The Panther's IronHeart (Shur...

By Sapphire4340

One year after the events of Black Panther Wakanda Forever Riri leaves Wakanda to continue her studies back a... More

Prologue
One Year Later
Internal Affairs
Don't Freeze
Lab Partners
The Dinner
The Unexpected
You Can't Be Trusted
The Only Way
Am I an Avenger?
Stay With Me
Aftermath

Inner Thoughts

887 18 68
By Sapphire4340

Riri fought for sleep the entire night as she thought about what had transpired in the lab. It took everything to force Shuri out of the lab because everyone knew she would have stayed all night reviewing the audio files. However, Riri was more convincing with the Dora Milaje as they promised Shuri that she could work in the morning.

One of the main reasons that Riri couldn't get sleep was that she set the alarm every time Shuri tried to leave her bedroom. Griot would loudly announce multiple times throughout the night 'Miss Williams the Princess is in the hallway moving towards the lab.' And with every attempt, Riri would use her kimoyo bracelet and force Shuri to go back into her room.

Riri eventually awoke with the Wakandan sunrise after getting a couple of hours of sleep without Griot's voice and she was grateful that Shuri finally gave up around three in the morning.

'Miss Williams the Princess is in the hallway moving towards the lab,'

This time instead of stopping Shuri, Riri disconnected the alarm and made her way into the bathroom to shower and wash her hair. After finishing Riri detangled her hair and rebraided her hair down, the engineer appreciated how the products in Wakanda made her hair feel softer and more moisturized than any products she has ever used in America. She put on her gray lab jumpsuit and all-white sneakers.

Riri's mind felt surprisingly quiet after everything that was revealed the night before. The blankness in her mind terrified her but she knew that once she stepped out of her room there would be no more quiet. No more time for reflections.

Once Riri stepped out of her room and into the lab she needed to be strong not only for Wakanda.

But for Shuri.

The moment she stepped out of her room her emotions were going to be pushed to the side.

Riri opened her bedroom door and made her way to the lab taking the long way toward the shuttle. Once the shuttle doors opened signaling to Riri that she reached the destination reality hit her like a ton of bricks once she walked through the beautiful graffiti hall toward the lab and she heard her voice echoing through the halls.

'So forgive me, friend, if I am a bit overwhelmed seeing you after everything that happened don't get me wrong you look amazing and you haven't changed at all which isn't a bad thing it's just ugh...'

Riri's face instantly flushed after hearing herself projected through the lab speakers.

Shuri was sitting in front of the holographic screen listening intently to every word. Her presence was void of all emotions giving Riri flashbacks from a year ago when she was tirelessly recreating the heart-shaped herb. She was laser-focused on her task of deciphering anything that could have been leaked.

Riri quietly walked towards Shuri not wanting to interrupt her concentration.

"Did you at least get some sleep last night,"

Shuri paused the audio not turning to acknowledge the young engineer before she said "Yes, I slept for a couple of hours but I was restless throughout the night and someone refused to let me go to the lab,"

Riri could tell from Shuri's tone that she wasn't annoyed with her. The playfulness in her voice meant that she could tell the older scientist was grateful. Though Riri wasn't in a playful mood right now due to her exhaustion she was just as determined to analyze these audio files along with Shuri.

"What have you found?"

Riri was straight to the point as Shuri glanced up at her as she thought for a moment before she answered "Nothing much the audio files start from when I first gave you back the earrings in Virginia,"

"Dope, well it looks like we'll be here a while so go ahead and play it two sets of ears are better than one right,"

Shuri nodded in agreement as the audio started up again. It was just the two of them in the lab this early in the morning which was preferred so that there wasn't much noise.

'You're lucky I like you Riri, I wouldn't take this kind of treatment from anyone else,'

Riri's facial expressions were stoic listening to these conversations back right next to Shuri. It was knowing that one hundred and ninety-three other countries heard the same thing had her more disturbed. Also, neither of the women commented on the conversations not wanting to miss anything of critical importance.

Riri thought she would feel embarrassed hearing these audios but she was so focused on what was being said and glancing at Shuri she was mirroring Riri's actions the same her emotions were not visible in the slightest which Riri was fine with.

'You don't have to say anything, after everything that you did for Wakanda I don't see a reason why you can't make this your home away from home,'

"You know I meant that right?"

