Bungo Stray Dogs: Tokyo

By s0ftp0p

What started out as a cliche distant lovers meeting turned out to be a gruesome discovery of a treasure trove... More

Author's Note (A/N)
Lover From Another City
Through Muds and Floods
Bloody Oath
Dark Apologetic Flowers
Unwanted Despair
Horror and Voyages
Overalls
A Three Month Notice Man
Introduction Lessons
A Sour Reminder Of The Past
Flowery Precautions
One Must Be Careful When Picking A Sidekick
Chuuya meets Fumiya!
A Memorial Badge
Bashfulness Is a Defense Mechanism
Incosistent Waves Of Youth
Lolita
Two Brains Are Better Than One
Cremated Trust
Invisible Threats
Pride And Prejudice
The Incurable Disease Called Woe
Please Share This Meal With Me
First Big Mission
Port Mafia
To Kill A Mocking Bird
City And Village Rain
If Only You Could See It
The Reflection Of A Liability
A Drunk Walk Home
Common Denominator
Idleness Is A Vice
An Auction Of Pride
The Picture of Dorian Gray
Bickering Duo
Bordeaux
A Sempiternal Soul
20 Million Trigger
Chuuya And Harper Day Out
Leo Tolstoy's Guide To Peace
Youths Are Reckless
The Opening
Stories of The Count Of Monte Cristo pt 1
Stories of The Count Of Monte Cristo pt 2
Stories of The Count Of Monte Cristo pt 3
The Cynical One
Contemporary Schemers
Bohemian Rhapsody
A Snake's Head
The Greatest Fool
War And Peace
The Jeweller
Murakami & Atsushi
The Armed Port Detective Agency/Mafia
Snow In Spring
Intervention
Childish Games
The 7th
That's Not How Bones Do It
Dazai, Chuuya, 16
BOOM
Comical Liar
It Takes One To Know One
My Reverence
IQ84
Colourless Murakami
After Dark
9pm
Anger
Chimera
Ms Fortune
Connection
Death In A Getaway Car
Harold Pinter's Sorrows
The Indomitable Human Spirit
Forfeit

Midnight Chocolate

17 1 0
By s0ftp0p

25th December
Narrator POV

These events take place on the night the ADA arrived in Tokyo to surprise Tekkan

"Ranpo-san, where are you hurrying to so late into the night?" Kenji yawned while stretching his arms.

It was a rainy night, the ADA had just arrived in Tokyo and were settling into their rooms.

"I'm craving Belgium chocolate. There's a store across the street that's opened 24 hours," Ranpo pouted.

"Are you sure you know how to get there?" Tanizaki laughed.

Ranpo puffed his cheeks, "I should be fine!" With that, he shut the room door closed.

Level 1

Just as expected, Ranpo saw Dazai in the hotel lobby, with his headphones on. He was lying on the armchair and bobbing his head to a song(probably one about suicide). He seemed to be waiting for somebody, perhaps him?

"Are you waiting for someone?" Ranpo asked.

Dazai opened his eyes and put down his headphones.

"Yes, you actually."
-
"Look at the variety of chocolates!" Ranpo drooled while pointing to a green-coloured one. He had a plastic bag filled with treats in his arm.

Dazai stared at the man pensively but with a gentle smile on his face. Ranpo was selectively picking up chocolate wrapped in a variety of colours. There was no such store in Yokohama. This was a novelty.

"Ranpo-san, you wanted to come to Tokyo not for Tekkan right?" Dazai muttered, getting straight to the point.

There were only them and the cashier in the store.

"Quite frankly I don't think Tekkan-san and Yosano-san will last very long but it's best to humour her on this one. I came here to accept a job request," Ranpo replied.

"I had a hunch."

Both of them walked towards the cashier.

"Would this be all?" The young boy in front of him smiled.

He wore a blue apron and crumpled white T shirt underneath.

"Yes!" Ranpo exclaimed while taking out his wallet.

Dazai's eyes focused on his name tag. Tsukuru Tazaki. He seemed like a young man, a year younger than Atsushi probably. He had dirty brown hair and blue eyes—nothing bizarre about him except he's probably overworked and underpaid. Though, his eyes were so empty but there were countless of rumours teasing that the people of Tokyo had soulless eyes because of how bad the work culture was.

"Here's your change."

