Breaking out

By Arkhane_Remirez

Aki Dilherra, 5th prince of Delhevia is to be joined in marriage with the crown prince of Aved, Yeran Avos. W... More

Character index
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
A/N
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Book 2
II. Chapter 1
II. Chapter 2
II. Chapter 3
II. Chapter 4
II. Chapter 5
II. Chapter 6
II. Chapter 7
II. Chapter 8
II. Chapter 9
II. Chapter 10
II. Chapter 11
A/N
II. Chapter 12
Book 3
III. Chapter 1
III. Chapter 2
III. Chapter 3
III. Chapter 4
III. Chapter 5
III. Chapter 6
III. Chapter 7
AN

Chapter 6

40 6 1
By Arkhane_Remirez

Aki sat on the windowsill, gazing down at the adjuscent garden. One leg pulled up on the sill to rest an elbow on the knee, the other lightly swaying absentmindedly, where it didn't touched the floor.

Three days, he was confined in the room for three days and there was not even a peek of outside world rather than from this window. Not even Mira was permitted entry, just one kitchen maid three times a day to provide his meals.

A dark bruise shadowed his face, barely faded. His fingers grazed along it, smiling to himself, eyes following a chirping bird, wondering how free it could be to fly.

The light creak of the opening door drew his attention. He turned his head, suddenly aware that he had yet to bother with robes and was just standing in his under tunic, trousers and one under robe.

Seeing who it was, he rose to his feet, the small smile long gone.

"Brother," he greeted, not a hint of emotion to color his voice.

"Prince consort," Ruth bowed, not low enough, but Aki allowed the small petty satisfaction.

Ruth sweeped a look over his brother's head to toe, noting the bruise over his cheekbone, standing out dark against the pale skin, loose hair that flowed around him like a curtain and underdressed state.

"Get dressed Prince Consort, you have been summoned to the investigation office."

"I was under the impression of you being my husband's guard, are you an escort now? Change of professions?" Aki allowed a small smile to bloom.

"I do not see how what I do and do not is any of your concern Prince Consort, but I'd ask, would you rather be dragged there in chains by guards, or will you walk with me?" Ruth raised a brow.

"Ah, so a small mercy for your brother, yes?" Aki asked.

"Whatever might help you feel better Prince Consort, let's go. Come quietly and you will have your dignity left intact." Ruth almost sneered.

"As if the whole palace might not already be blowing up with rumors and conspiracies?" Aki asked.

"In truth, no, your highness, no one is to know of what had transpired. Under the fear of banishment or execution." That was definitely a sneer when Ruth pronounced 'your highness'.

"Fear can only prolong something so far, my dearest brother, have you not heard that even walls have ears? It is unfortunate that mine seems to be a bit more.....deaf than any...." Aki trailed off, turning to his closet.

"Say, Ruth, do your brother a favour and tell me what this is all about? What am I being accused of?" Aki asked, fitting a robe over his under clothes and tightening  a cloth sash, a deep blue embroidered in silver to match the light blue of his robe, around the waist.

He didn't bother with his hair, just letting it lie open and instead fixed a silver belt over the sash.

"I know that underhand is not one of your specific talents brother, but do I really know you, I'm curious," Ruth contemplated.

"Be more specific Ruth, you only make me more muddled." Aki asked, adjusting the long sleeves to fall properly along his arms.

Ruth shook himself off, as if he was talking to himself, not realizing of talking aloud.

"You will see,"

"I will not take a step out of this room till I know what I have done wrong," Aki replied stubbornly, fixing both hands behind his back and staring straight at Ruth's eyes.

"You are accused of poisoning Lord Zeke." Ruth replied uncaring, watching in satisfaction Aki's brows jump to his hairline.

"Excuse me?!" Aki asked.

"Start walking your highness, no time to delay, you getting dragged by guards was not just a threat."

"Very well Prince Ruth, lead the way." Aki replied, getting a hold of himself, schooling his emotions back to impassive.

¤¤¤

"There was a bottle of wine served with dinner that night, your highness, why did you not open it?"

Officer Luisand circled back to the real question he wanted to ask, after several others to throw the Prince Consort of his plots, if there were any.

The Prince consort frowned,

"A bottle of wine? Is there not always a bottle of wine?" He asked.

"Please answer the question, your highness," officer Luisand did not indulge in his highness' question.

"I am not much of a fan of drinking officer, particularly not in front of an audience."

"And yet, you asked for the bottle to be brought to your room?"

"And like I said, I don't like to drink in front of people, so I asked it to brought to be savored in privacy. If you are to ask any servant present in any meals any day after I came here, it would be clear to you that I have never consumed wine, in any meals"

"Is there any proof that you actually consumed the wine brought to your room?"

"You can ask Mira, she's my personal maid. But before that, officer, may I ask why you are so fixated on a bottle of wine, of all things?"

