Midnight Neighbor | 18+

By akawaiiisan

♤♤ MATURE CONTENT warning ♤♤ • • • He's charming. He's handsome, hot as f*ck, talented, charismatic. People h... More

|| summary ||
0|| Disclaimer
1|| You're like, ancient Soph
2|| Negligence
3|| Unaware
4|| Her ignorance
5|| Familiar
6|| A Shocker
7|| Disbelief
8|| It will end in tears
9|| Realization
10|| Game
11|| Olivia
12||Harrassment and Assault
13|| Fail Safe Plan
14|| Risky
15||For his Sanity
16|| Conflicted
17|| Overreaching
18|| Shameless
19|| Blessing
20|| Undercurrents
21|| A Memorable Night
22|| Only for you
23|| Drive you wild
24|| Behind The Scenes
25|| Starved
26|| Much too Impulsive
27|| Interrogation at its Finest
28|| Dangerous urges
29|| Insatiable
30|| Snake (part 1)
30|| Snake (part 2)
31|| Unease
32|| Honesty
33|| Assumptions
34|| Bad Memories
35|| Who is that Woman
36|| His Persistence
37|| Unforseen Changes
38|| Banter
39|| Burning Curiosity
40|| Petrified
41|| Undercurrents Flow Once Again
42|| Unbelievable
43|| Oversight
44|| A Small glimpse is Enough
45|| Recklessness
46|| Show me
47|| Accidents and Confrontations
48|| Say it
49|| Exposed
50|| First Impressions Last
51|| Two Truths and a Lie
52|| Always Two Steps Ahead
53|| Silent Wars
54|| Then comes the Fall
55|| A Gift
56|| Contempt
57|| Hurt people
58|| Importance
59|| Quite the Scare
60|| Making Plans
61|| Her Dominance -Shortlived
62|| Angst
63|| Theft of Joy
64|| Uncertainties
65|| Under Pressure
67|| Motherly Woes
68|| Blame
69|| Bittersweet
70|| Priorities
71|| Art of Gathering Information
72||Cater to You
73|| Keep a Secret
74|| Love so Pure
||Content With You {MN extras 1/?}
||Content With You {MN extras 2/?}
|| Her neighbor {MN extra 1/?}

66||Miranda

4.2K 252 156
By akawaiiisan

Unedited~

• • •

Restlessness.

That was the only word that could be used to describe Jiho currently as he placed back and forth without pause.

As he went to and fro, stopping and turning...something akin to anxiety seemed to chew on his chest. The feeling was no different from being smothered. There was no calm in his gait, only a strange figety nervousness that seemed to eat him up whole. Both inside and out.

Jiho did not care about how he might've looked to the two bodyguards standing close by, holed up in the singular and private VIP waiting room. The room sat on the second floor, located inside a wide and typically huge modernized building with many sections. This was Mercy INTL Airport. It was perched only some ways off the coast with enough airstrips to occupy the spot of being the most proficient Air Travel agency in the state.

Jiho snapped out of his nervous daze and under the vacant eyes of the bodyguards, he chewed on his nails.

When he finally sat, he couldn't stop one of his legs from bouncing up and down. He didn't sit for too long, soon after he got up and started pacing back and forth.

Unbeknownst to him, his actions even made the others feel uneasy, which was a lot to say considering their training.

Jiho was lost in his own bubble.

How many years had passed...? He wondered, how many years since he last saw and heard of his older sister who before now, lived in his memories.

How long...?

Too long. He came to the conclusion.

Miranda...she went no contact for so long and even if he got curious about her whereabouts after he got older, he didn't dare encroach on her privacy or try to locate her after the huge fallout. No one did in fact. He wasn't made privy to any information in that regard even if his father or older brother sought her out.

He was just a year or two younger than Amelia when she left, near 15 or 16 when the ball dropped and she stormed out. Amelia wasn't even over ten and their baby sister...Evangeline was simply that, a young toddler.

Jiho gulped and when his legs started to ache, he sat down again in the closest chair, checking his watch as he'd done countless amounts of times before.

Only a few minutes left...

Jiho took a deep breath.

After he got that call, he had quickly exused himself from the hospital as if his feet was on fire. It took nearly half an hour to get to Mercy International airport and not long after he stepped on the pavement, someone from staff was already there to greet and take him to the VIP waiting area as requested. It was much different and more preferred than sitting in the rows of chairs near the boarding area amongst the crowd anxiously.

With the resourcefulness he copied masterfully from his older brother, everything was prepared in timely fashion. Security, transportation, etc. He even went another length to keep the news of her return from spreading haphazardly to the rest of the family and cause a commotion. The very moment her private jet landed, he'd receive her and what else...he wasn't quite sure.

Did she come back because news of his brothers injury spread? Most likely. Jiho could already imagine the coming scene and it left him without appetite. He'd take her to his brothers side immediately but...what's worse....Julianne, his mother was there, in that private hospital.

