the kids too.

But do you hate the idea of leaving him?

I didn't what to admit it but yes. I did hate that thought. It was like an important part of my life was getting taken away from me.

See, you do like him.

I pulled the comforter above my head and shut all this off. I had an early morning tomorrow and I wasn't going to stay up overthinking.

When I was seconds away from falling asleep I felt an arm settle on my body but I was too sleepy to react.

The next morning I woke up early at about 5 am. Today I had many things to do. When I woke up, it felt warm around me despite the cool breeze entering from the window.

Warm air was tickling my neck. I slowly turned my head to see Vincent plastered to my back with his hand around my waist.

He was sleeping peacefully. I looked at him for a moment. We've never been this close while sleeping.

I slowly removed his hand from my waist without disturbing him. I showered and came out to see him soft on the bed with messy hair and groggy eyes.

"You are awake early." He said.

Holy motherfucking mozzarella! His morning voice was HOT!

I never heard it because I usually got up early and studied at home.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

"Umm... Yeah. I have a lot to do today." I said.

"Okay. If you are done can I use the bathroom?" He motioned towards the bathroom behind me.

"Yeah, sure." I stepped away and he went in.

God! I needed to get my head straight.

Everyone else in the house was asleep.

I had to prep for the food to be made. While doing that I felt hungry. I took a bowl of instant ramen and boiled some water for it.

"What are you doing?" Vincent's voice came from behind me.

"Having instant ramen. You want some?" I asked.

"Sure." He said.

I made took out another bowl of instant ramen and made some for him too. We both sat on the wooden step connecting the kitchen and the back yard.

"I didn't think you'd know what instant ramen is." I said.

"And why is that?" He asked.

"Didn't you always have some elaborate cooked meal by a personal chef?" I teased him.

"Haha." He sarcastically laughed.

"Just so you know, I've lived off of instant ramen for a time in my life." He said.

"Really? I find that hard to believe." I shrugged my shoulders.

"Do you think I've always had people back and forth of me?" He asked.

"Didn't you?" I implied.

"I did, but that has nothing to do with this." He said and ate some ramen. I looked at him as he took a bite but stopped eating it half way and the ramen hung from his lips.

"What happened?" I asked.

"Did you put any seasoning in this?" He asked.

"Why?" I questioned.

"It's just too bland." He said.

I looked into his bowl and he was right. I did forget to put seasoning in it.

"Shit! Wait, I'll bring it." I went the the kitchen to bring the packet of seasoning

"Good morning, Noona." Thomas entered the kitchen.

"Good morning dumbo." I said. He rolled his eyes.

"Oh, hyeongnim! You are awake." Thomas said.

Hyeongnim?

"Good morning, Thomas." Vincent said.

"So, you know who messaged me and said that it's here." Thomas said.

"Excuse me, what?" I asked.

"It's not for you, Noona. I am talking to my bro in law." Thomas said.

The fuck?

"When should we go then?" Vincent asked.

"Now, if you are okay with." Thomas said.

"Fine, I'll get dressed." Vincent stood up and walked towards the kitchen counter, placing the ramen bowl down.

"Where are you going?" I asked.

"That's a secret between us." Thomas said.

"Yeah." Vincent said.

"What about breakfast?" I asked.

"We'll have something on the way." Vincent said.

"Yeah, now byeee." Thomas and Vincent walked out of the kitchen leaving me baffled.

When did they get so close?

Without thinking too much I resumed preparing for the morning rituals.

At around 8 o'clock. I got ready in my hanbok. It was my favourite one. Pink and white. I wore my hair in a braid with a ribbon and flower clips.

Umma and appa were also wearing hanboks. And to my surprise Umma found my and Thomas's old hanboks and dressed Lily and Jamie in them.

My kids looked so cute.

There was still no sign of Vincent and Thomas. They both left in the morning and hadn't returned till now. Not were they picking up their phones. All I got was a text from Thomas saying 'we are busy. Stop disturbing us .'

I was outside meeting and welcoming all the guests who were coming. There was a small creek behind our house and it was shared community space where sometimes we held celebrations.

Every year umma and appa celebrated their anniversary in the Korean way here.

I loved this place. Especially the little wooden bridge there. Decorators did an amazing job this time. Everything was designed in pastels.

