I Reincarnated as Louis XVI t...

By KageNishi

A man playing a history game falls asleep and wakes up in the Palace of Versailles. To his shock, the man was... More

Prologue: Welcome to France
The Man, Louis XVI
Box of Versailles
Let's Dance at the Ball
Red Rain Incident
I Will Conquer, with the People
Palais-Royal
Dawn of a New Era
Attitude Survey Results
In the Swaying Carriage
Throbbing
The Start of Reforms
Bath Arc
Brother-in-Law!
17 Years Old
Blacksnake
Whereabouts of Foreign Currency
Be a Sword, Be a Shield
Academy of Sciences
Doctor Sanson
Education
Kraków
Enriching Meals
Operation Stork
New World Disturbance
Villainous Intentions Righteous Opportunity
1st International French Fashion Fair
Squirming
PAPAMAMA
If I Shouted Too Much Love in the Middle of Versailles, They Got Mad at Me
Swedish Noblemen
His Majesty's Holiday
Made in Taiwan
Tuscany
Operation Leviathan
Amadeus
Christmas
Bourbon Doctrine
Locomotive
How About Spices?
Last Kingdom
Fire on the Other Shore
Looming Threat
2.20
Class
Economic Index
Anti-Britain Grand Alliance
Opening Moves for Dominance

Bourbon Reforms

1.6K 39 9
By KageNishi

Request from the author: I really want to put together a story about internal politics, so I will be in serious mode (compared to mine) for about 4 chapters, including this one.

Please understand.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(31)

"Demise and Rebirth"

☆ ★ ☆

July 20, 1770

Finally, the days of all-nighters are over...

It was 08:30, and I was able to sleep for seven hours for the first time in a long time. Lately, I have usually been up until around 03:00. At 15 years old, my physical fatigue seems to have already reached its peak.

I'm eating breakfast, but these days, hot milk with Antoinette is soaking into my stomach...

Three weeks have passed since I was appointed as Acting King. The situation had improved little by little, and we have managed to get over our worries about the unrest in the country. The first thing to do was to overhaul at top speed the guards, mercenaries, and the gendarmerie in charge of Versailles, in the wake of the unthinkable events in the palace. The main reforms were to organize the personnel, check the luggage of visitors, and manage security.

This should have been done by Louis XV or someone like him...

This is the result of them procrastinating on a hole in security that I've been having problems with for a while!!!

I should have been more careful myself. Or rather, I regret that I should have persisted stronger. I shouldn't have let things be more fluid than I thought they would be.

Just when I thought even Adélaïde wouldn't go so far as to assassinate me, this happened. I was too naïve in my assumptions. This was my own fault. I put not only myself but also Antoinette in danger. I even seriously considered sending Antoinette back to her hometown of Vienna for her own safety.

I discussed it with Antoinette and the Austrian ambassador for a long time, but Antoinette herself said she wanted to stay with me, so we decided to stay. At first, I and the ambassador tried to persuade her, but she insisted, saying that she wanted to be there to help me when I am in trouble. So, I and the ambassador were defeated by Antoinette's resolve.

Antoinette's mother must have been horrified. So in order to prevent a repeat of such a situation, reforms and improvements must be made. As Antoinette's life was in her hands, the French-Austrian alliance would collapse if we allowed any more blunders to occur. So I focused on maintaining domestic security, which would be the first thing to be disrupted, and worked intensively to solve the problem.

First, Adélaïde's faction was completely finished. The attempted assassination of the King and the Dauphin and the assassination of Madame du Barry, the King's favorite concubine, had a huge impact not only in France but also in neighboring countries.

Naturally, Adélaïde's supporters, nobles, and clergymen who were close to them were the first to be investigated and taken in by the gendarmerie. The number of those taken into custody was over 80, including ministers who were close to Louis XV, merchants who frequented Versailles, and even the great nobles who owned large manors in the countryside.

Of these, six women, including Victoire, who had directly heard Adélaïde give the order for the assassination, were sent to a convent. From the confessions of Victoire, the other women, and the daughter of the nobleman who tried to assassinate me, we know that Adélaïde asked her most trusted cronies to bind them with a rope.

And when the information from the guard who entered the room was compared, it was clear that the testimony of the women's confessions was highly credible, and Victoire was unable to stop Adélaïde's outburst, although she tried. The incident was therefore a spontaneous one, and Victoire and others were unable to stop her at knife-point.

However, considering the gravity of the situation, the women who were deeply involved in the incident were stripped of their identities, their estates and assets were confiscated, and Victoire was even separated from the royal family and was forced to spend the rest of her life in a monastery. She was not allowed to leave and spent the rest of her life on the monastery grounds reciting penance.

This was still a light punishment for those involved in the assassination. The two guards who opened the door without a proper physical examination were punished and sentenced to five years of labor, and Adélaïde, the main culprit, was ordered by the King on the morning of July 8 to be beheaded in the Bastille Prison where she was being held. Even after she was taken to the prison, she was so violent, repeatedly hitting the walls until her fingernails came off, and repeatedly bashing her head so hard that it split open, that the psychiatrist had to give up on her.

"As for me, I want to make my daughter comfortable and not make her suffer anymore. I will be merciful as a father just for the last time... because I want to finish Madame du Barry's funeral as soon as possible. Auguste, I ask you to carry out Adélaïde's sentence."

"I understand. Then we will execute her on the same day."

The undisclosed beheading was carried out at 15:15 on July 8. Anyway, Adélaïde had thrashed around until just before the execution, and when the sentence was carried out, her hands and feet were bound before the executioner beheaded her head. Adélaïde never said a word of apology to Madame du Barry until the very end, and even before her death, she screamed insults at her. There was no apology of any kind, they said. Reading the report, I couldn't help but feel a chill down my spine with fear.

Her body was quietly buried in a small cemetery in Paris. The princess, who had committed high treason, ended her life by reportedly being punished by God with her own body. Adélaïde, who had killed her nemesis, Madame du Barry, destroyed herself and perished because she could not let go of her pride until the end. Historians of later generations might say that this was a tremendous suspense drama development.

Madame du Barry, on the other hand, was officially given an honorary knighthood and made Comtesse du Barry for her selfless protection of the King. Of course, this was only a formality, as she had numerous stab wounds on her body, so only her face was shown at her state funeral, and the coffin was filled with her favorite flowers to disguise the scenery and the smell of death.

She was buried in the magnificent Basilica of Saint-Denis in the suburbs from the Palace of Versailles, a state funeral attended by many women, perhaps because she had died to protect the King. Antoinette also attended the state funeral of Madame du Barry, who, according to Antoinette, tearfully said that her spirit was admirable, as she risked her life to protect her loved one regardless of their status.

