Alpha Charming | Rheon

By LisaMuller5

When Ash learns she is a royal werewolf's mate and the key to breaking his curse, paying her studio rent beco... More

A Brief Note
Official Playlist
A Brief Character Introduction
ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
NINE
TEN
ELEVEN
TWELVE
THIRTEEN
FOURTEEN
FIFTEEN
SIXTEEN
SEVENTEEN
EIGHTEEN
NINETEEN
TWENTY
TWENTY-ONE
TWENTY-TWO
TWENTY-THREE
TWENTY-FOUR
TWENTY-FIVE
TWENTY-SIX
TWENTY-SEVEN
TWENTY-EIGHT
THIRTY
SEQUEL

TWENTY-NINE

3.9K 142 12
By LisaMuller5

"How's that?"

I stretched my arm forward, twisting it side to side before flexing it cautiously. Smiling in relief when it didn't sting or throb, I turned to Blake. "As good as new. Thank you so much, this would've hurt for weeks if not for your magic."

A ghost of a smile appeared on his face. He lowered his head to hide it, gazing at the carpet as if it was the most interesting object in the world. "I'm not too familiar with healing spells. Lucine always had me do the opposite." He frowned before changing the topic, "Sorry I can't heal that scar, though. That's the effect a witch's fire has on living things."

I examined the uneven patches of pink skin around my wrist and upper arm – I could see the outlines of Lucine's fingers when she burned me that day. Grandma Selene already warned me about it, but it pained me to know those scars will be a constant reminder of what happened.

I will always carry a part of Lucine with me.

Crossing my legs underneath me, I force a comforting smile at Blake. "Don't worry too much about it. The pain's gone, that's all that matters."

He nodded once and began putting away the herbs he used for the healing spell. It took him a total of two hours and three attempts before the burn wounds on my arm magically recovered. During that time, I concluded that he wasn't as bad as his sister. He never had the opportunity to learn how to use his magic for good, but seeing how determined he was to heal my arm, I finally caught a glimpse of his true character.

"Did you like it?" I asked evenly, feeling nothing but sympathy towards him. "Torturing people, I mean."

His eyes met mine as he nodded weakly, but immediately added, "I knew it was wrong, though. Back then I didn't have a reason to stop, now I have Clemmy - if she'll accept me when she turns eighteen."

I waved it off with a grin. "Of course, she'll accept you. You just need to learn how to distinguish between her sincerity and sarcasm. She has an abundance of both." Even when we were trapped in that cave and confined by tendrils of magic, did Clemmy manage a witty remark or two. I frowned, recalling something that I've been wondering about since the battle ended. "Can I ask you another question?"

Blake frowned curiously, but nodded as he crossed his arms.

"Back in the cave, Lucine's magic hardly budged when we tried to escape. How come I was able to break free last night? It took some effort, of course, but still."

"Her magic is...was strong, yes," he began, the crease in his forehead deepening as he searched for an answer. "Honestly, I don't know. Unless she was unconscious, you weren't supposed to be able to escape her binds."

That's exactly what I was thinking. Perhaps the answer died with Lucine, but I'd lie if I said I wouldn't kill to know how I was able to escape her hold on me.  

A knock sounded at the door before Rheon poked his head in. "Are visiting hours open yet?"

Blake nodded silently and gathered his things to leave. The two of them exchanged brisk nods before the half-werewolf exited the room.

Rheon closed the door behind him and came to stand before me. He bent down and buried his face in my neck, sending goosebumps spreading across my arms as he inhaled my scent.

"I still can't get over it," he breathed against my skin, "You smell simply amazing. It's... otherworldly."

"Hello to you too." I grinned before holding up my arm for him to see, "And look, Blake healed me. I'm armed again." I winked at him, "Get it? Armed?"

Rheon chuckled and carefully held my arm in his hands, brushing his thumb over the scars that remained. I studied him carefully, noticing how his eyes darkened while he no doubt imagined Lucine torturing me. The scars weren't just my burden to bear as a constant reminder of the curse, but his as well.

Feeling self-conscious all of a sudden, I retracted my arm, but he was quick to pull me back. "Don't. You're beautiful, Ash. Even if Lucine left you unrecognizable, you still would've brought me to my knees."

"She knew," I whispered, "She had to."

"What are you talking about?"

