๐“๐“ผ ๐“ฆ๐“ฎ ๐“›๐“ช๐”‚

By SUPAAMAZEN

Denise "Niecy" Davis, had it made....Or so she thought. When she gets the inkling that her husband-to-be isn'... More

The Re-up
Ch.1: Suspicious Woman
Ch.2: Two Can Play That Game
Ch.3: Disrespectful
Ch.4: So I Creep
Ch.5: Another Notch On My Belt
Ch.6: Ring Off
Ch.7: N***a's Ain't S**t!
Ch.8: Bomb Dropped
Ch.9: Solo Dolo
Ch.10: It's a Long Story
Ch.11: What a Rush
Ch.12: Crazy Kind of Day
Ch. 13: Daddy Issues
Ch. 14: Always By Your Side
Ch.15: F**ked Around & Found Out
Ch.16: The Truth After The Lies
Ch.17: I Fear
Ch.18: Teenage Love Affair
Ch.19: Straight Up
Ch. 20: Off
Ch. 21: Behold
Ch. 22: Good Times
Ch. 23: Focus
Ch. 25: Keep Your Head Up
Ch. 26: The Optics
Ch. 27: Shock

Ch. 24: All Bad

367 14 5
By SUPAAMAZEN

I don't know why I had the sudden urge to stay home today, but I followed my first mind & did it. I tried to convince Maurice to stay home as well & us having an 'extended' weekend, trying to play the bad vibes off as something happy, but he wasn't going for it. I had no other choice but to tell him the real. So I told him about the bad feeling I had surrounding us leaving the house & that we all should just stay home & start fresh Tuesday. I even made Nevaeh miss school today, but he thought I was bugging & went to work anyway.

So all day, it was just me & my two love bugs. Lounging around with a messy bun, one of Maurice's tank tops & some sweats. Vaeh was still in her pajamas & Halo was in a onesie, that was about to get changed into another one, since he made this one a filthy mess like the last two. Big chilling! My favorite type of carrying on. Most of my day was filled with snacks, changing the cartoon on TV fifty lem times, coloring, drawing, playing "Superhero Princess saves the day" & being the damsel and distress. Followed by diaper changes, feedings & trying to keep a six month old baby in his hearing aids.

I was exhausted as hell, but I was loving every minute of it. I was still, six months going on seven, in awe at the fact that I had two kids & seeing Nevaeh doting on her baby brother just made my heart swell & burst. She was such a great big sister to him. I sat on the couch in the midst of changing the TV to something else again, when I got a glimpse of her gently removing his hands from his hearing aids & redirecting his attention to his toys. So thoughtful. I stood up from the couch to stretch & to go grab all three of us a snack.

"Vaeh, you want some chips or something outta the kitchen? I'm heading that way" I asked. She handed Halo a plushie, that he immediately put straight in his mouth before she looked my way.

"Um, I want strawberries instead of chips, Mommy" she replied, returning her attention to her brother.

"Ok then, healthy!" I chuckled as I made my way to the kitchen. "Daddy should be home soon, so I'm gonna start prepping dinner. That means you're only getting a few. I don't want you to spoil your appetite!" I shouted loudly enough for her to hear me with the distance between us.

"Ok Mommy!" she shouted back. I smirked as I grabbed the cutting board, placing it on the counter en route to the refrigerator. I put some music on, on my phone as I normally would to chop her strawberries & to start prep for dinner. Once I had her small bowl full, I popped one in my mouth as I headed back her way.

"Here you go baby. Share with your brother, don't give him any big pieces. He only has one & half teeth" I said with a mouthful & a smile. She giggled as she reached for the bowl, I bent down more to help her reach it & to kiss her forehead. As I made my way back to the kitchen, I felt my phone vibrating in my sweats back pocket. Which reminded me that I needed to take my phone off silent. I pulled it out & saw that it was Mama Sheryl calling me.

"Hey Mama" I answered gleefully & put the phone on speaker, so I could get to deboning the rotisserie chicken. It was a short cut my mother taught me, instead of thawing out chicken breast & cooking it. I was in a great mood, until the panic in Mama Sheryl's voice caught my attention. She sounded distraught & seemed to be crying. So much so that her words were choppy & damn near inaudible.

"H-He...They rushed...Maurice. Maur-My baby. Niecy. Maurice!" she cried and shouted on the other end & just hearing his name & her tone, I instantly went into panic mode.