If one thing was certain...Miranda did not get along well with Mother following that huge scandal that got dragged for nearly a month before being wiped from the media. Jiho's head hurt more as he thought. This was just a slow steaming pot of disaster waiting to overflow. They didn't part of good terms...it would be no different than a grease fire explosion if they got caught up in their grievances again.

Without his brother or his father as a mediator...if that happened now...Jiho swallowed thickly and didn't want to imagine it.

In passing, he checked his watch once more and saw the hands move. Jiho stilled then breathed a final heavy sigh.

It was time.

♤♧♤

The unfamiliar private jet landed smoothly on the landing strip without even the slightest visible turbulence. Jiho watched from the huge thick floor to ceiling glass and as it slowed down on the strip. When he got indication from the staff that it was clear and safe to go out, he straightened his tie and shoulders and left the building after going down a fight or stairs and out a heavy looking iron fortified door.

It took a few minutes to actually leave the huge building and step onto the wide and flat stretch of pavement outside. Over distant the noises of vehicles and planes taking off/landing on separate strips, Jiho could almost hear his own heartbeat as the pilot taxied over and soon brought the huge metal contraption to a stop. It was sleek and barely had any colors beyond fresh white and red accents.

Jiho waited, he waited for quite a while. His nerves grew and another new feeling rose up in his chest with the others. He got so anxiously exited that he momentarily forgot the pressure and stress of late. The ultra light feeling in his chest was stimulating him in the purest of ways.

Then...the door finally opened.

It was automated, rolling out then down and unfolding into a perfect ebony colored short staircase that barely made a sound as it hit the concrete pavement. It took a second before Jiho could see anyone inside and his poor heart was pounding,  threatening to beat right out of his chest as he waited in suspense.

He was not nervous, he fiercely convinced himself. Why would he be?

Was he particularly ultra close with his oldest sister before the mishap? Not exactly but their interactions back then. Remembering how she teased and treated him no different than a snot nosed child he couldn't help the tinge of red on his cheeks. This was...nearly overwhelming.

Oh what the hell, he inwardly sighed. Of course... he was close to melting from his nerves. What did she look like now? just as he remembered? Older? The same as his brother? What was she like now? Where did she go? She sure appeared well off even without money from the family...how did she hide from the media?

He didn't know anything beyond her frigid and standoffish voice over the phone an hour ago. The pure puzzlement he felt...was valid.

Jiho swallowed thickly and his heart even lurched in his chest as he finally saw some movement in the visible space. Still...it wasn't her as he expected. It was a man who steadily made his way down the short lavish staircase of their private jet.

He was dressed simply in a tailored suit, looked around the same age as Jiho's older brother...maybe even older and from this distance Jiho could tell he was Asian, noticeably from his features and inky black hair. He stopped after coming down the staircase, looking around briefly but didn't go further, even as he spotted Jiho and the rest of the welcoming entourage some yards away.

Catching the glimpse of someone else, jihos heart lurched again, then he cursed at it after seeing it was only another woman, not his sister.

She looked just as formal as the man before, petite, obviously Asian, and after taking measures steps, she stopped right beside the first man. Both of them exchanged some words which led Jiho to believe they shared some familiarity. The other two who followed looked like air hostesses and finally after another long minute, Jiho caught another movement inside.

Jiho eyes left the others and his eyes snapped upwards. This time, it felt as if his breath vacated his body in short fashion. Then it returned with to his lungs vengeance.

Its...her!

There was no doubt.

Mia...

That was his sister steadily coming down the staircase with slow yet dainty steps.

Miranda Osoro, his brother's twin...his older sister. Dressed in a long, dark blue silky dress, a soft looking shawl around her shoulders. What would've looked simple on anyone else only looked luxurious when worn by her. Her height and likeness was no different than his brother's yet instead of being overbearing in this fashion, she appeared level and collected. Instead of being manly she simply looked softer although if both stood together kne could clearly see the unmistakable resemblance.

Her hair was done up with not a strand out of place and only a traditional-looking hair pin held it all up together. When she got to the last step, the man from before was quick to put forward a hand which she took as she stepped down.

Her eyes were piercing and the moment her feet touch the ground, they surveyed the scene with hawk-like steadiness then zeroed in on Jiho who stood by, appearing inconspicuous.

Jiho swallowed his nerves and put on a gentle smile. If he could work for his brother without faltering from fear...this shouldn't be too hard... he thought as he journeyed over the short distance to meet them with a smile.

While he was beating himself up, wondering how to properly address her after so long, she did so first, much to his relief.

"Jiho-" she spoke in a very odd tone looking him up and down.

Jiho, under this scrutiny, tried not to fidget as he held out his hand. He didn't think she'd do too nicely with a hug or anything similar so he banished that thought and action from his mind. "Miranda-" his voice trailed off as she moved, instead of shaking his hand  her hand went higher, as if to...