Riri turned her head hearing Shuri's voice and she softly smiled as she realized that she was commenting on the audio

"Yeah, I know Shuri," Riri said with a small smile

'I need to record some samples of the new heart-shaped herb seedlings I need to make sure they won't corrupt the already existing plantlife,'

Shit.

At this audio, Riri looked up in concern, completely forgetting that this day that Shuri and herself ran tests with the heart-shaped herb. Riri could sense Shuri's nerves next to her; this was something that could be bad.

"Do you remember what we said?" Riri asked her voice coming out shakily

"No, but we'll find out shortly,"

'So you're telling me I can't have even a little bit of the herb I'm kind of jealous of all your strength,'

Riri listened intently as her voice from the audio filled the lab as she remembered the conversation as clear as day

~ ~

Shuri laughed next to Riri as she continued to extract some samples from the new seedlings while putting the extracted substance into a flask as she swirled it around.

"That's exactly what I'm telling you the herb would probably kill you if I'm being honest,"

Riri huffed slightly and tilted her head while she wrote down some data that Griot was pulling up on the screen. Shuri must have seen her playful frustration as she explained further

"The reason is that the only people that can harness the power of the Black Panther have to come from the bloodline of Bashenga. He started the royal bloodline when he united the five tribes together,"

Riri was shocked to hear about the history of the Black Panther. She was unaware of the historical backstory of the Wakandan people and she grinned brightly knowing that Shuri shared this with her.

"Ah, it was worth a shot right we both can't be insanely strong,"

Shuri shook her head as she simply smiled focusing on her task "I need your eyes on the paper in front of you Riri, Griot is giving you some good measurements,"

Riri didn't realize that she was staring so intensely at Shuri until she was called out. "You got it, Princess,"

~ ~

Riri's heart dropped hearing this conversation back again as she turned to Shuri, and the Princess' body visibly relaxed.

"Why are you so relaxed? Isn't this a bad thing like insider knowledge or some shit?"

While Riri was panicking, Shuri leaned back in her seat and shook her head, and smiled "Because this information was already disclosed to the United Nations years ago. They wanted to utilize the heart-shaped herb as a way to compromise for vibranium, but my brother explained that the herb couldn't be consumed by just anyone and because Killmonger had already destroyed the remaining herbs at that time my brother was the last living Black Panther,"

Riri saw how Shuri spoke of the memory she no longer felt grief when speaking about her brother

"They knew that I recreated the herb but they are fully aware they can't use it even if they wanted to so that is why their main focus was on vibranium,"

The young engineer relaxed her body once Shuri explained nothing was given away.

'So how did your unexpected council meeting go?'

Fuck. Riri instantly wanted to throw up having to listen to their fight again. She wanted to push this memory away.

'Riri why would you say that? Your life matters more to me than anything if it hadn't I would have let Namor kill you last year saving me all this trouble,'

Riri turned to Shuri and she could see the Princess' body stiffen again listening to this conversation was making her uncomfortable

"Hey, Shuri, I know we never got a chance to talk about this but don't feel bad I was being an ass I know you didn't mean any of this,"

"It was still a bullshit thing to say. Riri I really am sorry,"

Riri's full attention was completely on Shuri

"Stop, you have nothing to be sorry for. Yeah, it was hurtful to hear but it's the truth also your mom protected me with the same conviction that you did. She treated me like I was her own. Remember I know you don't blame me or your mom's actions. You were exhausted that night Shuri and I cornered you with some shit that I didn't need to. I forgive you Shuri,"

Shuri was still looking at the floor not meeting Riri's eyes

"Hey Princess, can you look at me, please?"

At the use of Shuri's nickname, she visibly relaxed and gazed up at Riri.

"See, isn't my face much cuter than the floor?"

Shuri softly chuckled as she couldn't contain the smile that spread across her face

"Ewe kunjalo," Shuri said softly

"Mr. Griot, can you tell me what Shuri just said please?"

'Yes, Miss. Williams the princess said 'Of course, it is' Would that be all that you need to be translated?'

Riri kept her eyes on Shuri raising her eyebrows "Thank you Mr. Griot,"

"Out of everything that you heard me say in Xhosa that's the first thing you wanted translated?" Shuri asked in amazement

"Yeah, everything else I can get out of you eventually but you're gonna learn how to stop dodging my questions speaking in Xhosa,"

"Does my Xhosa bother you?"

