Ninjago: Amplified 【 Midnight...

By -wingedwishes-

Aurora and her team find themselves in a peculiar situation. For months, the vigilantes had been struggling t... More

【1】 - Just Another Mission
【2】 - At Midnight's Peak
【4】 - The Connectivity Between Oni Intuition and Jealousy: a Continuing Study
【5】 - Into the Snake's Den
【6】 - An Untimely Realization
【7】 - The Night's Final Encounter
【8】 - The Right Time has yet to Appear

【3】 - Secrets Laced with Venom

14 1 0
By -wingedwishes-

╒══════╕

︶︶︶︶

【3】

Secrets Laced with Venom

︶︶︶︶

╘══════╛

It didn't take long for Aurora to find the culprit again– or, more accurately, for him to find her. She had barely made it to the first floor when she was intercepted at the end of the stairway, where he'd been waiting.

"Oh, good! You came! For a second there, I thought you'd gotten lost."

"Wouldn't dream of it." Aurora responded bluntly. Her focus shifted towards his mask, contemplating ways to get it off so their conversation would end quickly. "You know, I didn't catch your name."

"Oh, changing subject, are we? I'm flattered, but I believe you promised me a dance."

I didn't promise SHIT.

"Come on, I'll teach you," he extended an offering hand. "I guarantee you'll have the time of your life with me, you'll see."

Aurora mentally cursed.

Out of everything I've done for this job, this has GOT to be the most ridiculous.

Though, Aurora realized it wasn't too horrible of an idea. She couldn't just tear his mask off right then and there; he would likely catch on to her goal, and that would put her and team in danger if he truly was a criminal. Aurora could use a dance as a cover-up; she could pretend to slip up, "accidentally" knocking his mask off in the process.

But that certainly didn't mean Aurora was going to pretend to like it. There was no value high enough someone could pay her to get her to willingly dance with him.

Aurora ignored his outstretched hand, choosing to disregard it.

"Fine." She replied curtly.

"Damn, you really are stubborn," he lowered his hand, but his demeanor didn't change in the slightest. "But I like that. You'll end up liking me by the end of the night, too, I'm sure."

I highly doubt that, Mr. Delusional.

Aurora said nothing as he led her through the crowds and towards the ballroom. They stopped in an open space in the center of the floor, surrounded by other chattering partygoers. The orchestra shifted to a new song with a much slower tempo– most likely a song reserved for dances between couples. Aurora had to force away a scowl as the culprit held out his hand again; this time, she had to take it.

"Don't worry. We'll take things slow." He grinned.

He directed her to move, just as he'd insisted. They circled around each other slowly, their arms locked. They changed direction as the music went on, switching between faster and slower speeds.

Aurora watched him intently, trying to match his movements as best as possible. She hoped her genuine inexperience made her seem clueless– that way, he wouldn't see her as an obvious opponent.

"See, you're getting it," he complimented. "You'll be nearly as good as me by the end of this."

"I take it you dance often?" Aurora changed the subject, her eyes fixated on his mask.

"More times than you could probably count." He hummed as they twirled around each other. "Not enough people appreciate this form of music."

"I'm glad we were able to use it for this occasion." His smile raised into a smirk. "I was one of the few who planned this event, actually."

All at once, the amusement in eyes became overshadowed by a malicious gleam.

"Though, I think you already knew that."

"Why would I?" Aurora countered. "I've barely even met you."

She searched for a break in their dance, waiting for an opening to remove his mask. Unfortunately, it seemed that moment wasn't going to appear too soon.

"That's the funny thing, isn't it?" The culprit chuckled as they shifted directions, moving in time with the quickening music. "No one really knows each other here, no matter if they've met before."

"When you really think about it, no one has ever fully met anyone else in their lives," he continued, treading around her. "Everyone lives their lives differently. No person is entirely the same."

"Of course no one is the same." Aurora argued, perplexed by the sudden philosophy lesson. "We all have our own values."

She broke away from him to encircle him. By now, Aurora had begun to recognize the pattern of the song. In a second, she would need to lock arms with him again– the perfect opportunity to knock his mask off.

"Not just that." He tsked disapprovingly. "We all have something to hide, too."