"Lucine," I specified, "She had to know even if we did win, if we survived, we'd never completely be free of her curse. These scars are her mark, her way of reminding us that she won."

"But she didn't." Rheon cupped my face so I could meet his eyes. "She's dead, the curse is broken; all thanks to you." When I didn't cheer up at the notion right away, he added with a tiny smile, "I found the werewolves in the garage, plus the barbeque trail on the front lawn. Remind me never to piss you off."

I scrunched my face. "Don't remind me. That was the worst thing I ever did." Those burnt-out eye sockets will forever haunt my dreams and I'll never forget the smell of burnt flesh for as long as I live.

"And I hope you'll never have to do it again." His thumbs brushed over the apples of my cheeks, and I leaned further into his touch. "You have no idea what it's been like when Kenna burst through the doors of the ballroom, claiming Lucine had taken you and Clemmy. I was beside myself with rage. It took six men to keep me from shifting."

My imagination came to life as I pictured six men with supernatural strength keeping only one from going feral. I knew Rheon was strong, I just never realized how strong he was until I saw him on the battlefield. Not only did he protect me from four werewolves on his own, but his mere gaze was also enough to force them to submission. The pack of rogue wolves outside the castle was proof of that.

After the battle, the Bloodrose pack tracked down the wolves that fled and disposed of them permanently. However, there were some who yielded, who swore themselves to Rheon if they were allowed to live.

"That's what Bloodrose is good at," Emric told me that night, "Tracking and killing."

The problem was without Lucine, the wolves who submitted were leaderless, which made them rogue omegas. No one knew what to do with them. They couldn't be left to roam freely either as some of them were newly turned and still struggled with control. Only after a brief meeting between the alphas of each pack, it was decided that each would take a few omegas with them to their land to add to their numbers.

Not liking the somberness that settled in the air between us, I decided to change the topic. We just won a battle, everyone we cared about was alive, we should be celebrating rather than lingering on the aftermath.

Running my hands down Rheon's chest, I pulled him closer by his blazer until our noses brushed. "I just realized I never wished you a happy birthday at the ball." Leaning in, I captured his lips in a searing kiss. My hands found their way to his hair, tugging at the roots while he was exploring my body with his. He moaned when I nipped his bottom lip, his hands squeezing my waist appreciatively. I pulled back just enough to breathe against his mouth, "Happy birthday."

"Definitely worth the wait." He grinned.

"I also got you something." It took every bit of self-control not to smile or give away any hints. "But you'll have to wait until all the guests have left to see it."

"Oh, is that how it's going to be." His eyes gleamed mischievously, causing me to giggle.

"Yes, that's how it's going to be. Now help me up, we should be heading downstairs to see them off."

"You're starting to sound like the lady of the castle."

My heart fluttered at the pride in his eyes. Tilting my chin up with a cheeky grin, I linked my arm with his and he escorted us downstairs.

The Nightstar, Bloodrose and Crescent Moon packs were all gathered outside the castle doors, each with around ten rogue werewolves at their backs. Reyna and Alexander were standing with her pack, and to my surprise, Seren with Bloodrose.

Emric and Rieka were saying their farewells when the two of us joined what was left of Craven Pride. I shook my head at the sight of Craig's hair; disheveled as always. Some things just never change. Blake was standing at the very back of the group, admiring Clemmy from a distance. I imagined this was strange for him; to be in a pack where the members cared for each other. It would take some time for him to adjust.

Crescent Moon was the first to depart after saying their goodbyes. After them, Bloodrose bid us farewell. Seren's eyes were brimming with tears as she embraced her family, promising to come visit as often as she could.

"Take care of my brother." She sniffled, throwing her arms around my neck. "And you better ask me to be your maid of honor once you and my brother decide to tie the knot. Also, I get to be your children's godmother and you're naming your first girl after me."

I breathed a laugh as the blood rose to my cheek. "I should be saying the same to you. Judging by the way Larkin is eyeing you up, you'd probably be popping out babies before me."

She snorted as a smirk tugged at her lips. "Considering that I'm planning on sealing the deal tonight..."

My brows nearly flew off my head at the thought of what she had planned for Larkin. Poor thing, he wouldn't be able to walk for days after Seren had her way with him. She's relentless.