The King, who had been seriously wounded, had lost weight. He also suffered a deep cut on his abdomen, which caused his legs to go numb and left him with other aftereffects. He was still able to speak and communicate, but his doctors were unsure if he will be able to make it through the new year because of his poor physical condition.

So, as a last resort, I came to see him once every two days to learn how to socialize with him and listen to his bedside manner. That was about all Louis XV can do now. He was not even left with the energy to share the bedding with a woman at night, even if he was never in bed.

The rest of Adélaïde's faction were either deserted or deported, but none of them were executed except for the daughter of the aristocrat who was the main culprit. The woman who tried to kill me was the daughter of a local nobleman from the south of France, and she was only 22 years old. She was beautiful, and in an internet novel, I would have forgiven her for that (in return for doing something naughty), but since this is a reality, no.

After all, she tried to kill the Dauphin. I can't defend this, and since she had sworn allegiance to Adélaïde, there was a possibility that she will kill me if she was released. Therefore, it had been decided that she will be executed in private. She seemed to be an aristocrat to avoid being humiliated, and the last thing she wants is to be beheaded...

Since the guillotine has not been developed yet, it was said that they will cut off her head with a heavy sword, but even so, it may be disastrous because the death cannot be caused by a single blow unless the sword is handled by someone skilled.

But it seemed that Brother Henri Sanson, a veteran executioner, will carry out the execution, so she will not suffer. After the execution, she will be buried in the cemetery in her hometown. If I had not been reincarnated, she might have survived with Adélaïde.

This is a digression, but I personally wanted to go after the Duchesse de Polignac, who was responsible for Antoinette's downfall in history, but I couldn't do it. Luckily for her, she had kept her distance from Adélaïde's faction. It was regrettable that I could not expel the Duchesse de Polignac from the palace, since she had little contact with Adélaïde's faction.

The establishment of the Department of Land Administration is scheduled to be announced at 11:00 today. It may be somewhat unprepared, but it was better than nothing. Like myself, Louis XV, the guards, mercenaries, and ministers were able to manage the crisis. That laxity led to this major incident.

In light of that incident, I will take the necessary steps to reform the country. Or rather, if we don't take them, the country could be destroyed. I'm not talking about a story, I'm serious. Let's do a major reform of France! Do it!

In the Dauphin's room, my mind was racing at all hours, waiting for the arrival of the important people who would help us establish today. Also, the person who will be supporting Antoinette will officially become the Chief Consort from today. Today, in a very real sense, it is time for France to open up a new future. With new expectations in my heart, I held meetings with Antoinette and other important people.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(32)

"Indispensable Gears"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At 09:30, Antoinette and I were on our way to the Petit Trianon for a preliminary meeting to discuss the establishment of the "Land Administration" and the associated political reforms. A large number of guards surrounded me and Antoinette to protect us as we move. After the assassination attempt of the king, the guards and the police of Versailles were working tensely. I'm glad they're doing their SP work.

After all, the establishment of this Department of Land Administration will be crucial in preventing a revolution. It will serve as a counterintelligence organization. In addition, the establishment of this organization also costs a huge amount of money. It seemed that the important person who provided the funds was already waiting in the reception room of the Petit Trianon.

When we arrived at the building, I found a rather coarse building standing there. From the outside, it looked like a two-story office building, but inside is a magnificent château itself. It was originally built by Louis XV for his mistress Pompadour, but she died before it was completed, so Madame du Barry owned the building.

According to the original history, Antoinette built a pseudo-farming village, Hameau de la Reine, where she raised vegetables and animals and spent peaceful moments. It is indeed an area that could be a good place for a farm.

However, it would be more satisfactory for the people of France if it were built as an experimental royal farm for growing cold-hardy vegetables, such as potatoes and pumpkins, which have not yet been introduced in Europe. If they put a seal of approval from the Dauphin and Dauphine on the farm, they would make a lot of money.

So there is no such thing as wasteful spending by the public. Research and experimentation are necessary costs for the development of science. We should avoid the future's painful experience of having to cut levees and scientific research funds one after another because of cost-cutting because of wasteful spending.

However, the number of servants in the Palace of Versailles is too many, so I would reduce their number. The palace is now restricted not only to the palace but also to the general public. Eventually, the number of servants will be reduced to... around 1.000, which is not the minimum necessary, but enough to run the business, including the servants' holidays.

Hmm, if this puts Antoinette's mind at ease, it will kill two, or maybe even four birds with one stone. Antoinette seemed to like to settle down in places like this.

"It's so relaxing here... it's nice and quiet in Versailles."

"That's right... it's nice to have lunch in a quiet place like this. Let's have lunch here again next time I have free time."

"Yes, I'll treat you to some sweets then!"

"Yeah!"

And so Antoinette's impression was very good. After Madame du Barry's death, the Petit Trianon was made cozy by taking a week to put away her personal belongings. Two visitors had already arrived at the salon in the château. They were important people who will be responsible for me, Antoinette, and the future of France. One was a woman with a beautiful face and kind, generous eyes. The other was the elderly man I conversed with at the ball.

"We have been expecting you, Princesse de Lamballe, Monsieur Josef Hauser."

""My Lord Dauphin!""

"At ease, both of you. Make yourself comfortable."

...But, perhaps as a conditioned reflex, they immediately stood up and bowed to us as soon as their names were called. The two kneeled and even pledged their allegiance. After ordering the guard who had come to the front of the room to step back, the four of us were alone in the room, sitting down at the table to face each other.

"Antoinette, let me introduce you. This is Princesse de Lamballe, Madame Marie Louise. She is a very pure person, and the one I wanted to be at your side as the head of the court ladies."

"Madame Dauphine, my name is Marie Louise. From now on, I will serve you as the Dauphine's leading court lady. I look forward to your acquaintance..."

"Sure thing, I have heard about you, Madame de Lamballe! Let us get along!"

"Yes, milady! I am very honored!"

Antoinette was able to exchange greetings with Princesse de Lamballe and talked face-to-face. She's a very straight person. Antoinette, who was brought to meet with her, immediately exchanged charming greetings and seemed to immediately got closer together.

Ahhh, I want to leave this smile as a photograph for posterity!

And then there is the elderly gentleman next to her!!!

This is the man who secured the funds for the establishment of the Department of Land Administration at a rapid pace. He is so important to me that I would like to personally award him a title with his name on it as the father of France's salvation, so to speak. He was an unknown merchant buried in the shadows of history, although in the original timeline he was a court merchant. Without his support, the establishment of this Department of Land Administration would have been impossible.

"The gentleman over here is Monsieur Josef Hauser. You may have seen him at the ball before, and he is a big businessman. It is thanks to him that we were able to set up the Department of Land Administration. He will be working with us in the business community."

"Josef Hauser, at your service. Thank you very much for your continued patronage, My Lord Dauphin. It's nice to meet you, Madame Antoinette..."

