Kingdom Come

By Anburwell

Jaehaera, the oldest child of Uhtred Ragnarsson and lady Gislea never cared for men. In fact the only one she... More

0. Kingdom Come
I. The Dane Slayer's Daughter
II. Bastard Son
III. Slavers
IV. The Return
V. Black Hole Sun
VI. Dead Men Tells No Tales
VII. From Eden
VIII. Bad Moon Rising
IX. Amor Prohibido
X. Angel of Small Death and the Codeine Scene
XI. Hold On Til May
XII. Flying or Crying
XIII. Can You Feel My Heart
XIV. Welcome To The Jungle
XV. Haunted
XVI. Death By A Thousand Cuts
XVII. The Story Of Us
XVIII. Something in the Orange
XIX. Angels on the Moon
XX. She
Author Note xoxo
XXI. 'Till I Collapse
XXII. Medicine Man
XXIII. Make It Out Alive
XXIV. Smells Like Teen Spirit
XXV. Safe & Sound
author's note
author's note pt2

XXVI. Come Together

1.2K 36 14
By Anburwell

He say I know you, you know me

One thing I can tell you is you got to be free

Come together, right now, over me

Jaehaera, Young Uhtred, and Sihtric rode together on their journey. They rode through Peacford now. "It's them, I know her horse anywhere," Jaehaera told the other two she rode with. Aethelflaed and Aldhelm must have heard their horses because they made their horses break off in a run ahead of them. Quickly, uhtred, Jaehaera, and Sihtric followed after them in hopes they wouldn't lose them. They had caught sight of their now abandoned horses, and Jaehaera and Sihtric knew they had to be hidden somewhere in this forest. The three of them had not meant to scare them, but Jaehaera did take a little bit of joy in the fact. The three of them got down from their horse and stood above them where the other two hid.

Sihtric smirked at Jaehaera and Young Uhtred, "Lady Aethelflaed," Sihtric called out, lowering his voice to make it sound different. "We know you're there!"

Young Uhtred smirked at his sister's boyfriend, but Jaehaera just rolled her eyes. Though Uhtred could see the smirk she was trying to hide. Jaehera watched as Aldhelm climbed out of their hiding spot and up to where the three of them stood. Aldhelm only recognized Sihtric because of Jaehaera who stood next to him, and he couldn't hide his relief. "Sihtric," he greeted. He sighed. "Lady, it's Jaehaera and Uhtred's men." Aethelflaed soon appeared with them looking tired but relieved. Jaehaera smiled at her and she returned it. "Thank God it's the three of you."

"My Lady," Sihtric smiled and bowed his head in greeting as the other two did the same. "Aldhelm," he greeted as well as the two shook hands. "You are not easy to find."

"Did Uhtred send you?" Aethelflaed asked. Obviously, Jaehaera thought, but she just nodded. "What news of my daughter?"

"She is safe," Jaehaera answered. "Uhtred has returned to Aegelesburg to bargain for your protection."

"And is Aelfwynn with him?" Aethelflaed asked. Sihtric and Jaehaera shared a look.

"She is being cared for," Sihtric answered gently. "But..she became unwell."

"The sickness?" she asked sadly.

"It may not be," Uhtred spoke quickly and hopefully. "She's traveled a great distance."

Aethelflaed nodded, "Take me to her." Jaehaera, young Uhtred, and Sihtric all shared a look. Praying to their different gods that Osferth and Eadith would still be there helping her when they got there.

They led them to where Osferth had last told them that they would be, but when their group at reach the forest, they found no one. The tents were empty. Aethelflaed came out of the main tent, and Jaehaera's heart sank. The air surrounding this place felt heavy and frantic. She looked at Sihtric and Uhtred and shook her head. "What? What is it?" Sihtric asked her gently.

"I don't know, but it's nothing good," Jaehaera answered quietly. "There's sadness and..and worry? I don't know the energy and feeling is hard to read."