After a final embrace, she joined her new pack in their SUV's. Larkin held the door for her as she hopped in and joined her in the backseat. We watched them drive off until the vehicles disappeared out of the driveway. My vision blurred with tears at Seren's absence, the castle will never be the same without her.

At least she found her mate, I reminded myself. Larkin will fill the gaps in her heart and soon, she won't even miss us anymore. I should know - I hardly even miss my family back home with Rheon in my life.

Nightstar's farewell was brisk and cheerful. Reyna wasn't the type of person who'd shed a tear at a simple goodbye. "Eventually we'll see each other again, perhaps when Rheon and Ash get married, or to fight another war... See? The Hunt is far from over."

Alexander, just like Reyna, kept his hugs short. His transfer to Nightstar has been arranged months ago when he and Reyna discovered they were mates. I guess that made saying goodbye easier in some way.

"And that's the last of them," Emric sighed once Nightstar's silver cars rolled out of the driveway. Flinging his arm around Rieka's shoulders, he pressed a kiss to her temple before turning to Blake. "You drink scotch?"

The half-werewolf's eyes grew when the former alpha addressed him so casually. Swallowing nervously, he nodded.

"Wonderful." Emric delivered a hearty pack on his back. "Let's go discuss your courtship with my daughter over a glass. Rieka, Clemmy, are you joining us?"

Blake awkwardly held out his arm towards the youngest Balfour and, to his surprise, Clemmy actually took it. It was honestly adorable to see him act all awkward and insecure around her.

Victor crunched his nose, jerking his head between the three couples around him. "Why does it feel like I just became the seventh wheel in this family?"

"Perhaps it is time you open that old Tinder account of yours, Vicky," Rheon fired back, laughing as his younger brother aimed a punch at his gut.

Craig snorted at Victor's despondent and patted him on the back. "You can be my mate, lad. What d'ya say we head to the pub for a pint? On me, o' course."

Grumbling that he had nothing better to do, Victor allowed Craig to drag him towards the garage, leaving me with Rheon. I felt his gaze on me without even turning my head. He slithered an arm around my waist, pulling me flush against his chest.

"So," he whispered against my cheek, "what did you get me for my birthday?"

Grinning mischievously, I laced my fingers with his and dragged him towards the castle. I was giddy with excitement as we climbed the stairs to his room, feeling my stomach flutter as we reached his door.

Pushing him into the room, I locked the door behind us and backed him up to the bed. His brows arched as I shoved him down on the mattress before taking a step back.

Slowly, I reached up to unzip the back of my dress.

Rheon froze, his eyes following my hand upwards as I slipped the one sleeve off my shoulder. Feeling like a tease, I turned around to remove the other. With my back on him, I allowed the dress to slide down my body and over my waist.

By the time the dress finally dropped to my ankles, he was on his feet and trailed his hands across my bare back. I shivered as his fingers played with the clasp of my bra, tugging at it while his breath fanned against my neck.

"I didn't know what to get you," I confessed when I felt his lips brush up the base of my neck, "So I am your gift."

I gasped when he spun me around, raking his eyes up and down my half-naked body before asking politely, "Are you sure?"

I leaned in and kissed him with fervor, fisting my hands into his blazer as I pressed myself into him. We were breathless when I pulled back to whisper against his lips, "Mark me."

Rheon's eyes clouded with lust and in a motion too fast for my brain to comprehend, he had thrown me onto the bed. In a split second, he pinned my arms above my head and was claiming my lips with burning passion.

With his lips making their way from my mouth to my neck, he growled against my skin, "Mine."

And with that, he undid my bra and introduced me to a world of ecstasy that I thought only existed in my wildest dreams.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

85.4K 1.9K 15
- "I truly feel like everything I say or do is always wrong." - Years pass by like nothing, the seconds are ticking away bit by bit. - "Like I'm the...
66.9K 3.5K 21
After coming home from school one afternoon, Haylee Oak discovers her dead father in her bloodied mother's arms. Her mother utters one word and with...
512K 24.2K 30
A MODERN MEDIEVAL FANTASY #3 in Fantasy |Book 1 of the Fifth Daughter Trilogy| When darkness arises and the world of Fantasy is in danger of being de...
8.2K 827 48
Evie is haunted by her past, and so tangled up with her best friend and room mate she isn't even sure she remembers how to be an independent person a...