FAIRYTALE - Kaz Brekker

By KazBrekker090

"I'm in love with a Fairytale, even though it hurts" what would happen when Zaria Isla catches feelings for n... More

𝑭𝒂𝒊𝒓𝒚𝒕𝒂𝒍𝒆
𝑷𝒍𝒂𝒚𝒍𝒊𝒔𝒕 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒕 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒄𝒓𝒐𝒘𝒔
𝐈
𝐈𝐈
𝐈𝐈𝐈
𝐈𝐕
𝐕
𝐕𝐈
𝐕𝐈𝐈
𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈
𝐈𝐗
𝐗
𝐗𝐈
𝐗𝐈𝐈
𝐗𝐈𝐈𝐈
𝐗𝐈𝐕
𝐗𝐕
𝐗𝐕𝐈
𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈
𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈
𝓝𝓮𝔀 𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓻𝓪𝓬𝓽𝓮𝓻
𝐗𝐈𝐗
𝐗𝐗
𝐗𝐗𝐈
𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐈
𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐈𝐈
𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐕
𝐗𝐗𝐕
𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈
𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈
𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈
𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐗
𝐗𝐗𝐗
𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐈
𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐈
𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐈𝐈
𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐕
𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐕
𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈
𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈
𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐗
𝐗𝐋
𝐗𝐋𝐈
𝐗𝐋𝐈𝐈
𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐎𝐊𝐄𝐃 𝐊𝐈𝐍𝐆𝐃𝐎𝐌
𝐗𝐋𝐈𝐈𝐈
𝐗𝐋𝐈𝐕
𝐗𝐋𝐕
𝐗𝐋𝐕𝐈
𝐗𝐋𝐕𝐈𝐈
𝐗𝐋𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈
𝐗𝐋𝐈𝐗
𝐋
𝐋𝐈

𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈

802 22 21
By KazBrekker090

Chapter 38: Tante Heleen.

——♤——

The guests entering through the grand archway were being shepherded into rooms off the rotunda in small groups to be searched for weapons.

Inej saw guards emerge with little piles of brooches, porcupine quills and even sashes that Inej assumed must contain metal or wire.

noticing how quiet the wraith suddenly got, Zaria moved, intertwining her fingers with Inej's.

"You don’t have to do this, you know," she said glancing at the suli girl who held her hand tightly, "You don’t have to put those silks on again." she whispered softly.

"I’ve done worse." she replied sighing softly and clenching her friend's hand for dears' life, "I know. You scaled six stories of hell for us along with Z." spoke Nina glancing at her two friends.

"That’s not what I meant." both the girls paused at that, and Zaria's eyes narrowed as she thought of a way to grab Tante Heleen so Inej will kill her.

"I know that, too." hesitated Nina, then said, "Is the haul so important to you?"

Inej was surprised to hear what sounded like guilt in Nina’s voice.
The Elderclock began to chime nine bells. Inej looked down at the wolves chasing each other around the rotunda floor.

"I’m not sure why I began this," she admitted, "But I know why I have to finish. I know why fate brought me here, why it placed me in the path of this prize."

only Zaria knows about the dream that had ignited in her heart – a crew of her own, a ship under her command, a crusade.

It felt like something that was meant to be kept secret, a new seed that might grow to something extraordinary if it wasn’t forced to bloom too soon.

She didn’t even know how to sail. And yet a part of her wanted to tell Nina all of it. If Nina didn’t choose to go back to Ravka, a Heartrender would be an excellent addition to her crew.

and if Zaria didn't choose to go back home, to Novyi Zem, a Squaller and sharp person like her would be an excellent addition to her crew as well.

"They're here," Nina said catching the girl's attention, The girls of the Menagerie entered through the rotunda doors in a wedge formation, their gowns glittering in the candlelight, the hoods of their capes shadowing their faces.

"I don’t see her," said Nina squinting her eyes, "Just wait. The Peacock will enter last." And sure enough, there she was: Heleen Van Houden, shimmering in teal satin, an elaborate ruff of peacock feathers framing her golden head. 

Zaria scrunched her nose in pure disgust, "ew. did she really have to wear one of my favorite colors? saints she looks hideous, I think I'm going to puke." 

