Shadow of the Count's Family

By MsAi99

The infamous Count family, the wealthy aristocrat that have been protecting Roan Kingdom from the Forest of D... More

Author's note
Prologue
Character Profile
ARC 1: A Budding Flower of Beginning
[1]
[2]
[4]
Item Box 1
[5]
[6]
[7]
[8]
Author's note 2
ARC 2: The Baby Dragon
[9]
Art Work
Art Work 2

[3]

229 17 0
By MsAi99

"Why is brother... doing that?" the girl ask her mother, as she pointed out her brother's action. From climbing trees, trying to taste the grass, and poking at various flowers and plants in the greenhouse. He is all over the place and she could not understand that.

Her mother chuckled. She gently combed through her daughter's hair as she explained,

"That, my dear, is because your brother is very curious about the world around him. He wants to know this and that- and that's why he is moving around looking at everything. He wants to know more- just like you now."

The mother boop her daughter's nose as she turns to face her mother.

"I am curious?"

"Yes, you wanted to know more about your brother and the meaning behind his action. That feeling of wanting to know is what we call as curiosity!"

-SoTCF-

Inquisitiveness. Interest. Curiosity.

That's the simplest way to describe her feeling as she watched Cale beckoning one of the servants to walk out with him to the entrance. Thalia wonders where would he go and what is he planning to do by going downtown. Though, she is not worried. As long as he remains within the Count's territory, no harm shall befall him. He also had thrown a bit of a tantrum too, ordering Ron to stay and don't wait for him as he went out. Even then, he still show caution in the way he treated Ron- at least, that is what Thalia could glimpse from the short interaction.

He knows Ron is an assassin, or someone with blood on their hand judging by the way he treads on an eggshell when dealing with Ron. Thalia had to admit, this guy really did a slightly bad job when imitating her brother. If it was her brother, he will definitely at least throw something and just ignore Ron after saying he went out to play. 

'It's a wonder how no one noticed yet' Thalia let out a bitter smile. Once the door closed, she walk to the training ground and check up on Lily before meeting the countess.

Lily Henituse, her half-sister and also the second person she spends most of the time with after her brother. Lily had shared her aspiration to become a swordswoman, a knight in her own right. Thalia never doubted it and even support her dream. This is because the Henituse household was initially known as the martial artist house that has long guarded the Forbidden Forest. 

Due to that, their descendants have always consisted of people that physically suited for combat. The people of this household all had long arms, long legs, and good physiques. Lily was only 7 years old, but she was tall for her age and could easily become a good swordswoman if she put in the effort. That's why, she decided today will be one of the days she visited her younger sister and give her moral support.

As usual, the training field was full of knights training following sets of routines through the teaching passed down for generations. It used to be a familiar sight years ago. now that she had arrived here, a wave of nostalgia hits her. But, she grip herself quickly to the reality as she observed the whole field. 

'There!'

At the corner of the field, she oversaw the Vice-captain lead a one-on-one training for Lily. Perhaps based on the guidance left by the Head captain that was nowhere insight. Noticing Thalia's presence as she headed to the field, the vice-captain pause his teaching momentarily as he head to the front and called the attention of the brigade.

"Attention!"

At his command, all knights gather in line as they were trained to. The knights are all in their ready position as the man leading them greets Thalia.

"I, Vice Captain Hillsman, greet Lady Henituse on behalf of the Knight's Brigade."

Loud and confident. Thalia's initial evaluation of Vice Captain Hillsman. She barely holds herself back from simply nodding, as she reminds herself of her resolve to break out from her habit to stay silent. After gathering her thoughts and clearing her throat, she steadily replied.

"Hello, everyone. You've all done well. Thank you, for your dedication to protecting our home. Please, continue on with your training session."

"Yes!"

The knights proudly reply before they resume their training. Then, a hand wrapped around her waist with an adorable face looking up at her.

"Eldest sister! You came!"

"Good morning Lily. I see you have dedicated your time to training today. Good job!" Thalia chuckled as she observe the stars in her sister's pair of brown eyes.

"Thank you sister! I have been doing practice to increase my stamina and endurance over the past week before going further into training. That's what the teacher had said before"

"You have been guided by the head captain, right?"

"Yes. Though he was not available all the time as he leads something with father."