Jiho sucked in a quiet breath, cutting himself off. He couldn't help it, she was so similar in his brother in every way. Even now felt like an outer body experience as he met her again after so long. Not only that but...she was tall, like his brother too.

Her hand touched his head which was not what Jiho expected, "Taller..." she murmured more to herself than him, "than I remembered." She ignored his reactions as she further scrutinized and observed him, as if looking though produce in an isle. "Not as chubby," her hand felt his hair then moved on to his face, "You grew."

Jiho was lost for words.

He was a grown man, why was she treating no different than an aunt commenting on their nephew-! He kept his inner grievances to himself. Wasn't she like this...back then too? All of them used to tease him...didnt Marcello picked that up from her as well?

Jiho didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Remembering the group of people surrounding them, his face slowly tinted red. Miranda paid him no mind as she felt his cheeks, smothering him and even pinching and pulling with a small frown. "You haven't been eating well," she pointed out her little observation, "And your eyes, it's all dark under here."

Jiho wanted to groan. Again, he was a grown man now, yet somehow she still treated him no different than the kid she saw him as before she left.

It was just as Jiho feared.

He had a thought that maybe she'd show indifference towards him...judging from her voice over the phone. But, he was proven horribly wrong.

"Its him? Elijah?" She sighed as her hands stopped its abuse with his poor flushed face, "How is he?"

As her hands moved away and they began walking again back to the building, Jiho with his red face didn't know how to respond and coughed a few times to regain his composure. "He's..." was Elijah okay? His surgery went well but he hadn't even showed signs of waking yet...Jihos mood dipped into sourness and solemnity.

"-I could take you to him?" He made a suggestion instead.

She didn't quickly agree but he did notice as she frowned a little, she gave him a side eye as they walked, "And who's with him? Currently?"

"Mom-" Jiho began and quickly paused afterwards, noticing how dim her stare got at that mention. It was true though, his mother was at the hospital and his father was elsewhere, his siblings and relatives were most likely still at the family home.

"Of course, her pride and joy-" Miranda muttered the latter part to herself with a very indifferent expression. "And who else knows I'm here?" She finished.

Jiho immediately held up his hands, "No one, at least I think so...maybe dad already got the news but mom's...busy right now so it's unlikely and Amelia and Eva they're elsewhere." Jiho wasn't too sure, with his family's connection and reach, it was only a matter of time before the news spread.

"Good," she seemed satisfied with this much, "Still...I won't be here for long," she sounded dismissive and later stopped and turned to him, "Just have someone give Kenji the details and the location to his hospital, and my assistants here too so she'll get us a hotel for the night-"

"Oh you don't need to," Jiho quickly rushed out, "I've already-"

"No need, they'll handle it," she waved him off, "-what you can do for me now is just...tell me what happened, why my brother is in the hospital right now...?"

Jiho pursed his lips.

"And while you're at it...I happened to come onto some other news while on the way here...my brother wasn't alone-"

Jiho knew exactly where this was going and could only sigh.

"He was with someone when it happened," she continued, "Jiho, I need to to tell me everything."

♤♡♤

Hours went by like seconds and unknowingly, a day went by but this was all irrelevant to one particular person who couldn't differentiate between night or day.

This can't...keep happening. Sophia had this thought as once again, she groggily woke up with dull aches all over her body.

She felt positively awful.

A very common feeling yet one she couldn't get used to even though that nurse sung about her surprisingly fast recovery time.

A deep sense of loss was eating away at her stomach as she came to and got sober and awake enough to open her eyes. It took a lot of energy to do something as simple as that and it made her irritated, she stared at she ceiling for quite a while as she thought.

She was careful to not act up again, knowing what it led up to for the last two times and she was unsure of how much time had passed since those two nurses put her to sleep again, 'for her own good'.

They were the one's who said she recovered quickly? Why on earth did they appear so appalled seeing her getting up the bed? Acting all brand new?

Although Sophia wanted to scream from frustration, she held that feeling in until it became suffocating. She frowned. Being here, weak and not knowing where or how Elijah was hurting even moreso than her current state and gave her the feeling of unrest. She had to begrudgingly admit that mystery medicine helped her sleep because everytime she closed her eyes she'd see one of two things. Elijah's hurry and concern back then and also one man...Ethan.

But what could she do? She learnt it had only been a some days since the incident, days since both her and Elijah got shot and injured by that...man, whoever he was. She remembered some parts clearly now and couldn't keep it off her mind. Laying like this everyday forced her to think and those thoughts spurred her to try and move thinking no one was monitoring her state.

The entire memory wasn't very clear though and she summed it up to the trauma.

Sophia knew all that medicine that made her groggy wasn't gone yet because she didnt even have the strength to turn her head and look for her mother and the others. She didn't even know she fell asleep again until she woke up bit later when the sun could be seen clearly shining through the partially windows.

