Deprived

By Shifting2wolf

Pale, inhumanly fast, unparalleled reflexes and even better senses, Vampires were well known in the supernatu... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - Business as usual
Chapter 2 - Wandering eyes
Chapter 3 - Meant to be
Chapter 4 - Crack
Chapter 5 - All is lost
Chapter 6 - A new reality
Chapter 7 - Worst nightmare
Chapter 8 - The search
Chapter 9 - Bleed it out
Chapter 10 - Queen Bee
Chapter 11 - Mine
Chapter 12 - A sign
Chapter 13 - Addiction
Chapter 14 - Release
Chapter 15 - Agony
Chapter 16 - Empty
Chapter 17 - Defiled
Chapter 18 - A Message
Chapter 19 - Vengeance
Chapter 20 - A Dryad's warning
Chapter 21 - Voices and Whispers
Chapter 22 - When one life ends...
Chapter 23 - ... a new one begins.
Chapter 24 - Awkward introductions
Chapter 25 - Recovery
Chapter 26 - True Family
Chapter 27 - Eternal Scars
Chapter 28 - Possible allies
Chapter 29 - An Improba's debt
Chapter 30 - The plan
Chapter 31 - Sanctuary
Chapter 32 - "It's not my fault..."
Chapter 33 - Monsters
Chapter 34 - Slow and steady
Chapter 35 - Progress
Chapter 36 - A new beginning
Chapter 37 - Sylvar
Chapter 38 - Bonding
Chapter 39 - Blood's Calling
Chapter 40 - Rules and Reminders
Chapter 41 - Understanding
Chapter 42 - Truce
Chapter 43 - Safety
Chapter 44 - Medicine
Chapter 45 - Okay
Chapter 46 - A step
Chapter 47 - Sugar and Spice
Chapter 48 - Memories
Chapter 50 - Contribution
Chapter 51 - Touch
Chapter 52 - Progress
Chapter 53 - Family

Chapter 49 - Knowledge

2.6K 269 33
By Shifting2wolf

Xavier saw the slight, near imperceptible changes within all the Deprived on the compound. Thanks to all of their combined efforts, the Deprived were slowly feeling more and more comfortable.

There were less and less accidental frights by guards simply roaming the streets and spotting a Deprived. If they turned a corner and stumbled upon a guard, they only startled for a moment before continuing on their path.

While it wasn't a miraculous recovery, it was a huge leap for the Deprived. After all, they would've bolted back to their rooms or worse, fallen on their knees and beg for forgiveness.

Not to mention that the Deprived were getting quality treatment tailored to their own personal experiences. As well as the fact that Xavier and his team were actively encouraging bonds to form between Deprived and potential Choice mates.

Of course they didn't press the issue, nor did they force Deprived or their staff to actively pursue someone. But if there was a bond naturally developing, they didn't shy away from allowing it to flourish.

There were only a few newly Bonded within their settlement, though Xavier couldn't blame the Deprived. After all, they only had a limited pool of people to connect with, not to mention the severe trauma all of them were carrying along with them.

He wouldn't be too surprised if it took most of them years before they came close to even considering letting someone get near them.

Especially some individuals. Xavier knew of Ian, the Satori that Jesse had been hanging out with. Or rather, Ian had been slowly gravitating towards Jesse, seeing blissful comfort from the Deprived's thoughts.

It had confused Xavier the first few times where he had visited Jesse, only to spot Ian at the kitchen counter with his own mug of coffee.

By nightfall as they laid down in bed, Jesse had quietly explained Ian's situation. How the poor Satori's mind was fragmenting with every second that ticked away, suffering under the combined suffering of all the other Deprived.

How Ian had found a small form of reprieve through Jesse, thanks to the young elf using relaxation techniques and breathing exercises.

Xavier smiled, shaking his head. It was ironic how helping Ian was also helping Jesse. By performing the relaxation and breathing techniques on a regular basis, the young elf was calming down as well.

Of course Xavier knew of Ian's plight. When the Satori had first arrived on the compound, Xavier had already searched for a way that could block Ian's mindreading ability.