"Subtle," said Nina, "Subtle doesn’t sell in the Barrel." replied the Wraith rolling her shoulders.

with that Zaria whistled with her hand, it sounded like a bird, you wouldn't know if it was a person whistling really, Jesper's whistle came back from somewhere in the distance just like they always did back in Novyi Zem.

This is it, Inej thought. She’d shoved, and now the boulder was rolling down the hill. Who knew what damage it might do and what might be built on the rubble?

Nina squinted down through the glass, "How does she keep from collapsing under the weight of those diamonds? They can’t possibly be real." Zaria nodded wanting to just steal that dress.

"I was wondering the exact same thing," replied Zaria, if she manages to steal that dress, she will get rid of the peacock feathers at the edges.

"Them," Inej spoke, pointing to the group that included the Suli lynx and Kaelish mare. They were heading to the doors on the left of the rotunda.

As Nina tracked the group with her eyes, Inej moved over the roof, following their trajectory and Zaria immediately followed the Wraith, "Which door?" she called. 

"Third on the right," replied Nina from behind them, Inej moved to the nearest air duct and lifted the grate. It would be a tight squeeze for Nina, but they’d manage. 

She slid down into the ventilation duct, crouching and moving along the narrow shaft between rooms.

Zaria was next to move, saying a silent prayer in her mind she moved along the narrow shaft doing everything she can to move silently.

Behind them, they heard a grunt and then a loud whump as Nina hit the bottom of the shaft like a sack of laundry. 

Inej winced and Zaria grimaced. Hopefully, the noises of the crowd below would lend them cover. Or maybe the Ice Court had really big rats. 

They crawled along, peering into vents as they went. Finally, they were looking down into some kind of small meeting room that had been claimed for the purpose of guards searching guests. 

The Exotics had removed their capes and laid them on the long oval table. One of the blonde guards was patting the girls down, feeling along the seams and hems of their costumes, and even poking fingers into their hair, while the other guard kept watch with her hand resting on her rifle

Zaria frowned, did Fjerdans let women serve in the army in a combat capacity? Maybe the female guards had been conscripted from some other unit. 

she thought tilting her head in confusion, Inej and Nina waited until the guards had finished searching the girls, their capes, and their little beaded purses.

"Ven tidder," one of the guards said as they exited the room to let the Menagerie girls set themselves to rights, Matthias has taught her that word, "Five minutes," translated Nina in a whisper.

Zaria exhaled and cleared her mind that was full of Kaz Brekker, she needs to focus, it's time to focus because they are finally going to do it.

She will be rich, she will finally do what her mother always told her will never happen, that it was all a dream and Zaria was never smart and brave enough.

'well, look where I am now, Mother.' she thought grinning wickedly, her eyes seemed to darken and become a blackish color at the thought of swimming in a pool of money, wearing all kinds of rubies, the whole world respecting her and men on her feet.

what a dream, but for that to come true, she had to do this and forget the bastard of the barrel so he wouldn't distract her, "go," said Inej, "I need you to move." replied Nina

"why?"

"Because I need a clear line of sight, and right now all I can see is your ass," replied Nina making Zaria sigh and shake her head, doing everything she can to hold her laughter.

Inej wiggled forwards so Nina had a better view through the vent, and a moment later, she heard four soft thuds as the Menagerie girls collapsed on the dark blue carpet.

those girls better not bleed on the beautiful-looking dark blue carpet cause she has never seen one that beautiful.

Zaria was the first to move, dropping onto the shiny surface of the table with a small thud, she looked around with eyes so sharp and studied the room.

glancing up she nodded at Inej who quickly wrenched the grate loose and did the same thing.

Nina tumbled down after her, landing in a heap. "Sorry," she moaned as she dragged herself upright.

