Know Better - A Stydia AU

By you-make-me-wander

Lydia is a single mom and has to move miles away to escape her abusive ex-husband. In a new city, her life ch... More

Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17

Chapter 1

7.5K 205 120
By you-make-me-wander

She should have known better than to bake the chocolate muffins in the early morning, but she couldn't help it. She has been edgy ever since she woke up at 4:00 am, nervous with the anticipation. The feeling vanishes when she sees a flash of red darting into her kitchen, a sleepy smile on said face.

"I smell chocolate." The little girl's eyes widen, almost glowing. Getting closer to Lydia, she grabs at her mom's apron, demanding attention. "What you doing?"

Lydia can't help but smile. "Good morning sweetie." Her hand falls to the girl's hair and she bends down to kiss her forehead. "It's the first day in your new school. You want to make new friends, right?" The girl nods. "So we'll take the muffins and you can give them to your teacher and your new friends. Is that okay?"

The little girl cracks a smile, nodding happily. "Can I have one now?" She's on her tiptoes, stretching her arms up trying to reach the top of the island, but the surface is way too high for her to reach them.

Lydia chuckles. Anything for my little girl. "Only when you're all ready for school. We are already running late. So why don't you go and get dressed while I finish up here, okay? And then wash your hands." The girl starts running out of the kitchen and down the hall. "No running, sweetheart."

Lydia can't help but smile at the girl's enthusiasm. Her daughter is taking everything so much better than she is. Obviously it's because the girl is still very young and has never met her father so she doesn't remember her him, but Lydia does. She remembers everything. The way their relationship started after a one-night stand when they were in college. How she endured years of psychological, and sometimes physical, abuse. How he forced her to marry him, threatening to expose her family's financial issues. Raised on a well renowned family, she couldn't have it so she agreed, even though after a year they were already divorced; his idea. Not that Lydia didn't want that, it's what she wanted the most, but fear kept her in her place beside him then. It was after the divorce that she found out. She still vividly remembers the day she told him she was pregnant. It was the worst day of her life. After he snapped and screamed his lungs out, their house - where Lydia had stayed after the divorce - was completely shattered. She left that very night. She wouldn't want to admit it, but she considered abortion or giving her baby away, afraid he might do something to her. But Lydia just couldn't bring herself to do it, so she kept running. And now, four years later, she is in a new town, starting a new life. And she wouldn't have it any other way.

Lydia is startled by her phone buzzing as she finishes putting the muffins in a beautifully decorated box that she bought for the occasion and then takes the call.

"Hi mom."

"Hey sweetheart. How are we today?" Her tone is a little apprehensive, Lydia notices.

"Well, okay, I guess. Considering... I'm just a little nervous, that's all."

"And our baby girl?" Lydia smiles at how endearing her mom's voice sounds.

"Oh, she's happy. We made chocolate muffins." At the mention, the red-haired girl comes running from the bathroom, hands still wet, a black band almost slipping from its place at her waist. "I'll put you on speaker," says Lydia, sitting the girl in one of the seats from her kitchen's island and drying her hands, then tying the black band in a ribbon on the girl's back.

"Hi, Nana." The girl screams and Natalie laughs on the other side of the line as her granddaughter greets her.

"Hey, little angel. Ready for your first day?"

The girl grabs one of the muffins and stuffs her mouth. "Mommy made muffins and I have a new dress."

"Oh you do? I bet you look pretty." All three of them smile.

"She does," says Lydia. "It's that blue dress I told you about the other day. I think it's only appropriate. One is never too young to make an impression, right?" Lydia grins even if her mom can't see her.

"Please take pictures. I wanna see." Natalie's words come out a little sad. She knew being away from her girls wouldn't be easy, but it had to be done. For their sake. "I will call you later and you can tell me all about your new friends, okay?"

The little girl just nods, focusing on drinking her milk. Lydia takes her mom off speaker. "I'll take pictures. Don't worry. We should be going. Don't wanna be late on her first day."