I stood over the bridge, looking at my parents with the kids. All of them looked so happy together. Lily hadn't left my parents's side since yesterday. Jamie also didn't throw a single tantrum.

I felt happy that my parents had grandkids now.

"Hey, Eli." Henry called from behind me. 

"What do you want?" I turned to him. Nowadays even his presence is annoying.

"I want to talk to you." He said.

"But I don't. I have work to do." I said.

"Just a few minutes. Please." He said.

"No." I said firmly.

"I won't take a lot of your time. Just a few minutes." He said.

"Fine. But but don't ever disturb me again." I said.

"Okay." He looked relieved.

"What happened?" I folded my hands near my chest.

"Are you sure about this?" He asked.

"About what?" I questioned.

"About your marriage." He said.

"Excuse me, what the hell do you just say?" I rhetorically asked.

"Listen to me calmly please. What I want to say is that he isn't your type. He is clearly much older than you also he doesn't give me good vibes." He said.

"And why would I care what you think?" I felt anger rising in me.

"Because I care for you. I know we didn't end on the best note but I will always care for you." His words sounded so genuine that I almost fell for them.

"You? Caring for me?" I scoffed. "Weren't you the one who broke up with me right after my disease was found? Weren't you the one who cheated on me with my fucking cousin?"

"That's the past-" He said but I cut him.

"The hell it is. Even if it is, shouldn't you have supported me? Even if it was my friend not my boyfriend. You didn't bother to even call me." I said.

All things I wanted to say were coming out of my heart now.

"I know what I did was wrong. And I am truly sorry for it. I still feel guilty but that doesn't mean your so called husband is right for you." He took my hands in his.

"So called husband? He is my husband." I said.

"Really? I can guarantee you haven't known him for even a year. He doesn't know shit about you, does he?" He accused.

"Maybe you are right, he doesn't know me like you used to. But that doesn't mean shit to me. That man helped me when I was on my period while you used tell me that I was overreacting. That man took me to the best doctor in New York for consultation the day he found about my disease while you made me go to the hospital in a goddamn taxi because you were busy partying with your friends. That man made me a mother while you left me saying you couldn't stay with someone who can't get pregnant. Your family made me feel like an outsider even though we had known eachother for years while his brothers made me feel home the first time I met them. So yeah, he may not know much about me but he sure as hell makes me more happy more than you ever could.

I am telling this to you not because I owe you any explanation but because I wanted to tell you how a real man treats his partner. Now, if you are done raising my blood pressure then leave. And don't ever come near me. Also, if you say a single word against my husband I'll tell Lauren that the engagement ring she is flaunting around is nothing but a fake." I looked straight in his eyes.

"How did you-" He stuttered.

"I knew it the moment I say it. That is the same ring your mother had gotten from the pawn shop as a joke. Remember?" I taunted.

His face grew paler.

"And see this? This is a real diamond ring." I held up my hand in front of his face.

"I..." He stuttered again.

"Shut up and leave with a little of your self respect intact." I said.

He turned around and walked away.

I turned back to where my parents were before but I instead I saw a very angry looking Vincent standing there.

I awkwardly waved at him. Suddenly he started walking in long strides towards me and within a few seconds he was inches away from me. But he didn't stop instead he held my face in his hands and kissed me.

My eyes widened.

This wasn't like the kisses before. It wasn't just a kiss. It felt like a real kiss like he had said yesterday.

He moved his lips against mine and I lost myself. I closed my eyes and kissed him back.

It felt magical. His lips moved against mine. My heart was about to bust in my chest. My hands were clammy but in a good way. A flock of butterflies flew in my stomach. The smell of his cologne filled in me.

The kiss felt angry yet loving. Possessive but soft.

His tongue softly brushed against my lips and I instantly opened up. This was the best kiss of my life. And why won't it be after all this was our first real kiss.

Vincent's POV-

I got out of the car in front of Eliza's house. Me and Thomas had gone to pick up my halloween costume. Yesterday when I was doing some research about my costume I got idea on how wear a costume and not be humiliated in front my in laws.

I asked Thomas for help because I didn't know much about this city and where I could get everything I needed. Luckily he helped me arrange all the things I needed.

I kept the costume up in the room and came down.

Yu Eun walked in to the living room wearing a hanbok. She hasn't worn one since her first birthday.