Inej and Zaria almost laughed, "You’re very graceful in battle, just not when you’re plummeting." said Inej with a chuckle making the green-eyed girl sigh heavily, "Missed that day in school."

with that Zaria started looking around at the unconscious girls, one girl specifically caught her eyes, same skin color and raven hair, and she wore clothes that reminded her so much of home.

she was arrayed in black and scarlet colors, and decked with golden embroidery of all kinds of flowers and vines and expensive-looking jewelry, tiny pearls forming a belt, and small ravens embroidered on the back of the dress in gold

she loved the dress, it was the perfect outfit,  "you should wear it." whispered Inej eyeing the girl, "those are Nina's colors," she replied glancing at the heartrender, red and black weren't Zaria's color, it was Nina's.

the green-eyed beauty shook her head, "They will probably suspect something, you wear it, you will look gorgeous anyways." Zaria nodded with a small smile and did as told, the red reminded her of wine and black of...Kaz?

They stripped the Suli, zemeni, and Kaelish girls down to their underclothes, then bound all the girls’ wrists and ankles with cords from the curtains and gagged them with torn pieces of their prison clothes.

"Clock is ticking," said Inej glancing at the girls and then at the small clock, Zaria tied her hair back with a purple ribbon and immediately made her way towards Inej, her bracelets making a ringing sound with each move.

she managed to wear the jewelry and the ribbon but not the clothes yet.

"Sorry,"  Nina whispered to the Kaelish girl. Inej knew that ordinarily, Nina would have used pigments to alter her own hair color, but there simply wasn’t time.

Nina bled the girl’s bright red color directly from the strands of her hair into Nina’s own, leaving the poor Kaelish with a mop of white waves that looked vaguely rusty in places, and Nina with hair that wasn’t quite Kaelish red.

Nina’s eyes were a striking green and not blue, but that kind of tailoring couldn’t be rushed, so they’d have to do. She took a white powder from the girl’s beaded bag and did her best to pale her skin.

Inej dragged the other girls with the help of Zaria into a tall silverwood cabinet on the far wall, arranging their limbs so that there would be room for the Kaelish.

She felt a stab of guilt as she made sure the Suli girl’s gag was secure. Tante Heleen must have bought her to replace Inej; she had the same bronze skin, the same thick sheaf of dark hair

 She was built differently, though, soft and curving instead of lean and angular. Maybe she’d come to Tante Heleen of her own free will. Maybe she’d chosen this life. Inej hoped that was true.

a hand landed on her shoulder making her tense up suddenly, "let me do it." spoke Zaria with a painful smile that almost made Inej cry, she felt thankful, "thank you." she whispered to the Zemeni who brushed her thank you.

"Saints protect you," Inej whispered to the unconscious girl before walking away feeling suddenly sick, and as Zaria dragged a pretty blond girl, A rap came at the door and a voice spoke in Fjerdan.

Zaria's eyes widened as she carefully placed the unconscious girl beside her friends, "They need the room for the next girls," Nina whispered. 

Zaria and Nina shoved the Kaelish into the cupboard and managed to get the doors closed and locked, then yanked on their costumes.

The bells felt horrible and reminded her of the chains, and Zaria felt so bad for what Inej went through yet she stayed silent.

Inej was glad she didn’t have time to dwell on the unwelcome familiarity of the silks on her skin, the horrible tinkling of the bells on her anklets. They swept on their capes and took a quick glance in the mirror.

Neither of the costumes fit properly. Inej’s purple silks were far too loose, Zaria's a little too tight, the fabric clung to her body like a second skin, it was way too revealing for her, sure black and red didn't look so bad, but it felt so hideous.

 as for Nina...

"What the hell is this supposed to be?" she asked, looking down at herself. The plunging gown barely covered her substantial cleavage and clung tightly to her buttocks. It had been wrought to look like blue-green scales, giving way to a shimmering chiffon fan.

"a mermaid maybe?" asked Zaria staring at the dress with a frown, "or a wave?" Inej resumed her question, "I thought I was a horse." Zaria snorted at that.

"Nina, my love, when did you ever see a blue horse?" Inej laughed and Zaria felt so glad that the girl was feeling better.

"exactly, they weren’t going to put you in a dress of hooves." replied Inej chuckling at the heartrender.
Nina smoothed her hands over the ridiculous costume. "I’m about to be very popular." Zaria suddenly spoke, "I wonder what dear Matthias would have to say about that outfit."

she tried to imagine his angry face, flushed ears and lips into a scowl, Nina chuckled at the mention of her lover, "He wouldn’t approve." Inej shook her head.