Natalie lingers for a moment, hesitant. She doesn't want to impose but she needs to know that they are okay. "Is it alright if I stop by this weekend and we can spend some time together? I miss you..."

"Mom, we saw you just last week before we came here."

"Well, last week I could meet you in ten minutes. Now it's more like four hours."

"All the more reason for you not to come, mom, but sure, why not? And don't worry, we'll be okay."

"I really hope you will."

xxxxxxxxxx

After she hung up on her mom and the girl was finished with her breakfast, Lydia did both their hairs. The girl's upper half was pushed back in a ponytail with a beautiful blue ribbon, as the lower half was loose, her strawberry blonde locks free. Her hair was long, reaching her waist just like Lydia's. The girl was a vision. Her satin dress has two shades of blue, that Lydia complemented with the black band she had tied before. Her shoes are also black, very simple. She looks just like her, Lydia thinks, smiling.

She takes a picture of her daughter that she sends to Natalie, and not ten minutes later they are both out the door. They make it to pre-school just in time. The little girl is impatient to get in, pulling Lydia by the hand as the woman tries to balance the box with the muffins on her other arm. Turning around a corner, Lydia doesn't notice the man that is coming in their direction so she bumps into him. Thank god for good reflexes, he caught the box before it found the ground. No damage.

"Oh my god. I'm so sorry. Are you okay?" His voice is soft, but somewhat concerned. His hand grabs her arm to steady her as he returns the box to her hands. His touch is warm. "I didn't see where I was going..."

"It's fine. I'm okay. I didn't see either..." She mutters, looking up to flash him a reassuring smile, but as soon as they lock eyes she's lost in thought. His eyes are a light brown, almost amber, and they are deep. So deep that Lydia momentarily forgets that she still has her daughter with her and looks down at the girl, glad to know she has something else to look at because she's sure she's blushing.

Also flushed, he follows her gaze and gets down on his heels, directing his attention to the little girl. She has the most beautiful red hair and green eyes, just like the woman beside her, who he's assuming is her mother. And he can't place it, but somehow the little girl looks familiar.

"Hey honey, are you okay?"

The girl nods, extending her little hand to him. "Hello."

He takes her hand and shakes it. "Hello to you too. I didn't hurt you, did I?"

Lydia is amazed with their brief interaction. Even though her daughter talks pretty much every time she can, she only does it when she is around familiar faces. She's very shy to anyone else, so this is a first. She watches as the girl shakes her head, smiling at him. Definitely a first.

"Well, I'm glad you're okay." He smiles back, standing up. "Both of you." He rubs the back of his neck. "Hmm are you from around? I don't think I-"

He's interrupted by a child running to his side, a boy around the little girl's age. He's wearing a simple white shirt and blue jeans, and is brown haired, like the man. His jeans are not buttoned so he probably just came from the bathroom. "I'm ready. Can I go?"

The man turns to the child, buttoning the jeans and laughing. "Okay, what did I taught about manners?" He turns to Lydia and her daughter. "What do we do when we meet pretty girls?"

The little boy seems embarrassed but takes a step forward and reaches for the little girl's hand, planting a small kiss on her knuckles. Both their faces are red. "It's nice to meet you," the boy blurts out.

The girl just nods, looking up nervously at her mom. Lydia doesn't think she can handle so much cuteness. "It's okay sweetie," she says.

The girl turns to the boy again. "It's nice to meet you too," she says timidly.

"Making friends already, are we?" The voice comes from behind the man. A tall woman, probably in her thirties, approaches them. "Miss Martin?" She reaches for Lydia's hand and she shakes it.

"Yes. You must be Miss Hale. It's so nice to finally meet you."

"Please, call me Cora. And you..." she faces the little girl, smiling, "you must be my new apprentice."

The girl proceeds like she did with the man. "Hello." Curiosity gets the best of her. "Apprentice?"