She felt a lot better now. Those nurses were her enemy, she swore on it but was glad she felt reinvigorated now. She didn't get too bold though. Moving a lot made the slightly wrapped skin around her back and chest tingle. Sophia was afraid those nurses would come back again with those good awful needles so she kept quiet.

What she wanted the most was to stretch her legs but knew they wouldn't approve of that either. Sophia pursed her lips then felt her chest under the soft material of her gown. At first, she was too distracted by her bandages to notice her surroundings. But soon enough, the sound of flipping pages entered her ears.

Sophia paused then slowly turned to the chair not too far from her bedside, she expected to see her mom sitting there but...it was strange...who was that? Sophia went still for nearly a minute, like a deer staring into the headlights of a 3 ton trailer barrelling towards it.

She was a little concerned at first, that person...that woman, she looked so familiar it was laughable...Was she still high on those meds? Sophia turned away from the person who sat like a well carved statue and busied themselves with many hand held documents and went back to staring at the ceiling.

She wanted to cry a little. She missed Elijah so much..she already started hallucinating his weirdly specific look alikes.

She wanted to see him so badly...

She closed her eyes and drew in a shaky breath. What was it? Why on earth was she here? That mother of his was crazy, it was clear now.

Sophia couldn't remember offending the woman in away. How on earth could she behave amicable with someone like this from now on, their true colors was revealed. As Sophia sat in her thoughts she only felt more depressed and helpless.

What would happen eventually? Since it was a crime for her to move, would she have to wait for Elijah to come here himself?

She had no doubts that he would...

If he could.

Sophia thought when and not if because she believed he would come eventually. Was she wrong to think so? Of course not, that was just how he was.

Still...

Once again her eyes snapped to the figure sitting not too far away and she laughed a little to herself, settling into the bed more comfortably.

How strange, it was if that woman was...

Hearing the rustle of fabric, the lady looked up from the bundle of documents and their eyes met for the longest minute.

Sophia physically jolted a little. What the absolute...fuck!?

"Oh I'm sorry..." the woman began, "you're awake?" Her voice wasn't soft in away, in fact, everything about her seemed...edgy. Not only that but her resemblance to a certain person Sophia was very familiar with made her weak heart erratic.

It was almost uncanny. Sophia's heart couldn't take it.

One again she blamed those damn nurses and their medicine which made her slow and sleepy. Why the fuck did she think this woman was a figment of her imagination? She was real!

She looked like a much softer and feminine version of Elijah yet her eyes alone made Sophia feel as if she was staring into his clone. Not only that but as Sophia looked her down, she swallowed internally, the woman wore a light checkered short sleeve shirt and without a coat, her arms were exposed. Sophia could see the very obvious outline of a traditional, definitely not western, dragon going up and around one of her arms further disappearing into her shirt.

...What a surprise, even she had tattoos too.

As if she saw her stare, the woman's full and neat eyebrows went up as she looked down, "It's pretty isn't it?" she sounded pleased then her eyes took on a look of displeasure, "Although a certain few didn't agree back then."

Sophia nodded slowly but was still reeling.

First she was put to sleep and now she woke up to some weird woman in her room. Looking around, Sophia didn't see anyone else with them either. How...strange.

"But, enough of that," the woman placed the papers in her hands by the table and got up, Sophia experienced another round of shock, seeing how tall she was. Not as tall as Elijah but still...enough.

Like a runway model, her figure matched the description as well. Even though the black flowly skirt she wore went down to her ankles, it only accentuated her figure more. Sophia felt as if the older woman's radiance was blinding.

This was too much.

"You're...Sophia Smith?" The older woman asked as if to verify.

Sophia hesitantly nodded. As she did, something else occured to Sophia and she connected the dots with a jolt.

Wait...no way...

"Mia?" She blurted the one thing she remembered, more as a question than anything.

The woman paused, both of her neat eyebrows went upwards again, then for the first time she smiled, revealing rows of straight white teeth, "So he did mention me," she sounded relieved, "makes this plenty easier."

Unbeknownst to Sophia, this simple thing confirmed a lot to Miranda. If Elijah was willing to divulge into her matter with his partner, it was obvious he regarded their relationship seriously.

Sophia continued her observed. Miranda's hair was long almost down her waist, and dark as night, she lifted a hand to clear some shorter strands away from her face and behind her ear. Sophia tried not to frown, this woman also reminded her off...Juilianne, Elijah's mother.

Sophia started looking around, hoping to find something or someone to explain the current situation. Her heart was thumping in her chest.

She was expecting Elijah...why on earth was his sister here! And she wasn't even in her best shape right now!

"What's going on," seeing no one, Sophia resorted to asking Miranda the one question that plagued her.

"Oh it's nothing..." Miranda smiled at first, then her eyes turned solemn. "I received unfortunate news and came here to check on my brother," she frowned a little, as if the fact that he got  shot was absurd to think about.

"then I...I heard about you."