"He doesn’t approve of anything about you. But when you laugh, he perks up like a tulip in freshwater." Nina snorted at Inej's words, "Matthias the tulip."

"The big, brooding, yellow tulip. I will call him that from now on," said Zaria grinning like an idiot, she never thought she would be friends with a Fjerdan, let alone a Drüskelle, yet here she is finding a nickname along with the Wraith and his lover.

"Are you ready?" Nina asked as they pulled their hoods far down over their faces. "yes." Inej said, and she meant it, Zaria smiled at her friend, feeling so proud of her.

"We’ll need a distraction. They’re going to notice five girls went in and only three are coming out," warned Zaria breaking her gaze from the Suli girl who nodded.

"Leave it to me. And watch your hem."

"yes ma'am," replied Zaria with a wicked grin before opening the door to the hallway, the guards were waving them over impatiently. 

Beneath her cape, Nina flicked her fingers hard. One of the guards bleated as her nose began to gush blood down the front of her uniform in absurdly forceful gouts. The other guard recoiled, but in the next instant, she clutched her stomach.

Nina was twisting her wrist in a roiling motion, sending waves of nausea through the woman’s system. 

"Your hem," Nina repeated calmly and Zaria immediately knew why Matthias fell in love almost at first sight, Nina was attractive, very, especially when using her powers.

and if Zaria wasn't in love with Dirtyhands and Nina with Matthias, the Heartrender and Squaller would've gone out together on numerous dates.

Inej and Zaria barely had time to gather up their capes before the guard bent double and heaved her dinner over the tiled floor. 

The guests in the hallway shrieked and shoved at each other, trying to get away from the mess. the trio sailed by, emitting appropriate squeals of disgust. 

"The nosebleed probably would have done the trick, darling," whispered Zaria to her friend with a look of disgust still placed on her face, "Best to be thorough." grinned the girl with green eyes twinkling.

"If I didn’t know any better, I’d think you liked making Fjerdans suffer," whispered Inej on Nina's right, They kept their heads down and entered the swell of people filling the rotunda, ignoring the Zemeni fawn who tried to direct them to the other side of the room.

It was essential that they not get too close to any of the real Menagerie girls. Inej only wished the cloaks weren’t so easy to track through a crowd. 

"This one," Inej said, steering Nina and Zaria into a line far from the other members of the Menagerie. It seemed to be moving a bit faster. But when they reached the front of the line, Inej wondered if she’d chosen poorly.

 This guard seemed even more stern-faced and humorless than the others. He held his hand out for Nina’s papers and examined them with cold blue eyes.

"This description says you have freckles," he said in Kerch, "I do," said Nina smoothly making Zaria raise an eyebrow, "They’re just not visible right now. Want to see?"

"No," the Fjerdan said icily. "You’re taller than described here." 

"boots," Nina said, "I like to be able to look a man in the eye. You have very pretty eyes." oh Nina you are so smart, Zaria was taking notes, and thanks saints Nina made the scar running down her face invisible.

it wasn't like before, you have to be inches away from a person to notice it now, He looked at the paper, then took in Nina's ensemble, "You’re heavier than it says on this paper, I’ll wager."

Zaria almost rolled her eye at that and watched Nina shrug artfully, the scales of her neckline slipping lower. "I like to eat when I’m in the mood," she said, puckering her lips shamelessly, "And I’m always in the mood."

Nina's skills at flirting were better than Zaria's that's for sure, Inej on the other hand struggled to keep a straight face.

 If Nina resorted to eyelash batting, she knew she would lose the fight and burst out laughing. But the Fjerdan seemed to be eating it up. Maybe Nina had a stupefying effect on all stalwart Northerners.

"Move along," he said gruffly. Then added, "I … I may be at the party later." Zaria was starting to imagine Matthias's reaction to the guard, he would probably beat him to death.

Nina ran a finger down his arm, "I’ll save you a dance." at that he grinned like a fool, then cleared his throat, and his stern expression fell back into place.