The teacher laughs. "Yes. You're gonna learn so many things, you'll see..."

The girl almost can't contain her excitement. She really likes to learn, much like Lydia.

"Well, aren't you cute." The woman turns to Lydia. "I'm gonna take her inside now. Mr. Lahey, the Director, will only be able to see you in about forty minutes, though, as he's running late. He apologizes for the inconvenience."

"Oh, it's fine. And here." Lydia hands the box to Cora. "Just a little something for the class."

"It's muffins." The little girl almost screams, excited.

Cora smiles. "Thank you. I'll make sure they know they are from you. Are you ready?"

The girl squeezes her mom's hand and Lydia gets down and kisses her hair. "Go on. I'll pick you up later, okay?"

Her daughter barely nods and she's already beside her teacher, eager for her new adventures. Cora turns to face the man. "Mr. Stilinski, I think it's his time to come as well..." She nods to the boy at his side, and starts walking, girl in hand.

Caught off guard looking at the redhead, he mumbles, "Oh- Of course." He turns his attention to the kid. "Okay big boy. Off you go". They exchange what Lydia supposes is a private handshake and the boy runs to catch up with the teacher, leaving Lydia and the man standing awkwardly in the hallway. She's the one breaking the silence.

"Is he yours?" she motions in the direction to where the boy ran off to catch up with the girls.

"Who? Eric?" He rubs the back of his neck again, surprised that she's talking to him. "He's my nephew, and my godson. I usually drive him to and from school." He starts rambling. "How cute were they..." He stops when he sees that the woman has her hands on her mouth, looking shocked. "Everything okay?"

Lydia can't believe it. It's like it is some sort of sign. "Eric? That's his name?"

"Hm yeah, why?"

She smiles. "Her name is Ariel."

He smiles back at her, skeptical. "Really? Holy shit..." He covers his mouth immediately, realizing they are still inside the preschool. They both laugh and start heading out. "Ariel and Eric! That's... It's like it's meant to be."

"And that kiss-on-the-hand thing? So charming." She smirks at him. "Not very subtle, though."

He laughs. "Well, he has to learn how to win the ladies' affections, right?" Then he suddenly remembers. "Wait- Her dress. It looks like the one from 'The Little Mermaid', right?" She nods. "Wow, that's just... She looked adorable."

"She is," she says, more to herself than to him. She holds out her hand for him. "And I'm Lydia, by the way."

"Stiles," he says, reaching for her hand.

Both their breaths quicken when they touch, like an electric current is flowing from one to the other. Their contact sure lasts longer than it should, but none of them wants to break it. Mesmerized, they look into each other's eyes. Lydia hadn't paid attention before to how tall he is, or how handsome. He's probably around her age but looks younger. His hair is messy and there are moles on his face and neck. He's built, not much, and his muscles are just defined enough for her to lose her thoughts again as she studies them. She has to shake her head.

"Th- That's an odd name," she says, taking back her hand.

His mind was wandering too. "Hmm nickname, actually." They try to avert each other's gaze, both a little embarrassed, both not succeeding. "So I- I'm gonna go grab some coffee before work. There are some great coffee shops across the street..."

She notices he's scratching the back of his neck again. It has to be some habit he picked up when he's nervous. She curses herself that she's even considering it, but she can feel something pulling them together, and the words are out before she knows it. "Mind if I join you?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.7K 118 10
It has been four years since Stiles said goodbye to Beacon Hills. Four years he has spent mainly on his own trying to get away from the pain he felt...
384 45 23
Stiles Stilinski and Lydia Martin were two young teenagers, both having kon idea how their lives would turn out. But Stiles didn't know that Lydia ev...
117K 5.1K 28
Lydia Martin: she walked with her body covered in bruises, she thought he loved her, he kissed her with his fist. Stiles Stilinski: he walked behind...
6K 69 15
Every chapter is a different story full of love and a little sin so it's a little mature. These are all gonna be about Stydia; Stiles and Lydia from...