Adept in Peril

By Feran_meee

This follows the journey of a courageous teenager who navigates the turbulent waters of bullying and infatuat... More

Chapter I - Tug-of-activities.
Chapter II - School.
Chapter III - Family.
Chapter IV - Reasonable or Dumb.
Chapter V - The beginning or the bomb.
Chapter VI - Perseverance.
Chapter VII - Guilt.
✨Face Claim✨
Chapter IX - The brooding I.
Chapter X - The brooding II.
Chapter XI - A plan or not.
Chapter XII - Homecoming.
Chapter XIII - Dandelions or Waterleaf?
Chapter XIV - Thanksgiving.
Chapter XV - A glimpse.
Chapter XVI - The ride.
Chapter XVII - Uncanny aurora.
Chapter XVIII - Unraveling.

Chapter VIII - An inkling of love.

49 10 1
By Feran_meee

Carlo's POV

I waved Annie good-bye as I closed the door gently.
I silently berated the coach in my head for making me miss such an opportunity.

Why did he even ask me to stay back, I really wanted to walk her back home.

'"Come over here," Mr Dare called out, rudely cutting my train of thoughts.

I walked over to the huge piano in the studio - it took one-fourth of the studio.
I watched as the director ran his fingers over the black and white keys, soft chords played out, the soothing melody filled the air of the small room and enveloped my hearing senses.

"You like her, don't you?" He blurted while still tapping the keys like he said nothing.
He was playing Reckless love.

My eyes widened as my jaw went slack.
I froze like Santa Claus caught dropping gifts.

"L-ike w-ho?" I muttered as I darted my eyes from the music pieces to the standing mics, anywhere but these piercing eyes.

"Don't play dumb, young man," He snapped.

I fiddled with my hoodie cord, Can't this man just mind his business? What has this got to do with him now?
I prayed silently that he just let me go.

He finally struck a final note as he turned to face me, I took a step backward almost hitting the blue-painted wall.

"Well, I'll say this just once, focus on doing what's important now. Do not leave room for distractions." He warned in one breath. I noticed he was tired.

But I don't see any need for him to poke his nose into my business. He even called her a distraction.

"Alright sir, thank you," I mumbled.

"You can go." He gestured towards the door as he turned back.

I dashed out to the street hoping to meet her somehow but I didn't.

I guess she didn't think I'll want to walk with her.
Shuffling through my joggers, I brought out my airpods.
I sighed as I plugged them in, swiping through my playlist to choose a perfect jam.
I proudly identified as a lisztomaniac - a need to listen to music all the time.

I walked down the road a little bit before deciding to order an Uber because I was already drained and exhausted.
When the Ash Toyota Camry ride finally came, I decided to chat Isabella up.

End of Carlo's POV

**************************************
Third Person POV

Annie hurriedly left the house for volleyball's practice.
Throwing on her jersey and scrambling around.

She was so glad that the time had been adjusted to fit her schedule.
Her volleyball's practice now ran through nine in the morning to twelve in the afternoon.
The choir rehearsals with her partner lasted from two pm to four pm.

She even had time to go back home and rest before getting on with the struggle.

"It feels so cringe calling him my partner," Annie soliloquized as she hurriedly wore her Airforce-one sneakers at the door step.

She got up suddenly as she heard her mum call her in a deafening voice.
She stepped in to find her almost at the door,

"Your choir director just sent a text indicating that there will be general rehearsals by 12pm, good luck my love."

"Aah aah nau, okay mom, " Annie grumbled, flailing her hands.
As she glanced at the black adidas watch strapped on her wrist, she immediately waved her mom good-bye as she scurried off.

She decided to call an Uber ride instead of hailing a taxi as she was already late.
Her mind was in a state of confusion as she thought on how to juggle these activities.
She even contemplated quitting one of the activities.

Aside being confused, she was also angry.
She had to make it out of the volleyball court by eleven-thirty because Mr Dare tolerates everything aside lateness but neither did her coach tolerate insolence.

Annie's POV

"Annie, why are you coming by this time," Mr Dare questioned, his eyes demanding a reasonable answer.