And just like that as natural as breathing the intense tension was broken with their banter once again.

"On the contrary, I love it actually,"

"Well, I'll start using it more often just for you Riri,"

Riri unexpectedly laughed as her cheeks slowly flushed at Shuri's teasing "But jokes aside can we get past that fight please?"

"Yeah, I would like that,"

"But sadly on a more serious note. Did they know about Namor?"

"No, they didn't know his name, but Everett Ross told me that the American government bugged my kimoyo beads from the first time the Talokans first attacked us in Cambridge last year and they are aware of another civilization of people but they still have no idea where they are,"

'Mom, are you alright? Why do you have blood on your clothes?'

Riri's attention quickly went back to the audio of when she ran back into her mother's room

~ ~

Riri noticed the blood before she was alone with her mother but she didn't want to have the conversation in front of so many people.

"These men opened fire at the hospital when the women in red showed up to bring me to Wakanda. There were so many injured and I am not sure how many casualties there were,"

Her mother's words pierced through Riri as she tried to comprehend everything all at once

"What men?"

"I'm not sure who they were but they were arresting me. They said it had to do with you and I didn't know what to do so I just thought it would be better to follow their orders so I could help you. I had no idea you were no longer in the country at the time,"

"Mom I'm so sorry we'll figure this out... This is my fault-"

At this, her mother hushed her immediately "Absolutely not. You aren't putting anyone's death on yourself, do you understand me Riri?"

Riri softly nodded as her mother scolded her

"Have you been doing anything that would warrant anyone to start this search up for you again?"

"No ma'am just rebuilding my suit but you already know that,"

"Then none of this is your fault, sweetheart, I have no idea why those men decided to endanger the lives of so many people but you're right I know that everything will come to light,"

Riri continued to look down at the floor

"But Mom, the reason that they targeted you was because Shuri rescued me from the US government. I tried to run from them days ago. They raided MIT and they threatened my life if I didn't come with them. Mom, they wanted me to build another vibranium detector for them and I refused and they used you as collateral to try to get me to break,"

It was silent for a moment before her mother responded,

"I'm so proud of you Riri."

Riri instantly looked at her mother with tears in her eyes "But I-"

"No you are so brave Riri I had no idea. I knew that you should have never left Chicago to go back to MIT but I am so grateful to Shuri for saving you," her mother hugged her daughter

"I love you, Mom,"

"I love you so much more munchkin,"

Riri hated her nickname but she didn't care since her mother's hug felt like the biggest in the world. She felt lighter talking everything out with her mother but the anger still resonated in her since her mother was in the middle of an altercation that could have seriously injured her.

"Hey, Mom let's grab some breakfast I know you're hungry,"

~ ~

After all of the audio finished Riri was silent

"I need to find a time to talk to my mom about what happened at the hospital I'm sure it was traumatizing she refuses to talk about it,"

"Ayo she told me about the attack the next morning and I didn't know how to bring it up to you so when you brought it up to Everett Ross it was a bit of a shock,"

'I don't know what you did to these earrings with this new update but we need to run a system analysis on them,'

The remaining audio files after this was cut due to Shuri destroying the earrings and disassembling the core.

"So nothing of importance was leaked. Thank Bast,"

As if on cue M'Baku walked into the lab making his way to the two women.

"Shuri, I heard what happened. Did you finish listening to the files?"

Shuri stood meeting M'Baku as his warming presence calmed Riri even though the situation was anything but.

"We just finished listening to everything the only vital piece of information was that I said Namor's name but that was all,"

"Glory to Haruman, nothing else was said. Shuri I know that you wanted to call a meeting with the elders and they are on their way but Shuri I have to warn you that this meeting will not be good for you. I think that you should stay back from this one,"

"No, M'Baku, I need to face them. They already don't think that I'm fit to be the Black Panther. So hiding from their scrutiny would do nothing except confirm that. I'll be fine, I will just try my best to explain."

Riri didn't like how Shuri's voice sounded defeated. She was calm but Riri could tell Shuri was nervous

"Shuri, are you sure about this?"

M'Baku's voice was filled with concern

"I'm sure M'Baku let's go head to the council room and meet them there,"

As Shuri started to walk alongside M'Baku Riri instantly stood up from her chair and rushed towards the princess softly gripping her bicep. Shuri turned to Riri and her gaze held an emotion that she hadn't seen in a long time. Disappointment.