Aldhelm returned from speaking with the woman they found here. "She says your daughter passed into the next life," he informed not only Aethelflaed but the other three as well. Jaehaera's eyes widened and her heart sank. Jaehaera took Sihtric's arm in her hand. Jaehaera felt her eyes begin to water, but she blinked them away. "And her body was taken to Aegelesburg," Aethelflaed said nothing but sniffled before walking past Aldhelm and to her horse once more.

"Aethelflaed," Jaehaera called softly, but the woman did not answer. Jaehaera looked at Sihtric and Her brother with sadness. Part of her did not believe it. She did not feel death, or taste it in the air when they had reached here.

"What are you thinking?" Sihtric asked as the men joined her.

"There's no taste in the air," Jaehaera answered. Aldhelm and Uhtred looked at her and Sihtric in confusion. "Death, Sihtric, it's not here, but something is wrong. I just don't know what."

"Sister, how can you be sure?" Uhtred asked quietly.

"I don't feel it," she repeated. "We need to get to Aegelesburg, now. She's not dead, but I don't know for how long."

"You're positive?" Aldhelm asked the girl. Jaehaera just looked at him like he should already know the answer. They had known each other for quite some time now. He nodded and their group quickly rode for Aegelesburg.

They arrived the next day at nightfall, and the gates were quickly opened to them and they were met with guards. Jaehaera looked at Sihtric in confusion. Tents were lining the road to the city, she thought because they wanted to enter considering the sickness. But why had they not been allowed in? she wondered. "Cenric, stand down your men," Aethelflaed commanded as soon as she stopped in front of the man who seemed to replace Steapa.

"Lady, I cannot," Cenric answered. "The king forbids it."

They didn't have time for this, Jaehaera thought as she rolled her eyes, fuck the King, let us pass you, oaf. "I am told this is where my daughter's body is," Aethelflaed told him. This is where your king has led us. Cenric, please, in the name of Alfred, open the gates and stand down your men," She pleaded. Jaehaera hated hearing her sound like this. After quite a bit of hesitation, Cenric let them pass and they rode through the gates. The unrestful energy returned to Jaehaera as soon as she crossed the threshold. The queen walked out to greet them at once. Jaehaera, Sihtric, and Uhtred got off of their horses as soon as Aethelflaed and Aldhelm had done so.

"Oh, my dearest girl," Queen Aelswith greeted as soon as she saw her daughter. "You've come home."

Aethelflaed seemed to finally let her tears fall. "Aelfwynn is dead," she sobbed.

Aelswith shook her head, and the three men looked at Jaehaera. Damn her, Sihtric thought with adoration. "No, child," Aelswith answered quickly, "a miracle has occurred, and you are mistaken in your heartbreak." Aethelflaed quickly walked into the hall, and the Queen followed only after nodding to the four of them. Jaehaera felt a small weight being lifted from her shoulders, and she turned and smiled with relief at Uhtred and Sihtric. She didn't think she could have bared it if Aelfwynn had passed.

"The gods are good," Jaehaera told Sihtric as he quickly embraced her, knowing she needed it. Uhtred left them to find his father, and Sihtric and Jaehaera left to find the rest of their family. They soon found Osferth, Stiorra, Rickon, and Pyrlig in a tavern drinking happily together. "To Sihtric and Jahaera, and Young Uhtred, too," Finan cheered before taking a big sip of his ale while the others nodded. "That they return safely. But if there's ale still left when they get here, then we have let ourselves down." The five of them laughed loudly, obviously drunk. Especially Stiorra.

"Singing my praises once again are you, Finan?" Jaehaera teased as she took his cup from him and finished the rest of it.

"You are a rotten thief, you are!" Finan spoke loudly as he wrapped her in a headlock. "But, yes, Jaehaera, I will sing many songs of your praises. You have many. Now, get your own cup, you little runt."