"I gave you exact tho?" Ranpo asked as the boy held Ranpo's hand.

However, the boy didn't seem to be carrying any cash in his hand.

"Nice to meet you, the greatest detective Yokohama has ever seen," The boy whispered, not letting go of Ranpo's hand.

"I'm here on a job."

"Are you the one who sent the request?" Dazai questioned.

Dazai glanced at the boy's hand and swiftly placed his hands on top of the boy's and Ranpo's—nullifying any ability the boy might have.

The boy shot them a serious look, a look that suggested that he meant business. The light above them began flickering like one of those cliche movies.

"Tomorrow night, there will be an explosion. Children will die if you do not help. It cannot be prevented but it can be ameliorated."

"An explosion? Where?" Dazai asked.

The boy let go of Ranpo's hand and placed his finger on his lips, "I've taken an oath to never mention the place. However, the man you came here for, tragedy trails him like a snake."

"So we must see Tekkan-san eh?" Ranpo grinned.

The boy nodded, "Goodluck Edogawa Ranpo and Osamu Dazai," he waved his hands, "Thank you for coming, have a goodnight," he said in a louder and more polite voice as he bowed slightly.

-back to the present-

22nd February

"How long are you going to latch on me" Fumiya mumbled with his eyes on a sketchbook.

Dazai leaned on Fumiya's shoulder and purposely pushed him forward, closer to his book.

"As long as I like," Dazai teased lightly.

Fumiya didn't seem annoyed, he seemed contained. Quite frankly, Dazai wants to see him snap, anything for him to see Fumiya use more facial muscles.

Dazai has been not-so-silently observing Fumiya draw. He seems to be colouring flowers found around campus using a crayon. His curriculum was way lighter than everyone else's and when questioned, he simply said it's because he was too dumb and unhealthy to be out for long.

Fumiya immediately got up, making Dazai fall on the floor with a 'thump'.

"I told you, do not touch me. I don't...like it," Fumiya caress his bandaged wrist as if mimicking a certain sensation.

Dazai stared at him in the eye, "Your bandage is coming loose. At least allow me, a prodigy, to help," Dazai said while standing up, towering over the boy.

Fumiya shook his head, "I don't need help, please...go," he muttered.

Fumiya turned around and began walking back to his dorm. Much to his dismay, Dazai obediently followed like an owner following his lost puppy to see whether it knows the way back home.

"What's your ability, huh kid?" Dazai asked while leaning backwards.

Fumiya continued walking without halting.

"I don't have one."

"Then how did you get into this school?"

"I was just a very good fighter."

"Ah, don't you feel like a misplaced puzzle piece?"

"I don't have to feel misplaced if I'm not placed at all," Fumiya halted by his door, "I have work tomorrow morning and I'm having a terrible headache, I'm going to sleep. You should return home," Fumiya tried to slowly push the door closed but Dazai held it open with his arm.

"What are you working as?"

"A barista..," Fumiya mumbled.

"Eh? Why are you working?"

The boy gripped onto the door knob, "It's not right...for me to stay here without paying..."

"What are you good at?"

Fumiya pondered for a while before melting back to an emotionless face, "It doesn't matter, Dazai-san, I do not want a job at the ADA."

Dazai tilted his head curiously.

'He finishes my sentence nicely,' Dazai warmly thought.

"At least let me take you out."

Fumiya pursed his lips in some form of annoyance and reluctance. He bite his tongue, he didn't want to reply, he wanted to leave as soon as possible.

"Dazai-san-"

"See you at 10 tomorrow, at the school's entrance. I'll bring you to all the nice places—and also bring extra cash with you. I might not have any," Dazai giggled at the last bit of his sentence.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.7K 938 6
In Yokohama, everyone in the armed detective agency is trying to live normally even when the Port Mafia is after Atsushi. But when a girl from Dazai'...
5.8K 292 27
I of course do not own Bungou stray dogs nor any of the characters, just the storyline! Nor do i own this wonderful art! There are also no manga spoi...
68.8K 4.1K 40
"This is not slay. Not slay at all." Those were the first words I spoke in this unfamiliar environment after getting hit by bus due to running away f...
13.7K 347 12
Atsushi is like a son to Fyodor. Fyodor adopted him on a cold freezing night. Atsushi will be a traitor to the ADA (armed detective agency) and pm a...