Burn Baby Burn

By matchabook_

A wedding encounter can lead to a revenge. Jennie thinks Taehyung's sweet nothings, flirts, and pick up line... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6

Chapter 2

221 29 7
By matchabook_

Jennie suddenly froze. Does she see a ghost? Or is she hallucinating? It's been like what? A year maybe? When she feel tingling on her body, it's like someone watching her, she turn her head to the side and suddenly her eyes immediately direct her vision to the back of an ambulance truck with open door and there's a man sit on it while there's an oxygen in his mouth and a bandaid on his hand.

This can't be. How could she see him again? She shakes her head and closes her eyes. "No, no, no. This is not happening. Not in time like this." Jennie mumbled to herself while still closing her eyes. She made an affirmation to focus on what's important now. Her column project.

When she opens her eyes, the person changes to a guy standing there with his back facing her. She noticed the figure. She feels the pocket on her coat and walks to him.

Jennie gathered herself to be brave. Maybe it is still a busy night for a firefighter because they are still gathering around the building, but her heart is still not well.

"Hello?" She tapped the guy's back and he turned around immediately. But, her eyes see directly to the person in front of him.

It turns out, what she imagined when she's standing ten feet away was right. It's V all along. Her romantic encounter at a wedding reception one year ago.

"Huh? Hello? Excuse me, who are you looking for?" Jennie is still staring at this V guy who got confused why she stared at him like that without realizing the man standing in front of V who she tapped earlier called her.

"Miss?" Jennie jolted a bit and turned to the guy. "Hey, uhm, remember me? We met at the soup cafe, uh, i want to give you this back. I didn't feel right, you just gave your money like that, it was an accident and clearly this accident right now is bigger than our accident this morning." Jennie let out a fifty dollar bill that the firefighter gave for bumping her earlier.

"Apparently, the cashier saw us and they gave me a free exact order for that accident." Jennie explained.

"You came here only to do this?" The guy arched his eyebrows. "No, no, uhm this is my building. I work here and on the exact floor that got burned. I want to check on it and I'm curious too."

"Oh, is that so? Well you still can't work tomorrow because you need to be assured that there's no possible fire or source anywhere that could lead to another explosion." He said.

"Uhm, okay." Jennie still takes a glance at V who just stares at the victim lying on the ground. The guy seems so confused so he speaks again. "So, thank you for this, miss. Is there anything you need?"

Jennie turns her head to the guy again. "No, uhm, please call me Jennie. Thank you for putting out the fire." She smiled. She is still curious why V looks like he doesn't recognize me at all.

"Oh yes, Jennie, you're welcome. I'm Edward Choi." He offered a handshake. "Jennie Ruby Jane Kim." She purposely said her full name for V to notice her but still . . . Nothing.

Edward seems to notice Jennie grew some kind of interest which still he can't figure out why to his friend in front of him, so he taps his thigh.

"Hey, Chief. Uh, Jennie, this is Taehyung Kim. The act of station 30 chief." He snapped his head towards her because he thought she acted weirdly for the entire time.

"Hi, i'm Taehyung Kim.", "Hi." Jennie suddenly acts shyly but still confused why he just acts like he is completely oblivious to who she is. "Hi, I'm Jennie Ruby Jane Kim." She emphasizes the 'Ruby' name again.

"Okay. . . Uh, so did you know exactly what could have triggered the fire?" He asked. "The microwave. We already requested to replace it but they just ignored it and someone using it forgot that it was broken." Jennie said.

"Oh, that's bad." Edward replied. "Choi! I need a list for a burning victim at your station!" The paramedic called behind Jennie.

"Okay, boss, stay here because you need to rest. Uhm, Jennie, nice to meet you." Jennie nods and she sees Taehyung's condition is pretty bad and she also notices there's burn scars on his hand.

"Is it really bad?" Jennie asked hesitantly while she pointed at his hand. Taehyung followed where she pointed and chuckled.

"Pretty much, but I don't feel it that much." After that there's a long silence between them which makes Jennie nervous.