"Shuri you don't have to endure their anger you didn't do anything wrong,"

"I appreciate your concern Riri but everything will be alright if I explain that nothing was exposed then they will be fine,"

Shuri smiled at Riri trying to appease her nerves but Riri could tell that the smile wasn't genuine.

Shuri was nervous Riri could tell. But instead of fighting her on it, Riri let go of Shuri's arm.

"I'll be out in a bit okay,"

"Yeah,"

Riri watched M'Baku and Shuri's figures leaving the lab and once she was alone that is when her frustration peaked. Seeing Shuri, and hearing the disappointment in her voice was too much for Riri. She knew that the elders were going to blame Shuri for everything as if she already wasn't doing it herself.

Riri started pacing the lab trying to steady her breathing but nothing was working. Shuri needed to know that there was someone in her corner actively fighting for her. She knew M'Baku was on her side but Shuri didn't need silent support; she needed someone defending her when she felt most alone and it was in that council room. Because the elders were going to be brutal on Shuri and she didn't deserve it.

Before Riri could talk herself out of it her legs were moving out of the lab.

~ ~

"SEE JUST AS I SUSPECTED SHE HAS FAILED YET AGAIN, YOUR JOB AS THE BLACK PANTHER IS TO ENSURE WAKANDA'S SAFETY AND YOU ARE WILLING TO SACRIFICE ALL OF US FOR ONE AMERICAN SHURI I DON'T UNDERSTAND,"

The screams were beginning to sound less intense to Shuri as she began to feel the hollow emptiness from her failure. The relentless yelling from the elders was suffocating her and she was starting to become numb to it.

"If you would just let me explain-"

"NO! THERE IS NOTHING MORE THAT YOU CAN SAY, PRINCESS YOU CAN NOT JUSTIFY YOUR ACTIONS WITH AN EXPLANATION NOT THIS TIME!"

Shuri glanced at M'Baku silently pleading for him to step in

"Everyone please calm down if you would just let the Panther explain herself-"

The elders were not budging

"KING M'BAKU WE KNOW YOU FAVOR THE PRINCESS BUT YOU MUST SEE SHE IS NOT FIT TO BE OUR PROTECTOR SHE IS NOT HER BROTHER OR HER FATHER THEY COULD LEAD US SHE IS NOT EVEN A FEARSOME DORA MILAJE LIKE OUR LATE QUEEN WAS. SHE IS STILL A CHILD THAT CAN NOT BE TRUSTED WITH THE SAFETY OF WAKANDA. WE WARNED HER GOING AFTER THE GIRL WOULD PUT US AT RISK AND NOW NOT EVEN A COUPLE OF DAYS LATER WE ARE BACK FOR THE EXACT REASON,"

Every word stung Shuri it was as if everything that she had done for Wakanda was completely overlooked. All of her inventions, her scientific discoveries, and how she reshaped Wakanda technologically. Nothing matters. Nothing she did ever mattered and the elders' words confirmed all the insecurities that she had.

"That's completely unfair-"

M'Baku tried to stand up for Shuri but the elders talked over him again

"Enough please," Shuri finally said silencing the room "It's alright M'Baku I'll ask one of our shaman to remove the strength of the black panther away the elders are-"

Suddenly the big doors of the council room burst open as Riri stormed to the middle of the room in front of the four angry elders.

"Alright, I've heard enough," Riri's voice was more aggressive than Shuri had ever heard

"Yintoni lento? (What is this?) How dare you come into this meeting girl-" the merchant elder started to say until she was cut off by Riri again

"Oh, absolutely not you've already said more than enough. And honestly, I think you people love hearing the sound of your voice way too much, but you're going to let someone else speak now."

Shuri was blown away by Riri's quick and fiery words as they cut through the room. She was so distracted that she didn't realize that some of the Dora Milaje were approaching her until Shuri put her hands up stopping the warriors from moving anymore.

The elders were in shock by the theatrics that was taking place.