"Though it may seem as so, I am not, Prince Consort. Excuse me, an escort will be here shortly for your highness to return to your chambers." Officer Luisand excused himself, leaving the Prince consort alone in the inquiry chamber.

Aki huffed to himself, crossing his arms over his chest, more confused at the end of questioning rather than at beginning. He still knows not how he got into suspicion.

Though it may be fare since the Crown Prince's lover is poisoned instead of his husband, for it to be an enemy attack, not even a month passed since the said husband entered the palace and so far Aki seem to be the only one with an obvious grudge. Not that it was true, Aki could care less about who his husband spends his time with, his mind occupied with things as it was.

He lowered his head, a finger tapping against his arm, thinking.

¤¤

"Well?" 1st officer Dane questioned.

"His highness' answers matches with what we already know of, Sir," officer Luisand replied.

Officer Dane gave a look, saying to continue.

"The maid, Mira, has served the bottle of wine herself to Prince Consort that night, and his highness has not hesitated in downing half the bottle."

"Can this maid be trusted?"

"Yes sir, she is a third generation of servants working here, after both her grandmother and mother, she does not have a reason for betrayal."

"Could the Prince consort have changed her mind?"

"No, sir, neither the consort nor the maid gave a hint of hesitating in answering, nor any symptoms of withholding information and their answers match each other, also I sent some officers to search his highness' room and that bottle had been found."

"Hmm....inform his highness the Crown Prince and escort Prince Consort to his chambers, we might be needing to be more thorough." Officer Dane ordered.

"Yes, sir," Officer Luisand left with a salute.

¤¤

"Does my husband think I am going to make a run for it? For him to send his best guard as my....entourage?" Aki raised his head to fix eyes against Ruth's.

"You may ask his highness the next time you see him, Prince Consort."

Aki did not replied, just stood to follow him.

¤¤¤

"Your highness, oh your highness," Mira almost dashed through the doors in her hurry to see her charge.

"Mira, good to see you, I hope you have not had any trouble?" Aki gifted her with a small smile.

Mira blushed, 'his highness ought not to smile so beautifully,'.

"No, your highness, I was worried for you.." the girl replied.

"OH your highness, you are hurt!" Mira's eyes caught the bruise, still unfaded after four whole days.

"I...walked into a door," Aki replied with a sheepish smile, not daring to sully his husband's reputation.

Mira reaches a hand towards his face, Aki quickly taking a step back.

"Sorry, sorry, my lord, I forgot myself. May I ask for a poultice be brought?" Mira bowed low, wondering.

'His highness has only displayed an eternal grace, how had he turned clumsy enough to walk into a door so suddenly?'

"It will heal on its own Mira, do not bother," Aki replied.

"I...but....your highness...."

"Mira," Aki said, a hint of warning in his tone.

"Yes, your highness."

"Mira, tell me what is happening in the palace, no one is giving me any clear answer," Aki asked, quiet a bit frustrated with vague liners.

"OH, your highness not know?" Mira asked.

"I know that Lord Zeke had gotten poisoned, but than that, nothing."

"Yes, your highness, His highness the Crown Prince had been beside himself with worry...he had not left the lord alone..." Mira trailed off remembering who she is talking to, which she had forgotten in her excitement.

Aki gave her another small smile, his face kept carefully blank.

"Continue Mira,"

"Ah, well, the bottle of poisoned wine lord Zeke had consumed had been the one that was served to you, your highness."
Mira said.

"Me?"

"Yes your highness, your highness asked the bottle to be brought to your highness' chambers, Lord Zeke had taken the bottle and had asked that servant to replace it with another."

"Hmm...." Aki hummed, thoughtfully.

"Whoever had this attack planned, it was not intended for anyone," he assessed, absent-mindedly.

"Your highness?"

"And what exactly did you meant by that, Prince Consort?"

Only the royal upbringing stopped Aki from startling in surprise where Mira let out a small cry, at the sudden voice of Crown prince, both having gone ignorant in their conversation.

Aki stood hastily, bowing slightly, while Mira fell into a respectful bowing, her hands held against the stomach.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Hey,

Have I told you that I just love cliffhangers? Caz I do 😁. See you tomorrow...unless a sudden burst of inspiration hit me today that I had to finish another chap.

Arkhane.

P. S. : Just realizing Aki can be stated as a nickname for my pen name, it's not, just a coincidence. 

See ya!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34.8K 961 70
"I had nowhere else to go" What happens when the misunderstood villain shows up at the hero's doorstep bleeding and asking for help? What happens wh...
1.3K 26 58
The world is now in ruins. Most of the world gave up on trying to keep the peace between countries leaving everything to fall apart. Now the world wa...
9.2K 454 52
In a country divided by a blood feud, a unifying festival brings both sides together for a few weeks of celebration. Reds, society's elites, are forc...
3 0 3
I'll admit the last few years I've been through the wringer - and the blows just won't stop coming. First there is all the family drama, and then the...