"I should go. Thank you for your work, uhm, get well soon." When Jennie was about to turn around and left, Taehyung grabbed her hand when Jennie just took one step away from him.

Jennie's heartbeat stops. She feels like in a movie because his grip is giving her a tingling sensation. She turns her head to see his hand and looks up to him who looks like he's thinking something and gets confused.

His face is not changing, it's always this handsome. Because he put down the mask and his jacket that wrap around him,, she can see clearly his bulky chest and shoulder through his navy shirt. Okay, it feels like she never saw this last time she met him. . . On his bed, naked.

"Do you know me or something?" Taehyung's question makes Jennie a bit hurt and confused too.

Should she be honest? But if he denies it, wouldn't it put a shame on her?

"Do you know me?" Jennie asked back again. She doesn't want to lose in this game. Either he is playing stupid or just forgot everything they did one year ago, which makes him a completely huge jerk on the planet.

"No." He's a jerk, Jennie thought.

How come he said no? Did he really not mean what he said one year ago?

"I never met you but your face since the beginning looks like you know me because you put on a shock face like I'm some kind of ghost or something. I'm not a celebrity so I know that you're amazed by me isn't an answer." Taehyung added.

"Uh, I thought you're Edward and got injured pretty badly. I mean i saw him completely fine at the soup cafe, and if i see this, i would've can't stand to see him." Jennie's excuse doesn't have much of a perfect answer. It's a lame answer.

Luckily, Taehyung just shrugged. "Oh, uh, okay. Sorry. Nice to meet you. Goodnight." He stood up and tidied up the oxygen back.

Jennie stares at his back and is confused. Is this some kind of sick game he is playing? But, when Jennie was about to turn around, he called her.

"Jennie." She turns around again and this time she's pissed.

Suddenly, Taehyung gives her a business card. His business card. "I know it's a long shot but when i saw you for the first time there, i thought you're the prettiest girl i ever met. Call me, please. I didn't bring my phone, it's in the station, but I found this on my pants." Taehyung said.

He grabbed the medicine bag and closed the ambulance. Jennie just stares at the card and goes back to him again. Taehyung gave her a wink and left. She doesn't know why she didn't say anything, she got choked when he asked if she knew him and next thing she knew, Taehyung hit on her. . . Again.

She's so sure, V is Taehyung.

Taehyung chuckles when he sees Jennie's reaction. "Hey Edward! I'm going!" Edward turned around but he got confused, "Where? Don't you have to go with the paramedics to the hospital?"

"I can go there by myself, i want to go to a particular hospital, i have a friend who is really good and she said i should stop by."

"She? Just saying you want a hospital date with her." Edward arched his eyebrows.

"She's an old friend! And my brother's wife.", "oh! I'm sorry, I thought you're in love with this girl." Edward said it with a sarcastic tone.

"I used to date her." Edward widens his eyes. "What? Your brother's wife is your ex? Hey! Explain it!" Taehyung left right away and made Edward scream.

He just chuckled how everyone he talked to kept amazed by his words.

It takes about twenty minutes to drive but he doesn't mind. They get down from the truck and immediately walk to the ER. At first, he confused where he's going because he thought he can immediately spotted a particular girl he wants to see, he gave up and go straight to the nurse station.

"Excuse me, uhm, i'm the firefighter from Myers Building on the 9th ave that got burned. My friend Dr. Jisoo Kim said she wants to examine me." Taehyung explained.

The nurse picks the phone immediately and quickly dial someone. "Okay, let me check. You could go to bed 8."

He waited in bed for about ten minutes, and someone opened the curtain. "Hey! I was surprised when the nurse accused me of wanting to examine a particular hot firefighter."

Taehyung chuckled and smiled at her. "Well, she's right, I'm hot."

"Okay, enough. Let me check you." She stands in front of him and starts to detect his lungs. "Breath."

Taehyung got silent and did as she said a couple of times. "I got burned on the arm, Dr. Kim."

"I know, I caught it with my eyes." Jisoo chuckled. "Okay, your breathing is fine, how long have you been in the building?"

"Twelve hours" , "Straight?!" Jisoo's eyes get bigger. "Yeah."