"King M'Baku this is highly disrespectful to have an American bombard our meeting she could be consorting with the enemy,"

M'Baku's face became slightly amused, and didn't move from his seat to remove Riri "Why is it disrespectful? The same girl that you are insulting risked her life for Wakanda I remember her on the battlefield she fought valiantly, she has every right to be here in my option,"

Shuri's heart was starting the beat loudly in her ears "Riri it's fine the meeting is almost done if you would just wait for me outside,"

"For what? So these old decrepit assholes can continue to drill into you. I heard everything they said and it's all bullshit they wouldn't even let you explain anything. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING was leaked in those audio files, I'm not about to sit back and let them say those horrible things about you Shuri. You matter. Your technological breakthroughs matter. Your unwavering spirit to protect your people. You fucking matter Shuri. Don't let them say anything that makes you feel otherwise. Everything you've done has been to protect Wakanda even after you lost everything and everyone you care about. Don't let them make you think you aren't worthy enough to be the Black Panther because you are Shuri,"

I haven't lost everyone that I care about. Shuri thought

Every word that Riri spoke was enough to take every breath from her lungs. Shuri was on the verge of tears. No one had ever spoken so passionately in her defense before.

"This is ridiculous you have no idea what the princess has done she has endangered us all,"

The elders were not backing down and neither was the heated younger engineer in front of them.

"How has she endangered Wakanda? Because she saved me fine if you want to be mad at someone go ahead and take your frustrations out on me if you want I don't mind but I won't let you talk about Shuri like that,"

"Such fervent passion when you speak of our princess,"

"Yeah? And what about it she has risked everything in the defense of others so why wouldn't I do the same for her? I understand you're frustrated but your anger is misguided. You realize that while this council has been sitting here arguing and complaining about who knows what. Shuri was able to expose the corruption inside the entire United Nations,"

"Which we never wanted to be a part of," the river tribe snapped back

"Which was not Shuri's decision," M'Baku interjected

Shuri remembered how her brother was the bridge for Wakanda to be more involved politically before his death

"Regardless this was inevitable, and instead of fighting about what was already done how about finding a solution to what is to come,"

Shuri was fixated on every word that confidently left Riri's mouth. No matter what the elders were throwing her way she expertly had a different comeback

Eventually, Riri was able to surprisingly calm the elders down enough so that they were ready to listen instead of talk. And before Shuri could say anything to Riri the engineer turned her back and quickly made her way out of the council room leaving everyone in disbelief.

Shuri instantly felt herself move towards the door but M'Baku softly grabbed her arm stopping her movement.

"Shuri I know you want to go after her but you should stay here hopefully we can come to a resolution for all of this,"

"Okay,"

Shuri's mind was all over the place as everyone was no longer arguing but steadily coming up with strategies. However, Riri's speech was replaying in Shuri's brain. She needed to come up with something to say after this meeting was done

~ ~

Holy shit. Riri thought to herself as she raced out of the council room

Riri couldn't believe that she had gone in there and lit a fire under everyone she wasn't planning to be so aggressive but when she heard what they were saying about Shuri the passive approach flew out the window.

She also couldn't stand staying in that room for too long. That was the room where Queen Ramonda was murdered and being in that room brought back every horrific memory from that day. Even while she was defending Shuri could visualize the water bursting through the windows and the cold darkness from sinking. She felt a chill go down her spine. She needed to get away from this area.

So Riri did the only thing her brain could process quickly enough. She ran down the hall toward her mother's room and knocked on her door.

Her mother opened the door and she was in a colorful nightgown made from Wakandan materials. "Riri, what's wrong sweetheart?"

Riri said nothing, she just threw herself in her mother's arms and freely let the tears fall as she tightly gripped her mother's nightgown. Riri wasn't sure how she and her mother ended up on the floor. Also, she could focus on her mother's soft comforting words as she was being rocked gently.

Eventually, Riri calmed down enough for the events of the past couple of hours to pour out. Her mother continued to hug her as she allowed Riri to unload everything until she arrived in front of the door.

"Riri, I can't stress enough how much I am so proud to call you my daughter,"

Her mother's words floated around in her head as she softly smiled

"You know you get this strength from your father,"

"Mom..."

"No, listen your father that the same passion for the people that he loved also it's a beautiful trait to have,"

Love?

"I was just standing up for Shuri mom it's not a big deal,"

Riri could hear her mother's sigh as she shook her head and spoke again "It is though you just sat here and told me how the idea of the council ganging up on Shuri damn near made you sick and you don't think that you don't love Shuri? Come on I gave birth to a genius so don't start acting slow now,"

"Mom me and Shuri aren't-"

"Good Lord child, I never said anything about romantic love. You can still love and care for people without it being romantic. Everything is so black and white with you. I guess that's the perk of having a daughter that's a scientific engineer," her mother continued

"For example my patients at the hospital they-"

Riri's head was in her mother's lap as she waited for her to finish her thought. When her mother suddenly stopped talking Riri's head quickly looked up to find the same glazed emptiness in her mother's eyes.