My face flushed as everyone stared at me.
Before I could explain, Mr Dare let out a sigh,
"Never mind, I just thank God you're here. Go take your seat,"

I heaved a sigh of relief as I expected worse. I settled down beside Isabella who had an amused face. She gave me a very painful pinch as I sat down.
Before I could revenge, Mr Dare cleared his throat and continued,

"You all are aware that our annual state choir competition is holding this Saturday,"

He looked around to acknowledge our responses and ensure we were following

"Thank God for the short-break this weekend due to the army remembrance day. We would have a full blown rehearsal this Thursday and Friday."

Most of the Choir members grunted and murmured while others sighed.
Isabella scrunched her face up, but let out a laugh when she saw the reaction on my face.
I couldn't even describe my feelings - stress, frustration and everything not good.

He ignored us as he continued,

"We have to be prepared to take up the challenge so I've decided that we should take a twist and change our previous choice of song,"

An uproar began as the choir members began to protest. I even pitched in my own voice, Isabella busied herself with her Instagram feed.

Few seconds into the protest, the treble head, Lilian stood up and argued,
"But sir, we have been practicing the hallelujah chorus for the past few weeks, we can't possibly change it and keep up with time,"

"I've worked with this choir for a long while, I know what you guys are capable of doing, that's not an excuse, please take your seat," Mr Dare wrapped up as his mind was already made up. Everyone let out a uniform noise again.

It was like he saw what we couldn't see. I was just famished and didn't even have the strength to protest or disagree.

He ignored the lot and gave a short prayer, then gave an announcement,

"New copies will be shared by group leaders, Carlo and his partner should see me after rehearsal for their copies."

Partner, just kill me.

Isabella raised her eyebrows I'm a suggestive way as she tickled my sides.
I kept a straight face as people were looking around for 'the partner'.
I would very much like to exchange my best friend for a hot and juicy meatpie.

The thought of the burden I had just taken on suddenly dawned on me as my mood fell again.
How would I manage to learn a new song in this short period of time, cope with all the stress of school and practice.
Our teachers has found it convenient to dump loads of assignment on us for just a two-day break.
Like, can we just be done!

After the rehearsals, I left immediately as I was tired.
As I alighted at the estate gate, I decided to chat Isabella up.
She whispered in my ears during rehearsals that Wale had suggested a breakup and I decided to console her in my little way.
I noticed a new WhatsApp message, I clicked on the picture icon to check the profile.
I came across a name that made my insides melt, ~Carlo

Shocked was an understatement of what I felt but I opened it up.

What is he doing for real? Did he chat me up to ask about my welfare. That just means he cares sha. I giggled on my way home, people were probably staring at me but I cared less.

Did he just use a love emoji? I'm overthinking probably.

Isabella, that chubby pest.
To think that she didn't even give me a hint, I'm so going to kill her.
I can't even get fed up with her.

I arrived at home few minutes later, ran upstairs, had a cold water shower and jumped on my soft bed that I had craved all day.

************************************

"Well, today is the last day of practice.
I brought someone in to coach us for the last time, He would also drop helpful tips.
His name is Group-Captain Adeoye, He was a former volleyball player, one of the best infact," Coach said as he beamed in smiled

I turned to see the new coach, and my eyes tripled in size.

Wait, what?

End of Annie's POV

**********
Hey guys, sorry for the late upload
School has been stressful
A big reveal is coming in the next chapter,sit tight.

Don't forget to drop a comment and vote❤️
What do you think about the new developments?

With love,
Feranmi

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2K 315 23
Problems of a teenage girl become far worse than zits or a perfect appearance when she experiences a tragic event at a very young age, which scars he...
9.8K 1K 12
I was on my own, minding my miserable, meaningless life until he came along. Just like that, he walked majestically into my life as if he owned it. I...
22.7K 3.5K 20
Tomini is faced with the challenges that come with final year of secondary school. Her cold and strict father doesn't make the journey any easier. In...
369 106 42
A young Nigerian-American high school girl, living her life like a normal human, begins to find out that she has a mission to accomplish, in her coun...