"How come your mom really agrees to this?" Jisoo shakes her head, disbelieving of what her brother-in-law had been through.

"She's fine since your husband and Namjoon were the one who convinced her this is completely fine."

"Well, it's typical Jin, he really wants you to still have a life even though dad can't see all of this." Jisoo replied. She took off the bandage and examined his wound again.

She takes off the scars that can be taken out from his skin and Taehyung hissed. "Sorry, but as long as it can stick out from your skin it should—", "be taken out so it won't fester the actual wound. I know." Taehyung cut her.

"Wow, should I hope Dr. Kim is back on duty again? It seems like you still remember those medicine school days." Jisoo smiled.

"I want to, but I kinda enjoy being a badass." Taehyung replied. "Yeah, and hear everyone calls you a hot firefighter."

"Hey, i could be a hot doctor too and you would want to take me back again." Jisoo is taken aback when she hears it. She looked at him with a shook eyes.

"Kidding! Besides, earlier I met a girl."

"Oh yeah, who's this girl?" Jisoo asked immediately to change the topic. "She's one of the victims, her office floor burned in fire. I could see she's disappointed."

"You take advantage of a victim, huh? I thought you're being a firefighter for doing a noble thing, Taehyung." Jisoo shakes her head and pretends to be disappointed.

"It's rare for me to hit on a girl while at work! This is my first time. So, I gave her my business card. I didn't bring my phone." Taehyung starts his story. "What made you think she will call you?"

"I just know. She keeps staring at me like I'm some kind of celebrity.", " Okay, I can't hear how you're being full of yourself. So, I'm done! You should treat your wound at home everyday. I bet you still have your medical kit, use it nicely or I will tell your mom and make her freaked out, then you stop being a firefighter." Jisoo nagged her while pointing her stethoscope to his face.

Taehyung chuckled, "I'll think about it. Thank you! See you soon!"

"I'm not going to the mansion this week, I have brunch with my family and Jin is coming with me." Jisoo informed him but he shook his head.

"I mean, to treat my wounds. I will come back if I am too lazy to treat it myself." Taehyung opened the curtain and left right away before she nagged him again.

"Jerk!" Jennie opens the door and throws her bag to the couch. Suga and Hyoyeon, who are already half way through the column, snap their heads towards her and look at each other confusedly.

"I'm confused. You go there feeling sad but suddenly you meet some jerk? Are you getting hit on in that area?" Hyoyeon asked.

"Yes." Jennie answered.

Suga arched his eyebrows, he sensed it had something to do with a guy. "Who did you meet exactly? Kai again? He's there? He wants to take you back?" Jennie only shakes her head.

"V.", "WHAT?" Hyoyeon and Suga shouted in unison.

"A guy that makes your night to remember? Wow, call it destiny." Hyoyeon commented.

"No, it's not destiny. He's pretending that he didn't know me, or he just forgot who i am! And what is more irritating, he gave me his number!" Jennie put out his business card to show them.

But, Suga and Hyoyeon are in an urge to laugh, they can't contain themselves so they just smile foolishly. "It's not funny."

Suga cleared his throat when Jennie just snapped. "Yes, uhm, we're sorry, but is that why you're really bad at dating for this whole year? Was that the reason you did not grow interested in Kai? Because you believe destiny will meet both of you again?"

"You're madly deeply in love with him!" Hyoyeon added. "No!" Jennie exclaimed but she was still trying to defend herself. "I just-i just pissed. . . you know when someone doesn't know you. . ."

Suga and Hyoyeon smirking when Jennie keeps stuttering to make an excuse. She feels so foolish to ever think she can make a memorable impression on a handsome guy. Yes, she said it. Taehyung is handsome.

"How romantic was the scene? Are you guys playing piano in an empty ballroom? Were you guys dancing without a song in that ballroom while your feet were naked? Or both of you naked?" Suga grinned when he said it, Hyoyeon was trying to hold another laugh when she imagined it.

Some of them are true. The dancing. That dance in the empty ballroom after they emptied out a bottle of champagne made her alive that day.

"I think I'm in love with you."