"Mom, hey talk to me, are you okay?"

Riri watched her mom come back to reality as soon as she heard her voice.

"Oh sorry honey just zoned out for a second there I'm fine,"

"No Mom, you're not fine. This isn't the first time this happened what you experienced at the hospital was extremely traumatic you need to talk about it,"

"I can't...because it makes it real, it makes my failure a reality... I know the nature of my job is that I can't save everyone from their illness but this was different there lives were taken...children nurses that I've worked with for years...gone just like that,"

Riri stayed silent as her mother talked about her trauma. Instinctively Riri held her mother with the same protective grip on the floor. Her mother wasn't crying but her breathing was elevated as if she was about to go into shock so Riri continued to hold her mother until she felt her breathing evened out.

"I got you, Mommy,"

"That isn't your job sweetheart,"

"Yes, it is,"

And for the next couple of hours, Riri sat on the floor with her mother in her embrace as they comforted each other.

After Riri left her mother's room she was emotionally drained and the need to distract herself became overwhelming. Her legs were moving on their own toward Shuri's lab, walking into the lab she immediately went to the second floor and saw her workstation she started to move the vibranium and scrap metal to the floor. Riri silently maneuvered around the lab until she found all the tools that she would need for her design. Grabbing several blank sheets of paper, she began lightly sketching a new attachment to her Wakandan suit. She planned to control the radius of her laser in her arm cannon. Her mind slowly started to become at ease with every stroke of the pen and every difficult equation that she would finish in her head.

Riri was so fixated on her work that when she looked behind her she didn't expect to see Shuri watching her intently. Her breath hitched from the shock of seeing the princess.

"Why are you standing back there not saying, anything stalker?"

Riri teased though her voice sounded strained as she tried to contain her emotions

"I didn't want to disrupt your concentration. I know what it's like to find comfort with work to not have to deal with the outside world,"

Riri gave her an appreciative smile. Of course, she understood.

"Thanks, Shuri, there's just a lot on my mind right now,"

Riri then turned her attention back to her design as she focused on the pieces of metal that she would need to wield. She instantly felt Shuri's presence move closer to her as the princess looked at Riri's design. Instinctively their eyes met into an intense stare.

Riri was going to say something before she froze when she felt Shuri's tattooed hand caressing her face. Before Riri could misread the situation she felt a smooth metal object inside her ear as she gently touched the new vibranium earring. Shuri handed Riri the second earring with a caring smile

"I wanted to give you a brand new set now let's try not to lose this pair,"

Riri couldn't contain her laughter as she put the other earring on and suddenly she heard a familiar voice coming through the speakers

'Hey, kid long time no see. I was wondering where you went off without telling me. But as always Riri good to have you back kiddo,'

Her Tony AI was installed into this new set and she looked at Shuri with so much joy. Her chest felt lighter at that moment.

"Shuri did you install my AI into the earrings,"

"Yes, your design is brilliant Riri, of course, I was going to re-install it,"

When Riri looked back at Shuri she became so overwhelmed with emotion that she hugged the older scientist. Riri could feel Shuri slightly stiffen from the sudden embrace. Riri was going to pull away not waiting to make her uncomfortable but she felt Shuri softly reciprocate her embrace. "Shuri, it means the world to me that you protect my inventions, it's like everything I built has done such harm, and for you to spend the time to protect the very thing I built. It means everything to me, so thanks Shuri seriously,"

Riri didn't expect to get emotional with Shuri; it was the same feeling she had when Shuri spent those extra hours salvaging her AI. Shuri respected and cared for her designs and this was the first time in Riri's life that someone that she respected saw her talent.

"Holy shit why I am crying right now, sorry Shuri for getting in my feelings,"

"Hey, stop that Riri, I'm here for you whatever your feeling I can handle it,"

Before Riri could respond Shuri started talking again "You don't always have to be strong for me. If there are times you can't, that's cool. You don't need to always have it together, which is rich coming from me right?"

Riri chuckled at Shuri's teasing tone. This was the side of Shuri that she missed; her playful and sarcastic side, Riri only caught glimpses of that old Shuri but she was the same loyal and dedicated soul that Riri admired.