Sophia distinctly remembered Elijah's words back then and wondered...Was it not true? That Miranda wanted nothing to do with him or the family? She sure as hell looked concerned now.

No, Elijah wouldn't lie about something like that. Sophia was sure.

S

ophia didn't know how to feel under the gaze of that woman. Miranda's rapid interest and concern. "You heard about me?"

"Yes!" Miranda regained her spirit, "And I must admit, you look a lot better in person than in those awfully blurry photos-"

Sophia smiled, despite herself.

Seeing this, Miranda perked up. "Would you like to sit up? I could call a nurse and get them to raise your-"

"NO!" Sophia replied a little louder and quicker than she intended, "I mean-" she coughed, "no doctors, no nurses, I'm good."

"Oh, okay," Miranga smiled magnanimously. It made Sophia strangely comforted. Again...the uncanny resemblance to the love of her life was something to get used to.

"And I'm glad you're okay, and awake," She continued, "the doctor said you were recovering well, I know Elijah...he'd be pleased to hear this as well..."

"How is he?" Sophia immediately asked.

Miranda suddenly sighed, "I haven't gone to check on him myself yet," She looked perturbed by that fact, "But he's recoving well I hear."

Sophia pursed her lips, then nodded. This much would have to suffice but it made Sophia irritated all over again. She hated that she could only wonder.

"I hope you don't mind, I've learned what I needed to from Jiho," Miranda smiled all off a sudden but there was another new edge to her eyes.

"Its okay," Sophia nodded, quite unsure what she was referring to but not motivated enough to ask, "Oh, Jiho's here?" Maybe she could get some more news about Elijah from him.

"Yes, yes," Mia glossed over it.  "But that's not important," She started again with a question, "Tell me Sophia...would you like to get out of here?"

Sophia couldn't help it, stilled hearing those words leave Miranda's lips.

"Leave?" It was as if the clouds had opened up and God's pure light was shining down on Miranda. Sophia almost couldn't believe it. Didn't dare to believe this was her way out...from the person she last expected, in fact...this person wasn't even on her list-!

"I can go to him?" Sophia's heart was beating wildly now. So much so she felt exhausted a little, getting worked up like this. She didn't care that the heart monitor exposed her excitement either.

"I can arrange it." 

Miranda's answer made Sophia stare at her for a long while. Then Sophia blinked when her eyes started to feel dry, "I dont...understand, but you said you didn't-?"

Mia drew closer, "Yes yes, I didnt go to him, mostly because I wanted to meet you first, Sophia."

This shocked Sophia even more.

"-And just so were properly introduced, I'm Miranda...Miranda Osoro," as she spoke, Sophia thought she looked a bit irritated to refer to herself with that last name. "And you're-" she suddenly got brighter, "my brother's soon to be wife and fiance-"

Sophia choked on her own saliva the moment she heard the latter part of that sentence. Her surprise led to her dissolving into a pained coughing fit that lasted a minute longer than Sophia thought necessary, still she couldn't help it. That gave her a whiplash. Miranda stood there in confusion.

Seeing that, Sophia wanted to yell.. Where did Miranda get that news from?!

"Are you okay?" Miranda came even closer again, Sophia noticed she was close enough to her bed to sit and that Miranda did without reserve, as if they were close...like sisters. Her hand immediately went to Sophia's forehead. Sophia barely made a sound. From up close, Miranda was putting her through even more of a crisis.

Was personal space purely a figment of collective imagination among this bunch?

"I'm fine," Sophia pulled away further into the soft pillow, "But that's not-"

"The specifics isn't important-" Miranda interrupted her speech with a gentle motherly smile. Once again, Sophia found herself doubting whether Elijah was telling the truth back then. This woman looked like she cared...a lot.

"But-"

"Good now as I was saying, I got the outline of this current...situation in full details from my younger brother, Jiho-"

Sophia immediately realized. Ah! It was him! Spreading misinformation. She'd have a chat with him later-!

"-And let me just apologize on behalf of my mo- Julianne..." Miranda spoke suddenly through a tight smile that lacked everything genuine 

"-That woman...she haven't changed, not one bit but don't worry, I'll help...if it's anyone who's familiar with this....side of hers, it's me and I'm really sorry you had to go through that on top of," Miranda gestured around them, "-this and your injury."

Sophia nodded, in a daze.

"I came to check on my brother but I'll stay a little while longer to get this sorted," She smiled, something indescribable brewing in her dark eyes, "-now, let me ask again Sophia, would you like to leave here? Now?"

Sophia felt compelled to answer. Miranda's eyes...they were kind yet fierce and the way she spoke...it was filled with authority. There wasn't a doubt this was Elijah's sister, not only that but in contrast to Elijah's cold and decisive nature, Sophia felt something explosive brewing beneath those seemingly calm eyes of hers, waiting to erupt...like a bomb with a really short fuse alit.

There was only obvious dislike when she spoke of her own mother, which made Sophia wonder. She didn't get to ask Elijah why his sister left..maybe this was her chance to get that curiosity out of her system.