She doesn't know why she wasn't scared the moment he said those words. They just met, like an hour ago. But, she guessed he believed in love at first sight.

His words from the entire night never tired her, it's not a lame flirting or smooches, it is a story he tells about himself. How dumb he was about being too obsessed with a first love, but he guessed it was never first love all along. First love is not about who is our first, but does it make you crazy in love? Do they make you feel like the world stops and it belongs to just the two of us?

Then, she just hoped after he said those things, this love he talked about when he just confessed.

"Did you just daydream about that night again?" Hyoyeon squinted her eyes when Jennie just drowned in her own thoughts, making an awkward silence.

Jennie blinks her eyes and turns to them again. "NO! Ugh! Jerk!" Jennie goes back to her bedroom to work on her desk again to mix up the color for painting the column.

She can't believe he just left everything they did one year ago just like that. Is he playing a game? Like eventually there's another romantic surprise gesture when they meet again? When she called him again. . .

Jennie looks at his business card again. She contemplates checking what he is up to. But, she guessed today is not the day. She has to focus herself on the stupid column.

After about three full days without sleeping, she finally got to her office building again. Jiyong, her boss, already rescheduled the meeting. He rented a different office floor way down from the actual office. The authority said it still needs to be evacuated and all cleanup so for the 24th floor and up, it is still forbidden for anyone to come in.

"So, the column will be a tan oyster color, and the bench would be in the center of it. I was thinking of adding a water fountain in a long line shape in a half circle outside the column." Jennie presented her column to the NY Public Library board members.

They examined it and saw it again on the white board about the list Jennie would make. Jennie is so nervous because there's a long silence in the conference room that makes her hands so sweaty and trembling. Will they say no? Is this column that bad? But, suddenly they nod and clap their hands. Jennie is really happy she can see a smile around them. Jiyong is also really proud of her.

"Here." Jiyong suddenly put down a thick proposal on Jennie's desk. After the meeting, she goes back to her desk to make a report and start scheduling the build. Jennie was confused.

"Uh? For what?" Jennie asked. "Another skyscraper project. This is for Lion Bank.

Jennie's eyes get wider and her hands tremble when she slowly reaches the proposal, Jiyong chuckles when he sees her reaction. "Ano-another? Fo-for real?" Jennie stuttered. She can't even open the page because it looks unreal.

Her first skyscraper was built one year ago, it's not technically built from scratch, she just renovated half of the high floors, but it's a big achievement for her.

But, she sees that this is clearly a whole new building. "Are you really gonna give me this? I will lead this project?!" Jennie asked again, she still can't believe Jiyong trusts her.

"Yes, Jennie. This is about a dozen times our client approves your work as a solo lead on a project. So, I will give you a hard one. It's time to step up the game. Maybe, if you keep doing this great work, you can get a promotion."

Jennie jolted up from her seat and looked at Jiyong with glistening eyes. "Sir, I am really grateful for giving me an opportunity to make a great performance for a promotion with this project, I won't let you down!"

Jiyong laughs with his low voice, "Okay, calm down. I won't believe it until I see it, so see you on that project." Jiyong said and left.

She's about to type something on her computer when someone startles her with the sound of confetti and colorful pieces falling down to her body and desk.

"Congratulations!" She recognizes their voice.

"Geez! Are you going to make another fire at this office? The sound is like a bomb." Jennie complained. She put her hand on her chest while she closed her eyes for a moment. She clearly is not a fan of any loud sound or surprises, especially a scary one.

She is always out of breath when something surprises her. It's like a demon sucking her breath or it's like a heart attack. She has to calm down for a bit to make a sudden light headache and heart thumping stops.

"Come on! Congratulations for your first lead project! And the client finally accepted your column today! See? In every obstacle there's a light in it!" Hyoyeon cheered.

"Here! We got you something!" Suga handed her a medium box wrap in blue wrapping paper and a bow.

Jennie tears it immediately and smiles. "Guys! This set of drawing tools is too much! There's so many tools and pencils in it! You just gave me a one year supplies!"