"Appa! How do I look?" She twirled around in excitement showing me her hanbok.

"Like the most beautiful girl in this whole world." I went down to her level and bopped her nose.

"Take my photo." She said.

"Ofcourse." The next 10 minutes went in a elaborate photoshoot, where I had to crouch down to different positions to get different angles.

If someone saw me like this, they'd definitely laugh but I will do anything to see my daughter this happy.

"Send this to samchon!" She said.

"Yes, ma'am." I said. "By the way, where is your mom?"

"She is on the bridge near the small river." She motioned water flowing with her hands.

"River?" I questioned.

"Yes, there is river behind the kitchen." She said.

"And what is she doing there?" I asked.

"Talking to that uncle." She said.

"Which uncle?" I questioned.

"The one with noodle hair." She yucked her face at that.

Noodle hair?
No.
It better not be that douchebag.

"Okay. You go play with your brother." I said and walked out of the back yard.

There was wooden door attached to the fence. I opened it and behind it was a whole another celebration going on.

There were many people here. It was decorated in light colors. I walked out to it.

I couldn't find the bridge Yu Eun was talking about so I walked around. After about 5 minutes I saw the bridge but I didn't like what I seeing.

Eliza was standing there with her back faced towards me and that dumbass was standing in front of her and he was too close.

Didn't I warn him to stay away from her?

They were engaged in an animated conversation. None noticed me.

My first balled up. That's when I realised I would burn this whole world down just to keep her for myself.

I watched as he finally walked away from her. Eliza turned around and saw me. She waved at me.

In anger I stalked towards her. Before even I knew what I was doing I kissed her.

It was angry, possessive kiss. I wanted everyone there to know that she mine and only mine.

Slowly the kiss turned soft. My hand slid down from her face to her waist and circled it while the other hand rested on her cheek. She was also reacting to it.

Her hands went around my neck. I pulled her even more closer to me as I entered her mouth.

I hadn't confessed to her about my feelings so I was pouring all that I felt for in that kiss.

When we finally pulled away both of us were breathless. I rested my head against her and closed my eyes.

"Why did you that?" She asked. Her voice was heavy.

"Because I wanted that dumbass to know you are my wife know." I said.

"Jealous much?" She chuckled.

I wanted to admit it but my ego wouldn't let me.

"Of him? As if." I scoffed.

"Then why?" She asked again.

"What husband would sit behind and watch his wife's ex getting close to her?" I said.

"Oh." She said.

There was a giggling noise from behind me which made me Eliza look there in confusion. Yu Eun was standing there with a phone and probably recording what had just happened.

I looked around us and there were a bunch of eyes fixated on us.

"Shit! Now everyone's going to talk about it." Eliza whispered.

"Let them." I said.

"I am going to send this to samchon." Lily said.

"Yu Eun, no." I said firmly.

She ran away laughing.

"That kid." I said.

"Hey, don't talk about my daughter like that." Eliza elbowed my stomach.

"Do you know how much shit I am going to have to here when they see this?" I asked rhetorically.

"Your problem." She walked past me and like a lost puppy I followed her.

When did I become so pathetic?

"Vincent," Mrs. Ahn called me.

"Yes?" I replied.

"Do you want to wear a hanbok? I mean that's completely up to you. I just asked." She said.

"I'd love to. But I don't have one." I said.

"Don't worry, we have an extra one. You can wear that." She said enthusiastically.

"Thomas, give him the green hanbok from appa's closet." Thomas was already in his hanbok.

"Ye, umma." He said.

As we walked inside, he said, "Seems like you've already won their hearts."

"You think so?" I asked.

"Definitely. Otherwise appa doesn't give his stuff to anyone." He said.

"Well I feel lucky." I chuckled.

Afterwards I changed into a hanbok. It had been years since I have worn it. But it felt good. It was a green and blue one.

I went back to creek area to find Eliza doing an elaborate photo session of the kids.

"Appa come here." Yu Eun motioned me to come towards her.

I kept the gifts I had bought for Eliza's parents on a table and went there.

"Stand beside Lily, I ended to take photos." Eliza said.

I picked up Yu Eun in my arms. As Eliza was clicking photos her parents walked towards us.

"Oh my god, you all look so good wearing hanboks." She said.