'Saints,' Inej thought, 'it must be exhausting to be so stolid all the time.'

He glanced cursorily at Zaria's papers, her heart was about to jump out as he kept looking at her and then down, his mind still clearly on the prospect of unwrapping Nina’s layers of blue-green chiffon. He waved her past.

then Inej, but as she was about to step forwards she stumbled. "wait," called the guard making her freeze, and she stopped. Nina and Zaria looked back over their shoulders.

"What’s wrong with your shoes?" oh this little bitch notices everything, doesn't he?

"Just a bit big," replied Inej.

"They stretched more than expected."

"Show me your arms," the guard said.

"why?"

"Just do it," the guard said harshly and Inej pulled her arms free of the cloak and held them out, displaying the lumpy peacock feather tattoo.

A guard in captain’s stripes wandered over, "What is it?" he asked, "She’s Suli, for sure, and she has the Menagerie tattoo, but it doesn’t look quite right."

oh, saints, Zaria's heart was about to jump out of her mouth now and land on her hand, Inej shrugged. "I got a bad burn as a child." but deep down the girl was scared.

The captain gestured to a group of annoyed-looking partygoers gathered near the entry and surrounded by guards, "Anyone suspicious goes over there. Put her with them, and we’ll take her back to the checkpoint to have her papers reviewed."

"I’ll miss the party," said Inej doing everything she can to calm herself down, The guard ignored her, seizing her arm and pulling her back towards the entrance as the other people in line stared and whispered.

Her heart began to pound. Nina’s face was frightened, pale even beneath her powder, but there was nothing Inej could say to reassure her.

the guard pointed at Zaria, "You're not supposed to have scars on your back, take her as well."

before she could say a thing the guard seized her arm and pulled her towards the entrance where Inej disappeared.

Turning to Nina who was still frozen, she nodded as if telling her to continue, to do it. Inej was in front of her as both the girls were taken, fuck.

the scars.

TEN BELLS AND HALF CHIME

Inej and Zaria stood beside one another not daring to utter a single word.

"Just how long are we going to be kept waiting?" a man in wine-colored velvet asked. The guards ignored him, but the other guests clustered by the entry with the two girls grumbled their frustration.

she felt eyes on her and the girl felt sick, "I came here at great expense," he continued, "and it was not so I could spend all my time hovering by the front door."

The guard closest to them recited in a bored monotone, "The men at the checkpoint are dealing with other guests. As soon as they’re free, you'll be taken back through the ringwall and detained at the checkpoint until your identification can be cleared."

"detained," said the man in velvet, "Like criminals!" he exclaimed with slightly wide eyes.

Inej had heard variations on the same exchange for the better part of an hour. She glanced out at the courtyard that led to the embassy’s ringwall gate.

"do you have a plan?" whispered Zaria to Inej who grimaced as if to tell her yes but also no.

If she was going to make this plan work, she had to be smart and stay calm. Except this wasn’t quite the plan, and she definitely didn’t feel calm. The certainty and optimism she’d felt only a short while ago had all but evaporated. 

She waited as the minutes ticked by, eyes scanning the crowd. But when the three-quarters chime sounded, she knew she could wait no longer. She had to act now.

"I've had enough," Zaria said loudly, voice sharp and demanding, "Take us to the checkpoint, or let us go." Inej immediately played along.

"The guards manning the checkpoint-"

Inej thrust herself to the front of the group and said, "We’re all sick of that speech. Take us to the gate and get on with it." Zaria stayed behind letting Inej take control.

"Be silent," commanded the guard, "You are guests here." Zaria scoffed as Inej jabbed a finger into his chest, the zemeni girl's eyes are almost murderous.
"So treat us like one, all this for a bunch of shoes and scars?" asked Zaria with a cold tone, Inej nodded mustering her best Nina imitation. "I demand to be taken to the gate immediately, you big blond lump."

Zaria bit the inside of her cheek to hold back her laughter, The guard grabbed her arm.

making Zaria step in and stand beside Inej fists at the ready, "You’re so desperate to go to the gate? Let’s go. You won’t be coming back through."