"Pleased to meet you too! By the way, where were you born, Monsieur Josef?"

"...Innsbruck, Austria, and since I was 30 years old, I have been doing business in France with the court and the nobility."

"Ooh! You are from Austria just like me! How is it in Austria now?"

"More peaceful than ever, Madame Antoinette."

Antoinette asked a very aggressive question... This made me nervous.

Josef is from Austria, but is not ethnically Austrian. To be precise, he is Jewish.

He inherited his father's family fortune as a merchant and had gained some fame as a trader of jewelry and artworks in Austria and France. As a court merchant, he bought and sold luxury goods for the royal family and the nobility, but when I happened to approach him and have a chat with him, he turned out to be a kindred spirit.

He was a good conversationalist and, above all, well-versed in the French economy. He was a big businessman, and his connections and information network were too good to ignore. When I boldly talked to him about the liberation policy of the Jews in France, he told me with tears in his eyes that he would cooperate with me.

During this era, Jews were forced to live in segregated areas called ghettos. Not all Jews were like this, however, and wealthy merchants and financiers were given the right to live outside, and they had the financial resources to lend money not only to aristocrats but also to the royal family.

Although not as extreme as the Nazi regime led by Adolf Hitler in World War II in its persecution of Jews, which was so deranged as to eradicate the Jewish people themselves, Jews were still persecuted as a matter of course even during this period. It was the background of such an era that led to the support and rise of the Nazis in Europe.

So there.

I would like to issue a decree of tolerance that recognizes the Jewish people's faith so that they will not be persecuted. Louis XVI did this around 1787, but it was too late. Therefore, I decided to do the reform at the same time as the establishment of the Department of Land Administration, 17 years ahead of the original timeline. In addition, we will add the emancipation of serfs to the agenda and abolish de facto slavery in a snap.

When I presented my policy proposal to the king, who was almost bedridden, he gave his consent immediately. With his agreement, I intend to push it through as is. I acted as the moderator and presented the reform plan to the three of them.

"Then, we have about an hour and a half to go before the establishment, and I will show you in advance... what kind of reforms we are going to make, just for those of you who are here."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(33)

"The Sword of Reform"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proposals for reform...

If this is not implemented in the near future, the Kingdom of France will perish!

Literally, a revolution will occur and France will be transformed into a dictatorship of terror. This is a plan to prevent that from happening and then enjoy prosperity beyond the original timeline. It was a detailed outline of a reform plan called "Bourbon Reforms."

These details were not shown to the other nobles or even to my attendants. The contents were quite shocking, after all. It can be roughly divided into the following categories:

Bourbon Reforms

Promulgated and enforced within one month

1. Large-scale reassignment and reorganization of servants in the palace (to be completed between 1773 and 1775).

2. Toleration decree for the Jewish people and authorization to settle and become citizens in the country.

Promulgated and enforced by the end of the year

3. Abolition of serfdom and implementation of agrarian reform.

4. Tougher penalties for criminal acts by the privileged class (nobility and clergy).

Promulgated and enforced within 2 years

5. Introduction of the modernized industry using steam engines and other new technologies.

6. Promoting the importation, cultivation, and growth of cold-hardy foods.

Promulgated and enforced within 3 years

7. Securing food reserves in case of famine.

8. Improvement of educational institutions.

9. Promotion of scientific medical practices.

10. Prohibition of non-scientific occult medical practices.

Promulgated and enforced within 5 years

11. Improvement of sewage system and introduction of sewage purchase system.

12. Establishment of mechanical industrial zones based on steam engines.

Promulgated and enforced within 10 years

13. Economic expansion into the Far East and Asia.

Roughly these items should be completed by about 1780. The top three points were scheduled to be implemented in the near future, and if at least the sixth point from the top is implemented, France will be safe for at least 30 years. For this reason, I have listed them from the top as those that will take time from the short term to the long term. The first person who was surprised when he saw these proposed reforms was Josef.

"M-my Lord Dauphin, are you going to carry out these points!?"

"The plan is to implement them over a period of ten years. The first two points from the top... will be legalized in the near future or in a month at the latest, and will come into effect with the approval of the king. So, the establishment of the Department of Land Administration today needs to be done so that these two points can be quickly put into effect, you see. That's what I'm aiming for."

"I see... even though you have told us about this, the time has finally come to put this into action."

"To be honest, I thought we would be okay for another three years or so, but the king's health is not as good as I thought it would be, so it has become necessary to put this into effect as soon as possible. Monsieur Josef, continue to do your best."

"Yes, as you wish..."

Josef seemed surprised that we were aiming to enforce the first two in a month. The Palace of Versailles has been in a state of limiting the entry of the public after the Adélaïde affair, after reducing the number of personnel and strengthening security.

In the first place, 4.000 people were too many for that palace. Since there were too many people and there were too many crimes committed by disguised thieves, there was no end of it in sight, so we decided to cut down on expenses for personnel who were too wasteful.

As an example, the meal and catering staff included a person to fetch water, a person to prepare dishes, a person to put ingredients on the dishes, a person to signal that the king's meal is about to start, etc... More than eight people were doing work that would normally require only three people at most. In addition, the housing in which these servants live was expensive, and they were placed in very poor conditions. I feel very sorry for them because they were losing one-third to more than half of their salaries for rent.

They didn't show any motivation under these circumstances, and to put it bluntly, it's a waste of people and money.

Seriously.

And since the job descriptions were so segmented, we have to be very careful that we don't take away other people's jobs.

After integrating the jobs, the number of servants working at the Palace of Versailles will be reduced from 4.000 to 1.000 by the end of the year, and the 3.000 who will be laid off will be compensated for moving expenses, etc., and will be given new jobs led by the state to handle.

However, regarding this, it is essential to note that there would be a fierce backlash if all 3.000 people serving in the palace were to be laid off at once. Therefore, we will gradually reduce the number of employees from 300 to around 500 over the course of a year. The number of employees will be reduced until there is a little extra capacity, so 1.000 is just a rough estimate. It might be around 1.300 to 1.500 people. We will make adjustments and explain the situation to the servants.

We've already secured new jobs, so it will be easier for them to change jobs in stages. We are not taking away their jobs, but making this transfer and reorganization in order to raise their quality and awareness of them. On the other hand, we're going to strengthen the security system and harden the defenses of Versailles and government facilities. We must protect them as hard as an ironclad defense. The Princesse de Lamballe, who was looking at the proposed reforms, asked me a question.

"My Lord, what exactly are you going to do about the third reform, which is to abolish serfdom?"

"The serfs are forbidden to move freely from one place to another, or to change jobs. So I am going to push the idea of letting the move to where they want to live and work for themselves."

"...But won't that cause a backlash from the nobility and clergy who employ many serfs and hold manors?"

