Painting Paper Hearts | ✔

By _JSMNC

(Book 1 of Paper Hearts Series | Completed October 2015) EMERALD WREN, a nineteen year old art major w... More

About the Book
foreword
Chapter 1- Feelings in a Canvas
Chapter 2- Price Tag of a Broken Heart
Chapter 3- Home Is Where Your Heart Is
Chapter 4- Murals, Models, and the First Meeting
Chapter 5- The Summer Rain Effect
Chapter 6- Build and Break
Chapter 7- Disagreements
Chapter 8- Change of Heart
Chapter 9- Playing Cinderella
Chapter 10- Into the Darkness
Chapter 11- A Kiss to Remember
Chapter 12- The Sweet Escape and the Kitchen Mishaps
Chapter 13- Let the Fake Relationship Begin
Chapter 14- Sentimental Introduction
Chapter 15 - That Sunday I Saw the Real You
Chapter 16- Troubled
Chapter 17- The Calm Before the Storm
Chapter 18- Mother and Daughter
Chapter 19- Lost and Found
Chapter 20- Under A Star-studded Sky
Chapter 22- Retracing the Past
Chapter 23- For The Sake of Peace and Forgiveness
Chapter 24- I Want To See My Daughter
Chapter 25- Of Tears and Failures
Chapter 26- Skin-Deep
Chapter 27- What I Want
Chapter 28- Fate's Design
Chapter 29- Hope for Hope
Chapter 30- Ultimatum
Chapter 31- Here We Are
Chapter 32- Our Final Say
Epilogue- Our Happiness

Chapter 21- We Found Love

43.1K 1.3K 202
By _JSMNC

*********

Please show your support by voting/comment/sharing this chapter.

*********

After our small appetizing snack and short stargazing at the top of a steep ski hill, we decided to go for a little stroll. We walked with our fingers laced together, making small talks as we took in the calmness around us. Marcus led the way and ended up in the middle of a small quadrangle.

He turned his heel and faced me with a wide grin on his face. "Are you ready for our second destination?"

"What?" Taken aback by his question, my eyes squinted. Before he could give me a proper answer, I heard an incoming sound of rotor. I instantly shot my gaze upwards only to find out and realized what was flying above us.

My mouth gaped. Marcus was not joking about his mysterious "surprise" after all. Nope. Not with a freakin' helicopter flying hundreds of feet, circling above our heads at this hour! When I turned my head towards the mischievous man beside me, his gaze was fixated on me.

"Babe, say something. You're leaving me hanging here," Marcus teased but this man was surely enjoying my stunned state. His picture perfect smile said it all.

"I-I-I I don't know what to say! I mean, we're riding that!" I pointed at the exclusive mode of transportation flying above us. "Where are we going anyway that we need to ride a helicopter?"

"The other side of the resort. It's more convenient to go there with the copter than to walk and it adds to the thrill," He winked. True, it was thrilling and it was also a pleasant surprise to ride a helicopter for the very first time!

Marcus might not be aware but he was absent-mindedly taking many of my first experiences, and I was more than happy to have him beside me while I lived every moment.

Marcus waved his hands up to the sky continuously. My arms concealed the blinding light from the helicopter as it slowly went down to the surface, the sound deafening as it closed the gap. Marcus held my hand with a vice grip, intently keeping me close before the strong wind from the elisi blew me away. In a matter of minutes, the helicopter landed successfully to the ground.

A man wearing a plain white top and onyx pants breezed out of the pilot's seat, strutting tall as he sported an aviator sunglasses. I cocked an eyebrow. The irony of wearing sunglasses in the dark.

"Hey man thanks for doing me a favour. I know the missus won't appreciate your coming here." Marcus greeted the man with a friendly fist bump.

"No, not a problem at all. Anything for a good friend of mine."

"This is Leon Clarke, aircraft extraordinaire, as well as one of my very good friends since high school. Leon, this is my girlfriend Emerald."

"It's a pleasure to meet you," I extended my arm to the man named Leon. His dark locks were clean cut, his face free from stubble. He seemed to be around Marcus's age but with his mature demeanor was deceiving enough. He took off his sunglasses and his dark orbs met mine and smiled.

"Ah. So you're the girl. If you want to hear many of his embarrassing moments in high school, give me a call. I know just about everything and anything about this bastard over here," Amused, he accepted my greeting then winked at me.

"Hey, hey, hey back off Clarke. You're getting a little too friendly and you're married- just so you know," Marcus said to Leon then to me as he pressed his word harder on the word married, making his friend chuckle in delight.