"I only-" Then another voice echoed across the rotunda, "Stop! You there, I said stop!" Inej smelled her perfume – lilies, rich and creamy, a dense golden smell. She wanted to gag. 

her whole body tensed and anger rushed through her veins.

Heleen Van Houden, owner and proprietor of the Menagerie, the House of Exotics, where the world was yours for a price, was pushing her way through the crowd.

just like Inej said, this little bitch loved to make an entrance, Zaria looked around for something so Inej can kill her right here, right then but was stopped by the Wraith grabbing Zaria's wrist protectively.

The guard came to a startled halt as Heleen shoved in front of him. "Madam, your girl will be returned to you at night’s end. Her papers-"

"She is not my girl," Heleen said, her eyes slitting viciously, Zaria stepped towards the woman but was stopped once again by Inej's grip tightening around her wrist.

The bruises weren't healed perfectly which made Zaria wince in pain but not once did she make it obvious to Inej.

 Inej stood perfectly still, but not even she could vanish with nowhere to go, "That is the Wraith, right hand of Kaz Brekker and one of the most notorious criminals in Ketterdam. and that, is the Storm, Ketterdam's performer and one of his other hands. a quick killer." 

Zaria wanted to punch her mouth for uttering Kaz's name, she wanted to stab her repeatedly, grab her heart and pull it out with her bare hands.

she glared at the woman, ignoring the burning stares of the people around them, her lip trembled in rage as she could feel her body burn hot.

"How dare you come here under the auspices of my House?" Heleen hissed, "The house that clothed you and fed you? And where is Adjala? why is this filthy girl wearing Alana's clothes?"

Zaria finally stepped in.

"clothed her? fed her? oh, you little blonde bitch. listen to me, be grateful that I don't have my hands on you, but if...you ever make Inej's life a living hell, I will fucking kill you with my bare hands or..will stab you in those eyes with your precious peacock pins. you will choose."

she threatened coldly and even the guards blood ran cold at her tone.

she took another step, and Heleen took a step back feeling little under Storm's eyes, like she was scolded by her mother.

She leaned in, so close, showing the woman her killer grin that made her breath hitch, the smile didn't reach her eyes, it never looked this murderous.

"And if you utter Kaz's name out of that filthy mouth of yours, I will cut your tongue and make you swallow your own teeth."

With that she stepped back making sure to give the woman one last sharp look she will never forget.

Heleen couldn't move for a hot second and neither did anyone.

Inej opened her mouth, but panic rose up, tightening her throat, choking the words before they could come out. Her tongue felt useless and numb.

Once more, she was looking into the eyes of the woman who had beaten her, threatened her, bought her once, and then sold her again and again.

Heleen grabbed Inej by the shoulders and shook her. "Where is my girl?" nej looked down at the fingers digging into her flesh.

For a brief second, every horror came back to her, and she truly was a wraith, a ghost taking flight from a body that had given her only pain.

No. A body that had given her strength. A body that had carried her over the rooftops of Ketterdam, that had served her in battle, that had brought her up six storeys in the dark of a soot-stained chimney.

Inej glanced at Zaria who was ready fo move and waiting for the Wraith to say those words of permission.

Zaria nodded at the girl, to tell her to do it, that she had every right to and that she should kill her right here, right then.

That if they died, they will do it together.

As soom as her eyes left champagme ones full of rage, Inej seized Heleen’s wrist and twisted it hard to the right.

Heleen yelped, her knees buckling as the guards surged forwards.

"I threw your girl in the ice moat," Inej snarled, barely recognising her own voice. Her other hand seized Heleen’s throat, squeezing.

Feeling a burst of power she never felt before.

"And she’s better off there than with you." Then strong arms were tugging at her, pulling her off the older woman, hauling her back.

Inej panted, heart racing. I could have killed her, she thought. I felt her pulse beneath my palm. I should have killed her.

Heleen got to her feet, whimpering and coughing as onlookers moved to help her, but Zaria kicked her arm making her eyes water in pain.

Then guards grabbed her as well.

