The Mortal And The Wicked-- O...

By The_twilight_writer

ONC 2023 Shortlister His features had haunted her for years; a boy with silver eyes peering out from beneath... More

The riddle
Prologue; Inklings of magic
Chapter 1; A dreadful beginning indeed
Chapter 2; The first whispers of magic
Chapter 3; A tale within a tale
Chapter 4; By invitation only
Chapter 5; The invitation
Chapter 6; The silver gates and other anomalies
Chapter 7; In which Lucy makes a dreadful error.
Chapter 8; An interrupted tea time
Chapter 9; Wicked grins and dreadful games
Chapter 10; Dreadful choices and a very grumpy Lucy Caramonte
Chapter 11; In which Azrael grows rather light-headed
Chapter 12; A lie of love and other matters
Chapter 13; The beginnings to a game
Chapter 14; Of keys and minor arguments
Chapter 15; Tune for a dreamer
Chapter 16; To find one's heart
Chapter 17; Of dying magic and love long lost
Chapter 18; A price more than gold
Chapter 19; In steps unseen
Chapter 20; A shadow's song
Chapter 21; Of time lost and found
Chapter 22; In which Azrael grows far more irritating
Chapter 23; Of decaying magic and other abnormalities
Chapter 24; By which the night falls
Chapter 25; To death's final song
Chapter 27; Lucy and the Baron make a glorious plan indeed
Epilogue; A search for the night
Final thoughts from the author
ANNOUNCEMENT FOR A SEQUEL???

Chapter 26; And what came after

15 5 3
By The_twilight_writer

The Baron's expression was one of surprise when at last Lucy emerged from the tent of the Lord of the Dead. Perhaps in part both because she had obtained the key and that she herself was still alive.

Nevertheless, she allowed him to say nothing further on the matter, nor ask questions about how she had gotten the key or what happened to Azrael himself.

"It doesn't matter." Lucy said softly with one final glance at the black tent who's fabric was slowly pierced by the needle-like tips of black thorns, the branches swallowing it whole. "In any case, we ought to go. The carnival is coming to an end."

And to a glorious end it came; with lanterns popping and flickering to a dying light that vanished as they ran, tents collapsing silently in upon themselves as though being pulled into the ground itself. And all the while it was entirely empty, the remaining dead lovers and the carnival performers having disappeared as though vanishing into mist.

Thus, no one slowed them as they ran down the onyx path towards the gates-- the sky at the edge of the horizon tinged a blushing pink, lighting their way.

At times, Lucy stumbled, feeling as though her weary legs might collapse beneath her and she may not rise again. Yet it was in those times that the Baron steadied her, pulling her upright when she threatened to fall.

"We're nearly there," he said, his words punctuated with heavy gasps of air as he too struggled. "Just a bit farther."

And when at last the edges of the horizon were tinged with the fiery gold of the coming sun and the two held up one another in their final sprint, the gates loomed before them. The silver bars guarded by the only three living figures that still remained.

The first was Oz, and though he inquired nothing as to the state of Azrael, Lucy had the sense he knew what had become of the carnival master. He did, however, appear surprised that Lucy had found all three keys-- yet even to this he made no comment at all.

The second was Mabel, her steps far less joyous than before. Like a child who knows the party has come to an end.

With a tender touch she took hold of Lucy's hands in her front hooves. "I hope you'll both be happy, no matter where your lives lead." she said, "And perhaps one day we shall meet again."

They embraced one another for a moment, a pang of sorrow piercing Lucy's chest that she would have to leave her behind to whatever fate awaited them beyond the mist.

Yet the sun was rising, and with a gentle prodding from Mabel she stepped forth towards the barred gates, the third and final guardian, the minotaur of the gates, stepping aside without a word.

"Shall we, Edward?" she asked the Baron as they stood side by side, keys in hand.

He nodded, and together they slid the keys into the locks of the gate and hand in hand they stepped out into the light of the dawn. Into the world of the living...

..............................................

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

218 62 36
Her vision blurry, eyes teary, ears ringing, as her head starts buzzing from the hard impact. She watches, as the red shining droplet falls and taint...
1.5M 77.9K 62
* 2017 WATTY WINNER!* Blurb: Humans are at the top of the food chain and always have been. But what if they weren't? What if another took our place...
238K 20.2K 49
Ever since people could remember only men were allowed to enter the House of Beardsley, but for the first time four young girls with nothing in commo...
10K 864 29
JumeauxδΈ€ (adjective) ; said of children born from the same childbirth Jeno, sang kakak yang hidup bahagia melupakan sosok adik kembarnya. Jaemin, sa...