"Calm down Mama, what's going on with Maurice?!" I ended up shouting trying my damnedest to remain as calm as possible, but I was failing. My heart instantly sank the minute she opened her mouth, but before she could utter another word I was getting a call from an unknown number & clicked over to answer it.

"Are you Denise Howard, Maurice Howard's wife?" the man asked calmly but even with his cool & calm demeanor I was becoming more frantic by the second.

"I am, what's happened to my husband?!" I frantically asked, feeling my breathing getting faster & faster the longer they took to respond.

"He was attacked inside a parking garage & was rushed to a hospital downtown. He gave us two numbers before he passed out again. Sheryl Daniels, is his mother, we already got in contact with her--" he tried to go on but I cut him off.

"What hospital?!"

The way I sped to my parents house to drop the kids off, you would've thought I was apart of the fast & furious franchise. Immediately they started asking me a thousand & one questions that I didn't have the answers to or the time to talk about it & shamefully, I disrespectfully shouted & cursed at them. Leaving them no time to react, but instead taking the kids before I ran back to my car to fly to the hospital.

My mind was like my engine, on horse power. Trying to wrap my head around the fact that someone attacked my husband. I didn't even know if he was ok. If he was alive. Unconscious, conscious or in a coma. I knew nothing! I rushed off the phone to hurry & get to him. I'm pretty sure I was parked in two spots when I finally made it to the hospital but that was the least of my concern. I had to get to him! The motion sensor doors made way for me as I rushed to the receptionist desk area, looking around to see if anyone familiar may have been there but there was no one.

"Maurice Howard, what room is he in?!" I rudely asked but before she could answer me, Mama Sheryl came sobbing out of the waiting area. She embraced me as I began to sob so hard, just scared of the unknown. I saw two officers, they looked to be Detectives, coming our way & damn near passed out from the fear I felt to my core. Me & Mama separated, both seemingly holding our breath awaiting maybe the bad news, but who was to say?

"I'm Detective Washington & this is my partner Detective Walsh. We're investigating the attack on your husband" he extended his hand out to me, but I couldn't bring myself to shake it. He balled his lips, nodding & directed his attention over to his partner, who was a woman. I guess he figured she'd be better off talking to me, but honestly I didn't give a fuck about whatever this was at the moment. I just wanted to get to Maurice.

"Your husband is currently in surgery & is looking to be ok--" she started, but impatiently I cut her off wanting her to skip all the fluff & just give it to me straight.

"Surgery?!" Mama & I asked in unison.

"Surgery for what?!" I continued on, wanting so desperately to know how my husband was doing. I was glad to hear he was alive, but yet here I was still in this fucking waiting room & not with him. I was over it, I NEEDED to be by his side. To see his chest rise & fall with each breath he took. To hold his hand and feel the pressure of his grip on mine. To look at his face...That handsome face that I have adored since I was five. I needed to see my baby, my best friend. The love of my life. The father of every child I have ever been pregnant with. My twin flame & my kindred spirit! Yet and still, I remained in this waiting room!

"That I don't know, but the doctors should be coming down to inform you shortly" the two Detectives made eye contact before she continued. "We just have a few questions we'd like you to answer, so that we can get whoever has done this off of the streets...Does your husband have any known enemies?" she asked with a lifted brow, pad & pen in her hands awaiting a response. For whatever reason, maybe due to my stress, that rubbed me the wrong way.

"Are you fuckin' serious?! He's a broker, that works downtown at a prestigious law firm...He was literally brought a fuckin' block away from where he works...You're asking me that bullshit like he's some kind of gangsta or-or some drug lord or some shit..."

"Mrs. Howard, we're simply just trying to do our job...It's not about race. I'm a black man as well, as you can see. We just want to narrow our search down, if possible" Detective Washington interjected.

"Well he doesn't. He doesn't bother anyone, he's real low-key & chill, he's always been that way. I'm the one that will pop off. All he does is work, and be with me & our kids. Sometimes he may have a drink or two with a few friends and maybe some colleagues but other than that, nothing."

"Has he ever gotten into any altercations while out with his friends? Ever told you about anything?" Detective Walsh asked, never looking up from her notepad.

"No..." I trailed, trying to recall any time we've had issues with anyone. The only two I could think of at the top of my head and checking other mothers after school didn't count, were Lex & Matthew. That's literally it. I beat Lex up a few weeks ago & he beat Matthew up months back.

"Wait...He did get into a fight with his father five months ago. They're estranged" I added, watching her write that down.

"What's his father's name?" she asked, her pen ready to jot the rest down as well.

"Matthew Howard" Mama Sheryl answered and we glanced at each other, then back at the Detectives.