"If she’s here, then Brekker is as well!" she shrieked. At that moment, as if in agreement, the bells of the Black Protocol began to sound, loud and insistent.

There was a stunned second of inertia. Then the entire rotunda seemed to explode into action as guards rushed to their posts and commanders began calling orders.

One of the guards, clearly the captain, said something in Fjerdan. The only word Zaria recognised was prison (thanks to big tulip of the group).

He grabbed the silk of her cape and pulled her towards him violently, shouting in her face in Kerch, "Who is on your team? What is your target?"
Zaria smirked hearing the guard do the same to Inej beside her, "your mother." She whispered spitting in his face with eyes full of rage.

That seemed to make him even angrier but Zaria didn't care, she felt satisfied at the moment.

"I will not speak," said Inej from beside the zemeni girl who could feel the man's grip tighten and make the cape start to choke her.

"You'll sing if we want you to," spat the guard. 'In your dreams.' Thought Inej keeping eye contact with the man to show him that she wasn't scared.

That neither the girls were.

Sure, they were little, but they were smart and deadly and can amke their lives a living hell, destroy them and their families if desired.

Heleen’s laugh was low and rich with pleasure, her teary eyes landing on a smirking Zaria, "I'll see you hanged. And Brekker, too."

And if it wasn't the guard choking her, she would've killed Heleen for bringing up Kaz.
"The bridge is closed," someone declared, "No one else is getting on or off the island tonight!" Angry guests turned to anyone who would listen, demanding explanations.

The guards dragged Inej and Zaria through the courtyard, past gaping onlookers, and out of the ringwall gate as the bells continued to toll. They did not bother with gentleness or diplomacy now.

"I told you you’d wear my silks again, little lynx," Heleen called from the courtyard.

The gate was already lowering, as the guards sealed it in accordance with Black Protocol.

"You’ll hang in them now." The gate slammed closed, but Inej could swear that she still heard Heleen’s laughter.

Inej glanced at Zaria, the fabric was rough and red bruises were starting to appear making Inej's heart drop, tears blurred her vision.

"I am so sorry-"

she looked in pain, both from her wrists aching from earlier grip and bracelets, and now from the guard's gripping her cape.

Her whole body was in pain and now she's hurt because of Inej, thr Suli girl wanted to sit on her knees and beg for forgiveness.

"I am so proud of you." She spoke, softly, shooting Inej a small smile to let her know that it was okay and that she's truly fine.

What almost made Inej cry was that she said it in Suli, her language, Zaria spoke Suli. She told her she's proud of her, in suli.

Inej let out a hearty laugh that sounded almost like a relieved sob, she couldn't believe that Zaria can speak suli all this time.

Well, her father was Suli, he taught her a few things, he used to tell her that he was proud of her in Suli.

If anyone speaks of Kaz Brekker or even utter his name, Zaria would destroy them, the kick to the arm was just a warning.

And when Zaria was angry, it was like the demon was right behind her with his followers, instead of her following him, the Devil himself was doing as told.

She was on a killing spree, and if anything happens to Kaz, anything, that will get him badly hurt.

It will be just like Achilles finding about Hector killing Patroclus.

she will drag that person's body around Ketterdam and every street 10 times if needed.

It may sound possessive, but Kaz Brekker was hers, and hers only. And she was his.

Zaria Isla was his. No one else's.

——♤——

Ah yes, I am falling in love with Zaria more. How over protective she can be and her threatening that bitch😫🛐

More Kaz and Zaria are coming😏

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.8K 357 19
"I want_" he stopped. "Never mind what I want...." His voice was quieter now. "What do you want?" "You. Always you!" 📍MATURE CONTENT📍 Part one: Ha...
38.3K 868 33
Arabella Oretsev was tested at the age of 8, and has been proclaimed a Tidemaker, and also has a weak secondary power: a Healer. She now lives in the...
23.9K 624 25
Completed "It's time for Dirtyhands to see the rough work done." -Leigh Bardugo (Six of Crows) Without his crew, Kaz has been left vulnerable. This c...
77.1K 1.7K 26
They may have grown up together and did everything in their power to stay together on the streets of Ketterdam, but neither will fully understand the...