A barmaid quickly handed her and Sihtric cups at Finan's request. The two had finished their first cup when her father finally joined them with her brother. "To the lands, to the silver, and to the women! To Uhtred of Mercia!"

"Uhtred of Mercia!" everyone around repeated. Uhtred and Jaehaera weren't drunk enough to say it with full hearts. Jaehaera had a sinking feeling that this would not go over as smoothly as Edward had wanted. As anyone would want now that Aethelflaed has returned.

"Finally, he can pay us some money!" Rickon teased while wrapping a gigantic arm around Young Uhtred's shoulders. Uhtred slouched a bit from the weight.

"I very much doubt it," Pyrlig answered with the same teasing tone.

*********************************************************************

Sihtric woke first in their shared bed. Dogs barked outside, but it always amazed him how soundly she slept when she finally did fall asleep. He smiled down at her peaceful face, brushed a few stray hairs away, and tucked them behind her ear. The gentle touch and kiss on her forehead are what woke her. She had gotten used to seeing his face when she woke, and if she ever didn't see it, surely she thought she would go mad. "Good morning, beautiful," He told her softly before kissing her forehead once more and holding her closer to him.

"Morning," she mumbled sleepily as she shut her eyes once more. She turned to face him and bury her head in his bare chest. She could never understand just how he stayed so warm all the time. He was just hot...all the time. Both in physical appearance and temperature. They fit fully. She was cold and he was warm. Sihtric often used this as evidence that they were made for each other. Secretly she would agree with him.

Sihtric gently brushed out her wild, black mane of hair as she continued to slowly wake up. "Did you finally get to sleep well?" he asked her.

She nodded against him. "I think the ale was partly to help with that," she answered him. "That and the comfort you expertly give." Jaehaera smiled sleepily up at him.

"Is that right?" He asked her with a smirk.

Jaehaera nodded once again, copying his smirk tiredly. "Oh, yes, I've grown rather accustomed to this," she informed him, "so I expect nothing less. You have to be in my bed for me to sleep from now until the end of our days."

Sihtric nodded slowly, "I think I can somehow manage that." He smiled down at her, and she looked up at him. "No dreams?" he asked gently as he brushed her cheek gently, and she leaned into his touch.

She shook her head, "none," she answered.

"Good, I'm glad you were finally able to be well rested," he told her while placing his forehead on hers. He brushed their noses together before kissing her cheek. "As much as I would like to remain here in your bed forever, we must get up."

Jaehaera groaned sleepily, "no," she answered sadly. "My father does not need either of us that much."

He shook his head against hers, "you know we can't," he told her while kissing her cheek once more, and then down her neck very lightly.

"If you truly want me to get out of bed," Jaehaera began, "this is not the way to do it."

"Maybe we have a few minutes," he whispered against her ear, "or forty."

"Forty?" she smiled at the feeling of his lips on her ear, and his hands ghosting along her thighs up to her hips. As soon as she turned her head to connect their lips, there was urgent knocking on the door.

"Sihtric, Jaehaera, I know you're both in there," Finan's voice sounded. "Finish quickly with God knows what, and come join the rest of us for your father's baptism."

"Baptism?" She questioned quietly while Sihtric just looked at the door, and then back at her before shrugging.

"Did you not hear me!" Finan's angry Irish voice sounded once more. "Get out of her, and get dressed!"

"Alright!" Sihtric yelled back at the Irishman while looking down at her with a playful smirk. She just rolled her eyes at her love before shoving him off of her and to the side.

He looked up at her in nothing but adoration. "We will just have to continue this later, then," she told him while leaning down to let him think she would kiss him. Instead, she just bit his bottom lip gently and pulled away quickly. But she hadn't been quick enough, he wrapped his strong arms around her and held her against him as they both giggled like love-struck teenagers.

Outside the door, Finan just smiled and shook his head at their laughter before walking away. Soon after they had gotten dressed they stood with their family in the crowd to see her father get baptized...again. She had been told he had been 'washed' as he jokingly told her twice already. Both times by Beocca. She watched as he walked out in a pristine white robe.