"Can you also look into Alexis Rogers. Might also go by Alexis Pete. She & I had an altercation a few weeks ago" I said as I folded my arms, putting my weight on one hip.

"What kind of altercation. Verbal? Physical?" Detective Walsh asked, finally making eye contact with me.

"I beat her ass" I replied matter-of-factly. Both Detectives lifted both brows with a surprised look on their faces at my bold statement. Det. Washington tried to conceal a snicker but we all heard it.

"You think she'd harm your husband?" he quizzed and I shrugged my shoulders before replying to him.

"I don't put anything past anyone...She's the petty type. Probably couldn't get to me, so that left him. I could be wrong, but I don't want any stone left unturned" I shrugged again.

"The assailants were male according to eye witnesses, so maybe she didn't, but we'll look into it" he paused, he & Det. Walsh looking at each other once again. "We thank you ladies for your time. Once Mr. Howard is up & alert we'll be back to ask him a few questions as well, if he's up to it. You ladies take care" he finished, shaking our hands before he & his partner headed for the door.

We slowly walked back to the waiting room, me finally being able to take a seat. I put my head into my hands & sighed at the current situation. I wanted to cry again but I held back, instead I just wanted to get lost in my thoughts. Try to think of happy times, to mask the dreadful sadness, that I just felt cloaked in. Mama Sheryl rubbed my back when I leaned forward, resting my elbows on my knees & gently rocking. Never in my wildest dreams did I think this would happen
That I'd be sitting in a waiting room, waiting to hear the damage done to a loved one. It kinda reminded me of that time back in high school, when he got into a fight with James Arnold. He didn't end up in the hospital, but he did get beat up pretty badly. The same fat motha fucka that ran his mouth about us...

Summer 2008

I jumped on Maurice's bed, kicking my shoes off before I got even more comfortable. He was chapters deep into 'The Autobiography of Malcolm X', enthralled in it & ignoring me. I watched his eyes scanning over the pages as he continued to read & snatched the book right outta his hands. He huffed & sucked his teeth before he chuckled, closing his eyes & laying his head back against his headboard.

"What, Denise?!" he asked, annoyed but finally giving me the attention I so wanted. I laughed at him before I scooted closer to him, laying my head on his bony chest.

"Not the government! Anyway, I came over here so we can have some fun" I grinned.

"Yeah, well I'm fresh outta rubbers because of your freak nasty ass. So we can't do that until I can buy some more & I don't get paid for another three days....So" he shrugged.

"Shut up!" I shouted, hitting him in his arm with my fist, but not hard. I sat up on my knees, squinting my eyes at him. "I didn't even come over here for all of that...Though it would be nice & your money management sucks ass my dude...I came bearing gifts" I replied, wiggling my eye brows at him. He laughed some more & sat up, turning to look at me face to face.

"Gifts?!" he asked with a raised brow. I dug into my pocket & pulled a dime bag of weed out, placing it in the small space between us. He grabbed it, examining it, leaping off of the bed to go to his dresser. He grabbed his rolling papers out of his top drawer & emptied the crushed nugget up into one. I saw him bend down to smell it, lifting it up, then smelling it again. It was silent for a bit before his laughter cut through the air once more.

"Maaaan. Where'd you get this "weed" from?" he laughed while doing air quotations, when he turned around to face me again. I twisted my face in confusion and rolled my eyes.

"Why does it matter? Roll that shit up & spark it, my nigga" I demanded, to his continuous laughter.

"So it can smell like I'm cooking in this bitch? Yo, whoever sold you this shit, stalled your ass out. It's oregano" he stated as he dusted his hands off.

"What is that a new name for weed or some shit?" I asked with confusion lanced in every word. I jumped outta the bed, meeting him at his dresser where he put some in his hand for me to smell. Sure enough, it was oregano & not the OG Kush I was promised. I sucked my teeth & folded my arms over my chest, I even added in a stomp to further show my irritation.

"I paid $20 for that bullshit" I stated angrily. He bucked his eyes at me & shook his head.

"Twenty dollars?! You paid $20 for a dime bag?! They knew you were green. Lollipop. A sucka--"

"Alright, I get it motha fucka. Shut up with all this damn laughing at me" I shoved him away from me only for him to come back, grabbing me and making me fall back on his full size bed. He kissed my cheek & chuckled more against it.