"Eliza, go stand beside them. Let's get a family photo of you all." Mr. Ahn said. He called the over.

Eliza picked up Ye On from his small seat.

"Ma ma." He babbled excitedly.

"That's right. I am you mama." Eliza said to him.

"Alright, everybody ready?" The photographer asked.

"Yes." We all collectively said.

"Eliza, could you stand more close to your husband?" The photographer asked.

Eliza shifted closer to me.

After a few photos, Eliza's family stood together for their family pictures.

I stood behind the photographer with the kids.

Eliza looked so happy here.

"You all also come here for the family picture." Mr. Ahn motioned towards us.

I sent Yu Eun there and she carried Ye On with her.

"Vincent you too." Mrs. Ahn said.

"Uh...no. These are your family pictures." I said.

"And that's why you have to come here. You are our family now. You are our son more than our son in law." She said.

Those made their way directly in my heart.

Son. 

That one word I had always wanted.

We all stood together. It felt so good. I genuinely smiled for these pictures because no matter how much I tried I couldn't hide it.

"Come on everybody, let's start." Thomas said.

Eliza's parents performed all the traditional Korean rituals. Then everybody gave them gifts.

"Is everybody done?" Eliza asked at the end.

"Not yet." I said.

"What?" She asked.

"Yu Eun, come let's give you halmeoni and haraboji their gifts." I handed the gift bags to Yu Eun.

She excitedly walked over to them and handed them the gifts.

"Happy Anniversary halmeoni and haraboji!" She said.

"Thank you so much, princess." Mr. Ahn said.

"Vincent you didn't have to bring us anything." Mrs. Ahn said.

"It was my first time meeting you, I couldn't show up empty handed." I said.

"Open it! Open it!" Yu Eun said.

"Okay." They both took out the boxes from the bags and a collective gasp sounded from everyone there.

I mentally thanked Roman for buying these gifts.

For Mrs. Ahn it was a diamond necklace and earrings set while for Mr. Ahn it was Rolex watch.

"Holy shit bro in law." Thomas said.

"Do you like it?" Yu Eun asked.

"We love it." Mrs. Ahn said.

"But this is too expensive for us to accept." Mr. Ahn said flustered.

"You called me your family just some time ago and now you are making me feel like a stranger again." I said.

"That's not what I meant. It's just that this is too much." Mr. Ahn said.

"Consider it as a apology for marrying your daughter without your permission." I said.

They both laughed.

"If that also doesn't convince you then accept it as a gift from your son." I said.

"Now, how can I say no to this emotional blackmail." Mrs. Ahn said.

I smiled at her. 

"So, are we finally done with all the gifts?" Mr. Ahn asked.

"Appa, wait!" Thomas said, "Ready, Noona?"

Eliza nodded. They both walked towards us as I stepped back to give them some space.

"Umma, appa, you both always said that you wanted some alone time again without us two disturbing you, right?" Thomas asked.

Mr. and Mrs. Ahn chuckled and nodded.

"So, me and Thomas are gifting you a second honeymoon. An all inclusive trip to Greece for a week." Eliza handed them a box tied with a ribbon inside which presumably were the tickets.

"Really?" Mrs. Ahn asked.

They both nodded.

"Oh, thank you so much." She hugged them and so did their father.

"When did you two get big enough to plan a trip on your own?" Mrs. Ahn sobbed slightly.

"Umma, no tears." Eliza said.

"Ofcourse." Mrs. Ahn kissed Thomas and her cheek.

"Now, if we are finally done with all the gifts, let's have lunch, get some rest and get ready for the halloween party." Mr. Ahn announced.

Everyone cheered.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

149K 6.3K 45
Diana Prichard learned early on about how much of a bitch life could be. Forced to abandon the one she loves and marry a monster to save her father...
96.6K 7.5K 43
Kid Shelly loves working with children. Perhaps it's because of her odd name, but she's always wanted to teach children and show them the love of Jes...
3.6M 152K 99
New updates every weekday by 9 am Thanks for 3k readsā¤ā¤ "I don't care," Lucas snapped back, "get her out of my house and find someone else." "Lucas...
82.8K 4.4K 71
Anthony Lockwood. I gave myself to him 6 years ago, I thought we would be together forever. Things happened. We had to end our relationship. 6 year...