"Of course, in return for abolishing serfdom, the landowners of business establishments will be given preferential treatment for up to two years after the reform takes effect, such as compensation for peasants who wish to move to other lands and tax exemption during the transition period. After that... if the landowner cannot adequately manage the land as a business establishment, the state will buy the land and offer it to the peasants at a lower price."

Also, serfdom, which was still a part of the feudal system, will be abolished as soon as possible. The serfdom had many restrictions, such as the fact that a person born a serf had to live in the land where they were born for a long time, and education remained inadequate, as people could not even read or write.

Since the government wanted to raise the nation's power level by using industries that required steam engines, it wanted to remove these barriers immediately. Therefore, they publicly announced their intention to abolish serfdom and quickly put it into action. Or rather, we will do it.

For landowners who run manors under the feudal system, we will do so as business establishments. They can hire peasants, but they will be paid a wage firmly set by the state according to their productivity, and if they wish to change jobs or move to a new place, they will not be allowed to interfere with these.

Peasants, who are distinguished as serfs, or impoverished people, were treated more miserably in Europe than in Japan. So this is a drastic step to solve such problems.

Of course, we also plan to introduce legislation to prohibit them from collecting more taxes than the government has set aside for them, as they have been collecting taxes as they please. Unlike Japan's postwar agrarian reform system implemented by GHQ, landowners who are allowed to own large tracts of land may still be lukewarm, but if they use their power to coerce peasants, etc., police investigations will be conducted and the land may be confiscated. Once the land has become a business establishment, even if it is owned by a noble or a clergyman, arrogant and lax management is unacceptable.

Peasants also work as employees of the business, but they are allowed to emigrate or change their occupation at their own will. However, there is a high risk of failure if those who have no know-how or knowledge other than farming are suddenly accepted. Therefore, three schools similar to vocational training schools are scheduled to open this year in Paris and other cities to help former serfs and peasants smoothly change their jobs.

"In the future, not only agriculture and manual commerce and industry, but also industrial industry, which makes extensive use of machinery, will become more and more active. In such a time, it will be necessary to secure intellectuals and technicians. For this reason, the cooperation of the Jews will be indispensable."

"This is what is necessary for France to keep up with the rest of the world when we enter the age of industrial civilization that Lord Auguste mentioned earlier..."

"That's right, Antoinette. Many of them have amassed enormous wealth, and many of them are very diligent in their studies. That's how well-educated they are. That's why I'm trying to incorporate what is good about them, regardless of ethnic barriers."

The first step toward abolishing serfdom is a decree of tolerance for Jews. Without it, Josef would not have helped establish the Department of Land Administration. It forbids the persecution of Jews and protects and authorizes their immigration and citizenship within the country. This alone would make it possible to invite Jewish capital from all over Europe to come to France.

If Jews with ample financial resources would immigrate and promote the country's economy, this alone would improve the economic situation in the country. The improved economic situation will bring back trust in France, which will lead to higher investment and currency value. Besides, they need funds to promote industries.

They would quickly see the utility of this advanced industry. In fantasy novels, it is often portrayed that resources are allocated to the military aspect and combat power, but in my case, I'm going to work first and foremost to restore popular support and the economic situation.

Well... I think I'm doing a very decent job this time since I was reincarnated as the Dauphin. Princesse de Lamballe and Monsieur Josef also support the reform plan, and there may be some modifications or corrections to the long-term reforms.

If there are areas that need improvement, we will make up for them, but it is extremely important to express our intention to carry out the reforms. It is no exaggeration to say that we are now at a critical juncture. In order to live happily with Antoinette and to prevent a revolution like the one that occurred in the original timeline, we will do whatever we can to put things into action.

Up until 20 minutes before the establishment of the Department of Land Administration, I talked about reforms with Antoinette, Princesse de Lamballe, and Monsieur Josef.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(34)

"Department of Land Administration"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is the end of serious matters! From now on, it's all about Antoinette and the lovey-dovey times.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Then I now proclaim the establishment of the Department of Land Administration!"

The establishment ceremony took place quietly. The unveiling was held at the Petit Trianon with only 140 or so Department members recruited by myself, Monsieur Josef, and others to participate in the establishment of the Department. It was a very quiet event.

Ostensibly, it is supposed to manage the census and population statistics. Only a few people know the real face behind the scenes and the true purpose of the establishment.

It is a secret police force that is responsible for espionage, sabotage, diplomatic operations, internal surveillance, arrest of revolutionaries, etc...

In reality, it is a paramilitary organization that plays a role similar to that of the secret police. It is also a domestic-only counterintelligence organization. It is an organization similar to the Special Higher Police of prewar Japan. The need to create a solid counterintelligence organization can be understood by knowing the circumstances that led to the outbreak of the French Revolution.

At the time of the French Revolution, the situation in France was deteriorating to such an extent that it can be summed up in one word: the worst. The economy was in shambles. In addition, the eruption of Mounts Laki and Asama caused cold weather in the northern hemisphere, resulting in chronic food shortages that lasted for several years.

Louis XVI did not just sit idly by. In the economic field, he tried to revive the economy by appointing Jacques Turgot, an agriculturalist, and Jacques Necker, a commoner but a very successful banker, as his treasurer. From 1785 to 1789, he made political decisions that were quite enlightened for the time, such as the decree of tolerance for Jews and the emancipation of serfs.

...If you have heard this much, you would think that Louis XVI was doing his best. Yes, he did his best. In the history books and cartoons of a long time ago, he was written in a bad light and treated as incompetent, but he was not!!! He was trying to rebuild the country in his own way.

...HOWEVER!

His efforts were not rewarded and he died at the hands of the revolution. It was mainly the selfish and self-serving nobles and clergy who dragged him down and contributed to Louis XVI's execution on the decapitation table.

As a typical example, Jacques Necker encouraged Louis XVI and Antoinette to be frugal, and promoted the fundamental restructuring of their finances, but Antoinette was dissatisfied with the rather strict frugality rules issued to her, and the nobles who took advantage of this were forced to resign one after another due to their fierce rebellion.

Furthermore, when Jacques Turgot, a heavy agriculturalist, attempted to liberalize agriculture, the following year a bad wheat crop occurred due to climate change, exposing the fragile nature of heavy agriculturalism, and the nobility had a hand in forcing him to resign.

And to top it all off, when the three national congresses were held to discuss taxation of the nobility and clergy in order to secure the country's financial resources, they raised fierce opposition, which infuriated the commoners, the majority of whom were classified as the third class.

What is the point of having a high income and living a rich life and not paying taxes? Are the upper class allowed tax-free privileges? They were so proud of their upper-class status that they launched into a series of harsh epithets against the commoner members of congress.

"I am an aristocrat, not you third-class commoners. I don't give a damn what happens to you incompetent commoners who are in debt."