"Leave the weed buying to me, Niecy" he laughed some more further annoying me. We sat in silence, watching his ceiling fan go around & around. He nestled his nose into my neck & put his hand on my stomach, like he was getting ready to take a nap. "But for real though. Who sold you that shit?" he asked me, his eyes still closed, pulling me closer to him.

"James" I replied, making him instantly sit up & frown at me.

"Motha fuckin' James?! Niecy we don't fuck with that nigga. You know that. That fat bitch played you" he shouted as he got back up from the bed, going over to his closet to get his shoes. I knew whatever his intentions were, they weren't good because he pulled out his black Air Force Ones.

"I mean, Rhonda said she bought weed from him before & it was legit. We smoked that shit & was faded for hours. I didn't think he'd play me...And what you mean we don't fuck with him? He's literally on your football team."

"And that's it. I don't speak to his ass at all. After he ran his mouth about us to everybody, he was dead to me. I thought that shit was mutual, but I guess not" he replied as he snatched his car keys off a nail in his wall.

"C'mon Reese, I don't even talk to him like that. I just bought some weed, it's really not that big of a deal" I pleaded following close behind him, never having time to put my shoes on.

"Where are you going anyway?"

"To get your money back. Stay here or you can go home, but you ain't coming with me!" he shouted from the drivers side of his car. I twisted my lips and reached for the passenger side door, pulling the handle but it was locked.

"I said you're not coming Niecy. I got this. Now chill out!" I backed away from the car & stood on the curb watching him speed away down the street. Not even a minute had passed before Mama Sheryl pulled into the driveway.

"Was that Maurice driving like a bat out of hell?" she asked me as she closed her car door, after grabbing a few grocery bags out the passenger seat. I walked over to her & took a few from her to help her out.

"It was" I answered dryly, walking back to the house & holding the front door open with my foot so she could enter.

"Where is he going?" she sat down in a chair & sighed.

"To do something stupid" I replied, placing the bags on the dining room table. I began removing a few items & taking them over to the kitchen, while she sat up to remove her shoes. I knew she had a long day at work, working over night at the hospital, so I wanted to help out as much as I could. Especially seeing as her big headed son wasn't around.

"Well, I'll deal with him later on that...That child of mine has a temper like his father. Real cool dude, just don't get on his bad side" she spilled. I never knew much about his Dad outside of the few things she would say from time to time. As far as I know, he was a deadbeat & never around. Maurice never talked much about him & when he did, it was to talk down on him. I came back to the dining table after putting everything away & going to his room to retrieve my shoes, that I put on, on my way back down the hall.

"Well that's everything. I gotta get home now. Can you tell Maurice to call me when he gets back?"

"Thank you baby & if I'm awake when he returns, I definitely will tell him" she replied, yawning and standing up so she could hug me. After our embrace, I left out of the house to start my two block walk home. When I finally made it home, I was greeted by the smell of Steak, meaning my mom's boyfriend was here.

"Denise, that you?!" she shouted from the kitchen. I rolled my eyes, because I knew she was about to ask me to come here & I'd most likely have to meet him & I absolutely detested meeting new people. I made my way to the kitchen, where I saw him sitting at the table reading a book & my mom bringing a plate to him.

"Ma'am?" I leaned against the threshold of the kitchen, fixing one of the twisted gold necklaces around my neck, before giving her eye contact. She turned to me and smiled, then looked down at her man.

"I made dinner...Also, I'd like you to meet Earl. My, uh" she paused and looked down at him again. I could tell she was smitten with him. I wasn't like all those cliche ass teens that didn't want their parents dating. I was happy she found a guy that she had a lot in common with. I got tired of her belittling herself by sleeping with my dad whenever he wanted some, and leaving in the middle of the night so he wouldn't have to be a father in the morning.

"Your boyfriend" I finished for her. I walked over to him & shook his hand. "Nice to meet you Mr. Earl, my mom is always talking about you. It's nice to finally put a face to the name" he looked up at my mom & smiled at my slight slip of information, kissing her hand & winking at her.

"She does the same about you. You're her world" he smiled warmly at me, making me blush. Just then the house phone rang, so I excused myself to go answer it.

"Hello"

"Girl, why the fuck did Maurice just get the brakes beat off of him by James?! He put up a good fight, but that nigga literally sat on him & it was a wrap after that!" Rhonda shouted on the other end. I could hear some commotion in the background, a lot of people shouting.

"Stop playing."

"Bitch, I wish I was. James decked his ass clean in his eye. That shit swollen. Maurice got in his car & drove away after that. He ain't picking up his house phone either and that nigga cellphone got broke. You heard from him?"