"Lord God, drive from Uhtred all the blindness of his heart," Pyrlig spoke before blowing in her father's face. Both Jaehera and her father made the same face at the action which made Sihtric and Finan chuckle quietly. "We ask you, Lord, to mercifully hear our prayers and protect Uhtred. We mark him with the sign of your cross. God, who is the creator of all people, let us rejoice in the gift of grace bestowed on Uhtred that he could not attain on this earth, but only by divine blessing." Uhtred looked at Jaehaera, Stiorra, and young Uhtred.

Jaehaera knew her younger brother couldn't be thrilled about this. Everyone who truly knew her father knew he only did this because he had to. "You are now catechumen. I ask your sponsor to come forward." Edward stepped forward and stood next to her father. Then her father walked to the tub and took off the robe. A wooden board blocked the view of his nakedness from everyone who watched. Pyrlig guided her father down and placed his hand on his hand once her father had been fully submerged. "Recieve your servant Uhtred into the ranks of your devout saints and most bright angels. Let the water cleanse him so that he may know your wisdom to do what is just. Uhtred, you are now a child of God."

Oh yeah, the same goes for her and Sihtric, She thought as she looked at the ground to hide her rolling eyes. "Amen," Pyrlig spoke, and people around in the crowd repeated. Jaehaera, Sihtric, and Stiorra just mouthed 'amen', but did not speak it with the others.

*********************************************************************

"Yes!" Sihtric, Finan, and Rickon spoke as they led Osferth into the alehouse once more like the night before. Jaehaera just shook her head and laughed at the men as her sister followed her.

Osferth panted tiredly. "I don't think I can stomach another drop of ale, Finan," he told the men. And before he could fall to the ground after stumbling Finan and Sihtric quickly held him up. Jaehaera laughed at her other brother while shaking her head.

"Woah-oh!" Finan teased. "Everyone knows you cure like with like. So only more ale will make ya feel better."

"Makes perfect sense," Sihtric agreed while Rickon nodded.

Their group stopped in front of the barmaid and she and Stiorra smiled apologetically at her. "Let me introduce to you the new Lord of Mercia's most trusted advisors," Finan greeted. Jaehaera just looked flatly up at the Irishman while Sihtric hugged her from behind, holding her tightly to his chest.

"Mm," the barmaid began while eyeing all the men in front of her. "They do not look like Lord's advisors to me."

"How many advisors have you met?" Rickon asked her while he held Osferth up once more by the back of the monk's collar.

"None I suppose," she answered.

"Well, this is what they look like," Finan answered with a smile. Jaehaera and Stiorra just chuckled. "Now, fill our cups with ale, and we'll tell you what great plans we have for Mercia-"

"Please," Jaehaera interrupted to ask her nicely.

"Please, of course," Finan agreed, correcting himself.

"Hey, hey, hey," Rickon spoke to Osferth, as he began to sway and close his eyes. "Stay awake."

The barmaid just smiled and shook her head while handing Stiorra and Jaehaera their cups and then Finan. Stiorra was about to take a sip before Jaehaera and Finan stopped her. "Not her," Finan told the barmaid. Stiorra scoffed. "She will have milk."

"What?" Stiorra asked with annoyance.

"I'm not incurring the wrath of the Lord and Protector of Mercia on his first day-" Then before he could react, Stiorra took his cup and drank from it quickly. Jaehaera's mouth dropped, but she quickly smiled and laughed at her sister. Once she had finished the whole thing she set the cup back down on the table in front of them. Rickon and the other men didn't react. Jaehaera tried to hold in her laughter as she hid her face in Sihtric's shoulder. Then she couldn't help it anymore. Sihtric felt her shoulders move up and down as she laughed. He laughed as well, then the others followed. Finan wrapped an arm around Stiorra's shoulder.