But what if...what if it was personal.

Sophia swallowed thickly and looked away to prevent herself from impulsively dampering the mood. "Okay.." She spoke softly. In truth, she'd agree to anything right now if it meant seeing Elijah again, even if she didn't quite trust or know the woman now in front of her. After see agreed, she felt a sudden lightness in her chest, no different from relief. Sophia looked around.

"Where's my mom? Where's everyone?" She asked in a tired voice. She just woke up and this discussion already exhausted her.

"They're just outside the room," Miranda quickly answered, "I just needed a moment, since you're awake now, I'll send for them."

Sophia waited for Miranda to get up and leave and watched her wearily but she didn't even move. A few unnerving minutes later, the door opened and her mother walked in, followed closely by Jiho.

Seeing this, Sophia wanted to laugh at her guess, Miranda was telepathic?

Ah.. and when did those two get so familiar. Sophia briefly wondered. Maybe she used up too much of her energy and maybe the drugs really hadn't worn off like she thought. This was the last thing Sophia remembered thinking then her world went black in the next moment.

♡♤♡

When Jiho entered the room, the first thing that entered his sights was a sleeping Sophia and his sister who sat on Sophia's bed with very little regard for personal space.

His cheeks burned in embarrassment on her behalf yet as she got up, She appeared unphased.

Maria went to Sophia's bedside and both Miranda and Jiho left the room to speak.

Miranda was the first to do so, her gaze held him roited to one spot. "What's the update on the transfer?" 

Jiho stilled, "Transfer? But...I thought...?"

She gave him a look. Jiho swallowed thickly. "Why not? This is simply doing what should've been done in the first place."

Jiho didn't remember her mentioning anything about a patient transfer but didn't say that part  out loud. Like his brother, Miranda expectations for him was high, still.. he couldn't read minds, how on earth was he supposed to know this was what she intended to do.

A vacation...after this he needed long vacation. Jiho promised himself.

"What if the request for transfer gets..." blocked, Jiho didn't say the rest out loud. It was a bit absurd yet if his mother was involved, he couldn't rule it out.

"They would dare?" A steely glint flashed through her eyes as she turned towards him, "If she's as important as you say...why on earth is she still here?"

"That's because-"

"Whatever it is.." Miranda cut him off, "-I will not allow it any longer," she shook her head with a deep frown, "They don't care, you're the only one here to oversee this and it shouldn't be that way."

"But-"

"If they had an ounce of care or regard, someone would've been here, even a doctor or a nurse in cahoots with them, and me being here, in this country now after so many hours would've already  gotten reported back to them hours ago but no, don't you see Jiho, they're horrid-"

"We can't just sign off on this," Jiho felt as if his head was starting to hurt, this was chaos waiting to happen. "I don't think this approach is appropriate, Sophia's still recovering, still sensitive, the atmosphere there won't be suitable-"

Miranda chuckled while raising a brow. "So this was your plan?"

Jiho scratched the nape of his neck, "Well I was just...I was gonna wait for Eli-"

"Of course you were. God, I'm glad I came when I did," Miranda spoke with a sigh.

"-It's okay, I get that they're your senior, your authority can only go so far with Elijah..being in that state," she frowned suddenly, "Ahh, that idiot, he should've made his intentions clear and nipped all opposing factors and opinions from the bud, maybe then they'd have an ounce of respect for his damn partner," she lifted a hand to the bridge of her nose, "Sloppy, just awfully sloppy overall, I'm so disappointed-" she sighed audibly.

Jiho watched in silence but...even he agreed. His brother let it fester for too long, staying away from the family, keeping Sophia glued to himself. This result...was it really that obscure?

"But it is what it is," she sighed again and straightened. Her now serious gaze snapped to Jiho, they had that familiar fierceness. "-It's you, you can't be the one to sign off on this, you're still afraid of her...but I'm not, infact, I'll sign and pay that damn fee so get it done right now, whatever Julianne has to say, she can say it to me-!"

Miranda gave him one last look and stormed off with literally fire in her eyes. "My brother is hurt, he can't wake up to this...tension. I won't allow it."

"Just who does she think she is?" Miranda continued to mutter even as she left Jiho's sight. This situation was especially triggering for Miranda.

Jiho watched her leave with his heart once again starting to beat in his ears.

This would not going as smoothly as he sincerely hoped it would. He knew exactly the kind of chaos that'd come from his mother and Miranda being in one place. It was the kind that could wake up the dead. He remembered the argument before she left quite vividly too but he was...young.

He really shouldn't have included everything when she asked what was going on but his sister knew about her existence so he thought...why not? Now this was the result of his decision.

Jiho took a deep breath. In an out. He felt a headache coming on. After this...he'd definitely touch his untouched days of unlimited PTO. This was too much, his hair was starting to get a few graying strands from the stress and that scared him the most.