"No, I told his as--butt not to mess with him. He went to go get my money back after that nigga James played me with the weed he sold me..."

"Well you might wanna check on him. That shit looked like it hurt like a motha fucka."

"Man, alright. I'm about to walk back over there. He might be home by now" I said as I hung up, putting the phone back on hook.

"Ma!" I shouted en route back to the kitchen. "Can I use your car to go to Maurice's? It's dark out & I don't wanna walk."

"Yes, but Denise I swear you better not wreck my car. You're not on my insurance & I'm not trying to pay more for your mess up" she pointed at me while sitting on Earl's lap, caressing his head with her other hand as he ate his food.

"I'm not gonna wreck your car, Mama. I'm literally about to drive around the corner."

"You'd be surprised at how many car crashes happen close to home. It's actually more common than you think."

"Gah lee, Mama. I'm not gonna wreck it!" I shouted as I headed for the door. I got into her car & hightailed it to Maurice. When I pulled up, I seen his car parked next to his Mom's, so I got out. I knocked and Mama Sheryl opened the door & stepped aside to allow me entry. Without saying any words, she knew why I was here. I walked back to his room, where I found him laying on his bed, with an ice pack to his eye.

"Reese" I called out to him, he lifted his head and looked at me, before putting it back down on his pillow.

"Look, I already know ok, you don't have to say I told you so...."

"I wasn't. I just came to make sure you were good" I walked over to his bed, getting onto it. "Lemme see" I lifted the eye pack & saw that Rhonda made it seem more than it was. His eye was black & a little swollen but not as bad as she made it seem, which I should've known better with her dramatic ass.

"Bitch ass got lucky. Somebody distracted me & he sucka punched me...I didn't get your money back either, but that's alright because I'm gonna get it" he adjusted the ice pack & I rolled my eyes at his little declaration.

"Maurice, dead that shit alright. I don't even care anymore. It's $20."

"Nah, cause if I let him slide on this he'll think this shit cool and it's not. I can't let him play you like that" he said as he removed the ice pack to really look me in the eyes. I could tell he was embarrassed about losing the fight, but I thought him being fine was better. It could've been worse and it wasn't, so I was thankful.

"Ok, but I'm the one he did it to & I'm over it. So I want you to let it go too. I don't need you walking around looking like Martin in that one episode if you're gonna continue being my man" I joked, making him laugh. Successfully lightening the mood. He laughed a good laugh before he sighed & put the ice pack back on.

"Next time, bob & weave, boo....Hell, duck!" I continued & he laughed even harder...

Present Day...

I wiped my eyes, shaking my leg still waiting for someone to come tell us something. I heard double doors open & doctor step into view looking around.

"Family of Maurice Howard" he called out, looking over his clipboard and around the waiting area. I immediately stood up, rushing over to him.

"Hi, I'm his wife Denise and this is his mother. Sheryl"

"Well wonderful news ladies, he's gonna be ok. He does have a few cracked ribs, bruised kidneys & a concussion but over time those will heal" he informed us & I breathed a sigh of relief hearing the news. Though I still hated that this even happened in the first place.

"Can we see him?"

"You sure can. He's a little out of it from the pain medicine we gave him, but he's awake. Follow me" he replied, turning on his heels to walk back to his room. Walking down the hall felt like that zoom effect they do in cartoons, making short distances seem longer. I had already been waiting for what felt like an eternity to get back here and it felt like they put him in the deepest part of the hospital. The doctor finally stopped in front of a door and knocked before pushing the handle down to open it.

"Mr. Howard, your wife and mother are here to see you" he said in a cheerful tone, Maurice immediately turned from looking out the window to looking at us and as soon as I saw the damage to his face, I broke.

"Don't cry baby. I'm alright, come here" he said as he reached his hand out for me. I walked as fast as my feet could take me to grab it. I sat down on the bed as he wrapped his strong arms around me and feeling the pressure from his hug brought a calm feeling over me. He kissed my face, reaching for his mom to come closer. She wrapped her arms around the both of us & we all sat there just crying. Grateful that he was ok, but hating what was done & why he was here. Whatever the case was, whoever did this to him was gonna pay. Be it, through the cops or through me!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.2K 726 20
sequel to traitor
183K 4.2K 31
Just read๐Ÿญ
290K 10.7K 63
She never thought she would find someone that she could fall so fast in love with. He changed everything. He showed her that she could have someone...
35.4K 1.2K 37
WARNING: A very smutty story based on a very smutty dream. What started as something simple turned into something uncontrollable.