"I'm a clergyman, but if I lose my tax-exempt status, I won't be able to manage my manor well, so I refuse."

"Hee, hoo, hee, hoo, hahahahahaha, these third-class commoners are saying utter horseshit, hahahahaha."

...And so on.

Even though the French economy was on the verge of bankruptcy because it could not repay its debts, the majority of the nobility and clergy refused to pay taxes beyond their self-centeredness, status, and honor, resulting in an outburst of discontent among the commoners, and the revolution was the result of a major breakthrough by the revolutionaries following the storming of the Bastille...

Damn those nobles and clergymen!!!

...And don't just cut them off here.

Of course, some of the nobility and clergy recognized the need to collect taxes due to the worsening economic situation. And there were more than a few nobles and clergy who recognized the need to collect taxes due to the worsening economic situation. And there were more than a few nobles and clergy who took the Tennis Court Oath a month before the revolution.

And then there was literally a revolution, and the king was executed, but that didn't solve everything. I know that when the French Revolution broke out, the only people who supported the revolution were in the cities, with the peasants in the countryside were not that supportive of the revolutionary movement. The rural peasants did not support the revolution to the same extent. For them, tomorrow's food and agricultural work were more important than the revolutionary upheaval in the cities.

And they had deep ties to Christianity... especially Catholicism.

The revolutionary government that came to power tried to forcibly conscript men from the peasantry to join the revolutionary war, and the church reacted violently, leading to rebellions in many places. The war in the Vendée was also sparked by opposition to the brutal methods of the revolutionary government. The revolutionaries, enraged by this, regarded the church and the rebelling peasants as heretics and massacred them in various parts of the country.

Particularly horrific was the violence perpetrated by the people who took the revolutionary government's ideas to heart. They not only killed clergy and set fire to buildings, but also justified the burning of valuable cultural properties. The revolutionary government even wondered if they were barbarians.

In addition, these radical revolutionaries labeled the church as counter-revolutionary and promoted cultural destruction. The hunt for counterrevolutionaries resulted in the loss of many valuable French documents from the medieval European period, which is the worst situation from a historical point of view.

As was the case in countries where later communist revolutions took place, when revolutions break out, large numbers of intellectuals tend to die and things of cultural value tend to be demolished. The history books I learned in middle and high schools say that the French Revolution was a great act of liberation from the oppressors! It was really great! But in reality, it was also a terrible time of purges of dissenters and the destruction of religious culture. I guess it's clear to see that revolutions suck.

That's why I do my best to prevent it from happening. France was at its peak under Napoleon's leadership, but after that, it fell downhill. Without stopping the revolution, France was basically doomed to be stomped by Germany in the years to come.

In the Franco-Prussian War, France was defeated by Prussia (later the German Empire).

In the First World War, France was almost on the verge of losing Paris, and the ratio of the population was so bad because of the death of the young generation, and under the optimism at the beginning of the Second World War that Germany would not come at them if they built the Maginot Line, Paris would quickly fell and surrendered via a road bump (Belgium)...

And in recent years, as a result of accepting refugees, terrorism and crimes by extremists have become so rampant and visible that the situation has become so unstable that far-right political parties have made great strides!!!

This is terrible!

So, we will take the necessary steps to prevent this from happening to France in the future. I want to implement reforms quickly and make France prosperous. Of course, it is also important to make sure that the laws and regulations that accompany the reforms are also well-developed. Personally, I think it would be good for France to go through the process of transitioning to a constitutional monarchy like that of the United Kingdom and Japan.

However, such a transition process would take a long time, and there is a danger that revolutionaries would take advantage of the process and move to overthrow the system. Hmm, it's hard to decide whether it is good or bad...

After the founding ceremony, the path of the future goal was about to be set.

"Lord Auguste, isn't it about time for lunch?" Antoinette asked me.

I realized that it was already around one o'clock in the afternoon.

Wow! Time has moved on quite a bit!!!

No wonder I'm getting hungry.

Well, let's stop the hard talk for a moment. Now I'm going to enjoy my meal with Antoinette!!!

This was the moment when the switch between work and private life was activated in my mind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reference: "How to Read "French History" as a Cultivation"

Publisher: PHP Research Institute Co.

Author: Norihiko Fukui

First published: October 8, 2019

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(35)

"Chocolate is a Drink"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is my first post because I can't forget the weight of 4 kilograms of commercial chocolate that a woman I used to date gave me for Valentine's Day. By the way, I ate the chocolate over the course of a month.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is an area surrounded by well-maintained grass and trees within a 3-minute walk from the Petit Trianon. This area is probably the area where the Temple of Love stood...

But it is 1770 now, so the Temple of Love wasn't there yet. It must have been built around 1778, a few years after Antoinette was granted the Petit Trianon by Louis XVI. Even so, this area was still thoroughly maintained by the gardener's craftsmen. Let's have lunch around here today.

"It's been a while since we've had good weather, and I'm glad it's sunny today."

"Yes. I guess lunch should be ready by now, so let's relax and take in the scenery until then."

"Sure!"

I placed a big cloth on the lawn and sat on it. It's nice to feel the soft texture of the grass, rather than the hard concrete. Recently, there have been many rainy or cloudy days. It was said that it was not a cool summer, but even so, there were days when it felt a little chilly for July. But today it seemed to be as sunny as in that month, and the temperature was rising rapidly under the sun. So I put down my umbrella and lay down on the grass.

"I'm finally getting a break from all this, Antoinette... It's harder than I thought it would be..."

"Thanks to you, Lord Auguste, the mess has been cleared up. Besides, the Princesse de Lamballe whom I met today is a wonderful person."

"Yes. Princesse de Lamballe is famous for her integrity. I'm sure she'll support you well."

"I am thinking of having dinner with her the next time I see her."

"That's nice! She has some plans for today that she can't miss, so I've been holding off, but maybe we can do that next time at lunch."

I invited Princesse de Lamballe to join us for dinner, but she turned us down softly.

"I will not be eating today because I want to get my stomach in order," she said, looking apologetic. In fact, it seemed that she was trying not to disturb me and Antoinette's intimate meal.

So from now on, if I invite Antoinette along with me, she will come.

I don't have any big plans for the rest of the day. It has been a long time since we have been together, and I was so happy that I could finish my work thanks to their kindness. Therefore, I am enjoying the feeling of freedom after work is over.

'The summer air is soooo good... the smell of the lawn is so refreshing!'

It feels good to lie down on the lawn (or more precisely, on the cloth). It gets quite hot in the summer, but unlike asphalt paved areas, the sunlight does not reflect off the grass and the grass absorbs the heat from the sun, so it is only moderately hot on the grass. In addition, the sunshade umbrella warmed my body and made me feel good.