Hearing this, Thalia nodded. She recalls there was some kind of unsettling atmosphere brewing in the kingdom. Thalia was not aware of all the details but she will investigate such matters later. 

'I should also try to find a proper master for Lily instead. Training requires constant and proper schedule and planning. Arbitrarily arranging them without proper guidance will be detrimental.'

Thalia concluded her plan of action she determined to follow through before she leave the House. Looking back at her sister, Thalia's advice.

"Lily, for now just focus on the routine that your teacher has taught you. In due time, I will bring you a gift so you can look forward to it."

"Really? You're the best sister!"

Lily squealed in delight at the idea of a gift. Her delighted cheers elicit laughter from Thalia, a breath of fresh air from her usual cold demeanor. Thalia gently patted Lily's head as they continue their conversation. Such harmony between the siblings definitely attracts the attention of the training knights. It was such a rare sight, even more so to witness the presence of the eldest daughter to freely engage with people outside.

You've all done well- They all recall the encouragement again which has blazed the flame in the hearts of the knight brigade. Such enthusiasm was followed by increasing the intensity of their training. The whole brigade, they have dedicated their life to serving their master. To be receiving motivation from their master, especially the one rumor to be the changed Eldest Lady has definitely uplifted their spirits. 

Though of course, neither of the siblings was aware of it.

When Maria arrived later, Thalia was reminded of her meeting with her stepmother. She then excuses herself from the training ground after leaving Lily with a flower ornament. It was a quiet and peaceful walk along the way as she prepared for her meeting later.

.

.

"Excuse me?"

Thalia ask as she try to confirm whether she had misheard Violan's words.

"It's fine if you still feel reluctant to go out. However, as the young lady of the house, going to the capital to attend the King's Birthday with Cale or Basen will be a great time for your debut."

"Debut... but I thought that it will be held here? And did eldest brother already know about this?"

"Not yet. Your father has been planning to offer that opportunity to Cale this time. If he accepts it, you will travel with him. If not, then Basen will accompany you instead. Initially, we did plan to make your debut here by inviting all nobles associated with the Northeastern region. But, the invitation from the crown prince arrived. He invited all young nobles to attend for gathering before the banquet."

Then Violan put down her teacup as she observed Thalia. Thalia is a unique child as she recalls the indifferent attitude she had when they first met. Rarely showing her feelings. Always hiding. But never contempt.

It's like she tried to make herself invisible

But these days, Cale is not the only one that has a change in attitude, even Thalia had been more...open. She had been attending breakfast for 3 days straight. They can even see her frequently walking outside around the hall or the garden instead of confining herself in her room. And once in a while, she smiles, a huge contrast to her forever cold expression.

That's why, the countess decided it was a good initiative to help her socialize more by sending her together with her brother to the capital alongside her debut. Just a nudge for her, a stepping stone she prepared for Thalia to break out of her shell.

And, this is Countess's way to amend their relationship. Violan had hoped if Thalia agree, Violan can spend more time with her on the pretext of teaching her and for preparation. But, most importantly, as a mother, she wishes for Thalia to do what she is comfortable with. That's why, Violan also quickly added.

"Of course, you are not forced to go. But, I like it if you could consider it."

Thalia nodded.

"Alright. I will update you once decided. I will take my leave now"

She leaves the Countess's room, feeling more complicated than ever. Debut is not a problem as she had determined to at least fulfill this obligation of hers. But to go to the capital for that.

Reluctance is oversimplifying her thoughts on this matter.

Thankfully Countess Violan was generous to give her time to think about it. Thalia will go through the pros and cons of that idea and will tell them her decision soon.

-SoTCF-

Clang.

She placed her tools aside as she marvels at today's enchantment. It has been a longstanding project of hers. Since a few years ago, she had been through many tries and errors on the commands she enchant on the magic stones and fixing them on a pair of glasses. This pair of glasses was her attempt to mimic her mother's ancient power.

Fortunately, today was the day she finally had her breakthrough and completed it.

A pair of circular gold frame glass with tiny magic stones deco at the edge of it. A chain drops down from the right side of her frame with another magic stone at the end.

It is one of a kind pair of glasses in this whole wide world.

She smiles, is satisfied with her creation, and immediately put it on. Feeling excited about the final product, it's time to test it out if it works as intended.

