Nude Ink

By TheStephanieFlora

Reader has an extremely good talent at painting. She can make any image come to life with her attention to de... More

First Picture: The Nude
Second Picture: Flower for a Hero
Fourth Picture: Eye to Eye
Fifth Picture: Bold
Sixth Picture: Shadows of Lust
Last Picture: The Usual, right?

Third Picture: The Blunder

1.1K 29 26
By TheStephanieFlora

Divination with Trelawney was always a complete bore for me. I could never follow the poor woman's explanations, since she was speaking in such complicated metaphors, that after a while I just decided to give up. Most students saw her as a lunatic, I couldn't say the same- I had no problem with the teacher per se, only her jumbled-up speech was slightly confusing and annoying, that's all. However, her latest prediction to me released a curious unease inside my chest, and since then, I felt prompted to pay a little extra attention to what she was saying. Maybe I can get a bit more information on what she meant behind those words.

'You will commit a mistake, one that is horribly meager, but shall change your whole future nonetheless. If you make the correct choices, that is.' were the words of the slightly looloo lady, and in that moment I just shrugged it off and smiled to her, pretending I was interested. Now, however, things have changed. I got mildly desperate for more details, so I kind of harassed Sybill around a bit for answers, but she dismissed me every time, saying, that was a unique moment of clairvoyance, and she couldn't repeat or continue it, even if she wanted to. The only advice she could give me was to follow my heart in all circumstances, and have courage to speak my mind where I fear words could get me in trouble. Great. I see things so much clearer now, Sybill, thank you.

Somehow, deep down I was worried her prediction was connected to something I liked, that one day I might do an irreversible slip-up and lose a precious thing or someone that brought me happiness. Still, I forced a strong belief on myself every day, that things will turn out just fine, there is no threat looming over my head- I'm just imagining things, and I will continue my regular gray days at Hogwarts in peace, until the day of graduation. Oh, how wrong I was. Nothing could prepare me for what came about two months after Trelawney's prediction.

I'm currently walking down the dungeon hallway, it's a rainy Friday again, (somehow the weather gets worse each day in this period) heading straight to my last class for the week- NEWT potions. Just a few minutes late, which is not a great problem now, considering today is a practical lesson, so Snape will most probably not bite my head off if I enter the classroom a bit tardy. The door creaks as I shimmy my way to the last desk, sending an apologetic look towards Snape, who just narrows his eyes in slight annoyance, but leaves my stealthy form unbothered. My classmates all stand before a cauldron, with their ingredients prepared on their desk.

"Today we are brewing the Essence of Insanity, a potion that induces mental instability, as you all know by now. For obvious reasons we shall not test this brew out once it's finished, but the dead giveaway of a correctly brewed potion will be a vibrant grass green color. Which means, if I see a cauldron with any other hue in it today, that is considered an immediate failure. However, being NEWT students, I hope I shall see no inadequacy from your part." Snape explained placidly, then the order to begin came.

I take my place at the workstation, and start brewing my potion. Since this one is considered fairly easy, because it consists only of two ingredients, I'm pretty sure I can't mess this up. Furthermore, I read in an old book about how I could boost a potion's potential and color with some crushed up moonstone, so maybe this way I can get back a few sympathy points with the bat. As the frog brain is getting sautéed above the fire, I make my way to the large cabinet holding common ingredients. The professor notices my move, and as I take out the big jar with large pieces of shiny blue moonstone, he floats over to my smaller form. Snape was a tall man, taller than me by a head, (this was another thing I adored about him) so as he reaches me at the cabinet, I'm being towered by his shadowy silhouette.

"May I know what are you searching for in there? The ingredients are laid out on your desk, they are hard to miss." he says a bit sarcastically, and I kind of understand his tone, seeing that I'm on a knife's edge with him at the moment. This is exactly what I'm trying to change.

"I-I heard that crushed moonstone will enhance the effect of potions, so I thought it would be a good idea if I made mine a bit better..." I trail of shyly, looking to the side. Snape raises an eyebrow as he eyes the jar in my hand, like I just told him something silly but genius at the same time. He's a bit confused.

"Proceed." he gives me green light with a tranquil tone, caressing my ears with his silky voice in the back of the classroom. My insides shudder at his demeanor, as he turns around and strolls back to his own desk.

After I add the beetle eyes to the concoction, I begin to see the grass green color forming, but before I call my little brewing finished, I crush up the moonstone and sprinkle it all over the surface of the liquid. A little stirring, and I watch as my grass green concoction changes color again, a deep, emerald green spreading all over in my cauldron. I put the fire out with a satisfied grin, and take a seat, pulling a round stool next to the desk. By this time almost all of my colleagues are finished, Snape starts pacing to each of them, a piece of parchment and a quill in his hand. Most students managed to pull the potion off, but Snape being Snape of course, he doesn't give a mark higher than 'Exceeds Expectations' or 'Acceptable' to anyone.