"Chill bro, I'm just messing around. I'm a happy married man and I love and adore my wife. 'Sides, I already cut my ties with the playboy lifestyle the moment I laid my eyes on Jillian,"

Marcus seemed to mentally gag at his friend's corny revelation but I thought it was cute of Leon to mention about his wife even to a stranger like me.

"She sounds like a wonderful woman to me," I said to Leon and to my surprise, his expression exuded more radiance and pride; a picture of a happy married man in my opinion.

"She sure is! And I hate to leave her alone back at our manor because she's currently three months pregnant, but hey, I wouldn't miss finally meeting this bastard's special someone. My wife will be happy to hear that a sweet girl like you will hopefully tie this guy down- for good."

My cheeks flushed red for two reasons: one, Marcus talked about me. Who knew if he bragged about me or what not, but just the sole fact that a close friend of his called me as someone special to Marcus brought butterflies in my stomach.

Second, Leon sounded like he expected me to settle down with Marcus. It was a little too quick to foresee the future in that sense but who wouldn't want to be married with Marcus? He had a romantic bone, financially secured, and a sense of humour. Let us not forget that this guy was a total hunk and a showstopper. For many women, he was a rare fish in the sea.

Too bad he has already been caught by yours truly. I grinned at my own thought.

"I hate to break our conversation but we gotta go, lovebirds. The second surprise awaits," Leon took quick strides towards the helicopter as we tailed behind him, leaving behind the empty picnic basket. The helicopter's rotor ignited once more.

"I noticed that you seem to call all your friends "bastard" and "idiot", that's pretty...unique," I practically yelled to Marcus's ear as the loud engine compete with the small tone of my voice.

"That's the friendship trademark; we know and trust each other very well," my head bobbed up and down. In a matter of seconds, I found myself being helped up to the helicopter by Leon, Marcus waiting behind me.

I buckled my seatbelt and pulled it tight to my body, put on the headphones as Leon instructed, and in a minute, we were up in mid-air. The luminous buttons from the control panel of the pilot blinded my eyes as we dived into the dark sky.

My head gazed down the aerial view, the huge area becoming small and smaller as we went higher. There was not much to see since it was night time. The day time scenery must be nice with the vibrant colours of the grass and trees, the outdoor pools, and beautiful rest house all around the resort. Seeing the world in a different perspective was astonishing.

"How are you feeling?" I heard Marcus through my headphones and I snapped my attention to him.

"I feel great and you're right, this really adds to the thrill,"

In the corner of my eye, I caught Marcus slip his hand to his pocket. He pulled out a well folded handkerchief. "You need to wear this first."

I slightly moved away. "What for?"

"Just wear it. I don't want to spoil the surprise,"

"Alrighty then. This better be good," I bit my lips, a slight chuckle escaped my mouth as my blush tainted my cheeks red rose.

He instructed me to turn my back to him and in an instant, my sight was completely black. The smell of Marcus's scent adhered to the thin piece of fabric and it filled me with delight. In a sense, I was wearing Marcus.

"Ready for landing, lovebirds. Sit tight," interrupted by Leon. I felt Marcus's hand tuck in a small chunk of my hair behind my hair then quickly claimed my hand.

The only time I was blindfolded was when Nana bought my first acrylic paint set from the dollar store when I eight years old. The second time was when I hit my first piñata at my neighbour's birthday party.

The fabric did a good job barring my vision; it was both exciting and nerve racking as being blindfolded had left me vulnerable. I wouldn't be able to tell what was happening around me without Marcus's guidance.

My imagination was my only weapon and it was taking me to the most erroneous images that I could ever imagine. True, I painted nude—but I never pictured Marcus and myself in it!

UGH! No! Erase, erase, erase!

"Are you okay? Do you feel nauseous?" Marcus asked and my head registered his worried expression.

"O-oh, no. I'm fine, really. I'm just too excited to see what you planned for me," I meant that, really. But the image was sending mixed signals in my body that I felt this pooling sensation in my core. It was weird.

"We're here so hang in there. It's not much but I hope you'll like it,"

"Are you kidding me? Whatever it is, I'm going to love it as long as it's from you, Marcus."

He basically rented this resort for the night, took me to the top of a steep hill to stargaze, and used a helicopter as a mode of transportation and he said it wasn't much? That made me arch a brow. Marcus never ceased to amaze me in many levels.

I felt him unbuckle my seatbelt and carefully removed the headphones. I instantly felt that he rushed away from me and in a matter of seconds, I heard another door swung open.