There needed to be some deliberation then signoff and discussions done with both hospitals for a transfer like this. All in all, this was just more work put on his shoulder. What's worse, he was sure his mother wouldn't like this...not one bit. That reason was mostly why he wanted to wait. If Elijah woke up and wanted it done, it'd be over with in seconds but since Elijah was like that, this would be hellish. That hospital was private and influental among people of upper classes, it also had close ties with the Osoro name, Didn't Dr Yuri's family hold huge parts in it's operations as well? Jiho sighed and swore the second there was the slightest pushback, he'd throw the reigns of it all onto Miranda.

This was above him.

As Jiho left went on with it despite himself, it was clear the separation was purposefully done because there was some hiccups in getting it approved. But as he planned, The second there was a push back in those few hours he was more than happy to pass the baton over to his sister who then passed it over to her capable companions who then worked on and had it approved in only a couple more hours.

The next morning, Sophia and everyone close to her was informed and the transfer went off without a hitch although there was some hesitances at first.

Miranda observed from afar, pleased with the fact that Sophia was noticeably better and more radiant than when they first met which meant the move wouldn't affect her health in anyway. On the other hand, knowing it was finally time, Miranda felt nothing but indifference at the thought of meeting that woman again.

The one woman who caused her so much pain and struggle from birth. As her mind thought back, she instinctively touched her arm. Miranda stood for a long while and in the end, she had to shake her head a little to get rid of unpleasant memories.

♤♡♤

Jiho was the first to leave and the first to arrive in the the private hospital where his brother was kept.

It was a tall three story building with a huge lavish facility that was not open to the public in anyway. It was far from free and boasted only the finest doctors and equipments and one could only occupy the top brasses of society in order to be admitted here. Not only that, it was well guarded, armed to the teeth to prevent unsightly individuals and paparazzi eager to capture the next big scoop about some celebrity or politician's health.

It was also very expensive. It felt like Jiho was loosing a dollar every second just standing here in the main lobby area sectioned off from the emergency ward and all other areas.

Jiho was spared the long verification from the door security simply because his family name gave him that opportunity. Before now, he had thought long and hard whether or not to sit and wait for his sister and Sophia's close family. Sophia herself would most likely come in an ambulance and with the hospitals efficiency, her room was already ready and waiting.

Jiho had that thought, then he had another.

His mother, he wanted to see her again just to ask one question. That's why he hurried here before them. He needed to brave up and ask her why.

He began walking the path he already memorized. It didn't take long for him to get to his destination and once again, he was untouched by security.

Jihos feet took him right to where he remembered, and as he rounded the corner of an hallway leading up to his brothers ward, he was surprised to see a small group standing in the hallways, discussing heatedly amongst themselves.

Strange, weren't these close relatives at their family home the last time he checked? He recognized his aunts and even one family elder, an old man with graying hair and a very disagreeable frown on his face. The family elders held importance simply because they were industrious and started what Elijah later expanded beyond bounds. They all held a percentage of Osoro.co shares and other miscellaneous assets which they could will to anyone which was which everyone not apart of the main family sucked up to them.

A percentage was still a percentage although small...

His aunts, uncle in law and even an elder from the family...what wind blew through here today?

All of them were speaking, no, more like arguing amongst themselves, even sometimes over the other and the head of this group, was his own father, Dominic.

Jiho blinked.

Just what had happened in the last few hours when he was busy with Sophia's transfer?

Jiho looked around, thankfully, he spotted his sister, Amelia, lingering in the outskirts and looking as if she'd rather be anywhere but here.

The group of five in total were much too distracted to notice him, but Amelia did and quickly extricated herself from the outskirts of whatever that was. Her relief was palpable as she nearly ran into Jiho.

"What's going on?" He asked the second she got within hearing distance.

She grabbed him, and Jiho let himself get pulled away and further around the bend where he came from.

She stopped the moment they were fully out of sight, then looked up at him with pleading eyes, "Oh thank god! get me out of here!"

Both of Jiho's brows went upwards at her begging. "That doesn't answer the question-" he peeled off her hands that was crumpling his shirt.

"Well," She took a deep breath and spoke in a rush, "-Dad visited home and I only came with him here to see my brother, but we walked into this," She pouted, "My brother's okay but they're here suddenly most likely came to speak with Mom, and now that Dad's here, he definitely won't leave now."

Jiho couldn't understand, "But why to speak with Mom? What's that about? Where's mom?" Jiho felt a touch of foreboding rise and spread through him.

She stared at him little weirdly, "You know she won't leave Elijah's side, she practically lives here-"

Jiho gulped. Not good, especially right now.

"Then what's that about-"  he gestered to the scene around the corridor.

Amelia made a face, "They're, quote unquote, concerned about brother's health, they think they can get dad to agree to a shift of authority in the company for the time being, opportunists, all of them."