"That's the point! You can use it until your skyscraper project is done! This all a lucky tools." Hyoyeon explained.

Jennie hugs them, she is so grateful that she has this kind of friend, they both stay at her apartment until they completely finish with the column. She literally cried when they finished.

"Ms. Jennie?" Joy, the receptionist, called her. "Oh hey Joy, what's up?"

"Uh, someone is waiting for you at the front door. It's Taehyung Kim."

Jennie widens her eyes, how can he be here? What is he doing here? Meanwhile, Suga and Hyoyeon stare at each other because how it can be this complicated but somehow sweet.

"Uh, um, okay, I'll be right there. Thanks, Joy."

She stood up and gathered herself. "Okay, this is crazy! I didn't call him for a reason and he still insists by showing up here?!" Jennie panicked.

Hyoyeon shrugged but she's not surprised. "Well, he's interested in you. Maybe that night he's too stressed. You said he was devastated when the groom knocked up the stripper. Maybe. . . After that night, something big happened that he needed to handle that made him forget about you."

Jennie still can't accept the excuse or assumption. She looks at herself in the compact mirror. She trained to act mad or arrogant to make him realize she's not interested in him or impressed by his guts.

When she walks, she notices he stands there with his back facing her with his elbow on top of the receptionist counter making his bulky arm get even bulkier and she can see a vein imprint on those sleeves.

"Uhm, excuse me? Hello?" Taehyung turned around with a grin but Jennie already got everything in plan. "Oh it's you." Jennie said bitterly, she put her hands folded in front of her chest while looking at him unimpress.

"You didn't call me." Taehyung said, still with a sweet, soft, and sincere smile like he's kinda fine with it but he's hoping for her to call.

Jennie just shrugged, how dare those smiles be so sweet and sincere after he just hitted on her when there's a burning building on site? And even worse, does this guy clearly not recognize her? Did he hit his head or something?

"I have my reason." Jennie said, still unamused. "And that is?" Taehyung furrows his eyebrows.

Jennie thinks for a moment, it's time to show him that he's a jerk. She has to burst out her anger for making her a fool.

"Because. . . Hey! Even though my office got burned, it doesn't mean I have time off!" Wait what? What did she just say? Where's the 'how dare you forget about that night at the wedding'? She already rehearsed it for three days, she even made Hyoyeon and Suga startled when she rehearsed it with a shout out of nowhere when they painted her column.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I never thought of that, but I thought maybe you're interested in me too." She did so much. For a year.

"Well, my scale model is gone so i have to make a new one." Jennie said. "So you are interested in me? You didn't say no." Taehyung arched his eyebrows.

"No. . . Okay, why are you trying to hit me at every turn on every damn chance?" Jennie starts her irritating act.

"Don't you remember what I said in the ambulance?"

Jennie scoffed. "It's not relevant, you're forgetting our night at the wedding too." She mumbled really low but good enough for Taehyung to hear her voice.

"What did you say?", "what? No, nothing. Continue." Jennie said.

"I said you're pretty the moment I saw you, so what do you say?" Taehyung waited again.

"What do you want me to say?", "uhm, say yes for a date tonight?" Taehyung assured her.

"I can't, i have another scale model I need to draw. This accident makes me all packed up. I think you should go back to your station or something." She gestured her finger to show where he should go, leave this office.

"I am working here. They need to investigate the area. I'm here for three days from now. I'll be back." Taehyung winked and left.

Jennie scoffed. How can he be this confident? First, he forgot about her, now he has the confidence that she's interested in him? Jerk. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.9K 213 23
Kim Taehyung, the son of the biggest mafia in South Korea, who has just completed his middle school decides to live his highschool life like any othe...
66.6K 2.1K 21
When Jennie Kim only wants to live her own life, Jisoo, her bestfriend forces her to get a new job as a cook in a big company where the CEO is unknow...
22.8K 625 41
A story where these ship:Liskook,Jirose,Taennie,Jinsoo take the main role🤗 Liskook:After being away from him for 4 years ,she went back to her belov...
194K 5.2K 55
Two strangers tied up in a marriage. Is it a mistake or fate? [Complete]