My feet felt the ground as the taller grass tickled the exposed skin on my feet. This was not another golf course for sure. It felt like we were the only one around as Leon suddenly vanished without a hint of his voice. My patience was already wearing thin.

"Can I take it off now?"

"Patience, cupcake. We're almost there,"

We walked in a slower pace and my heart rammed wild in my chest. My nose picked up the scent of aromatic flowers—lavender and roses around. Were we in a garden? I concentrated on the sound of my surrounding, but there was nothing but tranquility.

Finally, he let go of my hand then breezed behind me. I could almost tell he was smiling with pride as he unraveled the tight knot he made. My eyes took its time to adjust to the bright colours that stood out from the darkness around us. Quickly shutting my eyes for a millisecond, I finally caught the beautiful picture in front of me.

Then the amorous cello music started. The ramming of the frail muscle in my chest pounded harder and louder that it was harder to breathe. I put my hands over my mouth as I studied the petals of white and red roses laid on the ground like a red carpet that led to a round table for two. Lights of gold and silver dripped down the trees, resembling the stars above.

"So... Do you like it?" Marcus touched the small of my back then moved me closer to him.

"Like it? I love it!" I exclaimed, looping my arms around his body for a tight hug.

Marcus did not hesitate to tighten his embrace as he picked me up and made a quick 360 turn.

"God, I love you," was what he said and then the music that played in the background gradually faded in my mind. My legs felt jiggly and the butterflies in my stomach fluttered wildly. I heard him right, right?

"W-what?"

"I said... I love you," Marcus repeated again and this time I knew I heard him right. This was not a dream. His words struck me like lightning. "I love you Emerald Wren and don't even dare say you don't love me back."

"I just... I can't believe that you actually love someone like me."

Marcus's forehead wrinkled and his face dropped in dismay. "What do you mean by that? You underestimate yourself too much, love. I'm capable of loving whoever I want but my heart chooses you. I choose you." To tie his reassurance, he pressed a small kiss on my forehead and I closed my eyes to take in the heat of his lips; the lips of whom claimed loved me—that chose me.

Everything was so surreal yet the warmth of his body embracing mine defied all the negativity in my mind.

"I love you too, Marcus." I replied in a whisper, the weight of my words carried the feelings of my heart.

His eyes flickered in the most beautiful way that I was left mesmerized looking at them. The deeper colours of his orbs lighten up the moment I muttered the long awaited reply—that I loved him back.

My eyes stung not because I was hurt or whatever, but because I couldn't believe how my words of affection could affect Marcus. It was prevalent in the way he looked at me, the way he carefully touched me as if I was a frail porcelain doll in his hands.

"Did I say something wrong? " His thumbs pressed the warm water dripping down my cheeks, wiping them away.

"No, of course not. I'm just really... I'm really happy. I don't know what I did to deserve you, Marcus. You show me all of this, do all of these things for me and it's overwhelming me that I don't know whether it's just a dream or not," I said with a snort in the end and my hands instinctively wiped my eyes.

"To be honest, after we separated ways on the day we went to my parent's house, I didn't know how to talk to you after that. You looked so hurt and I was a coward for not saying anything after that. I know I have hurt you—"

"Don't," I interrupted him as I gently pressed a finger on his lips. "You already told me that you were in denial and I know it must have been scary for you to realize what you truly felt. I've forgiven you, Marcus. You have me now. Let's stop looking back and move on, okay?"

"I can't help it. I don't want you to think that you're some sort of a rebound,"

I scoffed and that made Marcus look at me in confusion. "That never even cross my mind at all. You're such a worrywart."

"I guess when it comes to you, I am a worrywart," He scratched the back of his head with a hesitant smile in his face, and oh my goodness from above, why did you make such a sweet and perfect guy like Marcus?

"Shall we?" Marcus added, his one hand leading away towards the trail of petals and the other extended to me.

With a smile, I accepted his hand. "We shall."

I know what you were thinking. We had a succulent gourmet dinner and drank a hundred-year-old wine. There was a table after all.

Actually, there was none of that.

Instead, we danced to the music with only the two cello players, the stars, and the crescent moon as our witness (and probably Leon was watching somewhere but I almost forgot that he was around until I saw the helicopter from afar).

It was like prom all over again but this was far more romantic than my experience. I was just wearing a simple dress with Marcus's coat, dancing in an unfamiliar music.

"Today is just amazing, Marcus. Thank you," I said as we danced. His hand caressed my back and it sent shivers down my spine. His alluring scent and the aroma of the petals danced around us, making me close my eyes and just feel the moment.

"Actually, there's one more teeny tiny little thing that I haven't shown you," Marcus confessed the moment he pulled away from me.