Jihos mouth fell open. He cursed and thought his sister looked like she wanted to curse too but held her tongue out of respect. Jiho however, didn't think she understood the graveness and importance of the topic itself.

If his father was to agee to this...what would happen if his brother woke up to these...changes.

Jiho remembered checking his phone but didn't remember any important meetings being called among executives. This filled him with relief. His brother wasn't dead so who gave them the right to even think about this-

Jiho knew requests like these wouldn't be approved regardless of how long they stood around arguing, but this wasn't what made him a little anxious. Sophia and the others would be here any minute now...plus Miranda who they haven't seen in a long time.

"And, you saw Elijah?" Jiho immediately asked.

She nodded.

"How is he?" He continued in a rush, needing to wrap this up.

She pursed her lips before smiling, "He's better plus Dr Yuri says he could wake up any minute now!"

Jiho nodded. It's no wonder they were trying to get their way with his dad, everything in that regard now had a deadline.

In truth, everyone was feeling pressure on the outside on their various businesses, Osoro.co was the worst out of all yet they still found time to further their personal interest, dragging an elder into it too. This family was truly a golden one, no wonder his dad busied himself elsewhere in the past few days.

Still...Jiho couldn't feel relieved.

He stared at Amelia for a little longer than necessary. She noticed and raised a brow in question.

"Hey..." he began, "can you tell dad to-"

"Jiho, there you are," A voice that was most definitely not Amelia's cut him off.

Amelia who still lingered on his words she followed Jiho's panicked gaze then froze.

"Ah, you're here already?" Jiho recovered and greeted Miranda. When he saw who followed he nearly fainted then and there.

"Sophia!" Amelia only recognized one person from the group of five that made their way down the hall, "You're okay!" She sounded relieved and crossed the short distance to Sophia's side in seconds.

Jiho knew Amelia was genuinely relieved. Both her and Evangeline was just outside the scene almost a week ago. Security was quick to grab them and get them to safety during the chaos and afterwards, Amelia only found out about Sophia from Jiho.

Sophia was with them, sitting upright in a wheelchair, being pushed by a guy Jiho recognized, Seong.

Kayla and Sophia's mother, Marie, was also present, and Miranda walked along with them. All of them was casually dressed, even Sophia was in a light colored shirt and pants, not in her usual gown. Her hair hung down the sides of her face in neat braids.

Jiho knew they wouldn't have any problems with security but he didn't think they'd get here so soon. Not only that, his gaze shot to Sophia. She looked okay but he didn't think she should be up and about already, couldn't she barely sit up a day or so ago?

Jiho was internally panicked although he masked it well.

Not well enough for one person.

"Its okay," Miranda reassured him, "Her doctor said this much was okay...plus laying down all the time could give her bruises and bedsores-" She listed with a gentle smile.

Jiho wanted to remind her that those didn't apply to Sophias current situation...it hadn't even been a full week yet, what awful bedsores could Sophia get? But he held his tongue knowing it was his own confrontational fear starting up.

He could almost still hear his family arguing amongst themselves around the corner in the corridor as well, which made more cold sweat form on his nape.

Jiho's eyes snapped to Sophia who gave him a simple smile. She looked so soft now and carefree, the sight of her alone made him feel the undisguised urge to protect her peace, surprising even himself.

He couldn't let her turn the corner to meet his awful relatives in this state.

He didn't want her to lose her smile.

Don't worry about me, her eyes seemed to say as she spoke, "I insisted, I want to see him."

In answer to that, Jiho felt as if something was gripping his heart.

Amelia was already at Sophia's side, her gaze was fawning. She was completely ignorant to Miranda's sad and melancholic eyes that hardly left her frame for a full minute.

Jiho took a deep breath after surveying the scene. This was for the best, he convinced himself as he got ready to disappoint Sophia. If it was his mother alone, it wouldn't be as taxing but knowing what waited on them around the corner, he was prepared to be the bad guy for now and get in their way.

He was just a little too late.

"What on god's green earth-!" The screech came from the opposite direction, sounding no different from a harpy. Jiho winced, hearing the voice of his loud aunt who had been debating her own interests with his father just now.

It was followed by more sounds of surprise as each of them came around the corner and finally, he heard his dad's voice, dripping with heavy disbelief.

"Miranda?"

• • •

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40.6K 2.5K 50
[Complete] A NEW enemies to lovers, office romance. 🔥 Rated R for mature sexual content and graphic language • 18+ *** Two rivaling company presiden...
187K 3.1K 13
"We've both had too much to drink, David." She whispered into his ear, like a siren with a little flick of her tongue. "And on a weekday too. Boy, we...
808K 14.4K 54
18+ | Angel and demon brought together by accident. Sparks fly and moans reverberate through their bedroom but...neither one knows who they are to e...
269K 7.5K 26
*NEW BOOK! * BONUS CHAPTERS OUT NOW! They say he's hotter than sin, colder than ice. The CEO of a Fortune 500 company. Built from the ground up. He...