While such items existed, they were insanely expensive and hard to obtain. Blocking one's mind from intrusions was normally an innate ability.

To prevent it in an artificial way was rather difficult, as one needed to obtain items from species who naturally were immune to mind reading.

Never mind the fact that Satori's were masters at breaking through such innate resistances. Attempting to stop Ian from subconsciously read others minds, was like trying to collect water with a sieve.

The only thing they could do for the moment, was exactly what Jesse was doing. Provide Ian with a few minds that were calm, collected and void of anguish. Places he could visit and settle down in, focus on them instead of the horror and abominations from other minds.

Knocking on their front door to alert the two Deprived inside, Xavier smiled reassuringly when Ian's head instantly snapped up and towards him.

"Good afternoon Ian. Good to see you today, how are you feeling?" Xavier genuinely inquired, keeping his thoughts warm and gentle.

Not that Ian wouldn't be able to detect any hidden thought to begin with. It was both the blessing and the curse of his species.

To be able to pry into all thoughts. Hence why they were often great investigators, who could pluck the information out of an uncooperative person's brain with a simple question.

It didn't matter if the person was unwilling to respond. Their mind, their soul would process the question anyways and prompt an answer that only Satori could read.

Which made abusive Satori so much worse. A simple, harmless question could release a world of anguish upon a person.

Names and locations of loved ones, a person's darkest secrets, their most hidden and deep-rooted fears.... All bared to the gaze of the Satori.

So Xavier simply allowed Ian to pry through his thoughts without a struggle. The young Deprived could see for himself how Xavier felt about the situation.

The exhaustion after a long day working, the joy of returning home to his Chosen. The genuine gratitude and warmth Xavier felt at the growing friendship between Jesse and Ian.

Perhaps there would've been a hint of jealousy in the past, but Xavier knew that wasn't present now. All he wanted was for all the Deprived to heal.

Plus, he didn't want to smother Jesse with his presence anyways. Nor did he want to stall either Jesse or Ian's healing process by being a constant reminder of the species that had abused them.

"I'm feeling....okay." Ian murmured quietly, eyes flitting between Xavier and Jesse before he added. "And I wouldn't worry. About either those things."

Xavier blinked in shock before smiling and nodded in appreciation.

"Sophie needs to stop being so good at baking." Jesse whined, robbing his words from any conviction as he devoured the chocolate chip cookies with vigor.

It made Xavier chuckle, seeing a fraction of the old Jesse through his actions. Nibbling on the cookie and grabbing for the next even when he was still chewing the previous one.

The Improba noticed a smear of chocolate on Jesse's cheek and one on his nose, making Xavier wonder how on earth he managed to smear the sweet all over his face.

Meanwhile Ian was polishing off a box of Bombay Rolls, enjoying the savory goods without leaving a single flake behind.

"She's very good." Ian agreed, licking his fingers before humming as he looked into the box. "I wish there was more savory snacks though."

Xavier hummed, walking over to the kitchen to provide both with plenty of napkins. "Do you need any help, Ian?" Xavier asked, heading back to the kitchen to prepare everyone some drinks. He motioned to his own head when Ian looked up at him, making the Satori smile sadly.

"Nothing you can do about it. I already know how much time and energy you're putting into finding help for me." Ian murmured before giving a hesitant, hopeful smile. "Being here helps... if that's okay?"

"Of course." Xavier smiled, grateful that the presence of Ian was also doing wonders for Jesse's own progress. After all, the young elf had been trying his best to keep his thoughts more positive, at least for Ian's sake.

Plus Jesse had been interacting with Ian on his own free will, conversing with the Satori on a daily basis. While it wasn't a miracle cure, the hardest part of PTSD and Depressions was to get back among people.

To be able to fight against that insistent pull to dissociate your mind and physically isolate.

Many of the Deprived refused to stay outdoors, even more struggled to do regular chores on a daily basis. Some couldn't even be bothered to eat or shower, choosing to stay in their bed for days on end and only get out of it to go to the bathroom.

It was the harsh scars that their trauma had created in their minds. An almost self-destructive self-preservation. After all, if they didn't go outside, they wouldn't have any bad interactions with people.