He ran towards the table, grabbed something under a decorative plate then hid something behind his back. I didn't get to see what it was but I was already getting nervous.

"Turn around," he ordered me to and I followed. Patience really wasn't in my vocabulary today. He sure loved the thrill of making me wait, too.

Finally, I felt the cold metal hit my collar bone and heard a small click. My fingers traced the necklace he had put around me, circling the flat circular pendant in between my thumb and index fingers.

"That is to remind me of you when I'm not around," Marcus explained and I turned around. My eyes landed on the pendant and it was a beautiful dark gem but when hit by right lighting, the green turned almost vivid green.

But it slightly made me arch a brow at his choice of remembering him. "Emerald gemstone?"

Marcus chuckled. "I knew you're going to say something about that. But my birthday is in May, and I just realized that my birthstone is Emerald."

I stood aghast and my eyes bulged in disbelief. "Seriously?!"

"Yeah. It makes me feel more like you really are made for me, Emerald. Don't take this necklace off. It's a reminder to anybody who sees you with this necklace that you are mine,"

With a mischievous grin on my face, I poked his side. "Might as well just give me a ring to scare the guys away."

He scoffed and shook his head. "Your ex already gave you a cheap ass ring and I hear it is bad omen."

I didn't know which one was funnier: Marcus being overly jealous about the fact that I already accepted someone else's ring in the past or him believing in superstitious beliefs.

"It's just a joke, Marcus."

"When you graduate from university," Marcus' voice was serious this time. "I will come running to you with a red velvet box in my hand,"

I threw my head back, laughing in delight. I put my arms over his shoulder and my head looked up to his face. "You're crazy, you know that?"

He leaned in closer, our noses touch. "I'm only crazy about you."

If I could die right now, I'd die happy in his arms. But I didn't want to die just yet when everything was going well for the both of us. I feel like I was at cloud nine and I wish this night would never end.

******

My face hit the floor and it hurt like hell!

I gained my consciousness in an instant and realized that I was back in my room. The memories of my quick escapade with Marcus slowly came back to me.

Last night's not a dream, right?

Panic-stricken, I searched for an evidence to know if it was all real. I sighed in relief when my fingers traced the necklace around my neck, and the feeling of holding a tangible evidence from last night made me draw back a smile. A wide one.

If Erin was here, she'd be all over this necklace, screaming her lungs out at how pretty it was. I wanted to tell everything that happened!

My hands reach over to my table and grabbed my phone. It was only nine in the morning and I had no idea what time I came home.

All I remembered was I was safe and no one saw me creeping into the house and into the studio. My heart leaped in joy when I saw Marcus's message and I quickly tapped his message.

Marcus: I'll be in Berlin for the next three days, babe. After that I'm off to Tokyo again for another negotiation. I'll e-mail you as often as I can ok? I miss you and I love you.

My high spirits dropped faster than I thought when I read that he wouldn't be in the country for another week. His job must be very taxing with the endless traveling and time change.

I shrugged off my negativity instead and typed my reply.

Remember to eat and sleep well. I love you too! See me when you're back? I tapped the sent button and got up. I decided to give Erin the good news after a cold shower.

My head was already filled with ideas on what I should do for a new painting. The images from above the copter last night certainly lit inspiration inside me.

With a smile on my face, I grabbed the towel hanging on top of the couch and headed to the door when I heard someone conversing in the living room.

It was mom, I recognized it.

And a man.

My heart pounded hard as I opened my door wide open to see the man's face. Mom was dumbfounded and the man just looked at me with an apologetic expression in his face.

"Um... what's going on?" I asked but I was scared as to what mom was going to say.

"You must be Emerald." The man smiled at me.

Frantically, mom turned to the man. "Just get out! We don't want you here!"

*****

A/N: Here's another update! Let me just leave it in a cliffhanger for a moment ;)

I hope you liked it!

Song: I Love You by Avril Lavigne

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

231K 3.2K 42
ONGOING 2024!!! Dating A Fnaf Boy isn't as easy as it seems. It comes with it's ups and downs, but no matter what they still love you. Characters: Fr...
15.7K 501 62
Alone. A simple word that has always held many meanings to Ella, and starting her senior year at a new high school, solitude had seemed the easiest w...
349K 11.5K 46
"Who the hell are you little girl?" He asked. "A human unlike you jackass," I snapped immediately, surprised by my own answer. His grip loosened as h...
15.6K 273 5
(Y/n) lives an average life. That is until an alien invasion leads to him getting engaged to an alien girl named Lum.