Later on, Jaehaera rushed Osferth out of the ale house and gently rubbed his back as he vomited. "Better out than in," Jaehaera grimaced as she turned her head away.

"Clear the streets!" Jaehaera heard Centric shout as he walked through the streets. "Back to your homes!" Osferth was still vomiting in the street when soldiers followed Centric. One shoved Osferth and he stumbled as Sihtric joined them outside.

Drunk herself, Jaehaera shouted at the man as she and Osferth both almost fell to the ground. "Hey!" Sihtric warned the soldier as he held both Jaehaera and the monk upright. He leaned Osferth against the post and looked at Jaehaera. "Are you alright?"

She nodded and waved him off, "Yes, I'm fine." Osferth groaned once more.

"Hide yourself," Finan commanded Stiorra.

"Finan, I'm-"

"Stiorra," He warned the girl when she tried to protest. She glared at him for a second before doing what she had been told. Rickon now held Osferth up while Jaehaera draped herself in Sihtric's arms.

"Ensure that nobody resists, and the gates remain closed!" Centric shouted in the distance. Sihtric and Rickon walked both of their shadows to follow after Finan. "Guards of Wessex spread out! Take up your positions! Man the gates!"

"If today were not a celebration of the new Lord of Mercia," Finan began, "I would fear that King Edward's guards were seizing Aegelsburg." Finan, Rickon, and Sihtric weren't nearly as drunk as Jaehaera or Osferth. She clung to Sihtric like white on rice.

"They do not look like they are celebrating," Sihtric pointed out, and Jaehaera shook her head in agreement. Rickon just smirked at her.

"We need to find Uhtred," Finan informed them,"...and advise him." A soldier pointed his sword at their group. "Hey!" Finan warned before they walked to the hall to find Jaehaera's father.

They found the hall still holding the Witan. Aethelflaed sat on the throne, and not her father. Jaehaera tilted her head and Rickon and Sihtric chuckled at her confused kitten look that had returned. Uhtred heard their footsteps with the others and turned to watch them walk in. Jaehaera is still with Sihtric's arm around her. "King Edwards guards have taken control of Aegelesburg," Finan informed Uhtred, Aldhelm, and another man once they stood in front of them. Uhtred nodded and turned to face the center of the hall.

Rickon, Finan, Sihtric, and Jaehaera (now slightly soberer because of the drama that had caused) stood in front of the hall outside, guarding it in case something happened. Uhtred and Aethelflaed exited the hall, and down the steps. They were followed by Aldhelm and the Witan. Pyrlig met her father on the stairs. "Pyrlig, what is this?" Uhtred asked the priest.

"This is what happens when King Edward feels he's been insulted," Pyrlig answered. Jaehaera rolled her eyes.

"This is Mercia," Jaehaera reminded everyone before anyone could stop her. "He has no right."

"Jaehaera," Uhtred warned, but he and the others had to agree with her. Aethelflaed looked at the girl with a quick look of thankfulness.

"Pyrlig looked at the girl with a smirk, but then it turned to a look of annoyance with the 'King'. "I suspect he believes his army gives him the right," Pyrlig commented. Sihtric wrapped an arm around the girl's chest as he held her gently from behind.

"Let us not forget that Mercia and Wessex are allies," Aethelflaed voiced. Jaehaera nodded while holding onto Sihtric's arm with her hand to keep him against her. "I would like to speak with my brother."

"The king is at prayer," Pyrlig answered and once more Jaehaera rolled her eyes openly which made the priest smirk. "He says he does not wish to be disturbed."

"Please tell him I wish to see him," Aethelflaed told Pyrlig.

The priest nodded. "I will relay your message." Guards shouted in the distance as her father and Aethelflaed looked around them. Rickon, Sihtric, and Jaehaera all shared a wary look.

Aethelflaed and Uhtred lead everyone back into the hall. Sihtric held on tightly to Jaehaera's hand as they followed after her father with the others. "How could Edward seize Aegelesburg without opposition?" Uhtred asked.