At last, the moment came. The culprit stretched out his arm; immediately, Aurora pretended to trip over her own feet, thrashing an arm towards his mask.

Yet, before she was even close, he'd acted just as fast. In a split second, he grabbed onto her arms.

Aurora felt the world turn upside-down as he dipped her, getting in her face and glaring into her eyes.

"And I think you've got your own secrets, pretty."

"Who doesn't?" Aurora replied, unfazed by his act of intimidation. "Even so, wouldn't it ruin the theme of your party if I shared them?"

At that, the frown on his face lifted into a wide, toothy grin.

"You're right. After all, then we'd have no reason to be here." He nodded, helping them both back to their feet. "What's a party without its secrets?"

He led her in one, final turn. They slowed to a halt just as the song ended, their arms interlocked.

"Well, that was fun!" He changed the subject as they pulled away from one another. "But you don't seem very impressed yet, and we can't have that."

"Why don't we go upstairs?" He pointed towards the stairway where they'd come. "Like I said, I helped plan this entire party, so I could show you around the place. Maybe I'll get you to share your secrets along the way."

"Probably not," Aurora shook her head. "But I'm fine with that."

Aurora knew he'd probably lead her to a more secluded part of the venue, boasting about his accomplishments to show off. Yet that would be all the opening she needed to complete her mission and finally, finally, get out of there.

"You'll be surprised by how convincing my charms can be," he laughed, beckoning for her to follow him off the dance floor. "But I'll play along with your façade."

Aurora trailed after him, leaving the ballroom at his side. Although she wasn't thrilled about spending more time with him, she was glad they were finally done with the dancing. If she would've had to do that all night, she swore she would've lost her patience.

Though, as they ascended another stairway leading onto a more barren third floor, her feeling of discomfort returned to her with just the same amount of ferocity as before.

The voices of the crowds became nothing more than an echo in the background, the top floor of the venue seemingly devoid of energy. They passed thinner clusters of people, who seemed to dissipate from their vicinity the longer they walked.

They were headed farther from the other partygoers– both a blessing and a curse. Aurora was fairly certain he had something under his sleeve, but she did as well. It would only be a matter of time before she'd get her opening.

Aurora's eyes scanned her surroundings as they continued to meander, on alert. Nothing seemed too out of the ordinary; they wandered onto a walkway that overlooked the festivities, the corridor lined with various displays. The culprit pointed to them as they passed, commenting on the pottery and intricate statues placed carefully on the surfaces. Aurora figured this was just another attempt to show off, but she eyed him cautiously regardless.

At last, they emerged into a connected hall, leading out into a new clearing. Aurora followed after him, heading out onto a balcony swathed in moonlight. Had Aurora not been so on edge, she would've admired the beautiful sight.

But she barely noticed her surroundings, much too fixated on the next words to leave the stranger's mouth.

"You know, at first, this was fun." He paused at the very edge of the balcony, his back turned to her. "But now I'm just realizing how much of an oddity you are."

He swiveled around on his heel, turning back to face her with an immense interest.

"You do have secrets, don't you?"

"Like you said," Aurora retorted. "Don't we all?"

"Yes, we do. But you especially, right?" He pressed on. "I'm not an idiot. I can tell you don't want to be here. But you still followed after me."

"Even here." He gestured to their surroundings with his hands. "You allowed yourself to be alone with a complete stranger."

"That tells me two things. Either you're completely stupid," he grinned. "Or, the more intriguing option, you have a reason to be."

Aurora's heart dropped in her chest at the obvious statement, but she certainly wasn't about to let it show.

"Really?" Aurora raised a brow. "You've been acting shady all night. What right do you have to chastise me for my actions?"

"I suppose you're right." He shrugged nonchalantly. "But at least I'm more honest."

"So make things even. Let's see if we're on the same page."

"You are aware that this party includes criminals, right?" He began. "People who could eat you alive, if they so desired. Why put yourself at risk?"

"Why assume I'm the one at risk?" Aurora shot back. "For all you know, I could be just the same."

"You? Dangerous?" He chuckled mockingly. "That's cute. But don't waste your breath."

"I assure you," he swore. "No person here is more dangerous than me."

"Oh, please," Aurora scoffed. "Don't make me laugh."