And if they didn't care for themselves, there would be a smaller chance that they'd draw the wrong gaze to themselves.

It would take years and years of psychotherapy in order for the Deprived to be considered on the path of recovery. A select few were already venturing out, yes, but they were also developing a pattern, a routine that they were getting stuck in.

Wake up, eat, go to therapy, sleep and repeat.

The Deprived needed a positive influence, a change in their lives. A gentle nudge in the right direction that could help them regain confidence in life.

"Oh. Speaking of savory snacks." Xavier turned to Ian, who tilted his head curiously before his eyes sparkled, having read Xavier's thoughts.

"Oliver's considering of opening a small restaurant in the center." Ian's expression lit up with joy as he turned to Jesse's curious glance. "With homemade curries, rice and noodle dishes."

Xavier smiled as the two Deprived seemed to salivate at the idea. As they chattered about the potential dishes Oliver would make, he could see the spark of life returning in their eyes.

It may be small, but it was there.

There was still hope for them, for all of the Deprived here. Sophia had been the first gentle nudge that the Deprived had needed and now others were following in her steps.

The Improba just knew others would soon start considering what to do with their own talents. Some had already been fiddling with the few flower beds, making Xavier hope that they'd consider some landscaping and make this place truly their home.

Only time would tell. But seeing two Deprived talking with genuine interest and anticipation made Xavier's chest burn with pride and happiness.

A feeling that Ian could sense, as he smiled warmly to Xavier, who merely inclined his head at the silent gratitude.

There was progress, hope and a future for all of them, just waiting out of view.

And then, as if a record scratched and jerked, Ian's gaze widened, cup of coffee clattering to the table. The Satori choked, coughing and wheezing, struggling to get enough air to speak.

"Get to Falco. HURRY!" Ian screamed, clawing at his throat as if he was being choked by an invisible force.

Or rather-

Xavier darted out of the house, using his abilities to move faster while screaming at the guards. "Get to Falco's house! This is an emergency! Get to Falco!"

Several feet thundered behind him, a few ahead of him before one of the guards kicked in the front door of Falco's house.

As Xavier skidded around the corner, his eyes landed on Falco's flailing legs, a chair kicked over on the floor as the rope attached to the chandelier tightened even further around Falco's throat.

The Improba hurried to lift Falco's body, ignoring the protesting gurgles he produced while other guards cut the rope, preventing Falco's attempted suicide.

Jesus Christ... thank the heavens that Ian sensed Falco's thoughts....

He could only imagine how shaken Ian must be, how horrifying it was to struggle for his own life, feel Falco's life slowly slip away until the guards arrived.

And as Falco started sobbing in Xavier's hold, the Improba sighed, realizing that not everyone was equally far ahead on the road to recovery.

Some of them were still being smothered in darkness without a speck of hope in sight.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

190M 4.5M 100
[COMPLETE][EDITING] Ace Hernandez, the Mafia King, known as the Devil. Sofia Diaz, known as an angel. The two are arranged to be married, forced by...
6.5M 179K 55
⭐️ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏꜱᴛ ʀᴇᴀᴅ ꜱᴛᴀʀ ᴡᴀʀꜱ ꜰᴀɴꜰɪᴄᴛɪᴏɴ ᴏɴ ᴡᴀᴛᴛᴘᴀᴅ ⭐️ ʜɪɢʜᴇꜱᴛ ʀᴀɴᴋɪɴɢꜱ ꜱᴏ ꜰᴀʀ: #1 ɪɴ ꜱᴛᴀʀ ᴡᴀʀꜱ (2017) #1 ɪɴ ᴋʏʟᴏ (2021) #1 IN KYLOREN (2015-2022) #13...
28.8M 913K 49
[BOOK ONE] [Completed] [Voted #1 Best Action Story in the 2019 Fiction Awards] Liam Luciano is one of the most feared men in all the world. At the yo...
55.1M 1.8M 66
Henley agrees to pretend to date millionaire Bennett Calloway for a fee, falling in love as she wonders - how is he involved in her brother's false c...