"The Mercian Guard is leaderless without Eardwulf," the gray-haired Mercian she did not know answered. He stood to the left of Aethelflaed while Aldhelm stood at her right side. "The fyrd is disheartened and scattered."

"Without an army," Aldhelm began, "how do we respond?"

"We do nothing," Aethelflaed answered, and Jaehaera gave the woman a flat look. "Nothing, until I have had a chance to talk with Edward."

"And what if he will not talk to you?" Jaehaera questioned while Sihtric wrapped his arm around her once more.

"Then I will wait," Aethelflaed answered her. Jaehaera gave her a look that said, 'You've got to be barking'.

"Edward's men are everywhere," Aldhelm reminded everyone. "You're not safe here. Perhaps it would be wiser to move somewhere else."

Aethelflaed shook her head, "no, I remain here," she answered. Jaehaera looked between her father, Aethelflaed, and Aldhelm incredulously. Why is this woman hellbent on dying and or creating even more trouble for her father, and everyone around her? Jaehaera shook her head and looked up at Sihtric. They shared the same look.

"Even if that places you in danger?" Aldhelm asked her.

"My first act as Queen cannot be to flee Aegelesburg," Aethelflaed answered.

"Is that not preferable to being killed?" Jaehaera asked. All the men around her seemed to agree as they said nothing. She tilted her head while she looked at the woman she had known for a large part of her life.

"I hope it will not come to that," Aethelflaed replied. The two looked at each other for a few seconds before Jaehaera shook her head.

"So, we just sit here and wait?" Aldhelm asked flatly.

"Or we can eat and wait," she answered smartly. Jaehaera rolled her eyes. "Or later sleep and wait. But we wait. Because we cannot rush Mercia into conflict with Wessex."

Finan and Uhtred stood together and she could hear her father instruct him to guard her quarters. "What about her brother?" Finan asked.

"No one," Uhtred seemed to repeat. He looked at Jaehaera, Sihtric, Rickon, and Osferth. "You four, with me."

"Where, Lord?" Osferth asked as they all followed him immediately.

"To ensure Aethelflaed will not have to rely on Edward's goodwill for her survival," her father answered. The group quickly walked to the stables and rode out of Aegelesburg after Uhtred. They did not know where they were going, but they still followed.

*********************************************************************

Sihtric, Rickon, Osferth, and Jaehaera all followed after Uhtred as they lead a crowd of warriors from the surrounding villages to the gates of Mercia. Uhtred and Sihtric led one group, and Jaehaera and Rickon lead the other as the already gathered crowd of villagers cheered for them as they all passed. Uhtred and Sihtric met Jaehaera and Rickon in front of the gates as Aethelflaed and Aldhelm looked down at them from the ramparts. "Your fyrds are here for you," her father shouted up at Aethelflaed, "Lady of Mercia...Now you have enough men to fight your brother." The fyrd and crowd cheered. "And what order would you like to give your army?"

The men and crowd of villagers all cheered together. "To remain calm," she told them loudly and with confidence. Jaehaera had to admire her. Jaehaera knew some about politics from her father and was around the sorry people that had to deal with it. She never cared for it, but she admired Aethelflaed's ability to lead. "I will not sacrifice a single Mercian life unless it is absolutely necessary." The cheering stopped to hear her speak. "The fyrd will remain outside. But I have no doubt that Aegelesburg will soon be in Mercian control once again." Aethelflaed turned inward to command the men inside. "Open the gates for Lord Uhtred and his men," she spoke, "there is no need for them to be closed any longer." She turned her head to look at her brother, "My Lord, open them and you have my word that the fyrd will not enter the town without invitation. There need be no conflict between us." there was silence, and then the gates opened. As they opened and Uhtred and the other three rode inside once more, the crowd around them and the fyrd cheered. Jaehaera smirked at her boys and up at Finan and Stiorra who watched from the ramparts.

