I AM AWAKE! ♡

happy_day85

People can be lost anywhere in the world... So tell me why do most of those people die in places you're meant... Еще

Website's
Playlist
You're AWAKE
6:32 am
Book Quote Break
Stay away
Why me?
Why?
Book quote break
I love you
Go read

You're kidding

757 9 0
happy_day85

Clay

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I listened to the water around me. It's peaceful. I then hear a voice that makes me open my eyes to see her.

"Hey"

"Hey, what are you doing under there?"

"Just thinking."

"About what? Wait let me guess. You were thinking about making love to me all morning and then taking me out for a really big breakfast?"

"Close"

"Yeah?"

"I was picturing you soaking wet with all your clothes on"

"No"

She tried to run, but it was too late I grabbed her arm and pulled her into the tub.

We get ready together after that. Being with her makes me happy in the mornings. Can't imagine not waking up next to her.

We got out of her apartment checking the mail as usual, and she drove me to work, but before we got there I had to handle a work call.

"Got time for a little breakfast?" She asks

"You know I can't," I tell her

"You know, share a paper, trade sections?"

"Sam, I'm late as it is."

"I don't even know what section you like, Clay. I deserve my happily ever after, too"

"I know you do."

"And I'm going to tell her, soon. I promise."

"Have a good day."

"You, too."

I leave and walk out to my mother's home. I'm ready for today. Three people make life worth living. My mother, Sam, and...

"Hey lover boy," she hugs me. "Did you get here with Sam?"

"Yeah, she just dropped me off. How's my mother doing?"

She was about to answer when my mom interrupted her.

"Don't you dare answer that truthfully Lena," my mother said walking in. She hugs me.

"Good morning, Mom."

"Don't forget we're meeting the board at 2."

"I can't do 2. I'm meeting with Dr. Harper this afternoon." From the corner of my eye, I can see Lena making a face.

"Just be there. These Japanese companies are ruthless. We have to close this merger." She says before walking out of the room.

Helena was about to walk out of the room, but I stopped her.

"What was that look you made?"

"What look, I didn't make any look," she says trying to leave.

"When I mentioned Murphy, you made a look."

"No. I didn't"

"It's the same look you gave me when I told you I was seeing Sam, Lena."

"Okay, so what, I make a face when I don't like people, no big deal, now bye Clay."

"Why don't you like her?" She doesn't know it, because I don't tell her, but I care about her opinion a lot. It's always been that way ever since we were kids.

"It doesn't matter why I don't like her, Clay, as long as you're happy." She says. Her phone then rings. She answer's professionally before she hangs up.

"There's a potential serial killer on the loose. Do you think that's reason enough for you to let me walk out the door?" She asks.

"Yeah, of course." I move out of the way.

"Thanks, bye, might be gone for a while," she says before kissing me on the cheek and walking by.

"Stay safe out there."

She's now out the door ready to do the job that makes me scared for her life. She works for the Federal Bureau of Investigation or better known as the FBI. She does good in a horrible world, but sometimes I wish she wouldn't be chasing serial killers or killers at all.

Time skip

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Is this about your old man? Is it about him?"

"Jesus, I'm not going through this again, Jack."

"Honestly, he would want you to tell her."

"No, my father would want me to stop fishing in the middle of the day and go back to work, all right? If he knew what I was doing with Sam, he'd disown me, lying to my mom like this. He'd throw me in the fucking river. He didn't even like Helena, he was racist and didn't want to see her."

"I want you to take a good look around you, Clay. You own half of this city. You're creating jobs, you're saving companies. I think you've more than filled his shoes, you know?"

"My dad's feet were four sizes bigger than mine, Jack. I can't even fill his socks."

"Look, I got the rings, didn't I? I got the license." I look away from him rolling my eyes as he continues. "No, no, no, no. It's not that difficult. You set a date and you just do it."

"It's not that easy, either. I mean, marriage..."

"Look, she's your mother. You tell her and, I swear to you, she'll be happy."

"You don't know my mother. Listen, thanks for the fishing lesson. I'm leaving, all right?" I tell him.

"All right, man."

"Look, just... just come on with me. Do you know how many bullshit malpractice lawsuits there are in this country? I mean, a hard-working doctor is trying..."

"Are we going to go through this again, Jack?"