In addition, Antoinette was lying down next to me with me! This is a privilege that only the Dauphin can enjoy! Ooh, her presence is so soothing!

I feel like my energy is going through the roof.

...There was a nice scent of something appetizing there.

A food server brought a covered plate, and behind him was someone with a mini table.

"The wait is over, My Lord, My Lady, lunch is served."

The cook was busy bringing us a simple lunch menu. It consisted of cucumbers, tomatoes, and boiled corn on the cob topped with steamed chicken and seasoned with a vinaigrette sauce made from a mixture of vinegar and oil. The sauce was sour and, above all, it was a wonderful use of summer vegetables.

"Oh my! That's my kind of chicken!"

"It's around the breast, it's light, so I think it's easy to eat."

"And it's got lots of vegetables, too, so it looks great!"

Plates and the mini-table on the cloth, forks and knives, and lunch was ready. Still, this is the time of year when people are prone to summer fatigue. The attendant fetched me a drink with high nutritional value for such a time of year. It was this chocolat!

Chocolat means chocolate in French, but in the 18th century, it was drunk as a liquid.

The price of cacao was quite high in those days because things were not readily available. The most important factor was the concentration of cacao. In this era, people call it chocolat, chocolat, chocolat, but from now on, I dare to call it cocoa in the language I know. This cocoa... is a very solid substance.

It's already really thick!! It's sweet and thick at the same time!! It looks like they still add milk to it, but it's still thick!! It's so thick that if you try to mix it with a fork, the fork sticks through it.

When I first saw it, it was so thick that I almost spewed in front of Antoinette. It was so thick that I suspected that they used 10 tablespoons of powdered cocoa powder, which contains a lot of sugar, in this one cup.

Well, I think I would drink this chocolat after a meal. In this period, it was drunk mainly by aristocrats and wealthy commoners, just like taking stomach medicine after finishing a meal. It has nutritional value, and above all, black chocolate, which contains no sugar, seems to be able to suppress cholesterol levels. It is not wrong that it was described as a medicine.

"Do you like chocolates, Antoinette?"

"Yes!! I hear that drinking chocolat keeps you from getting sick, so I drink it every day!!"

"That's right, it seems that chocolat is good for your health if you use less sugar and butter oil in it."

"Is that so!? But if it's too bitter, it's going to be hard to dilute it with milk..."

"Sure, but it's better than sugar if you drink it slowly and dilute it with milk."

While looking sideways at the chocolat that was becoming so concentrated, Antoinette and I decided to eat the steamed chicken with summer vegetables seasoned with vinaigrette sauce.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

References

"What Did Marie Antoinette Eat: Table and Life in Versailles"

Author: Pierre-Yves Beaurepaire

Translator: Da Costa Hanako Yoshimura

Publisher: Hara Shobō

1st Printing June 21, 2019

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(36)

"Towards Tomorrow"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I used a fork and knife to cut the chicken before eating it. Although it was steamed and the meat was soft, it was still difficult to cut without a knife. It would be unbecoming to stab the chicken directly with a fork, so I didn't do it.

I tried the chicken, which was light and white, with the vinaigrette sauce. The sourness and oil match the chicken and it's tasty!

"Mmm!!! It brought out the chicken's flavor!!!"

"Yes, it's lightly seasoned and delicious!"

Just continuing to cut slowly along the chicken fibers was fun with Antoinette. Steamed chicken seasoned with vinaigrette sauce using a knife and fork is pretty tasty. You know that salad chicken that was often sold in modern convenience stores and such, right? It's like eating that with dressing.

Chicken eaten under the open sky is the best. I was Japanese before my reincarnation, and I really wanted to eat white rice. With this chicken, I could easily eat a bowl of rice. In France, there is only Western food, mainly bread made from wheat, so I miss Japanese food.

Soba and udon... cold barley and ramen noodles... ugh, I miss those too when I remember them! And it's all noodles...

Eliminate noodles... no, wait, I think pasta is available in Italy, so if I want the cook to serve it, they will do it. Well, let's compromise with pasta for a while!

After finishing half of the chicken, it was time to put the vegetables into my stomach. Normally, it was said that eating vegetables first can reduce high blood sugar and uric acid levels, but on days like this, I find myself craving my favorite foods first. Freshly picked cucumbers and tomatoes were fresh, with their firm flesh that goes well with the sauce.

"Well then... let's have some of these vegetables...!"

I popped the tomato into my mouth first, its flavor seeping through the slice. The sauce had a nice acidity that brought up the vegetables even more. The same went for the cucumbers.

"Ah, it's so crispy and tasty, just like summer vegetables!"

"That's right! It's delicious with just the right amount of sourness!"

As I chewed the cucumber in my mouth, the acidity and freshness combined to make a crunchy sound. This is delicious!

It's a one-dish meal, but that might be a good way to prevent summer fatigue. And, the corn seemed to be less sweet than I thought it would be...

I'm sure Antoinette will be fine since she eats her vegetables. I've been told that she didn't like them, preferring meat cooked rare and undercooked. She was traumatized by a piece of rabbit meat that was served at a dinner when she was a child and it was cooked to the point that it was almost bloody.

But I think it's great that she ate well. There are people in the world who eat only vegetables, but it is said that tissue cells such as muscles are prone to anemia and other health problems unless they eat a diet rich in protein such as meat and fish. It is important to eat vegetables and meat in good balance.

Suddenly, one uncomfortable feeling arose when eating vegetables here.

'Huh? This corn... it's less tasty than I thought it would be?'

Maybe because the breeding has not been that advanced, I felt that it had less flavor compared to modern corn. Well, if I say so, watermelons of this era will be the same, with less fruit, thicker rind, and spiral-shaped seeds.

So, it's not possible to bring out the best flavor without breeding... There is a history of rapid advances in breeding due to the development of technology...

So, to bring the taste of this kind of corn closer to its modern counterpart, we still need to improve our scientific capabilities. I am not a biology expert, but there are scientists who are studying plants in this era, and I would like to ask them to raise research funds to improve the taste and produce varieties that are resistant to cold damage and insect pests.

"Thank you very much for the food, and now let's savor the chocolates after meal."

"Yes!"

To the casual observer, it might seem like an ordinary royal meal. For me, too, it's an ordinary life with Antoinette, and being able to such an ordinary life is a blessing in itself.

"I cherish these moments..."

"Yes... Lord Auguste, I am sure you will be able to reform France! I will do my best to help!"

"Thank you, Antoinette... then, let's keep up the good work!"

"That's right! Let's work together!!"

The reforms will make us even busier, and above all, there may be a backlash from the great nobility and clergy. We may not be able to spend an elegant time like this. I want to protect Antoinette's smile. So I'll do my best to reform so I can stay with Antoinette and make her happy.