*********************************************************************

Stiorra found her brother at the stables with his horse. "Did you see what our father has done? It was incredible don't you think?" the last remaining part of her drunkenness faded when she saw he was packing. "What're you doing? You're leaving?"

"To go to Wessex," he answered, and she tilted her head at him. "I need time to pray, and reflect alone."

"Does Father know? Jaehaera?" Stiorra asked her brother.

"I made up my mind to go, and I know he will try to stop me," Uhtred looked down. "No...Jaehaere doesn't know. I won't go if I tell her. I know she will let me leave, but that goodbye would be too hard for either of us."

"Why must you go then?" Stiorra questioned.

"Father Beocca gave his life to save mine," Uhtred answered his sister. "The only way I can honor his sacrifice is by serving God well. That is what I am doing."

"Take me with you," Stiorra told him.

Uhtred looked at his sister in both hope and slight confusion. "You wish to go to an abbey?"

She scoffed, "no," she answered, "to Wessex where I can do as I wish."

Uhtred copied his sister's smirk, "And what is it you wish to do?"

"Anything," she answered once more. "Because anything is better than waiting here, bored until I am forced to marry someone I despise. I wanna live, that is all."

"As much as I would like it," Uhtred began, "I cannot take you with me. But your time will come, I'm certain of it." The two embraced. "Take care sister. You and Jaehaera will always be in my thoughts."

Jaehaera found her siblings and had been listening. Uhtred now sat on his horse, ready to leave when she slowly showed herself to them. "You weren't even going to wave at least?" she teased softly. The two younger ones turned to face their older sister. They looked at her with worry. "It's alright, I won't tell Father," she clarified while walking to them. She looked between them and then looked up at her brother on his horse. "Even though you are practically a man now, I still see you as a little boy asking Sihtric and Finan to train him..." Uhtred looked at his sister and they shared a somber look. "If you must go I will not stop you, or be unhappy with you." She took his hand, "But I will tell you that I am so proud of you and all you have done. I'm proud of the warrior and man you have become. You are following what you think is right, and you haven't wavered once from what you know to be true in the entire time we have spent together. Do not think Father, nor I would be disappointed in you. Just disappointed to see you go..."

"Send for me when you and Sihtric marry," Uhtred told his sister. Jaehaera smiled with glassy eyes and nodded.

"Of course," She told him, "we will need a priest." He looked at her in slight shock that she would ask him to do it, and not their father. "Don't look so shocked," she teased him, and they shared a small laugh. "You will always be in my thoughts as well. And prayers, even if you don't recognize mine and Stiorra's gods, you will still be in them."

"Thank you," Uhtred replied, feeling a knot in his throat. The two shared one last look before he cleared his throat and rode away from his sisters.

Jaehaera turned to Stiorra, "I know why you wish to leave," she told her. "I wanted the same thing as you. Life." Jaehaera brushed hair from her sister's face and held her cheek gently. "Do not think that father isn't letting you live. He only wants what is best for his children," she reminded her. Stiorra didn't look like she believed Jaehaera. "Father asked me once what I wanted with my life and I told him I wanted to fight alongside him for as long as I could," she informed her. "That I wanted life, adventure...to travel and see everything I could," she paused when Rickon and Sihtric caught her eye. The two girls looked at them. "And then I told him that it would never change as long as man never came along and made me want a life like our mothers. Life of a wife and mother." she turned her head back to Stiorra. "And he told me that all he and Mother would ever want for me is for me to be happy. He wants you to be happy, that is all. And he will not force you to marry a man you despise." Stiorra gave her another look of disbelief. "Stiorra, I promise you I will not ever let that happen to you, ever. I swear it."

Stiorra nodded reluctantly, "you promise?"

Jaehaera nodded confidently, and wrapped her sister's pinky with hers, "I promise."

*********************************************************************

"I heard about young Uhtred," Sihtric voiced when he found her still in the stables with Mareridt. She turned her head at his voice. "I am sorry."