"Well, look, I've got..."

"Four. Yes, I know. All for trying to save people's lives. It's a disgrace."

"Well, you know why they sue us?"

"I have a very busy day."

"Please." He says. I let him finish. "It's because they don't know what to do with their grief. It's because people need someone to blame. It's because of patients like you who cannot accept the facts. Come on in. Get acquainted. Lie down."

We enter the operating room and I observe everything around, and all my eye catches is the operating table right in front of me. In the middle of the room. I lie down.

"Only because you're my friend. I'm your doctor. Get comfortable. How's it feel?"

"Not so bad."

"These, Clay, are the facts. When I open up your chest and remove your heart, it is a very real possibility that you will die right here on this table. And if the transplant is successful, there is a 50% chance that you'll be dead in 10 years. The clock's ticking."

"So it's tough love today, huh?" I say trying to lighten the heavy weight on my chest.

"You think this is a joke," he turns around to grab something." Look at that. Hold it," he says, holding up a scalpel and handing it to me.

"That's surgical steel. A hundredth of an inch thick. That thing will slice through you as if you weren't even there. Picture it, Clay. Picture the incision. Imagine what it will be like. I need you to be ready. I need you to be prepared. You get your house in order, just in case. Tell your mother and best friend, marry the girl, and live your life. You might not have much of it left. Okay?"

I nodded, and we were interrupted by someone entering the room. I'm not paying attention to what's going on. I frankly don't care.

Time skip

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm outside and I hear my phone ring. I picked it up.

"Promise me you'll kiss me all over." I hear Sam's voice on the other end.

"Well, I've got a big Halloween party tonight, but how about I sneak out afterward?" I tell her seeing that she's outside looking at me.

"What's wrong with right now?"

I start walking in her general direction.

"Well, I can't. I'm..."

"I know it's daylight and all, but I missed you."

"You look beautiful, Sam."

"I do?"

"Yeah, you do. I should tell you that more often." I say walking past her.

"What's wrong?"

"I'm sorry. I didn't know she was going to be here, all right? If I turn around, she'll see." I saw my mother's car. I couldn't risk it.

"This is getting boring, Clay."

"Uh-huh," I say before hanging up and entering my mother's car.

Once I enter the car I am greeted by my mother and Dr. Neyer.

"You remember Dr. Neyer, don't you?" My mother states. I just give a simple nod.

"Hello, Clayton. Good to see you again."

"We've already been through this. Dr. Harper's my surgeon. I've already told you-" I say.

"I know, but Jonathan leads the field, remember? And even Lena agrees you should do the surgery with him. I trust her judgment." My mother counters.

"Yeah, well, as I said before, I have a surgeon."

"Now, I know he's been on the donor list for a year, Lilith, but that's completely normal for his type. O-negatives like you and your son always wait a little longer. It just means you're special, that's all." Dr. Neyer states to my mother as if I left the vehicle.

"Excuse me. I don't think you're listening to what I'm saying-" I try to interrupt.

"Although, since he has a cardiomyopathy of undetermined etiology-" he continues.

"Hey. I'm sitting right here. You want to talk about me, talk to me."

"Clay." My mother scolds.

"It's fine, Lilith. You and Dr. Harper have become friends. He was on call when you had your first attack. He saved your life. I get the attachment. I do. But your mother and I have been friends for 15 years. My hands have been inside presidents. Don't you think I might at least deserve the time of day? You want to be operated on by the best surgeon possible. Don't you, Clay?"

I nod.

"Good." He finishes.

Продолжить чтение

Вам также понравится

7.8K 174 12
Arya Lestrange is a normal girl. If you don't count the crazy mother and the dead father of course. Once her mother was put in Azkaban she had a new...
AM hmc2506

Фанфик

35.1K 911 12
Every song in the album AM by Arctic Monkeys was inspired by one girl: Arabella Mitchell, and her intoxicating relationship with Alex Turner.
276K 8.2K 93
Daphne Bridgerton might have been the 1813 debutant diamond, but she wasn't the only miss to stand out that season. Behind her was a close second, he...
241K 6.4K 48
❝ Statistics are human beings with the tears wiped off ❞. ↣ In which a boy and a girl grow up together and get separated by a tragedy, only to be lef...