Butterflies are buzzing inside my stomach as the bat arrives to my table, and examines the vibrant but deep emerald green liquid, (with a hint of shimmer because of the moonstone) a stern judging expression all over him. After a few seconds, he lifts his eyes to me with a complete neutral face.

"Congratulations, Miss, you managed to turn your potion into a deadly poison." he says quietly, with no facial expression whatsoever, slightly hovering over my cauldron, bending down, our eyes coming to the same level. The kids are watching me, a worried face on them, the tension Snape can create is sometimes maddening.

"Did I fail?" I ask with a weak voice, starting to lose my confidence, and fearing that I might have messed up my chance to fix things with the potioneer. But his answer dissipates all my worries.

"No, this is still the Essence of Insanity, only now, the consumer will most probably lose his life when the potion wears off. You managed to accidentally invent a completely new effect for an existing potion." he says, straightening up, keeping his aloof eyes on the shimmering concoction. Nerve-wrecking moments pass in silence, the bat's quill is resting just above the paper, ready to pass judgment on my performance, and my fingers start to fumble with each other as I'm awaiting the professor's decision, along with my colleagues. Finally, he speaks up.

"Outstanding." he says curtly, jots down a quick 'O' next to my name, and leaves my table hastily, leaving me at the desk with my jaw on the floor. He never gives 'Outstanding' to anyone! I never got an 'Outstanding' in anything!

The bell rings, but before we can pack up our things, we hear our teacher's command slip into the murmurs of our preparation to leave.

"Each of you will leave your notebook on my desk. I shall grade them during this weekend."

A small groan leaves the mouth of a few, but I don't have any worries, all my assignments are finished and I just got my first Outstanding in seven years! This calls for celebration. On my way out, I reach into my bag and place the flowery notebook on top of the pile, and with a happy smile, I give a respectful nod to my teacher. I plan on going to Hogsmeade for a bit, maybe treat myself to some sweets from Honeydukes. Yes, this is going to be a perfect afternoon.

~*~

Hogsmeade was lovely, I even had a small conversation with one of my roommates, maybe we'll have some kind of friendship blooming out of this, who knows. I'm positively radiating happiness as I enter the Great Hall for dinner, although, I run my eyes over the line-up of teachers to catch my favorite dungeon bat, and as soon as he spots me, he throws a nasty look my way with quite furrowed brows, a bitter face, like he ate something bad. I find his behavior weird, since he just today gave me the highest mark, but I decide to brush it off, maybe he's got something else on his mind, or he's just not feeling well. Maybe the first years pissed him off again, this is usually the face he wears when he is fed up with children for the day.

Food appears in front of us, and I chow down with the best appetite I had in months, my great performance and even greater grade infinitely elevating my mood. Though, my mind can't resist, and she wanders back to my dorm, where the beloved number II awaits me, I sure as hell am going to celebrate my success with even juicier paintings than before. I shall devour the potioneer on paper as a reward for blessing me with this 'Outstanding' and I sure as hell will do an 'Outstanding' performance between his legs, kneeling before him. Ah, this day can't get any better.

Quickly finishing my meal, I leave before anyone else, running back to my dorm, with butterflies in my stomach, anticipation spreading glee inside me. Barging in my shared bedroom, I throw myself on the bed, pull the curtains shut, and reach down into my bag. The notebook is retrieved with a perverse grin, I can already feel the tingle under my skin. Oh, this will be a masterpiece, I can feel it. Taking out my brush and paints, the brush is dipped in color, and I open up the pages to start- The Uncommon Uses Of Asphodel?

My heart drops in my stomach as I stare in horror at the words in front of me, my now trembling hands flicking through the pages in panic. I refuse to believe my eyes as I see every single NEWT level potions assignment on the pages.

But if my NEWT potions notebook is here... then that means... No. This can't be. Tell me this is just a bad dream...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

65.4K 1.8K 38
A new professor arrives at Hogwarts and Severus Snape could not be more annoyed that Defense Against the Dark Arts was given to someone new, but what...
35.7K 815 25
Cover done by @Khloeshades Y/N, a hogwarts student in her 7th was always a quiet girl, and nobody truly understood her until a certain professor und...
242K 7.4K 41
It is 6th year, the Dark Lord has returned. An unusual attack spikes confusion amongst Hogwarts, Severus Snape is intrigued by you but feelings soon...
295K 6.3K 38
Nothing would of prepared Celia Malfoy for what she was about to be faced with. In her last year of Hogwarts coming to a close, the Potions Professo...