Jaehaera sniffled and gave him a soft smile before shaking his head, "no," she answered, "Don't be. This will make him happy, and that's all I want."

"It is okay to feel sad about it though," Sihtric told her as he walked to the horse, petting his snout gently.

"I know," she answered him.

"Then what troubles you?" Sihtric asked. She both loved and hated how easily he could read her like the palm of his hand.

"I had my family whole..." she trailed off, "relatively anyway. And now it's somewhat scattered once more."

Sihtric took her into his arms as she rested her head on his chest. "Everything will settle once more like it always does," Sihtric told her softly. "You will see. He will be in good hands, and so will we."

"I hope you are right," She answered softly.

"Come now," Sihtric told her, "your father sent me to you. We are to meet him and the others at the alehouse." Jaehaera nodded and together they walked with Jaehaera's arm around his bicep all the way to her father and the others.

Together they sat down at the table with the others and for many minutes no one spoke. Finan held his head in his hands and Sihtric messed with his cup with his free hand. Rickon dropped the fork he had been messing with on the table by accident, and the rattling had been the only noise at their table in what felt like ages. Jaehaera couldn't take the silence any longer, it drove her mad. "Would someone please, for the love of all the gods, say something?" She groaned. "The silence is driving me madder by the second."

"I know you think we lost out on wealth and power," her father spoke finally, and Jaehaera exhaled before leaning against Sihtric and resting her head on his shoulder. "But we have something greater than that."

"Please do not say our friendship," Rickon teased. Everyone at their table chuckled.

"We need more ale," Finan commented.

"More ale it is, then," Rickon repeated before getting up and walking to the barmaid with a smile.

"Royal advisor?" She greeted him with an amused look.

He just smirked at her as he placed the pitcher that once held ale down on the counter. "Another jug of your finest and strongest ale, please lady," he asked her both flirtily and kindly. Jaehaera just shook her head and turned to hide her smirk in Sihtric's neck.

Jaehara looked back to see Eadith standing next to Rickon now, and Finan saw her and got up to walk to her. Eadith looked up at the Irishman with a smirk. "I will pay for your ale," she informed the two men but focused mostly on Finan. "And when you leave Aegelesburg, you might allow me to travel with you.." she told him. Jaehaera smiled at the two before sharing a look with Sihtric. "For safe passage."

Jaehaera watched Finan look at the woman for many moments and Eadith didn't break eye contact. Jaehaera smiled brighter when Finan turned to the barmaid. "Then make it two," he told the woman. Then once more he turned back to Eadith. Sihtric and Jaehaera watched with amusement as their two friends flirted with their respective women.

"They would be interesting, huh?" Sihtric whispered quietly to Jaehaera.

Jaehaera nodded, "if Finan could keep up with her, then yes," she answered while meeting Sihtric's eyes. He was looking at her as Finan was looking at Eadith, and Jaehaera never broke their eye contact.

"Sihtric, please stop looking at my daughter that way in front of me," Uhtred asked him kindly, but also firmly. Sihtric blinked and turned away from her at once as Jaehaera smirked. "Thank you."

Jaehaera snickered and Sihtric pinched her side lightly making her jump in surprise. He chuckled at her before leaning closer to him. He kissed her head gently before wrapping an arm around her to pull her closer.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.2K 694 33
"Lord, I would never say this to a Saxon, but she needs you. She is of two worlds, if someone were to find out, she'd be dead...She needs you, lord."...
745 33 7
As a child, Estrilda fled Danish invaders in Bebbanburg and settled in Wessex. She lived an unassuming life as a healer until the return of her broth...
6.2K 258 13
She had known many names throughout her life - men had the tendency to rename her. Her brothers had renamed her first, stripping her of her pa...
95.7K 2.9K 64
Lya Baratheon is the oldest and only biological child of Cersei Lannister and Robert Baratheon, but unlike her younger brother she is kind and gentle...