At her words, the stranger only chuckled further, unaffected by her retort. Yet his playful demeanor was quick to vanish, his smile contorting into a wicked grin.

"No, I don't think I intend to do that." He hummed. "Quite the opposite, actually."

"Because I know what you're really here for."

He stepped closer, his eyes sparking with dark, malicious intent.

"You gave yourself away when you saw me."

Aurora's breath caught in her throat.

"The first thing you noticed was the scar."

Aurora's adrenaline spiked in her veins, casting a wave of energy throughout her body. Before she could fully comprehend what was happening, she was moving entirely on instinct.

She reeled forwards, sideswiping him directly on the face. Her fist collided heavily against his nose, sending his mask flying off at the impact.

Having not anticipated the sudden move, he had no time to react. He fell back with a shout that was nothing short of rage, erupting into a yelling fit of numerous curses. He gripped onto his nose just as it had begun to bleed, growling in fury.

As Aurora leapt away from him, putting space in between them, she heard Gold's familiar voice rise in her ear.

"Aura, we got a clear shot! GET OUT OF THERE, NOW!"

Aurora didn't need to be told. She was moving even before the android had given her the clear, sprinting back into the hallway before their culprit could consider a counter-attack.

But she didn't get very far.

Just as Aurora careened into the next clearing, something snagged onto her right leg. She felt her stomach drop as she was forced down, collapsing heavily against the stone flooring. She cried out in shock as scattered pains erupted against her skin, her body shaken by the fall.

Aurora tried to pick herself up, but whatever had caught onto her leg refused to let go. With her heartbeat roaring in her ears, she veered around to free herself.

Yet Aurora wasn't met with an inanimate object at all, as she had assumed.

Instead, a constrictai towered over her, his tail gripping firmly around her leg. He hissed lowly as they locked eyes, his lips curling into a venomous snarl.

Aurora grimaced, but she wasn't going down without a fight. Immediately, she kicked out with her opposing leg, aiming right for the serpentine's tail. Her heel struck the end of the appendage– where Yuri had said the most sensitive nerves were located.

At the contact, the constrictai let out a loud shriek of pain, instinctively releasing his grip. It was only a minor change in pressure, but it was enough for Aurora to yank her leg free. She staggered to her feet, bolting down the corridor.

That was when something else snagged onto her. Someone grabbed the back of her suit as she rushed past, yanking her in their direction. Aurora toppled to the ground a second time, dazed.

She quickly shot back to her feet, prepared to make a run for it– but that was when she realized there wasn't anywhere else to go.

The culprit had evidently guessed her next move, positioning himself on the opposite side of the hall just as she'd escaped the constrictai. He'd grabbed onto her suit with a strength that was far from human, throwing her into one of the rooms in the corridor.

Even with the blood staining his nose and lips, he stood before her with a gleaming, triumphant smile. Directly behind him stood five serpentine, their collective gazes furiously locked on her.

Aurora clenched her jaw as her eyes landed on the serpentine's shared apparel, taking notice of an all-too-familiar symbol located on their shoulder patches.

Aurora had been right after all.

The culprit was exactly who they'd been looking for– this was his very gang itself.

Aurora felt her throat dry as she recognized her predicament. A feeling of hopelessness settled in her body as her communicator erupted to life again, but the words on the other end of the line had become nothing more than static the second she had entered the room.

Clearly, Aurora's team wasn't the only one hunting tonight.

The culprit gestured for one of the serpentine to close the door, leaving her completely cornered.

"Don't say I didn't warn you." He grinned viciously. "I may have been lying tonight, but I wasn't then."

"I'm the most dangerous person here."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.6K 319 35
(Tw- Murder, death, etc.) ✿"Have you seen a girl who is named (Y/n) that has (H/c), (E/c) and has a little bit of a red stripe in her hair?" "You mea...
6.9K 359 28
"This world is a sick place. It is overflown with sick people who act out their sick intentions without sparing any thoughts to the ones that might g...
9.7K 241 16
The Smith siblings, Kai and Nya, together with their little foster brother, Lloyd, try to survive their difficult life with their abusive foster pare...
2.8K 153 7
➛ Y/N, a fixture in the annals of Ninjago's fame, cuts an enviable figure. Known for their boundless fortune, fanbase, and the seemingly effortless w...