By the way, the bitter taste of this chocolate mixed with sweetness of sugar and milk was amazing. As I drank it, I spent a small after-meal moment with Antoinette, savoring the natural bitterness of the messy chocolate diluted with milk.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(37)

"Palace Reform"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is my first post as the BGM while working may be classical music or 80's western or Japanese music.

★ ★ ★

September 1, 1770

This was the historic day of the "Great Personnel Reorganization of Versailles" and the "Decree of Toleration for the Jewish People" promulgated on August 12, under the leadership of Louis Auguste. Newspapers praised his proactive approach to solving problems since the Red Rain Incident and even Christians tended to accept the Tolerance Decree, except for the staunch conservatives, on the grounds that it was intended to stimulate the still-slumping economy.

By the end of the year, Auguste had also promulgated a decree abolishing serfdom (to be enforced by 1773 after consultation) and increasing penalties for the privileged classes for criminal acts. The Dauphin's attitude of seriously trying to improve France would be immensely popular among the third-class commoners.

Especially in the south and west of France, where there were many reformist Protestant adherents, politicians belonging to the reformists... mainly those of the third class in local assemblies, would support Auguste's reforms. Moreover, the proclamations were published not only in Versailles and Paris, but also in the provinces, and most of those who saw the proclamations praised the Dauphin and even swore allegiance to Auguste.

Another change that has been taking place in France recently is that young couples and others are now having picnics. Eating simple snacks in the open air has become fashionable, as Auguste and Madame Antoinette ate in the garden of the Palace of Versailles while showing their friendship.

Despite being in their mid-teens, their passionate love affair was well-known inside and outside Versailles. It was becoming a boom for them to go to the sections of the palace that were open to the public and to vantage points on the outskirts of Paris to enjoy their lunches.

The Jewish community in France was also full of support for Auguste. The news was spreading to the Jewish communities scattered throughout Europe, and the wealthy among the Jews were beginning to invest in France in stages.

Meanwhile, in downtown Versailles, off-duty servants were relaxing in the Tentation Sorbet tavern during the day. The major reorganization of the palace, which went into effect today, meant that the number of servants was to be reduced step by step. Still, they were discussing information about their respective employment opportunities when the Dauphin arranged their next place of employment and the state would pay all their moving expenses.

"...I see, you're going to Paris."

"Yeah, I'm going to serve at the Tuileries Palace starting in December. The only ones left in our group are Elise and Marco. It seems that the number of jobs is going to be phased out, and the job descriptions are going to change drastically."

"Instead of consolidating the existing jobs, they are going to raise wages and other costs significantly. The more work they have to do, the more efficient they are going to be."

"I see... but it's certainly hard to have only one job, holding water all day long or serving bread and food."

In order not to confuse the servants, Auguste distributed papers explaining the gradual reduction of the number of servants at Versailles. The paper explained that the number of servants was so large that Versailles was losing money and that he planned to reduce the number of servants to around 1.3000, the number needed to run the palace, by 1775.

More than 2.500 employees would leave Versailles within a few years, and the reduction would be phased in as soon as the overhaul and reorganization were completed. Those whose duties were too simple were to be integrated across the board. Catering and pitcher attendants were merged... Candle holders, window washers, and lawn mowers became the Facilities Maintenance Section. The cooks in the kitchen and those who bought food were integrated into the Culinary Section.

Each section has more than 1.000 employees. Some sections have around 20 to as many as 150 employees. The most numerous sections were assigned numbers, and the government bought a building near the Palace of Versailles and set it up as an office.

Auguste also highlighted the work-optional enrichment to motivate the servants. The lowest-paid employees were often subjected to harassment by their bosses and exorbitant rent from the landlords they lived and worked for. So Auguste announced that as of August 29, he would buy apartments around the Palace of Versailles and several hotels in the neighborhood and turn them into private quarters for his employees.

"It breaks my heart that the majority of the servants who support us live and work in such poor conditions. They work so hard at the palace, and we need to raise their standard of living and greatly improve the quality of their work."

When the news reached the servants, they wept and praised Auguste. The servants, who had been paying exorbitant rents under poor conditions, now knew that the Dauphin's reforms were serious and not lies. Furthermore, those who had to leave due to cutbacks were offered severance pay and a new job, and the government would even pay for all their moving expenses. Auguste was the star of hope for the servants, and none of them had anything bad to say about him, even those who were leaving.

"The Dauphin thinks well of us. The cutbacks were probably unavoidable. But he is merciful enough to provide us with severance pay, relocation expenses, and even help us find new employment."

"Yeah, you'll do well at the Tuileries, too."

"You too. Let's have the usual toast!"

"Yeah!"

"""For the Dauphin!!!!"""

Those in the Tentation Sorbet were looking forward to Auguste's reforms. Here, the servants were in high spirits and hopeful at the promise.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do you have any song recommendations?

For me personally, I like 'Call Me' by Go West. I often listen to it on loops because it lightens my mood.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(38)

"Negligee"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is my first post because Antoinette will be distributed in a certain game.

☆ ☆ ☆

Hug.

That one word is so good, really. Once you experience it, you'll understand the stability. Skin to skin, feeling the warmth of each other's body from the distance. Once you've experienced it, you can't stop it!!!

It's irresistible!!!

Right now, Antoinette and I were embracing each other, where I gently held the girl in front of me. Of course, I'm wearing clothes. If I wasn't wearing them, I might have been erased by some mysterious pressure!

She's wearing light clothes, but... this is a negligee, which is a one-piece nightgown. It's not that see-through, but still... there's something about embracing a woman wearing a negligee that makes me feel a tug at my heartstrings as a man!!! It makes me feel all giddy!

We've been busy lately and haven't had time to sleep together in bed, so we decided to sleep together for the first time in a while. Antoinette was really happy about it...

It seemed like she washed her body thoroughly in the bath. I, too, take a bath every day and keep my body clean. Since I started taking baths, I feel like the body odor of people passing by in the palace has slightly decreased.

Maybe it's because I've been promoting the benefits of taking a bath to everyone around me? Recently, it seems that more and more wealthy people are buying bathtubs. Let's take this opportunity to think positively and maintain a hygienic environment!

Speaking of baths... I want to try a hot spring, too...

Wait.

There were natural hot springs in France, too, right? I think there was a rather famous hot spring in France called... Enghien-les-Bains in the suburbs of Paris, right?

Since hot water has already been discovered in this era, it may be possible to find it if we investigate. If there is a hot spring, we can also try hot spring therapy and it can become a source of income! Oh, I've discovered one more resource that can be secured as a source of income!!!

Enough about hot springs... Antoinette is so cute wearing a negligee to bed. I don't know how to describe it... but she still has a little girl-like feeling. She's turning 15 soon and entering the growth period of her body. Naturally, that means she's getting closer to adulthood.