It was already dark outside as she walk down the hallway. She had been thinking of using it on a few people to see if they reflect the proper function as intended.

"Young miss, do you require anything?"

Maria standing outside her room and the first she met today after her meeting with Countess. Thalia quietly glanced on top of Maria's head.

Maria. Maid of Henituse household (?). Dark-elf warrior.

'It's a success for the first subject' Thalia smiled. Maria who saw her smile was astounded proving how rare it was to see her young miss show emotion any other than indifference. Thalia who noticed Maria stunned immediately clear her throat.

"You can relax Maria. I will just walk around the hallway for a bit, and look for my brother a bit."

She then walked away leaving Maria behind. Thalia was genuinely excited by the idea of trying it on her brother. Will it be able to pin out that there's a different person inside? If yes, then her creation to partially mimic the Annual Life Ring ancient power was a success.

She walked down the hall, headed to the east side of the building. She came across Hans who was politely greeting her. Then, there's a loud noise from the end of the hallway.

'It's brother!'

Thalia speed up her walk and saw her brother who was talking with his butler, Ron. She had known that the slightly scary old man had been waiting for Cale outside the door which surely caught him a surprise. She didn't pay attention to their conversation but instead wore her glasses again.

Ç̷̣̘̺̻͉̳̣̞̫͖̦̱͉͂͛́̊̂̔̾͊͛ͅá̶̡̢̟͈͎̳̪̟̹͜l̵̢̛̝̦̳̲̭͔͙̰̖͓̘̀̐̿̅͆̋̇͋͗̽̚e̵̱̅̕ ̴͍͆̈̒̈H̸̨̨̞͉̗͍̘͚̏̈̔̊̓̾͗̃ë̸̹͇̯̼͙͖̜̺̳͆͋͊̈̾̂͝n̸͚̼̦͛̈́̂̍͐͂̉̀͐͒̄̀̚ï̵̩͉̲̋̊͑͊͘t̸̥̗͊͋͋͊̿͋̐̇̽͂u̷̡͎͈̙͇͈͚̥̅̍͜ṣ̶̨̳̣̖̦̰̳̗̲̓͆̒̀͊͆̄̅̌͠͠ë̸̲̜͖͍̝͘. The Eldest Son of Count Henituse (?). Ń̶̥̝̠̟͇̞̝̠̣͔͉̑̆͌̐̚͜͜ͅǒ̶̟̻̻̰̊͊ŗ̵̧̝̖̤͇̜̳͔͌̈́m̷̢̩̻̺̹̺̯̫̲̯̈̌͒͜͠͠a̶̱͓̱̓͛̐̚l̸͕͖̠̖̼̄͗̒͒͜ Human.

Seeing the translucent inscription visible on top of his head helps Thalia to reach a conclusion.

The device can sense the discrepancies but not the true identity. The set of commands implemented can see through and identify disguises up to a soul level. All in all, Thalia was satisfied with the result.

Steps approaching her. She looked up and was face to face with Cale. His face is red, the usual appearance he had when he was drunk. Of course, his eyes are still clear proving the presence of his awareness. Cale who met Thalia right as he arrived at the manor raise his eyebrows in question.

"Thalia? It's quite late now."

Thalia just sheepishly smiles as she replies.

"I was not feeling sleepy yet. What happen?"

Reminded of his encounter earlier, Cale barely suppressed his shudder as he is minutely aware of the presence of 2 strong people behind him. With one of them being a ticking time bomb. Cale reluctantly replies.

"Ah, yes. This is.. my guest" 

"A guest?" 

Thalia peeks over her brother's shoulder and was met eye-to-eye with the man. Her eyes widen in surprise.

'A single Lifer?!'

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.2K 1.4K 22
What if Cale from Tboah just regressed and didn't transmit as Kim Rok Soo? You probably read multiple of these stories, so here's another one. Just...
90.8K 6.4K 60
a regresser and a transmigrating reincarnator face the horrors of a romance novel together Put less succinctly, in one of the many parallel world...
133K 9K 63
A fanfiction for Lout of the Count's Family written by Yu Ryeo Han. I do not own the Lout of the Count's Family. This is just a FANFICTION. Note: Thi...
15K 853 19
〔 Kim Rok Soo x Cale Henituse (og!) 〕 Cale made a deal with the god of death, he returned to the past and was surprised because there were several ch...