Riri realized that she was still wrapped in Shuri's embrace for a while. She softly pulled away from the scientist putting a bit of distance between them "Thanks for the hug it means a lot I know you're not a physical person,"

When Riri said this, Shuri lifted her eyebrows in amusement as she smiled without breaking their eye contact and said "I don't mind, Riri. Besides it's the least I can do after you defended me in front of the elders,"

Shuri's mouth formed into a bright smile.

"So that wasn't my intention to come in that aggressively but after I heard those things they were saying that's when it all went to shit,"

"I'm grateful regardless of your intention Riri, I appreciate you standing up for me like that,"

"Anytime, Princess,"

Shuri rolled her eyes hearing the nickname "I hope you know you're the only person that can call me that,"

"I feel so special Shuri,"

"You should,"

"Well, you must be feeling better if that sarcastic attitude is coming back,"

Shuri simply chuckled as she stood up "That's all part of my charm Riri, but I'll go ahead and leave you to continue working. If you need me, I will be just downstairs working on some tests for the new gravity suspension shuttles for the Border Tribe. Also, if you happen to leave the lab try to avoid the elders you're not their favorite person at the moment," Shuri smiled brightly

"Well, it's a good thing that I never thrived on the validation of other people, but will do,"

Riri gave Shuri an innocent smile as the older scientist made her way down the stairs.

Just like that Riri's heart was beating so hard again. But she wasn't going to acknowledge any more feelings for today that would have to wait another day.

So as always Riri became fixated on her work to distract how much she loved being in the arms of the scientist just fifty feet from her.

~ ~

Loud music flowed through a set of Apple AirPods as a figure gracefully danced in their dorm room not wanting to wake the sleeping people around them since it was midnight. Suddenly their ringtone interrupted the music that was playing. The caller ID reads unknown on the iPhone screen.

The figure answered the phone with a hint of annoyance. The line was silent and the mysterious figure chuckled darkly before speaking "You know Director, you should work on your social skills you're calling me this late for what?"

"Lelani stop with the shit did you see her?" The voice of Director De Fontaine came out like thunder in the person's ears

They smiled darkly and responded "Of course I saw her she was pretty cute,"

"Lelani I swear if you weren't so brilliant-" the Director began to scold but the figure cut her off again

"I would be dead... blah blah blah I know. I was joking I'm still going to kill her," the mysterious figure lay in their bed and smiled sinisterly thinking of all the ways of pulling the plan off

"You better see to it the destabilization of Wakanda is starting to become a reality and getting rid of her will finally start to move the process along," the Director said

The figure rolled their eyes "Yeah, whatever I don't care nothing about that," venom was laced in their words "You know why I'm here and I'll see that it's handled,"

The line disconnected after a couple of seconds which pleased the mysterious person.

They gracefully rose from their dorm room looking around at their assigned roommates from the Outreach Program. The figure walked over to a massive window overlooking Wakanda as they smiled wickedly, thinking about how they could execute the plan.

~ ~

Hey Loves! 💕🌸

I'm back with another update I'm actually on schedule this time around! This chapter was so fun to write and I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it. If at any point this chapter is confusing to read please let me know so I can try to find a way to work on the transitions so it's a smoother read I appreciate it!

ALSO HOLY CRAP ARE YOU KIDDING ME GUYS OVER 9K VIEWS! I am so overwhelmed that I could cry that is so incredible. I am seeing how excited you are for the updates encouraging me to continue and it's such a blessing I had no idea when I uploaded the first chapters how the story would be received but ya'll are rocking with me so hard and I appreciate every comment vote! 😭💕

Please continue giving your feedback I absolutely love hearing from ya'll so much!

Bye for now Loves! 🙋🏽‍♀️🌸

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12K 149 8
Shuri Udaku x Black!Fem!Reader Riri Williams x Black!Fem!Reader Shuriri x Black!Fem!Reader tumblr account: @asvterias
126K 2.4K 39
( If you haven't seen black panther 2 yet I suggest you do ) โš ๏ธ SPOILER WARNING โš ๏ธ After everything that happened with Shuri becoming the black pan...
2.6K 41 14
Die Hard sequal Princess Shuri X OC
11.2K 422 51
Shuri moves to Infinity Willow Grove so she can experience an American college experience before taking her Panther duties seriously. No one knows wh...