Since she first came to Versailles, her body has gradually but surely changed into that of an adult woman. From 14 to 16 years old, the growth period of the body is significant. It's the same for me. At 15... my body will continue to grow rapidly, and I may have to have a child with Antoinette for the sake of succession.

Still, I...

I've never had sexual intercourse with a woman!!!

Even before I was reincarnated, I had never dated a woman. Just holding her like this makes my heart beat faster. If it were to go any further... I would be over the moon!

When I spoke to Louis XV about it, I was teased, "You still have a childish side to you," with a laugh. Well, I wanted to say that you're exempt from the standard because your sex drive is incredible. And considering her body, I think it's better to wait until she's around 18 and can safely bear a child.

And if you think you can have sex right away like in erotic novels or games, you're completely wrong. Not only men, but women also tend to be nervous before sex. Louix XV said that the key is to relax this tension. As expected from Louis the Beloved, his advice on such matters was very informative.

"Listen, Auguste, if you ever have a chance to make love to Madame Antoinette, don't forget to take care of her. Otherwise, no matter how much she loves you, if you don't take care of her, she'll become anxious."

"Is taking care of her about consideration?"

"That too, but... it's good to ease the tension before starting such acts. Most women will accept it if you do so. And after the act, you mustn't forget to praise the woman."

"Praise her...?"

"Yes, you have to hug her gently, and say things like 'Thank you' or 'Did it hurt?' in her ear. Otherwise, she'll only be left with doubt."

King Louis XV, the Beloved.

His advice on such matters was really accurate and detailed. I wish he had put that effort into politics and economics... if he had, I wouldn't have had to go through so much trouble...

But being with Antoinette is a good thing. Come to think of it, it's a plus for me. Yes.

While thinking about such things, I embraced Antoinette. She fell asleep in my arms. There's no need to wake her up forcibly. I might as well sleep again like this, feeling her scent and the texture of her skin. It's only about 04:00 in the morning.

The wake-up call will sound at 8. It's better for the two of us to sleep alone like this until then. I hugged Antoinette gently again and fell asleep once more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I chose Madame Antoinette because I think love is the only way to raise her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(39)

"Unfulfilled Desire"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

.........

I am currently feeling Lord Auguste's heartbeat.

It's beating fast... I can hear the sound of his heart.

Only Lord Auguste embraces me like this all the time.

It's warm... and yet, it makes me feel like I want someone so badly, as if his passionate heartbeat is reaching deep inside my heart.

When I first met him, I thought he was a somewhat eccentric person, but as we talked, I realized that Lord Auguste was thinking about the people of France. I was well aware that the economic situation in France was bad, but Lord Auguste said that he wanted to improve all of these things.

Like an oriental proverb "a frog in a well knows nothing of the great ocean," I realized this after talking to Lord Auguste. I was the immature one... I was so reluctant to leave Austria over the engagement. I was feeling down and upset, and it felt like I was going down a gentle curve with no end.

Then, I wanted to be happy.

When he offered to lend me a hand, the tension in my heart dissipated instantly. My pent-up emotions turned into tears and Lord Auguste hugged me, catching those tears. Oh, how warm it was.

I felt a warmth like that of a mother's embrace.

From then on, I swore to devote myself to Lord Auguste. I was immature, yet selfish, and I gradually made an effort to improve myself. Lord Auguste seemed to understand that, and he started studying with me. Even though I couldn't concentrate on my studies when I was in Vienna, I was able to understand everything just by learning with him! I even wrote about it in the letter I sent to my mother.

Furthermore, Lord Auguste made me lunch, and when we ate together in the gardens of the Palace of Versailles under the pretext of having a picnic, I felt an unusual clarity in my heart. His dishes are mostly simple, but he makes a lot of delicious food that is simple yet tasty. I heard that he is currently learning how to cook from the King himself.

Lord Auguste is the only man who can make me feel so wonderful just by being with him. My spirits rise just by being with him. Even the temptation of new dresses and glamorous jewels cannot compete with Lord Auguste. I want to be with him forever... my heart has been filled with Lord Auguste.

Even Madame du Barry, whom I disliked so much before marrying, improved my impression of her thanks to his explanations. However, it was disappointing that I didn't get to talk to her much. If she were still alive, she might have been able to teach me many things.

Lord Auguste always greets everyone. Not only me but also the attendants, maids, and even the lowliest of people receive his greetings. Even with people who he might not normally pay attention to, Lord Auguste willingly approaches them and speaks to them. I once asked him why he does this.

"It's because someone in a position of authority needs to manage their subordinates well. Even if they're not directly under me, it's painful to see someone suffer or be sad while working... thus I decide to approach them."

Lord Auguste's belief is that even if someone isn't his direct subordinate, he can gauge their overall state through their reports, actions, and behavior. Thanks to his friendly approach, he is highly regarded at the palace. I can sense that it is the accumulation of these small actions that showcases Lord Auguste's wonderful personality.

Today as well...

I embraced Lord Auguste as I slept with him. He had never attempted to do more than embrace me. He has said that one should mature physically around 18 years of age. Thus, for at least another three years... there is nothing more that can be done, which is a shame.

However, there are times when my body craves it. I understand this myself.

Lord Auguste explained to me, citing a medical book published by the French Academy just last year, that premature sexual activity may result in stillbirth or the baby dying shortly after birth due to immaturity.

"Antoinette... you might feel many things due to unfulfilled desires. Would you tell me anything that's on your mind, no matter how trivial it may be?"

"Feelings...?"

"Yes, we may have become a couple despite being young. But we are not yet fully mature as human beings. We will reach physical maturity in three years at least. At that time, I want to make love to you for the first time."

"So, when I turn 18... you will make me..."

"Yes. Can you wait until then? When you turn 18, I will fulfill your duties as your husband and we will become a true married couple."

Duties...

I may be able to fulfill that role when I turn 18. I am still immature. However, I want to be of service to Lord Auguste. I plan to become a bridge of friendship between France and my homeland of Austria.

Until we have children... I will continue to feel our distance shrink as we embrace like this. Combining Lord Auguste's kindness and thoughts, I peacefully welcome the morning in his warm embrace today as well.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

724 70 5
What if Tang San wasn't the only one who reincarnated into the Douluo Dalu continent? What if Tang San had a childhood friend whom he loved? What if...
16.5K 1.1K 37
10,000 years changed the soul land in a new direction. After the collision of the Douluo Continent and Sun Moon Continent, a new era has begun. 10.0...
263K 10K 29
"The Catalyst Curse. One born and bred from an explosion of unprecedented emotion, thousands of years ago. Several Jujutsu Sorcerers tried exorcising...
2.9K 115 15
What would Philomel do if she suddenly remembered all, her past life, the book who was telling her future and her magic? Will she sit back with all t...